Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Big Beef City posted:

Jesus Christ, this.
Puppets, but for adults is SO bad.
It's not that 'oh it makes you uncomfortable, huh??' no. It's just the whole concept is terrible and is NEVER done well.

Wonder Showzen is two seasons of condensed brilliance

for the most part, though, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Even then, Wonder Showzen's puppet segments tend to be the worst part of the show. I'm thinking of that stuff with "Mother Nature" or "Letter N" where the joke is 100% "haha felt stuff is being gross."

The Clarence stuff and the non-puppet segments remain golden though.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ventriloquism. Especially Jeff Dunham ventriloquism where the punchline is just "my puppet's so horny/racist/sexist, oh my gosh!"

I think adult based puppet humor can be good, but when it crosses into specifically ventriloquism it always goes bad.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Everything top gear does.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
tearing out your eyeballs on stage and then screaming in horror: "I can still see! I can still see!"

get a new bit

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Cards Against Humanity and all related monkeycheese humor.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

This might be hacky but I really like when a comedian does a bit where they're like intentionally bad and it loops around again to being funny.

I went to an open mic night in college and this kid came out, starts breathing really heavy and all his jokes were weird in-jokes. Like he said something like "Remember that time my Mom ran out of flour? Haha, yeah." and this just went on and on and people started booing him, so he sits down on the floor and starts telling jokes and breathing really heavy.

He may have just been having a complete breakdown but it was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, and this was years before stuff like Eric Andre where not being funny was the whole point of it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
When I saw that this thread had been resurrected, I was going to post "fake dog language and puns" but then I saw that I'd done that already. Some things never change.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The jokes I sometimes hear about comparing white moms to black moms and the white mom is all hippy dippy and understanding and then the punchline is some form of "but the black mom would just whoop your rear end!" are extremely disturbing and I see them incredibly often. It's doubly upsetting because of the abuse rates a lot of poorer black kids suffer and you realize a large part of it is just behaving as if it's an acceptable status quo and something to look back on and laugh as if it doesn't have catastrophic lifelong psychological effects, not to mention the obvious stereotyping and claiming it's some general attribute black mothers have instead of a symptom of generational abuse. I'm sensitive to it though since I grew up in a household where the first response to misbehavior was corporal punishment. People internalize it differently, some people think it's okay and have to accept that or otherwise they have to admit their parents were lovely (and then they likely perpetuate the cycle) or you become extremely against it.

A lot of really fundamentally unsettling jokes normalizing getting beat or parents being violent towards their kids in general are made on a far too consistent basis. It's not really funny that your dad or mom beat your rear end. Hearing poo poo about "la chancla" doesn't make me laugh, it just conjures up the fear I felt as a child when I broke a lamp and my dad threatened me with a paddle, and when I see videos of it I can see that same fear in the child's face. When you're an adult that kind of violence seems quaint, but kids literally feel life or death anxiety from it. What seems minor to you can be absolutely world shattering to them. It stuns me that people can't see that and then laugh at a child's terror.

As a black person whose black mother has always been affectionate & caring and never once physically abusive, those kinds of jokes have always unnerved me deeply. I had classmates, friends, and cousins who aren't as lucky as me growing up, and I never found their predicaments funny, only horrifying.

This isn't meant to detract from the racial overtones that these jokes generally have, but there are also lots of "my father beat me with a belt every time I talked back to him, and I turned out great!" jokes among the boomer population.

quote:

Humor that actively minimizes these kinds of things is not just unfunny and bad, but has actual social consequences, like when people make gay jokes or rape jokes where the punchline is ultimately that some institutional part of it is the source of the "humor" (IE prison rape is considered funny because a man being raped is somehow inherently goofy with a healthy dosing of homophobia because gay sex is icky and weird.)

This too.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
jokes about being depressed/mentally ill

especially in like a twitter bio, "artist, she/her, garbage person" yo shut up

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
It’s actually improv. It’s the worst. It’s never funny.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Seaniqua posted:

Cards Against Humanity and all related monkeycheese humor.
My opinion of someone immediately drops when they suggest playing CAH because it means they're not much for critical thinking and probably socioeconomically insulated

Live Free posted:

It was almost kind-of endearing back in the 80s/90s before every person with an internet connection had a mouthpiece to commodify their self-loathing, but even then you had to be drat funny/resonant to pull it off.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Marvel movie humor. It hasn't been mentioned directly yet, but the few people that said "reddit humor" are saying Marvel movie humor at the same time. Quippy/quirky/zippy "sooo ok that's a thing?" rear end lame jokes. Even the bad guy does it sometimes!!! BWAHAHA!!!!

