Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

:siren:No spoilers whatsoever!:siren: This game's story is dumb in the best possible way, and should be experienced as blind as possible. I will be updating the profile list with new characters, places and groups as they become relevant, hidden behind spoiler tags. If you want to discuss plot twists that occurred in the most recent update, please be courteous and spoiler-tag them. (I will use a spoiler tag for one brief section below, but that's it!)

:siren:A BRIEF NOTE ABOUT A FREELY-AVAILABLE SPOILER:siren: Feel free to post fanart or concept art. However, be warned that there's a lot of official art which shows Kate using her water manipulation abilities. Please do not post ANY images depicting this, as this is a big spoiler that was used in the marketing of the remake which I have hidden from my co-commentator, and I want to keep it that way. Thank you for your understanding and enjoy the show!

PLAYLIST – CUT
PLAYLIST – UNCUT

Act 1
Episode 1 - Allodoxaphobia - Cut | Uncut | Documents and Journals
Episode 2 - Cymophobia - Cut | Uncut | Documents and Journals

Act 2
Episode 3 - Hormephobia - Cut | Uncut | Documents and Journals
Episode 4 - Paronomasiaphobia - Cut | Uncut | Documents and Journals
Episode 5 - Selachophobia - Cut | Uncut

Act 3
Episode 6 - Pharmacophobia - Cut | Uncut
Episode 7 - Technophobia - Cut | Uncut

Epilogue

What is this game?
Hydrophobia is a high-concept action-adventure game created by Dark Energy Digital, best described as the lovechild of BioShock, Poseidon Adventure, and Die Hard. It was originally released exclusively for Xbox Live Arcade in 2010. In 2011, Dark Energy completely remade the game as Hydrophobia Prophecy for PlayStation Network and Steam (and rather ominously, not XBLA).

The year is 2051, and the world's population has spiraled out of control, in an event known as the Global Population Flood. A city-sized cruise liner, the Queen of the World, was constructed in a desperate bid to keep the rich away from the swarms of filthy uneducated poor folk. Our protagonist, Kate Wilson, is a systems engineer working on-board the Queen of the World. As the crew gets ready to celebrate her tenth year at sea, a gang of mysterious terrorists hijack the ship and start killing indiscriminately. Kate, with the help of her boss and best friend Scoot McGraw, must find out what the assailants want and how to stop them.

While this is the literal story of Hydrophobia, the game also tells a sordid tale of arrogance, over-ambition, fights with the media, an avalanche of public relations disasters, and a development team that refused to acknowledge their precious baby had serious flaws until it was too late to save their reputation.

Holy crap, that sounds awful!
Well the first game is trash, I'm not afraid to admit that, but I kinda like the remake. It's no masterpiece, but it's alright. What I want to do is make this LP a study in contrasts, as we get to see how a developer swallowed its pride and turned a horrible game into a decent one.

So, what exactly happened between Dark Energy Digital and the critics?
Well I don't want to give everything away in the OP, but it was pretty nasty. When Hydrophobia first came out in 2009, it was met with scathing reviews. Critics and players alike hated the floaty controls, awkward button mapping, ridiculous story, annoying characters (particularly Scoot), and abrupt cliffhanger ending.

That being said, the critics did like one thing about the original version: it was praised for its revolutionary water technology. Prior to Hydrophobia, some games allowed you to change the water level, but it was very restricted; think of the three switches in Aquatic Mine in Sonic Adventure 2, or how Mario can only change the water level in Wet-Dry World by the height from which he enters its painting before loading the level itself. Hydrophobia was the first-ever game to use dynamic, player-driven water physics; water from one map can flow into another, and every wave is randomly generated with no scripting. It also plays into combat, with entire fights happening underwater; Kate can even grab objects to use as floating cover. It's one of the few legitimately enjoyable parts of the original game.

While Prophecy is the official remake, Hydrophobia was remade...twice I guess? Well, 1.5 times. Four months after launch, it became clear to Dark Energy Digital they were losing the battle of public opinion, so they released a massive update to the XBLA version called Hydrophobia Pure. It retooled almost everything gameplay-related from the ground up, improved the framerate significantly, reduced the frequency of Scoot's advice, and added a few extra levels. The Hydrophobia Prophecy remake added even more content, recast Scoot, cleared up plot holes, gave the main villain more screen time, and added several more levels to the final act, including a proper ending.

How's this LP going to work?
I'll be doing a double LP, of sorts, along with my co-commentator pdPreciousRoy, in order to fully appreciate how much was changed. We will spend most of our time with the remake, Hydrophobia Prophecy, which significantly adds to, overhauls, and changes all the gameplay mechanics, while occasionally jumping back to the original, unpatched XBLA version of Hydrophobia to see how we got here.

I originally meant for this to be a 100% playthrough, but sadly this will not be the case. Several medals (the in-game achievements) frequently glitch out or contradict themselves, requiring multiple playthroughs. Additionally, one medal requires that you beat the game using only the starting ammo type for the standard pistol, and I want to show off all the ammo types to keep combat interesting.

