Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I was in 2nd grade don't remember poo poo lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
My teacher stopped class and we watched that poo poo for hours. Best day of school in my life.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

I was walking down the hall of my high school and this kid Anthony came running up saying a plane had flown into the world trade center. I figured it was just a small engine plane accident or something, so just went about my day. Then I saw everyone watching tv in the library and sorta realized it was a bid deal.

That sure was a weird day!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

The Dregs posted:

I was working a temp job in a factory. They let people go home if they wanted, and I did because my mom was flying to Cali. Every temp who went home was fired.

This is the most American 9/11 story ever. :911:

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I took that day off because I was getting over a cold. I was getting breakfast ready for my oldest son, who was just a toddler then. I remember seeing parts of the attack, but I didn't really register how bad it was.

Later on that day, I was at the bank and the tellers and other customers were are gathered around a TV that was playing in the middle of the bank showing the attacks and everything. That's when it sank in that poo poo was serious.

The following years of pure strain fascism sucked. I had chuddy coworkers and bosses that gave me poo poo constantly for not "supporting the war in Iraq"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I was in 9th grade at jazz band practice. We were all watching it unfold on the news. Someone made a joke about Iraqi super soldiers invading from the Hudson.
The band teacher came out of his office, said "we have important practice to get to!" and turned off the TV.
Later in the day, the vice principal came on over the PA, made a milquetoast speech, then told us to bow our heads in a moment of silence.
It was so far removed from where we were, it may as well have been on another planet.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Some cops died

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
i saw it happen on TV and went "huh, that's a thing that happened"

then I rubbed one out and played some XBox

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think some finance people died too

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I was teaching 6th grade. We were told to keep tvs off and keep students off the internet. I had a computer on my desk so I checked it out on various news sites and when I had access to SA later in the day, I lolled.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

I was still bummed about failing my math final. Everyone was suddenly in a panic. We all rushed to the screens. And there it was... Buenos Aires wiped out. The bugs had attacked home. My parents were dead. That's the day I joined the Mobile Infantry.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man
I was in 9th grade, during the morning announcements they said something about a flying accident of some sort but there weren't really any details. when we wandered into 2nd period the teacher had wheeled a TV into the classroom and was silently watching the news, she never started class so we all kind of just sat around watching it with her, then we saw the towers collapse in real time and she screamed and started quietly sobbing while we all looked at each other and fidgeted uncomfortably, unsure what was happening

there was a weird energy to the rest of the day, some teachers basically cancelled classes and gave us a free period, some tried to stick to the schedule but nobody was really paying attention, and nobody explained to us what the hell we had seen except that a lot of people had died and they were holding prayers in the chapel

then I went home and jerked off. lol

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I had just started middle school (6th grade) and they had sent us to a retreat in upstate NY because four different elementary schools worth of kids were about to meet each other for the first time. It was all of your basic trust games and seminars and stuff and I absolutely hated it.

After breakfast on the second day, the principal made an announcement that we are going home early without saying anything else. I was excited to be leaving early. Then we got to the school and everyone's parents looked distraught picking us up. My mom explained to me what had happened and it didn't really register at that moment.

Then we went to the local hot dog place in town and watch 9/11 coverage while eating cheese fries. You can see the NYC skyline from where I live in NJ and there was a visible debris cloud for weeks afterward. That hot dog place still has those same lovely CRTs and I think about 9/11 every time I visit.

I spend a lot of time thinking about how I started coming of age the exact moment the US was spun into the cultural death spiral it's in now.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I was a freshman in high school. Some kid in my first class was talking about "Iraqians in the streets shooting machine guns." All we did was watch TV all day except for my Spanish class because that teacher was an rear end in a top hat. The school was trying really hard to keep people on campus but a lot of people were dipping out. When I got home I hopped on Ultima Online and everyone had decorated their houses with flags like this:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

oh dope posted:

On September 11th, 2001, I woke up to the sound of my wife crying. I had just been fired from my tire mounting job the week before, so I had been staying up and waking up later than usual, and i was kind of out of it being up so early this morning. I stumbled into the living room to see what was wrong. She was sniffing and wimpering, not really sobbing, so I wasn't panicked, and besides, she had some mental health issues that would cause her to cry at nothing at all. My 11 month old daughter (who's now in her first year of college :corsair:) was sleeping in her swing chair, and I was relieved to find her okay. Just as I was about to ask my wife what the problem was, I saw the TV. We both sat there in silence for a minute until I got up to leave. She was upset I was leaving her at such a time, but I had to find a job. I drove to the place her uncle worked, a mylar balloon factory, and picked up an application.

