Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

This episode brought to you by spider talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

cokerpilot posted:

This episode brought to you by spider talk.
Being arachnophobic I heartily approve of the spider talk. They are a menace and THE WORLD NEEDS TO BE TOLD.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

anilEhilated posted:

Being arachnophobic I heartily approve of the spider talk. They are a menace and THE WORLD NEEDS TO BE TOLD.

:agreed:

If they're so innocent and harmless how come they're always sneaking into my house, huh? No flies in here. They're after something else. Blood.

I also agree with the condemnation of creepy crawlies in general. The cool insects neither creep nor crawl. Bees, butterflies, moths and ladybugs are all rad dudes.

(Wasps don't count. They're just evil bees. I suspect they creep when unobserved.)

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Black Robe posted:

I also agree with the condemnation of creepy crawlies in general. The cool insects neither creep nor crawl. Bees, butterflies, moths and ladybugs are all rad dudes.

(Wasps don't count. They're just evil bees. I suspect they creep when unobserved.)

I'd personally like to add praying mantises to the "cool insects" classification. Something about how clean they look, how big and obvious they are, and they way they carry themselves make them seem polite, somehow. Like they're embarrassed to be bugs.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
don't mind me, just pouring a bucket of house centipedes into "Cool Bugs"

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Meaty Ore posted:

I'd personally like to add praying mantises to the "cool insects" classification. Something about how clean they look, how big and obvious they are, and they way they carry themselves make them seem polite, somehow. Like they're embarrassed to be bugs.

I'll allow it in theory, though in practice I'd still freak out if one showed up in my house.

Fish Noise posted:

don't mind me, just pouring a bucket of house centipedes into "Cool Bugs"

No.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Black Robe posted:

I'll allow it in theory, though in practice I'd still freak out if one showed up in my house.

well, if one does show up in your house, it almost certainly doesn’t want to be there either, but if you can put it outside in your yard, I think they eat some kinds of garden pests (I know I’ve seen one instagib a moth) so you’ll both be happier

I see them in our yard during the spring and summer, and I try to avoid spraying them with the hose when I water because while I don’t want them close to me I think they’re all right

imo centipedes are conceptually neato, but they set off my insect phobia worse than mantises do so I absolutely understand your “no” on this subject :hai:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Did you know: in Japan, centipedes are the creature most closely associated with the essence of pure evil?

Granted, I've personally met some Japanese centipedes, and those bastards are NASTY. Bite worse than wasps, and they'll chase you down deliberately-- no "live and let live" mentality here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just started watching and the game immediately won the prize for best unintentional* auto-generated subtitle:

* or is it? :tinfoil:

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
That's quite some timing on glowing lizard talk.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
The lizards you want don't have glowing tails, they have white tails. They're pretty obvious, and there's always one at each of the save-point shrines scattered around the world (there are a few rare ones elsewhere as well). Incidentally, you never did figure out how to pray (save) at those shrines. Try again. IIRC, you hold the circle button in front of the stone to pray.

I don't mind spoiling this "secret" for you because actually finding, tracking, and hunting the lizard at each shrine is actually a fun bit of content and challenge. I remember them being a lot more wily than their black tailed brethren, and some took some serious effort to kill. Also, keep an eye out for fruit trees if you see any.

The colossi don't have official names, but the fanbase has somehow come to an agreement on what the names should be for each of them. I think someone wrote a walkthrough years and years ago for the game and he named them? Something like that?

The lizard, incidentally, is "Kuromori" ("Black Forest" in Japanese). The first one you fought was "Valus", and the knight was "Gaius". The bird was "Avion". I can't remember most of the others you've fought so far.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Your health was going down while you were standing there, you didn't instantly die. I assume the mist from his breath attack is some sort of poisonous fumes.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Iunnrais posted:

The lizard, incidentally, is "Kuromori" ("Black Forest" in Japanese).

forest? nah, it'll be a contraction of "kuro-yamori" ("black gecko")

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 10 - Please Go Off

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

Your health was going down while you were standing there, you didn't instantly die. I assume the mist from his breath attack is some sort of poisonous fumes.

Yeah I had a look back the the recording and saw. That there's no visual or sound cue is a bit of a pain.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Normally, you'd be looking through the usual camera angle and you'd see the mist around you. I don't think they expected people to be aiming arrows the whole time they're in the mist.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Ladybugs are actually cannibals, y'know.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Wish you had used Agro more in the turtle fight. He's a big help in luring the big monster to the right spot. If you stay too close, getting it to move to exactly the right spot is a huge pain in the neck, as you saw. If you stay at a distance, it's not that bad positioning it, and then since you're on horseback you can get yourself right back to where you need to be in a jiffy. And it's good practice for... well, spoilers.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 11 - Walk Without Rhythm.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Not caught up on the LP yet, but having played the game and knowing this reference via pop cultural osmosis...

