Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Rosalind posted:

On 9/11 I got up, went to middle school, and we watched TV or listened to the radio all day instead of normal classes. There were a ton of rumors and weird theories like I remember one teacher who was adamant that it was China for whatever reason.

The days after 9/11 really sucked for my half-Middle Eastern family. Our house was vandalized. Someone shot out the window of my dad's SUV. A teacher gave me a detention even though I wasn't even in class that day. Friends' parents refused to let them hang out with us. A bunch of kids asked me if my dad was a terrorist. When I told a teacher, she said, "You just have to understand people are afraid right now. Your father's religion scares people."

I later learned my parents also faced a bunch of poo poo. My mom's coworkers asked her if she was alright or if she was in an abusive marriage and needed help (she's white). My dad refuses to say what happened at his workplace but he left that job within 6 months.

I'm sorry that happened to you, and thanks for telling us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

America is the worst country on this planet and I'm embarrassed as a human being that this happened to you.

This poo poo is not unique to America. Progressive Europe, for example, talks a big game but is actually racist as gently caress when it comes to Arabs, gypsies or brown refugees actually living in their countries

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 11, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was 13, which was a bad age to go through that. I was old enough to understand what happened but I didn't have the emotional maturity to really handle it.

As I walked home from school, I walked over an overpass where I could clearly see the entire skyline, and I got a good view of a giant plume of smoke rising from where the towers used to be and I lost it. It's one thing to see it on TV, it's different when you see it with your own eyes. When I got home, my mom gave me a giant hug and we cried for about a half hour.

My dad was an E train Motorman at the time. He was okay, thanks for asking. Got stuck at work for 3 days though, which sounds like it's own type of hell.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

As a 12 year old Canadian in first period class, we didnt really know what was going on we just knew the US was finally under attack and it was rad.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I just remember I went to a somewhat more diverse high school than the rest of the surrounding area, had some friends who where 2nd generation Arab-Americans who were mercilessly bullied and harassed both at school, at work as well as their families, extended families. Just tons of awful horror stories of misguided persecution in the wake of 9/11. I think it galvanized my feelings on how loving lovely, stupid and fearful most people are to The Other.

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

I was in second grade. My school made a point not to show the footage at school, so I all I remember is everyone getting called out of class, and then having my name called and thinking "cool!" I saw the footage when I got home, but didn't quite understand what I was looking at. All I was worried about was that they were gonna come bomb my town next.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I was in 10th grade and we were watching it on TV during class. I remember after the second plane hit I leaned over to my friend and said "at least they are still standing right", trying to be positive. Then, well....you know.

Then after both were collapsed someone jokingly accused our history teacher of being in on it because he had said a couple weeks prior that the WTC would be a likely target if we were ever attacked. He turned redder than anyone I've ever seen and screamed at us about how patriotic he is how dare we accuse him etc for a good 2-3 minutes before the bell miraculously rang.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
I was on my way home from work (night shift) and I heard all about it on the radio. Then my ex's father came by later that day and earnestly said, "There's been a great disturbance in the force"

I had to leave the room to stifle my laughter. He probably thought I was about to break down lol

I also got to miss work for the next two nights so that was cool

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

Xun posted:

Lol a guy put up a giant American flag and is alternating blasting the US national anthem and Born in the USA.

I live in Sweden

Be sure to tell him what Born in the USA is actually about.

E: also, loving Sweden? Really?

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
No longer 9/11 anymore.