Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Denver gets mini-nuked in The Sum of All Fears, the Hill gets 9/11'd in Debt of Honor, the Iranians unleash an ebola outbreak in Executive Decisions, Washington DC narrowly avoids getting nuked in The Bear and the Dragon, and by the time we pick up the story in Teeth of the Tiger, the physician that distributes succinylcholine injection guns to Jack Ryan's son to help him run his black-than-black-op intel service tells us he joined this assassination outfit because he "had a brother working in Cantor Fitzgerald on the 102nd floor of the North Tower"

Lol my mom is both really conservative and an avid reader of thriller trash but even she got to teeth of the tiger and was like "uh so the presidents friends just have a literal blank check to murder anyone they dont like? What?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i actually liked hunt for red october even if it is red scare poo poo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I too thought it was a little overhyped but there are some genuinely great bits in there. The art show was loving hilarious

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Captain America: Winter Soldier might inspire some people to join the alphabet agencies :ohdear:

well the reveal is that the spy agencies are literally Nazi staybehinds

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

they just throw that out there but still trust that well understand the problem was permanently solved for all future movies since captain america successfully punched a bunch of nazis

oh of course, everything has to reset to status quo at the end of the movie

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

national review has better film criticism than most mainstream publications because their writers have mastered the dark art of discussing plot without just doing plot summaries

it really is unnerving how bad most professional film critics are when it comes to that half the comments on any given variety review are just yelling at the reviewer for including spoilers for no reason

weirdly their print critic is ross douthat, but their online stuff is just hilarious hot takes

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The show was pretty good even if it did have a bit too much residual Ennis but I cannot imagine a watchmen tv show being good at all

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I just realized I had Ennis and Ellis mixed up

Dickeye need your opinion on from hell because I heard it mentioned recently and jack the ripper was a freemason working for the Victorian British sounds just crazy enough for me

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah I'm not super into comics but afaik Cap has always been about an idealized America and frequently ends up turning against the actual American government

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

anyway this is completely subjective but the best musical is Little Shop of Horrors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPkYGM0q0YI

Little Shop of Horrors is a deeply reactionary story about how the struggles of the poor lead them to unleash a monster that consumes the world, please @ me because there's no point in a hot take if you cant argue about it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also Les Mis rules

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1180330977240989696

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i think it's possible he was trying to do a sorta radlib thing about how if you treat the poor badly they'll do stupid things like start a revolution maybe? idk havent seen it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Still funny to me that they are turning the boys into a successful tv show considering the amount of ghoulish sexual violence and gore that happens in that comic.

its one of those things that very much benefits from editing

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I did like that Homelander just straight up quotes GWB afterwards

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Last Temptation of Christ as "crime flick" has to be a joke right

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you exclude kids movies, remakes, and series, rhe first original movie in there is The Martian at 41

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

ikanreed posted:

The USA isn't a dead culture. It's an undead culture, a grotesque Frankenstein's monster made from the corpses of past culture

Yeah the martian's dialogue is also like 30% nerd pop culture references

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly there's a lot of media that basically presents all the insane fears of the right as correct and we need hard men to fight them, but also throw in an American bad guy or something so the writers can still call themselves liberals

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

i remember westworld s1 had lots of people talking about it and p much everyone ive seen said s2 sucked and dropped it there

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Watching Paths of Glory for armistice day. Thought the general was over the top but then I looked it up and its all true

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Alhazred posted:

WWI was insane. Everyone knew when the armistice was coming for example but the generals still sent their troops into combat in order to grab land. Henry Nicholas John Gunther was killed one minute before the armistice went into effect.

yeah like i knew it was bad in general but when he started calling artillery down on his own men i was thinking "okay this is some 40k bullshit"; except it actually did happen. it's like the reverse enemy at the gates

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

this is why i dont consider most vietnam movies to be antiwar movies they get as far as war is hell but just act like this is an inevitable aspect of the human condition and not the direct outcome of decisions made by a small number of rich idiots who never suffer consequences from failure

the way officers are lionized in media today would have been unfathomable a couple of generations ago because back when a significant portion of the general population actually served in the armed forces however briefly pretty much everyone had an anecdote about that time a superior officer nearly got them killed over some petty easily predicted pratfall

This is why the best modern war movie is Generation Kill

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I am entirely okay with a reading of the prequels that its about the Jedi hubris that blows up the galaxy because their heads are firmly up their own asses, in fact I thought that was pretty obvious from any reasonable viewing; that doesn't change the fact that they're boring as hell

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

One of the big reasons that people didn't like the PT was that they were expecting the Jedi to be great wise leaders of a utopian society, but it turns out they are hypocritical liberal cops propping up capitalism.

Not the only reason, mind you. But a lot comes down to not realizing that George Lucas understands, for example, that the hero's journey is (at best) a narrative which lends itself very easily to fascism.

See the thing here is that looking at the original trilogy theres some stuff like the whole "are droids slaves" thing and the reference to Triumph of the Will and so on, but the story doesn't really work if you want to say that Lucas was trying to tell a story where the hero's journey is bad (compare Dune, where its pretty obvious). Of course you can read it against the intention of the author and of course that is more or less what the prequels are doing, but I don't think that the OT is like a really deep cover Vervohoven or something

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Can't wait to be on this still dead forum in a decade arguing with people saying the original disney movies were way better than the deck they're putting out now

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I will side with the "OT is deep cover Starship Troopers" theory if it makes people like that mad

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Forceholy posted:

Are you calling a Guatemalan dude white?

He's just going to be Rey's love interest in next movie.

Poe Mengele-Eichmann

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wasn't into darkness written by a 911 truther

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

The rlm videos are pretty good at explaining why people don't like the prequels. They're pretty bad at actually analyzing them.

Just accept you don't like the prequels becaus ethey didn't live up to the hype and/or give you what you wanted and move on with your life. When someone says they like the prequels or that they'r enot that bad? Just shrug, don't go acusing them of loving gaslighting, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

What is the internet for but arguing about pointless bullshit

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Serf posted:

my favorite bit of background on the prequels is that lucas had no interest in directing them, and he asked basically all his friends to do it and they, rightly, told him that it would be a career disaster to try and do more star wars. but the funny part is that he asked david lynch and its so loving funny to imagine the lynchian star wars movies

That just Dune

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

black 47 is a pretty decent movie, watch it if you want to see redcoats get murked

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Finicums Wake posted:

the best thing about the prequels was the n64 pod racing game. i haven't seen the sequels, and i hope i'm not subjected to them. rogue one was fine. star wars chat sucks

Republic Commando was good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Honestly I think the thing is that the OT had a ton of flaws that you just don't care about because it was overall good

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Which one of the three sets of classic Star Wars films do you guys think are the best

The good one

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Helsing posted:

Something that reinforces this interpretation is that "Ozymandias" is also the title of a famous poem regarding the ultimate futility of all empire builders and how even the grandest schemes are eventually buried beneath the sands of history.

Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

There was a joke going around that the old Robocop was a better Dredd than old Dredd and the new Dredd is a better Robocop than new Robocop; and thats basically Watchmen and The Boys

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If you aren't watching some Street Trash style insanely nasty poo poo then they have cleaned it up for sure

yeah there's one or two bits that are a little over the top but it manages to sand it down enough that it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

Tbf they do pivot to that later by monetizing starlight's metoo moment but yeah that episode is jarringly out of date

The bit where she realizes that the company is going to make money off it either way is great