Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

So...no iPad Pro? Was hoping to upgrade my first gen iPad Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AceOfFlames posted:

So...no iPad Pro? Was hoping to upgrade my first gen iPad Air.

Wait for Oct/Nov.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Gotta wait for the authorized retailers to fuckin stock poo poo up cuz we have no official Apple stores here. Can't wait to get my watch in December :thumbsup:

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Nothing, other than I don't like to buy hardware that's prime for a refresh and I have a current need want for another one in my basement.

Other than a faster CPU what else would they add? I don't see 8k support coming anytime soon. I wouldn't mind a new remote though.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Wait for Oct/Nov.

Yeah, probably gonna be a minor update too cuz last year was a major refresh.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

2020 better knock it out the park. Rumors better be true

what are the rumors?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

eames posted:

i feel like my iPhone 8 Plus is going to last me another two years at this rate, maybe I'm just getting old

No maybes about it you old bitch lol

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

abelwingnut posted:

what are the rumors?

Under-screen touch id, uhhh no notch maybe.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Store up. iPhone 11 Pro Max base 64g storage. Impressive.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Fucken yikes, the 11 Pro with 256 GB is 1500 Swiss francs. That’s patently insane. Think I’m gonna go for the poverty phone this time.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Edit I'm confused

enojy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 10, 2019

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I’ve got to say though, people clambering for gimmicks like charging other phones with your phones or 5g when not even major cities have it yet is indicative of people who don’t respect how mature the smartphone is as a technology and how hard real innovation is now. We should be happy phones last two or even three years.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

badjohny posted:

Other than a faster CPU what else would they add? I don't see 8k support coming anytime soon. I wouldn't mind a new remote though.

Figured with the push on gaming they'd beef it up.

Now I got to find a deal on a cheap one so I'm not paying full price at target.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Did I miss the release date for iOS 13/ Catalina ?

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Huh. Apple must've stepped up their game with retailers. I remember the iPhone 6 was absolute anarchy. I got the first batch in my area in late November.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Is the store up? I need to see if iPhone 11 got leather cases!

Edit. They don’t have leather cases for the 11?! What the hell!

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 10, 2019

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so i joined the upgrade program last year with my xs. all i need to do is just bring the phone in, hand it over, and get a new one? do i need the box or manual or anything like that?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Looks like I’m sticking to my 8 for another year. Nothing really that makes me even want to consider upgrading.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Time to jailbreak this 6 and trundle along losing 20% battery with each podcast I listen to. I can’t believe I fell for SE2 yet again.

I guess I should have bought that battery replacement last year, but that $30 could have gone into my budget for a $350 iPhone that still doesn’t exist.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
Now I’m torn, have a 7 plus and was planning to upgrade this year but maybe 2020’s the way to go. Although that green finish 11 pro looks awful tempting...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Did they talk about this?

quote:

The new Apple‑designed U1 chip uses Ultra Wideband technology for spatial awareness — allowing iPhone 11 Pro to precisely locate other U1‑equipped Apple devices. It’s like adding another sense to iPhone, and it’s going to lead to amazing new capabilities.

With U1 and iOS 13, you can point your iPhone toward someone else’s, and AirDrop will prioritize that device so you can share files faster.4 And that’s just the beginning.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Did they talk about this?

It didn't involve the cameras, so no.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hot drat the trade-in values loving plummeted. I got $225 last year for my S3 when I got the S4. Going through the store and the max trade in for a S4 is.... $100.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hot drat the trade-in values loving plummeted. I got $225 last year for my S3 when I got the S4. Going through the store and the max trade in for a S4 is.... $100.

Yeah, my stainless steel black is 110 trade in. Last year I got 225 too I think, if not more. Not worth it anymore, last year it was at least decent. From S4 to S5 the only big update is always on display, which is cool, but not 600+ dollars cool.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
My 6S with a small screen crack is worth [recycling], so I guess I should replace the screen myself for $30 and unlock a massive $100 credit.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

What's this neural chip feature in the pro that supposedly will be enabled on my XS? I missed that. Deep focus or something.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ZeeBoi posted:

Looks like I’m sticking to my 8 for another year. Nothing really that makes me even want to consider upgrading.

Yeah... I am uninspired to upgrade from my 8 unless they come up with a really good trade in deal.