I worked at the balloon factory for about two years. I cheated on my wife with a Mexican woman I met there.

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

oh dope posted:

On September 11th, 2001, I woke up to the sound of my wife crying. I had just been fired from my tire mounting job the week before, so I had been staying up and waking up later than usual, and i was kind of out of it being up so early this morning. I stumbled into the living room to see what was wrong. She was sniffing and wimpering, not really sobbing, so I wasn't panicked, and besides, she had some mental health issues that would cause her to cry at nothing at all. My 11 month old daughter (who's now in her first year of college :corsair:) was sleeping in her swing chair, and I was relieved to find her okay. Just as I was about to ask my wife what the problem was, I saw the TV. We both sat there in silence for a minute until I got up to leave. She was upset I was leaving her at such a time, but I had to find a job. I drove to the place her uncle worked, a mylar balloon factory, and picked up an application.

I worked at the balloon factory for about two years. I cheated on my wife with a Mexican woman I met there.

I want to distill the essence of this story into a tincture, like a warlock, and sip from the precious vial whenever I need to replenish power.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
i heard it on the radio while driving to school, senior year of high school. i then watched tv all day at school. then i went home and probably jerked off and played vidya or read a book or something.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Rad-daddio posted:

The following years of pure strain fascism sucked. I had chuddy coworkers and bosses that gave me poo poo constantly for not "supporting the war in Iraq"

Here's a fun Twitter thread reminiscing about how stupid poo poo got after 9/11: https://twitter.com/unabanned/status/1171794187609657345

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

On 9/11 I got up, went to middle school, and we watched TV or listened to the radio all day instead of normal classes. There were a ton of rumors and weird theories like I remember one teacher who was adamant that it was China for whatever reason.

The days after 9/11 really sucked for my half-Middle Eastern family. Our house was vandalized. Someone shot out the window of my dad's SUV. A teacher gave me a detention even though I wasn't even in class that day. Friends' parents refused to let them hang out with us. A bunch of kids asked me if my dad was a terrorist. When I told a teacher, she said, "You just have to understand people are afraid right now. Your father's religion scares people."

I later learned my parents also faced a bunch of poo poo. My mom's coworkers asked her if she was alright or if she was in an abusive marriage and needed help (she's white). My dad refuses to say what happened at his workplace but he left that job within 6 months.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I forgot my story.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Caught it on tv while getting ready for class, at the time I was a history major so no fucks were given because it's just the start of another cycle of idiots killing each other for reasons that won't matter or be remembered in 100 years.

I cared more about getting a copy of God Hates Us All which is still one of my favorite albums.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
I was reading a story about goats to some kids at school. I was interrupted to be told the attack had happened but I liked the goat story so I just kept on reading it

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
I was working for the Federal Aviation Administration in the Civil Aviation Security dept. We did three things there: physical security checks for small airports, general and gate security checks for major airports, and emergency response. A year or so later, we ceased to exist and became the TSA.

They evacuated our building, and a 5 block radius around us, because the Federal Courthouse and Federal Building were considered potential targets. I was grabbing my stuff when my boss told me we were staying. We were emergency response, after all. So I setup our conference room for the crisis response, made sure all the electronics and phones were working, and became a glorified remote control for whenever someone wanted to check a different news station.

There was a point in time where we had a lot of unaccounted for planes. Emotional breakdowns went around the room in a cycle. And once we got the all clear for having located and grounded all the flights, we became just like everyone else - a group of people huddled around a screen, waiting for the TV to tell us what the gently caress happened.

To be honest, the field agents at the FAA had just been waiting for something awful to happen. It was inevitable. The airlines had all the power back then.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I was into Bin Laden before he went mainstream.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
After 9/11 I took the proud call of duty for my country to protect our great nation against all who seek to destroy this bastion of freedom and liberty. I immediately volunteered for the front lines and became a TSA agent where I forcefully tell people that water bottles are not allowed. God Bless America.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
I was at my job as a dishwasher, my coping response was to apparently laugh hysterically. I quit a few months later.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

I was in highschool attending early college enrollment course in the morning. Had no idea what was going on until I got to class (west coast) and they had all the TVs showing the live action. It was a crazy thing to watch happen. I'm surprised they didn't cancel school that day as I remember being in Civics class later watching the news with the entire class.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My school tried it's hardest to avoid telling us what happened. Which was pretty difficult considering we were in NYC and could see the Manhattan skyline from some of the classrooms.

