Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

About the Game

Shadow of the Colossus is a game of incredible fame, the original, releasing in 2005 on Playstation 2 courtesy of the legendary developers from Team Ico garnered near universal praise, with reviewers highlighting an incredible plot and atmosphere as key highlights of the game.

The game received a rerelease on PS3 alongside Ico, in 2011 with HD graphics alongside content that had previously been missing from the North American version of the game. Again, praise was high, the quality of the original game shone through, but real care had been made with the transition to HD and a new console.

However, this was not to be the last release of the game. In 2018 Sony released a full remake of the original, using ultra-high definition art assets, releasing on the Playstation 4. The remake was fronted by Bluepoint, the same developer that was behind the 2011 remake and once again, the game received high praise from critics who felt that the remake preserved the spirit of the original whilst bringing some much-needed modern improvements. And this is the game we'll be playing.

The game presents itself as a third person action game, with the protagonist engaging in duels with the titular Colossi. The player needs to identify weak points on his enemies, dodge their attacks and slowly find a way to exploit openings to their fullest advantage. Climbing is the activity of the day here as ultimately Colossi aren’t going to fall just from someone the size of an ant ineffectively flailing at their feet!

About the LP

I will be playing alongside my erstwhile colleague and best friend, the incredible Yorkshire Tea. Both of us are running into the LP completely blind! I’ll be piloting our hero whilst Tea provides me with advice and moral support. Our hope is that our combined and unique skillsets will see us through and win us the day, our worry is that we’ll compound each other’s terrible thoughts and get ourselves killed in the stupidest ways.

I expect, given our prior LPs that we’re going to be fairly strongly focused on the topic at hand, trying to solve problems and presenting what hopefully seems like a reasoned critique of the game as it begins to play out.

Art such as it is, like the title image and the episode banners will be handled by the wonderful Bifauxnen. (Who is long overdue for a credit in these OPs)

Episodes

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

Usual reminder that the New LP thread exists and you should post on it.

Looking forward to this, I know just enough about the game to be curious how well it achieves all the things it tries to do. And of course it's very pretty.

Thanks!

It'll definitely go up in the thread tomorrow, I usually like to have a couple of episodes up before I do though so anyone browsing in from there can get a bit more of a sample.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 02 - Videogame Senses Correct

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

cant cook creole bream posted:

The title clearly should have been. "On the shoulders of giants."

I hate you so much for how right you are.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 03 - I Had No Idea

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Tea and I have wildly varying views on this encounter.

I'll explain in detail after next episode.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like Tea and I will want highlights of SotC speedruns later. I might even do a bonus at the end of the LP where we watch them and just see all the crazy stuff that's being suggested here for the first time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 07 - Lost

Okay, so this was an editing decision I'm uncertain of.

We spend most of this episode completely lost, but I felt that in doing so we were at least exploring the world and engaging in what seems to be an important part of the experience. If people want me to cut this stuff down in the future, please chime in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 08 - Shadow of the Colosseel

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 10 - Please Go Off

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

Your health was going down while you were standing there, you didn't instantly die. I assume the mist from his breath attack is some sort of poisonous fumes.

Yeah I had a look back the the recording and saw. That there's no visual or sound cue is a bit of a pain.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 11 - Walk Without Rhythm.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Black Robe posted:

Psst, Nat. You were too busy watching the footie last night and forgot to post here when Episode 14 went up.

Apologies for the late posting here folks. It was my birthday yesterday and I was tremendously, tremendously drunk at 11pm.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated posted:

Assuming we will not see the colossus in question again - what is the speedrun strat here?

I'd like to request that this be behind spoilers as Tea and I are going to watch speedrun strats on the bosses and commentate through them as our final episode.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 15 - Volvagia! Twinmold?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 16 - This Makes Sense

Forgive me for how terrible we are.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 18 - Accelerated Time Shenanigans

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 19 - That Has To Be A Game Over

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bumper episode this time guys!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Not quite all she wrote but officially the end of the LP. We'll have a bonus episode coming on Wednesday!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://www.strawpoll.me/18860585

Also a poll on what you want us to look at next! I'm also accepting write ins and if there's something that's sufficiently popular we'll go for it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Commander Keene posted:

Good to see that a janky boss fight didn't ruin your opinion of the game as a whole, because you definitely seemed to be genuinely having fun for 90+% of the game before then.

Might just be me, but it seemed this episode had some audio feedback issues? I even switched devices in the middle of the video and it didn't help.

No it's not just you. It looks like Tea sat his phone a little too close to my microphone.

I won't be able to cut it from this episode but I should be able to find the waveform that indicates its happening and cut it from the bonus episode.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 29, 2019

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Bonus Episode 01 - Oh Come on!

And that my friends is all she wrote.

I've had a quick go through the audio to try to mute out the feedback issue we had. Some of it has still gotten through but hopefully our reactions to what's going on more than make up for it.

As an aside, the poll for the new LP is still up with Super Metroid firmly in the lead. If you have any other interesting games you want Tea and I to have a look at we are more than open to suggestions.

Thanks once again to Bifauxnen for dealing with the art side and all of you for following along! Hope to catch you on our next adventure in a month's time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I hate YouTube playlists.