Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 15 - Volvagia! Twinmold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Another one of my favorite battles in this game. This was definitely one of the few colossi I truly felt bad about killing.

Also, I've always found it interesting that the protagonist is such a natural at his shooting bow, riding Agro, and shooting his bow while riding Agro, but is absolutely abysmal when it comes to swordsmanship.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
One cycling is definitely possible if you know how to jump stab. Grabbing the rear wings is not possible.

This is the other of my favorite two colossi, just for its sheer beauty. I always feel bad killing this one.

It's fan-given name is Phalanx.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

W.T. Fits posted:

Another one of my favorite battles in this game. This was definitely one of the few colossi I truly felt bad about killing.

Also, I've always found it interesting that the protagonist is such a natural at his shooting bow, riding Agro, and shooting his bow while riding Agro, but is absolutely abysmal when it comes to swordsmanship.

It honestly makes a lot of sense, he's likely not had the sword for long. Every bit of story points to him having stolen it for his quest.

The sword has magical properties, outside of JRPGs, when would you ever give something like that to someone that young?
He's in the forbidden land trying to resurrect the girl who was sacrificed for ~reasons~
He's awkward with it, constantly clutching the sheath when he's running.
His gait is unbalanced with the sword out, while it's much smoother and natural looking with the bow in hand.
He's clearly not trained with a sword while being fantastically skilled with his bow and mounted combat.
Out of the six people that are heading toward the temple at the end of Ep 14, only one has a sword. The weapon doesn't even seem common to his people.

This game is so dang good at telling it's story through subtle details.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That was one beautiful colossus you just murdered.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 16 - This Makes Sense

Forgive me for how terrible we are.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I love those canyons! They are so easy to get lost in! It's great!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Tea posted:

the time has come to scour every friggin square inch of this- oh.
:allears:

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
I just got to this moment and agree with the post perfectly.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

This is why I'm cool with the lost wandering. You're still talking, the gears are still turning, there's no extended period of dead air, the situation hasn't deteriorated into repeat blind rage cliff dives or an exponential cognitive death spiral. And the payoff: perfect.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Absolutely. I was cool with fast forwarding the horse because you had figured out the trick, it was just a matter of getting it to do its thing incredibly slowly, which is dull and boring. This was rife with tension and puzzle solving and all that cool stuff! Great episode!

Fans tend to agree that Phalanx, the flying dragon colossus, is innocent and pure and it is a terrible crime to kill it. Fans also tend to agree that Cenobia, this one, is a dangerous monster and killing it is doing the world a service. Even so, once you've stripped off its armor and it starts hurting itself on charges... it feels like something majestic has been lost. This grand beast brought low. There's a sadness to that too.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Iunnrais posted:

Fans tend to agree that Phalanx, the flying dragon colossus, is innocent and pure and it is a terrible crime to kill it.

:hmmyes:

lunnrais posted:

Fans also tend to agree that Cenobia, this one, is a dangerous monster and killing it is doing the world a service.

I disagree. To me, Cenobia comes across more as like a guard dog trying to protect its territory and itself from a dangerous intruder. Yes, it's highly aggressive, but so were most of the other colossi once they notice you. He only seems more dangerous because he's small and quick, instead of large and lumbering. And really, at the end of the day, the only reason you're a threat to him at all is because you have the sword; who's to say how it would react to someone approaching it without it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 18 - Accelerated Time Shenanigans

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

I appreciate that moment near the end where you guys are both getting that admiral Ackbar alert in your brains but you can't do anything else other than keep going forward.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

"The straight man and the dick bicker all the time and the grizzled old professional is the one who can be relied upon to actually provide accurate commentage."

Tea, you just described pretty much every RPG party ever.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 19 - That Has To Be A Game Over

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

"I'm so good at this game!"
Proceeds to not just climb down the wrist after the sword gets dropped to get to the hand.

The voice manages to always be super helpful and clear right after you've figured out what to do. I don't know what the triggers are for the tips, but I swear the game manages to tell you just after you've solved it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bumper episode this time guys!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Soooo close!

I really am sorry about your misfortune, but I must admit I was laughing hysterically at it. A little hint: you can also stab the left hand too; he won't try to grab it, but he will hold it still long enough for you to get onto his arm, so you can save some stamina.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It may interest you guys to know that the (fan) name of this colossus is "Malus".

It definitely fits.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Thy next foe...