We went into lockdown and they refused to dismiss anyone until their parents came to pick us up, while still trying to make believe everything was normal and continued to refuse to tell us anything, even though everyone had figured it out. I was in 8th grade.

Shoutout to homeroom teacher who had a small radio at her desk, who turned on the news while we were waiting for dismissal. To this day I have never heard such silence from such a crowded room.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I was in high school and skipped that day with my (then) GF to get blown at the nearby park. Rollercoaster of a day really.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

crabcakes dogg posted:

I was in high school and skipped that day with my (then) GF to get blown at the nearby park. Rollercoaster of a day really.

She’s from Canada, right?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rosalind posted:

On 9/11 I got up, went to middle school, and we watched TV or listened to the radio all day instead of normal classes. There were a ton of rumors and weird theories like I remember one teacher who was adamant that it was China for whatever reason.

The days after 9/11 really sucked for my half-Middle Eastern family. Our house was vandalized. Someone shot out the window of my dad's SUV. A teacher gave me a detention even though I wasn't even in class that day. Friends' parents refused to let them hang out with us. A bunch of kids asked me if my dad was a terrorist. When I told a teacher, she said, "You just have to understand people are afraid right now. Your father's religion scares people."

I later learned my parents also faced a bunch of poo poo. My mom's coworkers asked her if she was alright or if she was in an abusive marriage and needed help (she's white). My dad refuses to say what happened at his workplace but he left that job within 6 months.

America is the worst country on this planet and I'm embarrassed as a human being that this happened to you.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Burt Sexual posted:

She’s from Canada, right?

Hey gently caress you Burt!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Neutrino posted:

After 9/11 I took the proud call of duty for my country to protect our great nation against all who seek to destroy this bastion of freedom and liberty. I immediately volunteered for the front lines and became a TSA agent where I forcefully tell people that water bottles are not allowed. God Bless America.

shut up blegum posted:

Thank you for your service :patriot:

VonCrunchhausen
Mar 15, 2015

i remember watching that nicolas cage 9/11 movie in history class and i said "wow i wonder if they're going to make a sequel"

they probably won't because it wasn't very good

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I had to be in dc that week, I flew in as soon as air service was restored. That was a hosed up flight. Very quiet landing at National. Like a week later I think?

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I worked security at a cell phone refurbish warehouse. I was fired about a week after 9/11 when we were told we need to tighten security and I laughed and said the terrorist are not coming for refurbished Motorola Razors.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

JEEVES420 posted:

I worked security at a cell phone refurbish warehouse. I was fired about a week after 9/11 when we were told we need to tighten security and I laughed and said the terrorist are not coming for refurbished Motorola Razors.

*side eyes you*.

Why were you fired again?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
A guy I knew in the Civil Air Patrol (volunteer Air Force) was tasked with tracking down a distress beacon on the night of 9/11/01

They did a ground search, but the results kept leading them to this dangerous area full of cliffs and deep ravines. So, he asked to have a search plane do a flyover to verify their readings, and someone really high up the food chain in the USAF called him back and said that "if we put a plane in the air for you, we'd also have to shoot it down." :stare:

So, they had to call off the search until morning. They eventually found the plane. The pilot had a heart attack and managed to power dive the plane right into this vertical slot canyon that was about six feet wide. The dude said the plane looked like someone had shoved a beer can into a sidewalk crack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

I didn't hear about the first plane or any confusion, it was straight "we are being attacked / possibly at war". I was in 8th grade and had early morning football practice so none of us had any clue about it when the planes hit. we had just got back into the locker rooms and were getting cleaned up and dressed when the coach came in and got everyone's attention. he told us two airplanes had been hijacked and flown into the world trade center, that this was an attack.

we didn't have a tv's in the gym or anything so after getting dressed we spent ten minutes or so sitting around speculating if we were at war and what country might be attacking us.
without any visuals of it, I didn't really recognize how serious this was, I don't really remember what I imagined

when the bell rang and we changed classes I immediately could tell this was something big, all of the teachers either were crying or just looked extremely stressed/wired, every other kid was talking about it and wondering if we were going to go home for the day or stay in school, I heard an announcement with the principal using the "everybody stay calm" voice telling teachers to continue with their planned lessons.

when I got to the next class all we did was watch the television, when I saw the towers burning I remember thinking it didn't look so bad, at least not to warrant this near apocalyptic feeling in the air. then the towers fell

all I remember after that was being home and being glued to my television for days watching the news, something I had never really done much before. the images of the people jumping and the loud sound of them hitting whatever on the way down was haunting.

I began watching the news pretty much constantly ever since then