Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I hope it fires off.

Edit: A terrible snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

https://i.imgur.com/qBSkmMt.mp4

Unfortunately one of the water pump pulley bolts broke, so now I've gotta fix that. I'm going to give it all the basic fluids and fix the tensioner for the power steering and AC.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If a Lexus 1uz fits in a Miata a 4.6 should too...

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's my wife's car. I don't fit without a drop floor and a race seat. I'm 20 pounds heavier than when I briefly owned an NB Miata, which I never really fit in. I might supercharge it or Duratec/MZR swap it one day but a stock Miata is plenty of fun and a perfect car to learn to carve some corners.

The only plans I have for the car are a roll bar plus whatever repairs/suspension work need to happen.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Miata report: I was able to extract the remains of the bolt from the hole in the water pump. I cleaned the pulley bolt hole with a tap, ran a new bolt through it. After I tensioned the belt, then let it sit idling in my sloped driveway without the rad cap on and the heater on full for several minutes. I gave the hoses some good burpin' and took it for a short drive.

It runs decent! Now I just need to fix the PS/AC belt tensioner, give it fresh plugs and oil etc.

I also need to fix:
Passenger side top retainer. It wants to flip open.
Window regulators.
Small rust patch.

Whatever other PO fuckery is undiscovered and present.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
With the Miata running and pending additional parts like the AC/PS tensioner, I attempted to work on the 4.6's wiring harness by trying to locate the crank sensor wire. I lopped off 2 or 3 connectors total when I pulled this harness out of the yard, so it's critical I get it right if I want the car to run. I also checked the O2 sensor plugs but didn't have any luck there either, so what the hell.

I was able to verify that the harness was fine by verifying pin 1, which goes to coil pack 6. I also verified the throttle position sensor wiring was good. But I couldn't find the crank position sensor :(

This is the bastard.

I'm kinda stumped, because I'm almost certain I have a 99 or 2000 harness, and they appear to be the same.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Do the wire colors match on the TPS and pin 1 of the harness to your diagram? What about pins 21 and 22?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The Miata has achieved full basic functionality in time for my wife to have a trip to the emergency room last weekend. She's doing much better now. I put more details in the November chat thread, but needless to say I haven't spent a ton of time working on cars.

I've had a few hours to figure the harness out. I learned that all the outer connectors are for the coil packs, which makes sense since they're all electrically noisy and you wouldn't want them crapping EMI into the rest of the harness. I also learned that wasn't coil connector 6. I've labeled about half the available connectors since, including the crank and cam position sensors.

So far I've labeled all the coil packs, injectors, cam, crank, O2 sensors, MAF, TPS, and some others I'm forgetting since I don't have my printouts in front of me.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Made solid progress on the wiring harness this weekend. The big things left are the fan wiring, knock sensors, and coolant temp sensor, fuel pump and fuel pressure.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The wiring harness I have is weird. It has some of the 00/99+ pattern and some of the earlier pattern. The coils are all the later pattern ex: 6 is on pin 1, but the fuel pressure sensor is on 14. Does anyone know how to repin it?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

There's a few vidjayos out there of how to re-pin the ends of a harness.
I think it got covered by either South Main or as part of the loom adventures of Binky as well.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It's all about having the right de-pinning tool and knowing how to use it without damaging the pin or connector body. I'd practice first. Sometimes you have to wiggle, twist, push, or NOT do one or multiple of those things.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I finally felt up to working on something. I pulled the valve cover off the Miata and the problem that killed it last time didn't kill it this time. The engine seems to turn fine, and the timing belt seems to be no worse for it. I'm at a loss, because it had all the same symptoms of no tach signal when cranking.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Bad coil, CPS, or something like that?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I had no tach signal so I'm going throw the old cam sensor back in it and see what happens. I've just been fighting the crud for the last two weeks.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Finally got over the crud this week. I put the valve cover back on and put in the old cam sensor, but the battery was dead. I'm going to try again to start it tomorrow after leaving it on a trickle charge overnight.

I grabbed another Continental harness, and this time I labeled it on the way out.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
:stare:
Miata appears to be timed correctly. Put in the old cam sensor. Verified crank sensor gap.

No tach signal. Car won't start again.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Time to channel your inner SMA and start chasing wiring.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

You are insane, I put a 5.0 into a 240SX and it was a huge pain in the rear end to clearance. Godspeed, sir.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Posting an update later, I need to put up some pictures. I needed to address my disorganizational chaos that was impacting my mental health before resuming work on Poorject Cars. I've done basic maintenance on the FoST and Outback, but oil changes are boring.

