Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My school was closed because of asbestos abatement and I was enjoying every minute of it. I slept late, then came down to watch the 2 hours of Newsradio that was on A&E every afternoon. I stood in the doorway of the family room looking at my father on the couch. He was facing the television and seemed to be angled unnaturally, as if his limbs were full of tension. "Daaad," said I, "Let me watch the TV!" "Look." he said, and pointed. That's when I saw the first footage of the tower going down in flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

one day someone asked me what the quickest way to express "nine divided by eleven" was, and, well, the rest is history...

schmuck_deluxe
Mar 8, 2019

im a professional bagpipe player so after 9/11 ive been making bank

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I remember the first time I saw NewsRadio. It was around 2000, I was in college and I had just moved into an apartment that had cable. I was flipping channels one afternoon, and stopped when I hit A&E. I immediately stopped because I recognized Dave Foley and Kevin McDonald and assumed that Kids in the Hall was on. After about 15 seconds I realized that this was not in fact KITH. I did a quick google search and realized that there were 5 seasons of a show starring Dave Foley (but unfortunately, Kevin McDonald was not a regular and only a guest on one episode).

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i registered to shitpost OP

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does 911 need two threads? I’m goin to bed.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

My mom woke me up and told me to come watch it on tv. At the time I didn't really get why it was a big deal, since every day there was a news story about thousands of people getting killed in the middle east or wherever, but I pretended to be sad because everybody else was

SD87
Jun 7, 2011
Freedom isnt free

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was in English class taught by the meanest old bitch of a teacher i ever had. Someone delivered the news on a pink paper in the middle of class and my first thought was hopefully she was getting the pink slip.

It was on that day that I first began to understand the universe hates us. gently caress you Mrs Beaty

e: she also taught a class where one of the main readings was John Galt's speech lmao

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 11, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Does 911 need two threads? I’m goin to bed.

there were two towers so it makes sense

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm waiting for when 9/11 falls on Friday the 13th

Holy fuuuuck!!

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
9-11 was the day I lost my innocence. I was in 3rd or 4th grade (don't quite remember) and that morning something was definitely wrong. All the adults were just... off. My mom ended up getting my brother and I from school early and somewhat uncharacteristically she didn't really hide what was going on from us. People jumping to their death because it's preferable to burning alive has a strong impression on a 9 year old. First time I saw my father cry; only seen him cry one time since.

I need to ask my brother what he remembers. He was 7 so I'm not sure he really grasped everything going on yet.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
My Saint Bernard "Fat Boy" had to be put down for eating someone's goats on 9/11/01. This was the true tragedy that day. RIP Fat Boy :rip:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It was literally my second day of junior high school and I was still so busy being overwhelmed by this new place that I didn't realize just how bizarre everyone was being until I left school and found both my parents had come to pick me up. I lived in NYC so the whole school was in subdued chaos as faculty tried to figure out how to make sure all the students got home safe. Tons of people were picking kids up early, they were making announcements about public transportation being down and asking for anyone who didn't know how to get home to come to the principals office for help.

But to my oblivious 11 year old self I thought maybe this is just what junior high was like. I put it all together once my parents actually explained things to me. We went to a bridge later that afternoon where you could see across the river to the smoking remains of the towers, it was chilling.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I was the one that did it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Kuato posted:

My Saint Bernard "Fat Boy" had to be put down for eating someone's goats on 9/11/01. This was the true tragedy that day. RIP Fat Boy :rip:

Yeah.. RIP

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I was the one that did it

u fucker u killed fat boy?!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

500 good dogs posted:

u fucker u killed fat boy?!

No I would never do anything that terrible I just flew planes into the Twin Towers

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I found out about 9/11 from the forums

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I bought Advance Wars and played it, it still owns.

Japan had to wait, suckers!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was watching Garfield and Friends and then 9/11 happened. I don't remember what episode it was, but it was during one of the Garfield segments, not the US Acres segments.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
In middle school, the teacher in science class turned on the tv to watch the news coverage. One of the kids said something along the lines of "I swear to god it was Saddam Hussein", despite the fact that Bin Laden had already been named as the culprit. That stuck with me over the years for obvious reasons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

dudeness posted:

In middle school, the teacher in science class turned on the tv to watch the news coverage. One of the kids said something along the lines of "I swear to god it was Saddam Hussein", despite the fact that Bin Laden had already been named as the culprit. That stuck with me over the years for obvious reasons.
Everyone at my school said it was Saddam too, and I'm pretty sure it's because of South Park.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

I was in 3rd grade of elementary school. the first indication that something was up was when i got home, when the babysitter forbade me from watching the TV. i turned it on briefly anyway and saw footage of some firefighters, which didnt seem like anything out of the ordinary. when my mom got home she told me what had happened. my reaction was to joke about how the stock market must be closed today. from that point on i was marked as "Goon".