I can't really describe it well but it will be instantly recognizable as terribly cringey unwatchable 2015-2020 humor in a short while, and every Disney-owned property is using it right now. People with funkopops try to do it in real life.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

This is the perfect username for this thread.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
What kind of humor is the most easily translated to any culture?

I'd say fartin

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

life is a joke posted:

Marvel movie humor. It hasn't been mentioned directly yet, but the few people that said "reddit humor" are saying Marvel movie humor at the same time. Quippy/quirky/zippy "sooo ok that's a thing?" rear end lame jokes. Even the bad guy does it sometimes!!! BWAHAHA!!!!

I can't really describe it well but it will be instantly recognizable as terribly cringey unwatchable 2015-2020 humor in a short while, and every Disney-owned property is using it right now. People with funkopops try to do it in real life.

This dude is wrong and while Marvel movies do feature some really hack humor (Thor: Ragnarok and Age of Ultron are the most excessive/worst for lame jokes) they're not appreciably worse than anything you'd see from any other action hero. Stop watching RLM and get some perspective.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
i'm sick of seeing Tim Meadows get pissed on, poo poo on, puked on, the works. i know that's how he got famous but it stopped being funny around the time that Will Ferrell bent over and blasted a load of diarrhea into his face like grapeshot from a cannon. sorry to all the Tim Meadows maniacs out there, but enough is enough.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

YeahTubaMike posted:

When I saw that this thread had been resurrected, I was going to post "fake dog language and puns" but then I saw that I'd done that already. Some things never change.

As a black person whose black mother has always been affectionate & caring and never once physically abusive, those kinds of jokes have always unnerved me deeply. I had classmates, friends, and cousins who aren't as lucky as me growing up, and I never found their predicaments funny, only horrifying.

This isn't meant to detract from the racial overtones that these jokes generally have, but there are also lots of "my father beat me with a belt every time I talked back to him, and I turned out great!" jokes among the boomer population.

its really an issue of individual experience vs playing into a stereotype. the disproportionate abuse of children in (for a lack of a better term) american-ethnic households is absolutely true, so is this the only way to fight this kind of comedy: asserting that black/spanish comedians who do it are uncle tomming, playing up the fact for an audience with a skewed/racist worldview with no authentic experience of the situation themselves, rather than the comedian himself speaking about his/her authentic experience for an audience with a similar experience?

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 17, 2020

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

life is a joke posted:

it's a simple effect of ironic distancing, with possibly an attempt to appeal to a wider audience. situations and characters in a wildly imaginative world ripped out of comics for children would not be approachable played straight for the fans (or regular movie goers) who are pushing 30/40, so detachment from an authentic approach has to be made by downplaying the subject matter at hand, injecting irony/sarcasm into it. it's also a matter of identification with a fictional character: nobody identifies with thor the eloquent thunder god, but the mess-of-a-person too frightened to face their authentic enjoyment loves the bumbling, awkward thor of no self-confidence.

in this way, the marvel movies give the fan their cake to have and eat as well: they give you the thor that singes his own dick with lightning bolts while captain marvel takes care of the situation, and also the thor that kills a slave mob of dozens with thunder while his eyes glow with inner power.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Some friends of mine brought Cards Against Humanity to the beach. It was my first experience with the game. A bunch of adults, some with small children, sitting on a blanket under some umbrellas shouting out poo poo like “sad handjob!” “Starving African Children! Lol!” “A Dildo shaped like Justin Bieber!” I found myself glancing around at other families enjoying the beach to see if anyone was irritated. Maybe it was just me. At least I knew I could just flee and jump in the ocean.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
This new wave of comedians where the person gives out a lecture/shouts their opinion at the audience e in lieu of making jokes. I'm looking at you David Cross. I often share opinions with most left wing ones but c'mon. Make with the funny.