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
That was loving beautiful. Don't get down on yourself, everybody has a tough time with this boss the first time through.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

That was an extremely choice ragequit :allears:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any idea what was it they picked up before opening the door to the final area? I did not notice a stamina increase.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Yes, but it's such a massive spoiler I won't even tell you fully in spoiler tags. I'll only say that it wasn't in the original PS2 release, or the PS3 remaster.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
I've been waiting the whole game to tell them, especially since they picked that first one up many many episodes ago when they got lost.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Not quite all she wrote but officially the end of the LP. We'll have a bonus episode coming on Wednesday!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.strawpoll.me/18860585

Also a poll on what you want us to look at next! I'm also accepting write ins and if there's something that's sufficiently popular we'll go for it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Good to see that a janky boss fight didn't ruin your opinion of the game as a whole, because you definitely seemed to be genuinely having fun for 90+% of the game before then.

Might just be me, but it seemed this episode had some audio feedback issues? I even switched devices in the middle of the video and it didn't help.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene posted:

Good to see that a janky boss fight didn't ruin your opinion of the game as a whole, because you definitely seemed to be genuinely having fun for 90+% of the game before then.

Might just be me, but it seemed this episode had some audio feedback issues? I even switched devices in the middle of the video and it didn't help.

No it's not just you. It looks like Tea sat his phone a little too close to my microphone.

I won't be able to cut it from this episode but I should be able to find the waveform that indicates its happening and cut it from the bonus episode.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 29, 2019

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I think you have the wrong idea about things, stemming from "genre savvyness". We don't really have any evidence that Dormin is necessarily evil. We do have evidence that the Shaman at the end is evil though. Their society practices human sacrifice. gently caress that. Dormin was honorable the entire time. He/she/they kept their word. He/she/they told no lies, didn't shy away from the costs, made no attempt at manipulation-- just discussed a transaction with pretty much all the cards on the table. Our hero was not ignorant of the outcome. He wasn't blind to the consequences as you kept implying, as you made fun of him for it... he went into it fully knowing what this was about.

The hero (named Wander not Randy, according to official promotional materials) goes through it with courage, bravery, and a sheer dogged determination that boggles belief. Yes, from the perspective of someone holding a video game controller, it wasn't that hard. But I think the game wants to present itself as being nigh-unconquerable. The fact that you can conquer it should be a testament to Wander, not the non-existant (story-wise) simplicity of the task. With little to no skill with a sword, with a weapon of choice (the bow) that can barely even get these things' attention, just sheer bloody minded determination he mounts (literally) all obstacles. As the game goes on, his model slowly deteriorates... I think the change was a bit more drastic in the PS2 version-- here, I don't think you noticed until the final cutscene where Wander is nearly a zombie. In the PS2 version, there was only barely a difference between the start of the Malus fight and the confrontation with the shaman's forces.

Just imagining the dedication he has to this quest, knowing it's killing him little by little on the way... that's powerful to me. He isn't trying to resurrect the girl for himself. It's not like he's going to get to marry her and settle down or anything like that. He just can't stand for there to be a world where she isn't in it.

Anyway, I really hate the human society of this game world. Ico too. (Haven't yet played The Last Guardian, though I'd really like to.) Sacrificing people is bullshit. Self-sacrifice, as Wander does here, is much more meaningful.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

One thing I'd forgotten since I watched a different LP of this game years ago was how Dormin mentioned quite explicitly that their body was broken up into 16 parts.

I wonder if that puts a big damper on the whole guilty feeling you're supposed to have, from killing the individual colossi. Even if they developed new individual identities, it doesn't seem like those individual identities would necessarily be lost by bringing Dormin back. We even see some of those shadows hurriedly rushing in to rejoin Dormin. It could be out of fear, but it didn't appear to be unwilling. Dormin has always been a "legion" sort of being, speaking in multiple voices and referring to themself as "we"... but then again, Dormin's lines delivered in that ending bit where they fully possess Wander sound like more of a singular voice. Not sure if that's just me not listening closely enough, but before the multiple voices were way more obvious and easy to hear.

But even if killing the individual colossi turns out to mean very little, and isn't a tragedy for them, I think all the sad-music bits still fit for mourning Wander himself. As he gets progressively taken over by these strange forces, giving up more and more of himself, choosing each time to keep going down this path no matter how much it costs him. I agree with that big post up there that Wander couldn't be that oblivious. He likely knew all along to take all that "heavy price" talk seriously. But he also likely decided all along that he did not loving care one bit.

btw despite all your worries about this LP format not really letting you get too emotionally immersed in the game... it was really great to see you actually play out all that determination down to the end, Nat!