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
I came OP

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I remember it like it was yesterday. Seeing those towers burning, all those times I ran back inside and using my considerable strength carried hundreds of people out to safety. Things could have gone very wrong that day but thankfully I was there to help.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
woke up on the bare floor of friends dilapidated house at about 1pm. was told about it and thought the dude was just fuckin around
at the time i was basically a highschool dropout but because i was basically forbade it because chemotherapy and very little immune system plus the social worker sucked and there were no accomodations made for what i was supposed to do regarding all the assignments based on material that could only be covered in actual class. so i opted for ultra latchkey-ism

there was a drug dealer living at that house for years who was the boyfriend of another resident and when they eventually had to call the cops on him because he shot at the next door neighbor they had to tell the cops they only knew him by his nickname pookem (which probably has no spelling since the only time it was ever written was in that police report)

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I was playing Materia Magicka, a text based MUD (nee Moongate) when the news came on the tv. I was 16 and couldn't give less of a poo poo about it.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I was really nervous when I woke up that day, but I’d practiced a bunch so things ended up going smoothly. I’ll never forget the rush of adrenaline and that gorgeous, split-second closeup view of the second tower from the cockpit as I prepared to join Allah in heaven.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My father was an airline pilot and on a (rare) stay home.

My experience was waking up to him being glued to the tv in the living room.

Dragon Ball z wasn't on in the morning, and the same poo poo was on every channel.

I got home around 3 o'clock from a pretty normal day at school to my father having not moved.

I'm told He was awoken at around 3 in the morning by a work friend to a conversation went something like this

*Ring ring*

Papa Jestery: fuckin hell Skeeter, you're a fuckin pilot, it's 3 in the morning and I'm munted ,

Skeeter: turn on you tv papa-jestery

Papa-jestery: Skeeter, the gently caress is going on?

Skeeter: turn on the tv.

Papa-jestery: what channel

Skeeter: doesn't matter.

Flights were grounded for a bit and I had a somewhat rattled dad for a bit longer than usual that year

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
PBS (WGBH - Boston, to be specific) was supposed to be filming a special on Mrs Genesplicer and her exceptional teaching practices. They came in, but things were just too far off of normal due to the attacks. Lots of students were out, lots of interruptions, things like that. The team decided to wait a few days and let things get somewhat back to normal. The next week the team did their filming, and it went off without a hitch. The show they made is still used in several teaching programs in Massachusetts, Colorado, and California.

As for my classes, everyone wanted, naturally, to talk about the attacks. I was supposed to discuss probability, so we discussed the probability of attack vs. accident. As the day progressed, it became more and more evident that it could not possibly be an accident of any sort. It was an... interesting discussion.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
I'd dropped out of school fairly recently. I think I was about 14. There's not a lot to do in England during the day but watch reruns of diagnosis murder. It was cancelled and all the channels went live to an 'accident' that had happened in new York with a plane hitting the twin towers.

And yeah just sat and watched it all unfold. Some of the craziest TV I've ever seen.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was getting ready for work and right before I got in the shower my wife told me a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers. I said something snarky in response, picturing a single-engine plane smacking against the building, which is something that has happened to skyscrapers before.

Then I got out of the shower and it became evident it was not a single-engine plane.

Work was quiet and weird that day.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i distinctly remember seeing the impact of the plane knock insulation off the steel beams after which the heat of the jet fuel (while not melting them) did raise the temperature of the steel beams sufficiently that they could no longer support the weight of the buildings and not that it was a controlled demolition by bush who blew up the towers

wasnt really into howard stern but he was like the first media voice calling out the middle east on it and the nation was largely in favor of bombing someone in the middle east but also not concerned with staying or rebuilding for decades or even at all

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i remember in art class someone painted a crying eagle with a map of afghanistan on it

no joke, i knew it was cringe worthy back then

im west coast :canada: and very far removed from all that poo poo, and most poo poo in general

my friend, who was probably kicked out of the infantry but too ashamed to ever tell me the story, has friends who died over there too sooo uhhh that sucks and is very real for him (in afghanistan i mean following the invasion)

coalition of the willing my rear end, somehow canada didnt end up getting dragged into iraq even though harper was pushing for it hard at the time

they are trying to "make a deal" with the loving taliban right now

such a waste

never been to new york and probably never will, my goondolences

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 11, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWOU-c1Ppqk

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

It was almost to the day of the 2nd anniversary of my balls dropping.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I remember being shocked that Raven did nothing to stop it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LIW8B77G48

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
It mostly flew under my radar on the actual day. I mostly just remember playing "kILL OSAMA BIN LADEN!!!" games on Newgrounds on the following days and being vaguely aware that he had something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I was a junior in high school and when I got home from school my dad said some really racist stuff about muslims, which was unusual for him. We came back to school after a couple of days and our math teacher said he had had horrible birthday. He showed us his driver's license and lo and behold he was born on September eleventh. Also I lived like 20 miles from ground zero, as the crow flies, so I'll probably get horrible lung diseases some day.