Also prop comics and improv

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
whenever a comedian points their gun at the audience and shoots people who aren't laughing i always want to roll my eyes, but obviously i laugh so i don't get shot.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

ChazTurbo posted:

This new wave of comedians where the person gives out a lecture/shouts their opinion at the audience e in lieu of making jokes. I'm looking at you David Cross. I often share opinions with most left wing ones but c'mon. Make with the funny.

Also prop comics and improv

tbf david cross has been doing this for like 25 years

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Live Free posted:

tbf david cross has been doing this for like 25 years

Well that's my bad cuz I keep erasing his awful standup from my mind.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Cards Against Humanity is terrible because it's supposed to be a darker, more adult Apples to Apples, but what makes Apples to Apples funny is that the cards themselves are innocuous -- it's those spontaneous, unplanned-for situations where the use of these innocuous cards turns incongruously dark that makes you laugh. When Cards Against Humanity tries to pack as much gross-out/dark/edgy poo poo into every card, they completely miss the point. There's nothing to surprise you into laughing.

On that note -- comedians who make a funny analogy or hypothetical, the audience laughs....and then the comedian proceeds to act out the analogy, making the same joke twice in a row.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Nobody:

Reddit/Imgurians:
(Picture of a regular opinion that isn't funny or related to meme format)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Any joke that references star wars and the wookie sound.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Rabbit Hill posted:

Cards Against Humanity is terrible because it's supposed to be a darker, more adult Apples to Apples, but what makes Apples to Apples funny is that the cards themselves are innocuous -- it's those spontaneous, unplanned-for situations where the use of these innocuous cards turns incongruously dark that makes you laugh. When Cards Against Humanity tries to pack as much gross-out/dark/edgy poo poo into every card, they completely miss the point. There's nothing to surprise you into laughing.

On that note -- comedians who make a funny analogy or hypothetical, the audience laughs....and then the comedian proceeds to act out the analogy, making the same joke twice in a row.

Yes! I used to really enjoy Apples to Apples because of this and it sucks that Cards Against Humanity has overtaken it completely in popularity. I recently also played Joking Hazard from Cyanide & Happiness which is almost the same thing, and it doubles down even further on the CAH shtick. When all the panels are a character sucking their own dick or something, there are no surprises, as you said.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Cards against Humanity also has this knockoff version that in my in-laws have called like Feuding Families or something. It's slightly less crude, but it's still just as unfunny.

Every time I go over there they want to play this game, even though every round ends with my grandmother in law talking about popping pimples in a jacuzzi or whatever loving stupid card pops up.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

End of Shoelace posted:

it's a simple effect of ironic distancing, with possibly an attempt to appeal to a wider audience. situations and characters in a wildly imaginative world ripped out of comics for children would not be approachable played straight for the fans (or regular movie goers) who are pushing 30/40, so detachment from an authentic approach has to be made by downplaying the subject matter at hand, injecting irony/sarcasm into it. it's also a matter of identification with a fictional character: nobody identifies with thor the eloquent thunder god, but the mess-of-a-person too frightened to face their authentic enjoyment loves the bumbling, awkward thor of no self-confidence.

in this way, the marvel movies give the fan their cake to have and eat as well: they give you the thor that singes his own dick with lightning bolts while captain marvel takes care of the situation, and also the thor that kills a slave mob of dozens with thunder while his eyes glow with inner power.

Ya that's true, I didn't think about accessibility to all groups, just how I saw it. tbh I don't like comic books or movies that much (i am boring) so I'm not coming from a place about the sanctity of the characters or whatever, and I just saw them as adult-oriented blockbusters and tuned out the fact that comics are a kids thing.

But even out of the marvel movie context, something just grates me about that "snappy West Wing dialogue but for I loving love science people" things that's taken over. It feels like a bunch of boring writer's room nepotism hires did a book report on what's actually funny online these days, then added some cocked-eyebrow "so that's a thing now? really? really??" spice to to, then it went through a few revisions with higher-ups who chopped anything that might bother any stakeholder up the chain. I think that kind of writing, turned up to 11, is super obvious and will be very dated very soon.