I am remembering the free upgrade with T-Mobile from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 in a year where people didn't really care for the new phones. I still didn't do it, because the differences were negligible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Between the 128gb 11 and the 256gb Pro is a $400 difference. I have a 6S that I got refurb 2 years ago to replace a 6 whose GPS antenna had failed after 3 years. I've hit the wall on 64gb.

On the one hand, it's "only" a $400 difference for a device I expect to get at least 2 years out of. On the other hand, the phone with the two cameras is 65% the price of the phone with three.

And I *am* one of the goobers lusting after a Ricoh GR/Sony RX100. Maybe I should just drop the $1100 on the assumption that it'll cover the job of a fancy $1000 point-and-shoot.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 10, 2019

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Wait for the carrier Black Friday deals. Last two years I've taken a $750 credit on trade in if I opened a new line with T-Mobile. Cancelled it less than a month later and the all in was still very generous.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Between the 128gb 11 and the 256gb Pro is a $400 difference. I have a 6S that I got refurb 2 years ago to replace a 6 whose GPS antenna had failed after 3 years. I've hit the wall on 64gb.

On the one hand, it's "only" a $400 difference for a device I expect to get at least 2 years out of. On the other hand, the phone with the two cameras is 65% the price of the phone with three.

The cameras are fancy and all but you shouldn't overlook the step up in quality from an LCD to OLED screen.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I think at some point I’d rather just own a mirrorless camera that isn’t beholden to OS obsolescence cycles.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

XS(max) taken down. :(

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wengy posted:

Fucken yikes, the 11 Pro with 256 GB is 1500 Swiss francs. That’s patently insane. Think I’m gonna go for the poverty phone this time.

Poverty phones are still so insanely over powerful for the actual tasks we do on our phones. All you get is better pictures of ugly kids and beer pours. It's fomo and it will pass.

But, that green color is fire. I wonder where they got the ideal from?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I was sort of considering going with the iPhone because of a bunch of situations where I've been sick with fiddling around, or it getting more or less implied that it works best with iOS (random third party services and hardware). And I'd prefer to keep an OLED display. Because of the gadget whore I am, I also want the recent model. This'd leave me with the nearly 1200€ model. Now after a shower(thought), with the exception of Face ID and some SoC internals, with a bit of eye squinting, the current S10 of mine has hardware wise pretty much the same as that 11 Pro (same display manufacturer, same camera supplier, both have triple cameras, both have premium glass backs, etc blah blah, not sure how much a difference aluminium vs. steel frame would make), at nearly 300€ less back when I got it right on release, even less if you count the free Galaxy Buds that came with them. And 128GB instead of 64GB. The rest of the difference is largely software, and I'm not sure whether it's worth the 400€ delta, nevermind the total cost of jumping ship.

Maybe next year. It's eventually going to happen, tho.

Expected sort of a surprise new sensor for the watch, but I guess not. The health research crap was pretty wishy-washy. Pretty much like Cardiogram, lots of big talk on the blog about machine learning, but after years of being available, they still don't give you any info, not even just tentatively (because Eff Dee Aye, or whatever the gently caress).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They didn't talk about their Tile replacement did they?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

rear end posted:

Huh. Apple must've stepped up their game with retailers. I remember the iPhone 6 was absolute anarchy. I got the first batch in my area in late November.

when you barely change anything you can have healthier stock

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lol ceramic series 5 is 1300 dollars we are back baby

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

abelwingnut posted:

so i joined the upgrade program last year with my xs. all i need to do is just bring the phone in, hand it over, and get a new one? do i need the box or manual or anything like that?

You’ll still need to preorder to guarantee you’ll get one, but other than that they just want the phone back, you keep any cables, boxes, manuals etc.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

I think at some point I’d rather just own a mirrorless camera that isn’t beholden to OS obsolescence cycles.

Same, but lol if I'm gonna incorporate an A6400 or A7S into my everyday carry like some insufferable "street photographer".

This really does seem aimed at the "Ricoh GRIII" corner of the market, but a lot of those guys seem to fetishize their cameras as objects and wish they could afford to carry around Leicas so we'll see how much of a dent it makes there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So Do we know if the pro has more ram vs the 11? I’m sure it does but I’m curious if they did the same thing as the Xs Maxxxxx where the higher end storage comes with more ram.