Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Apple never releases RAM numbers. I think you usually find out when iFixIt cracks one open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Shout out to apple getting on that type-c for the PRO. Still lightning on one side, but it's the right step.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

incoherent posted:

Shout out to apple getting on that type-c for the PRO. Still lightning on one side, but it's the right step.
I don't think it's going to change any time soon on the phones, because of existing accessories.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
So from what I gather, you dont get any kind of discount on the 11 Pro if youre on the AUP?

E: like you would on the trade in

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
In the poverty segment, the real problem is that they still charge a hundred dollars for the “Plus” on the 8. A $450 8+ and $600 XR make more sense than a $450 8, $550 8+, and a $600 XR.

Or just drop the 8 line by $50, or even just the smaller one. That they couldn’t hit $399 on anything this year is ridiculous.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

abelwingnut posted:

so i joined the upgrade program last year with my xs. all i need to do is just bring the phone in, hand it over, and get a new one? do i need the box or manual or anything like that?

Your upgrade program info is under your account page on apple.com/apple store app. When the preorders launch, go there to order your new phone. You can look now to see what your upgrade status is.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

A Ricoh GR is still going to take pictures that are lightyears ahead of what any smartphone can do. Source: I used to own one. The new version is even better.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

For 900 dollars and a singular focus it drat well better. But I ain’t gonna carry a camera around in a fanny pack or anything on a normal basis so a phone will do.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah, same here, that’s why I ended up getting rid of it - but it took some decent pictures along the way :)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You know what they say, the best camera is the one you have with you you spent the most on.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Awww poo poo, the XR is still a 64GB phone.

I’m feeling like late 2020, when the XR occupies the spot the 8 currently does and probably at $500, will be the best time for Apple. I almost feel like I should get a 6S or something because there isn’t enough happening between the 6S and the 8 in non-Plus phones.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Wengy posted:

A Ricoh GR is still going to take pictures that are lightyears ahead of what any smartphone can do. Source: I used to own one. The new version is even better.

Yeah, I figure but I don't know that ~$900 (without the viewfinder) or $1200 for the apparently way better RX100vii is worth it for that in-between range above smartphones and before you start getting to cameras that don't have a fixed lens.

In my ideal situation, I'd have a Sony A7 of some kind at the high end, a compact mirrorless like a 6100/6400/6500/6600 or Fuji XT-30/X-Pro whatever that I could bung old Minolta Rokkor lenses onto in the middle, and then something pocketable like a GR. Typing that out made it feel very excessive tho.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

If you’re willing to shoot RAW and spend some time post-processing your pictures, a fixed-lens APS-C sensor compact like the new GR or a Fuji X100 variant will give you insanely good photographs. I really respect what Apple are doing with the camera array and having three focal lengths at one’s disposal without lens changes is really awesome, but I have to admit I’m sceptical about image quality.

Anyway, since it’s probably gonna be the 11 for me due to the insane pricing in Switzerland, will the screen on these babies be improved at all? Or is it the XR screen? I used an XR once and was underwhelmed. Also, how much RAM?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I think another user stated that Apple never releases RAM values, its only during the teardown from 3rd parties.

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
The pro line will have 6 gb of ram.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Those in the market for a poverty phone should buy my XS 64GB. :cheers:

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I will be getting the new Pro just because I'm on the upgrade program, but I wouldn't if it was not for the program.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Over There posted:

I will be getting the new Pro just because I'm on the upgrade program, but I wouldn't if it was not for the program.

When people say Tim Cook is a bad CEO you can point them to this post

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

ZeeBoi posted:

Looks like I’m sticking to my 8 for another year. Nothing really that makes me even want to consider upgrading.

Yeah I’ve never kept an iPhone for a third year before but I don’t see any value in upgrading from my 8. Guess I’ll wait and see what happens next year.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

With all the wild rumors for the 2020 phone I’m okay holding onto my X for one more year.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Dave posted:

With all the wild rumors for the 2020 phone I’m okay holding onto my X for one more year.

Waiting for the midcycle refreshes will always be the superior upgrade move.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm more of a 'give me the shiny new stuff' kind of guy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

incoherent posted:

Waiting for the midcycle refreshes will always be the superior upgrade move.