I think a good example is how star wars fans were instantly making GBS threads on the "they fly now??? They fly now!" dialogue in the new one. I mean yes that is basically just a fun joke for all ages, but is clearly matching a very all-tv-commercials-right-now "funny" tone that makes it wrong for the franchise. Maybe it's gone too far if one simple joke in a trailer is instant cringe for fans. (another disclaimer: I have never seen star wars and am just absorbing this from background chatter I've encountered)

Kinda sounds like I'm just saying things should appeal more to me personally lol, maybe I should stop.

mind the walrus posted:

This dude is wrong and while Marvel movies do feature some really hack humor (Thor: Ragnarok and Age of Ultron are the most excessive/worst for lame jokes) they're not appreciably worse than anything you'd see from any other action hero. Stop watching RLM and get some perspective.

I was under the impression that Marvel did all the superhero movies! And I don't know what RLM is but I'd get it's someone who complains too much - I'm sorry I just marvel is hacky!!!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Live Free posted:

Mental illness & depression are serious business, and people will cope in all sorts of different ways, but "I think about killing myself every day, lol" in mismatched fonts with a distorted 3D image in the background basically feel like a combination of the '00s wacky omG!!1 humor & "~ * [emo song lyric] *~" AIM statuses. It annoys the poo poo out of me & is :rolleyes:-worthy 100% of the time I see it, but as a neurotypical person I don't know how to feel about commenting about it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Bonaventure posted:

tearing out your eyeballs on stage and then screaming in horror: "I can still see! I can still see!"

get a new bit

Good poo poo.

The worst is a boo hoo hoo, daddy... I'm too lazy to not eat fast food. Aren't I such a widdle fatty? But the doughnut is just toooooOOoOOooOoOoOoOooo hard to not open palm slam into my fat, drooling gob.

Oh ho ho, a diet you say? MY DIET IS STRAIGHT BACON DOUGHNUTS.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

YeahTubaMike posted:

Mental illness & depression are serious business, and people will cope in all sorts of different ways, but "I think about killing myself every day, lol" in mismatched fonts with a distorted 3D image in the background basically feel like a combination of the '00s wacky omG!!1 humor & "~ * [emo song lyric] *~" AIM statuses. It annoys the poo poo out of me & is :rolleyes:-worthy 100% of the time I see it, but as a neurotypical person I don't know how to feel about commenting about it.

comment on it anyway. live a little.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
In all fairness, I just did

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
the one were the comedian thinks he/she is smart for telling a sad story instead of jokes

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah I don't think Louie has aged well, even without the masturbation scandal

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
(extremely gbs voice) i dont like it when women

Peanut Butter
Nov 7, 2011

Wee mannie
Heard someone today who had an Ahmed the Dead Terrorist ringtone. In current year. Just "Silence, I kill you" repeating until they pick up.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That bit on movie trailers where someone takes a groin injury, and the camera cuts to a bunch of bros going "ooowhhh!" and reeling back in sympathy.
Come to think of it, anything in a movie trailer where the music stops for a moment is pretty awful.
Also, it might be a cultural thing, but every fragment of american talk shows I've seen has been bewilderingly unfunny. There appears to be no link between what is said and when the audience whoops and cackles.
Also any comedy favoured by people who own Funko Pops.

Rabbit Hill posted:

I'm not sure I've seen this before. Got any examples?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tree Bucket posted:

That bit on movie trailers where someone takes a groin injury, and the camera cuts to a bunch of bros going "ooowhhh!" and reeling back in sympathy.
Come to think of it, anything in a movie trailer where the music stops for a moment is pretty awful.
Also, it might be a cultural thing, but every fragment of american talk shows I've seen has been bewilderingly unfunny. There appears to be no link between what is said and when the audience whoops and cackles.
Also any comedy favoured by people who own Funko Pops.

I'm not sure I've seen this before. Got any examples?

I'm sorry it's not an american but there's a French-Canadian Comedian called François Bellefeuille that does this All The Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah I don't think Louie has aged well, even without the masturbation scandal

My new favorite show is 'High Maintenance' on HBO, it's like if Louie were written by a person who is good and sees good in the world and people in general. It is a breath of fresh air and it's really interesting to see a show devoid of mean, sarcastic humor that celebrates diversity.

I like it even more because typing it out it seems like a lame show but most people I have recommended it to, even the ones who typically enjoy mean, sarcastic humor like the show a lot because it's just so nice.