:getin:

Kangra
May 7, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Not caught up on the LP yet, but having played the game and knowing this reference via pop cultural osmosis...

:getin:

Actually they'll be fighting a tapdancing Christopher Walken colossus.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Kangra posted:

Actually they'll be fighting a tapdancing Christopher Walken colossus.

Wow, rude, just casually dropping spoilers out in the open like that.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...thanks, Nat, now I'm going to have the drat Um Bongo jingle in my head all day :catstare:

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
....aaaand this boss is why I was hoping you'd practice with Agro more. Absolutely one of the best two colossi in the game. Quite ironic how the first thing you said upon entering the cave is that you didn't think Agro had anything to do with fighting the thing. And yeah, you haven't NEEDED to use Agro before now (although he would have been really HELPFUL in a number of them) so you just assumed that Agro's only mechanic was to bring you TO the boss arena. Not so.

Is firing behind you from sitting on Agro's back new to the PS4 version? I distinctly remember having to stand up in the saddle first...

In other news: You found fruit! It doesn't just heal you either... pity you left some on the tree. They increase your MAX health.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 5, 2019

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

No, you can definitely fire backward in the original version. I've never been able to consistently do the standing up move.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Really? It's just a matter of holding a button and a direction for a moment, then aiming as normal...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Well...That's certainly one way to win that fight...

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I don't think that was actually a glitch, just the physics engine being a bit tetchy; I've had that happen to me before as well.

The best way to do this fight is to use the camera to try dropping directly onto its back; failing that, staying close is your best bet to avoid attacks. That said, I also feel bad about this one--the poor kitty!

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 8, 2019

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The guy and the girl both have names, though they don't really come up in the game itself since there's pretty much no dialogue. As for the colossi, there are no canonical names for them in the game itself or in any associated side materials, though some websites out there swear up and down that there are official name lists that were released for them at some point.

This is another colossus that can be a pain in the rear end your first time through the game. It's interesting because the body language it displays when you're diving it back with the fire is almost enough to make you feel guilty or sympathetic to it... unless it manages to knock you down and then systematically maul you to death by stun-locking you whenever you try to get back up.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Meaty Ore posted:

That said, I also feel bad about this one--the poor kitty!

:same: it seems so much less monstrous than some of the others. (Biased, who me?)

Also Walker holds his scabbard when he runs because otherwise it whacks into your legs and is really annoying/potentially a trip hazard.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 8, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Psst, Nat. You were too busy watching the footie last night and forgot to post here when Episode 14 went up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

Psst, Nat. You were too busy watching the footie last night and forgot to post here when Episode 14 went up.

Apologies for the late posting here folks. It was my birthday yesterday and I was tremendously, tremendously drunk at 11pm.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm not sure you needed an excuse :v: but happy birthday!

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I smiled when you got lost in that beautiful dark forest on the way to this colossus. I have gotten lost in that same forest the majority of times I've played this game. The beam of light goes directly for it, it's clearly designed specifically to trap you in the cul-de-sac. I feel like there were fewer patches of light in the PS2 version, but I could be wrong about that... I just remember being stuck in there for like 15-30 minutes on multiple playthroughs of this game.

The fight itself took you a while to figure out simply because you had a hard time grasping that swimming underwater wasn't just to dodge, it makes you go faster. Falling off the thing's belly multiple times sounds about right from my memory though. It's a pain in the neck to fight casually. The best part about learning the speedrun strat is never having to spend multiple iterations swimming around to its back.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Assuming we will not see the colossus in question again - what is the speedrun strat here?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated posted:

Assuming we will not see the colossus in question again - what is the speedrun strat here?

I'd like to request that this be behind spoilers as Tea and I are going to watch speedrun strats on the bosses and commentate through them as our final episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Nat20: Definitely don't read these spoilers yet!

The strat I learned years ago has been superseded by a MUCH faster one these days that involves having the colossus push you deep underwater to its weakpoint, and it turns out it's possible to get a plant on the thing even fully submerged. If you're not aware, a "plant" is a specific spot you can grab onto a weakspot where you stay "planted" with all four limbs glued to the colossus even while it shakes about (or goes underwater). Every weakspot in the game has a possible plant, although they can be super finicky to land.

The old strat is slower but, in my opinion, more fun/visually appealing: Get his attention with an arrow, he'll duck his face just low enough for just long enough that you can jump all the way up to the top of his head from the first island where you wake him up from. From there, go as normal. Then the trick is simply to get a good plant on the weak spot and stab with the right rhythm so you one-cycle him down. Mistime it and you're getting dunked. If you miss it, it's POSSIBLE to regrab the face, but I was never able to do it-- it's swimming time again, which sucks, which is why I bothered learning the timing-- not that I still remember it today. I just wanted the unlocks you get for doing time attacks fast enough.