I subscribe to this and love my XS. Looking for the 2020 Jesus phone.

By the way, very disappointed that there wasn't one AirPod sock in the keynote. Thread title is a lie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Imagine holding your foot up to your ear to listen to tunes . . . muah (racist Italian kiss sound and gesture)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Did they confirm/deny 3D Touch was going away? If it's gone, I'm going to hold on to my XS Max forever. It's the only way to preview text messages without marking them as "read"

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Dave posted:

All I hear is that 2020 will be nuts. What are the rumors?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rolo posted:

All I hear is that 2020 will be nuts. What are the rumors?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-05/apple-working-on-in-display-fingerprint-id-for-future-iphones

In screen Touch ID for one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

That’s interesting but not a dealbreaker for me on 2019. FaceID can be used for everything the finger scanner was used for, right? Not just unlocking the phone but, say, opening my banking software? I’m incredibly used to not typing in pins and passwords at this point.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Rolo posted:

That’s interesting but not a dealbreaker for me on 2019. FaceID can be used for everything the finger scanner was used for, right? Not just unlocking the phone but, say, opening my banking software? I’m incredibly used to not typing in pins and passwords at this point.

That's where it works best.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ok then I think it’s upgrade time. My 6s just doesn’t need another “wait and see” year of slowly crapping out. Plus it’s not broken and I can actually get a trade of like 100 bones.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rolo posted:

Ok then I think it’s upgrade time. My 6s just doesn’t need another “wait and see” year of slowly crapping out. Plus it’s not broken and I can actually get a trade of like 100 bones.

6s to 11 (pro?) is a hell of a lifetime for one device.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’s on its first battery and leather case, too, so I’m gonna call it good and let the little bugger retire.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

It’s on its first battery and leather case, too, so I’m gonna call it good and let the little bugger retire.

Hang onto it and mount it on your motorcycle for GPS etc. Keep your good phone in your pocket and tether the 6s to it. No worrying about a handlebar mount loving up your camera :)

I'm actually looking for a cheap 6s to do just that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Martytoof posted:

Hang onto it and mount it on your motorcycle for GPS etc. Keep your good phone in your pocket and tether the 6s to it. No worrying about a handlebar mount loving up your camera :)

I'm actually looking for a cheap 6s to do just that.

That’s actually an awesome idea but are there any GPS apps that don’t need cellular?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rolo posted:

That’s actually an awesome idea but are there any GPS apps that don’t need cellular?

GPS location shouldn’t be cell dependant, and any data that GPS apps need should be satisfied by tethering off your new cellphone. That’s my theory anyway.

mkasu
Oct 20, 2012

incoherent posted:

6s to 11 (pro?) is a hell of a lifetime for one device.

I'll go 6S+ to 11 Pro Max this year.

Was almost contemplating to wait yet another year, but recently I got more and more problems with it. I'm also treating it like poo poo without a case and no screen protector "because I'll switch soon anyway" so now I got like 5 deep and long scratches all over the display..

I went to an Apple Store and asked how much they'd give me for a trade-in in the current state (with deep scratches etc.) and they estimated ~$30... :toot:

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

mkasu posted:

I'll go 6S+ to 11 Pro Max this year.

Was almost contemplating to wait yet another year, but recently I got more and more problems with it. I'm also treating it like poo poo without a case and no screen protector "because I'll switch soon anyway" so now I got like 5 deep and long scratches all over the display..

I went to an Apple Store and asked how much they'd give me for a trade-in in the current state (with deep scratches etc.) and they estimated ~$30... :toot:

At that point keep it as a travel phone

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT
Can someone catch me up on the Mac ecosystem? I want a machine to gently caress with OS X at home, and while I prefer to use a desktop setup, it seems like the iMac has no SSD and the Mac Mini only gets updated every 12 years but the price never drops. Is the only sane option to get a MBP and dock it? Is there a new anything just around the corner I should wait for?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
How do you feel about laptops with terrible keyboards? Apple hasn't made a tolerable keyboard since 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Now is probably not a good time to buy a MacBook. Hopefully the 2020 MacBooks are better. I'm bitterly hanging on to my 2015 rMBP but it's starting to slow down.