I put up tire racks. All of my spare wheels/tires are off the ground and above my head.
I built a work bench. It's stout. I've broken down some of my wire shelves so they're out of the way.

I built some panel speakers that I need to hang so they don't sound as :mediocre:

Edit: some of the poo poo I talked about in pictures:

I still need to hang the bikes, but moving the EJ+trans made a big difference already.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 14, 2020

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What's up? Things that should not have been put on the floor in the first place. The organizational saga as it stands. Before I really started work in the garage I needed to make a keyboard tray for my temporary office space so I didn't nuke my shoulders/back/body. It's using a music stand base but is untouched otherwise. Wife was pleased I did not do anything than remove the top of her music stand.

Right, garage time:

These are actually speakers driven by $30 of exciters. They sound great as long as you avoid going below 150hz. You can see the spare set of 18" Ford wheels for my FoST. I tried to find 17"s but that's what I found on CL a few years ago and beggars can't be choosers. It never got cold enough to switch away from the stock summers this year. Anyway.

Building a bench, and the organizing stuff around it:

I broke down two wire shelves. The 18x24 had served as an improptu tiny bench for several years, but it was holding me back. The big thing was freeing up all the space.

This helped, too:

Next step is to figure out what to tackle next. Getting the medium number of things off the floor and organized on the other side of the 240sx. This is not as exciting as working on the cars, but it's been key for my sanity.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
What kind of bike mounts are they, and do you like them?
They look good, and easy(?) to use.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
They've only been up for about a week, but so far so good. They are easy to use.

RAD Sportz Bicycle Hoist Quality Garage Storage Bike Lift with 100 lb Capacity. https://www.amazon.com/2005-Cycle-Products-Bike-Hoist/dp/B000PEURIQ

I mounted them to a 2x4 to make installation easier. The Raleigh is about 25-30lbs and the Felt is just under 20. They're both nowhere near capacity.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

You're getting me all inspired to continue my organizational push in the barn and garage. Hopefully we've had the last of the colder days.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I changed the cabin and air filters on the Outback and FoST. The air filter on the Outback is kind of annoying, and the cabin filter is incredibly easy. The air filter after trimming it to loving fit, because non-OEMs can't get it right out out of the box is pretty easy on the FoST. The cabin filter is really stupid. It's not difficult, but you have to make it squeeze into the space and it's not the easiest place to get to.

I also practiced TIG welding on a muffler/silencer from a $100 full exhaust for a 90s Civic.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjxAAezqJZQ

Makin' Templates, Makin Metal Templates.

Take some cardboard, mark it,

Transfer it to Metal, put it on a Template.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Goddamn I wish I could heart this

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've been welding that panel in on and off between home improvement projects (which I have been beastmoding on) and putting myself back together from how hosed up things are right now. Hope to have it done sooner than later.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Bump. Retimed the Miata. Did it in about 30 minutes. Who knew getting regular sleep would help, aside from every parent/person who studies sleep?

Battery is d e a d.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 17, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oh you’d love this. We’re putting the old 2v 4.6 from my GT (built up, completely forged and polished etc) into a 2002 crown vic

Because why not take an old cop car and make it 600 rwhp. Basically make the car from tommy boy

That 240 is a swap i would’ve never ever thought of. Badass even

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Update on the anything: this MX-5 is full of bullshit. I've done extensive troubleshooting in it and it just won't run.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wrar posted:

Update on the anything: this MX-5 is full of bullshit. I've done extensive troubleshooting in it and it just won't run.

Compression test?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, time to go back to basics and verify what's there and what's not - fuel, air/compression, spark.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's spark. If replacing the EGI relay and cam sensor doesn't work I'll try a coil pack and see if they're both bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Did you replace the cam sensor or is it the old one?

Savington had a brand new NB cam sensor be dead out of the box, and Fatcow's maiden voyage in his NB was cut short due to a cam sensor that went bad.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I've tried a different cam sensor already but I'll try another one since they apparently are mostly bullshit.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Aren't NB coil packs notioursly lovely?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Just firing the parts gun at it now. So many meter checks and bullshit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Suburban Dad posted:

Aren't NB coil packs notioursly lovely?

It's wasted spark coil near plug, I can't remember if they're that unreliable. They're cheap at least; there's a few coil pack revisions in the NAs and one of them is easily $300 and not compatible due to tach signal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
There are aftermarket kits for Coil On/Near Plug conversions these days using various coils. Mnet seems to think the coils die a lot but who knows, Mnet says a lot of things.