Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

So the thread on american poverty had a good idea but the thread itself turned into utter loving poo poo. Let's start again without the lovely drama.

The United States of America (death come to it swiftly) is the richest country in the world and may be the richest entity the human race has ever seen. Despite this: 30K people die from lack of health insurance, 1/6 of american children will go without a meal today, 12% of all americans will experience "food insecurity", 25% of americans don't have dental insurance (much less can afford to go to a dentist), and over a half million people are estimated to be homeless.

These are loving stark numbers for a country that gives 8 yachts to the woman who's supposed to run the federal education department. Poverty exists in every nation, and some nations do experience things worse than in america. But what makes the scale in america so terrible is how the resources easily exist to fix all of these issues within a year or two of community actions. This doesn't happen because that would be communist so people need to die to learn a lesson about being born poor.

Here's some poo poo about the situation:

https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=22533&LangID=E

quote:

4. I have seen and heard a lot over the past two weeks. I met with many people barely surviving on Skid Row in Los Angeles, I witnessed a San Francisco police officer telling a group of homeless people to move on but having no answer when asked where they could move to, I heard how thousands of poor people get minor infraction notices which seem to be intentionally designed to quickly explode into unpayable debt, incarceration, and the replenishment of municipal coffers, I saw sewage filled yards in states where governments don’t consider sanitation facilities to be their responsibility, I saw people who had lost all of their teeth because adult dental care is not covered by the vast majority of programs available to the very poor, I heard about soaring death rates and family and community destruction wrought by prescription and other drug addiction, and I met with people in the South of Puerto Rico living next to a mountain of completely unprotected coal ash which rains down upon them bringing illness, disability and death.

6. American exceptionalism was a constant theme in my conversations. But instead of realizing its founders’ admirable commitments, today’s United States has proved itself to be exceptional in far more problematic ways that are shockingly at odds with its immense wealth and its founding commitment to human rights. As a result, contrasts between private wealth and public squalor abound.

talk about your own experiences, post pictures (of which there's so goddamn much), and otherwise talk about how we got here (capitalism) and how we get out of this situation (:thermidor:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Warren released a health care plan that punishes the poor for having sad brains when being poor is already a huge factor in having mental illness to begin with

This is one of the most leftwing Democrats in this country. Reform won't save the poor

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Homelessness can be solved in America for a third of the amount we increased the military budget last year.

Devil loving nation

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Chris hedges owns, and we are hosed.