Nat20 posted:

I will grab on to every single step, in defiance of this...

:allears:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Bonus Episode 01 - Oh Come on!

And that my friends is all she wrote.

I've had a quick go through the audio to try to mute out the feedback issue we had. Some of it has still gotten through but hopefully our reactions to what's going on more than make up for it.

As an aside, the poll for the new LP is still up with Super Metroid firmly in the lead. If you have any other interesting games you want Tea and I to have a look at we are more than open to suggestions.

Thanks once again to Bifauxnen for dealing with the art side and all of you for following along! Hope to catch you on our next adventure in a month's time!

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
The nickname Streisand for the bearded colossus is probably because the standard name for it is "Barba."

As for other suggested games, I'd be very interested to see you try Asura's Wrath, for more ridiculous escalation.

Also Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, to see your thoughts on how it compares to Symphony of the Night.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Natural 20 posted:

I'm also accepting write ins and if there's something that's sufficiently popular we'll go for it.

Tea posted:

not in the last, like, twenty years probably?
Space Jam was probably actually the last time I saw a basketball.
I'm thinking you two need to do a Let's Watch of Space Jam just for Tea's benefit.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Your reactions to the crazier techniques are correct and you shouldn't be ashamed. The speed runners have had the original game to work on for thirteen years and over a year and a half on this version.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I honestly never knew just how ridiculously far Wander Randy can get flung if you time a jump just right. The best I ever managed was on the third Colossus, either making the jump onto his waist, or onto his arm above where it's supposed to break. Really, I think perhaps the nuttiest things were:

--Skipping righto the head of Eelossus
--Randy charges the final boss (I've never been able to make it across the field; always did it the conventional way)

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Now that you guys have beaten the game it's time for me to post this video. It describes how committed players of the original game were to finding all of the hidden things the developers inserted into the game, and explains what those little twinkling lights you guys picked up were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQNeYbBiCKw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
As someone who has done some lower level speed running of this game, let me just say that in your commentary for a few of them, you say “oh, well, once you know where to go it’s just a matter of doing it” or something to the effect. Such as for Kuromori (the lizard, or “Mufasa” if you will).

It is absolutely not. You may remember that when you fought it, after you stabbed one weak point, it immediately go up and climbed the walls again. In fact, I think it did so before you even got all the way through the first weakpoint, requiring THREE cycles.

The timing of strikes to one cycle these colossi is NOT EASY. Not even a little. There’s a difference between doing a 95% stab and a 90% stab. The positioning is finicky... yes, the weak points are sometimes much bigger than the symbol, but that doesn’t matter because there’s a millimeter sized patch of fur you want to grab with Wander’s left hand so that when it shakes it doesn’t interrupt your stab. Things like that.

Other comments as I come to them:
NTA stands for “Normal Time Attack”. There’s a hard mode to the game which gives you less stamina and adds additional weak points to each boss.

For the “cat”, the game plays the falling off the cliff cutscene if you are holding the fire and the colossus is close enough to the edge. Normal you have to back him up there, because he always backs away from you if you’re holding the fire. But if you drop the fire, you can lure him to charge you, pick up the torch, and trigger the cutscene without having to make it slowly back up.

For phalanx (the flying dragon), the trick to one cycling isn’t just speed. If you destroy a weakpoint, it will inevitably dive immediately. The trick is to not destroy each weakpoint, doing just barely less than full weakpoint damage. Turns out, that then finishing off the third weakpoint does enough to kill it even though the other two aren’t cleared. The trick to doing exactly enough damage needed on each weakpoint is really hard, and getting proper jumpstab form is absolutely required. Speed is also required, as after doing a bit of damage, a countdown starts that will ALSO cause it to dive. So there is that.

For Cenobia (the bull in the city), they got a “plant”, one of those millimeter wide patches where even if the colossus shakes you can still stab it. Stabbing it also resets its shaking/running/charging pattern, so as long as you have that plant and the initial shaking doesn’t interrupt your stabs, you can stunlock it. The running WOULD dislodge the plant, so it’s a good thing that this works.

For Malus, the final boss, there is an EXACT route where he’ll miss you. And I do mean EXACT. I can do the first part, but I’ve never managed the second half of the run. The first skip is exacting enough for me. You’ll note he also gets a plant on the head. As much as Malus was shaking about, the stabbing continued.

If you have any other questions about the speed run strays, let me know.

Iunnrais fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Oct 31, 2019