Also, I was originally planning to collect all the world-building documents and objects, but as you'll see in Video 3, a glitch prevented me from doing so. While I recorded all my footage some I ago, I intend to go back and collect every document off-screen if I can, and I'll be posting all the documents I am able to collect (in the order one can obtain them) in the thread as we go.

What's the upload schedule?
I hope that I can upload every Saturday, with a concurrent post showing each of the journal entries and documents in the thread. If there's a significant delay, I will make a post about it in the thread, along with an estimated return time. Fingers crossed!

Kate Wilson

Voiced by: Lisa Heanley
The player-character. A bright, spunky young woman with a PhD in systems engineering from Oxford, Kate works as a high-level systems engineer aboard the Queen of the World. We don't know too much about her yet, but as we'll see, it's clear that she has some problems with water...perhaps linked to an event in her past?

Scoot McGraw

Voiced by: Naithan Ariane (XBLA), Oliver Vaquer (Prophecy)

The head systems engineer onboard the Queen of the World. When the ship is attacked, Scoot helps Kate to navigate her way through the sinking vessel, fight off the terrorists, and investigate what's really going on.

Scoot had his nationality, voice actor, and character model changed for the Prophecy remake, as many players and reviewers found Naithan Ariane's performance grating and annoying. Oliver Vaquer gives a fairly good performance in Prophecy, but if I'm being honest, I kind of prefer the original's goony charm.

Roderick Morton

Voiced by: Naithan Ariane
The head scientist at NanoCell. He is in charge of researching special technology that will purify the oceans, making them drinkable again, and solve the water shortage crisis that is plaguing the world in addition to the Global Population Flood. Said technology consists of nanobots that destroy oil and other impure substances in the water, but it is still in the prototype stage - it cannot tell that flesh and blood are not contaminants. The Malthusians want to use these early versions of the nanobots to wipe out 95% of the population, thus solving the crisis of the population flood.

The Queen of the World

As the global population grew to uncontrollable levels, the corporation NanoCell devised a solution: a massive cruise ship, the size of an entire city. She sails around the world, docking only for fuel stops, for all the world's wealthy to live in luxury while the overpopulated underclass die in squalor.

The crew of the Queen of the World are preparing for her 10th year at sea with the Party of the Century, set for September 29th, 2051.

NanoCell

One of the world's most powerful corporations. They are the architects of the Queen of the World, which has allowed the wealthy and brilliant to prosper during the worst years of the Global Population Flood. Not much else is known about them at this time, but that will change.

:siren:Spoilers for Video 2 below! These spoiler tags will be removed after the Video 3 update.:siren:

Mila Krass

Voiced by: Elizabeth Dunn

A cook onboard the Queen of the World. She is the secret leader of the Neo-Malthusians, and has been plotting this hijacking for years. In the original game, this revelation was a major late-game plot twist that comes out of nowhere, but in the remake, she gets more screentime that explains her backstory and motivations.

Commander Jake Garland
Voiced by: none

The head of security onboard the Queen of the World. He is responsible for the safety of everyone aboard, and has an impeccable reputation for keeping the reprobates and lower classes away.

Chief Chris Billingham

Voiced by: Darryl Webster

Commander Garland's second-in-command. He's known for being tough and no-nonsense when it comes to interrogating stragglers—but when push comes to shove, will he help those he was hired to protect, or save himself?

Cornucopians
One of two groups fighting to solve the Global Population Flood, the other being the Malthusians. They believe that through scientific advancement and the wonders of technology, the world's poisoned water can be purified, and food production can be sped up enough to feed everyone on the overpopulated earth. The Cornucopians are led by the Five Founding Fathers, five corporations that lead the charge in this research. The most recent company to enter the fold is NanoCell.

Malthusians
One of two groups fighting to solve the Global Population Flood, the other being the Cornucopians. They believe the solution to the Flood lies in controlling the global population (read: let the poor people die off). Not much is known about the Malthusians in the story proper, as the game is mostly concerned with a sub-group, the Neo-Malthusians (see below).

Neo-Malthusians
An extremist splinter cell of the Malthusians, the arch-enemy of the Cornucopians. They are the mysterious terrorists who have hijacked the Queen of the World. They believe that the solution to the Global Population Flood is global genocide, reducing the world's population from 10 billion to just 500 million people. Exactly how they intend to do this is left unclear in the Xbox Live Arcade version, but will be explained in the remake.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Excerpts from Malthus' An Essay on the Principle of Population as presented in-game (in-progress, more pages will be collected as we progress in the game):

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 24, 2019

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In our first video, Kate gets caught in the crossfire of some mysterious assailants and manages to avoid drowning, several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxx6W4gKeiI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xilVcp4Vt6A

Here are the journals and documents we collected this update:

Journals

Documents

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

To be fair, it is a bit hard to swallow that Kate is so easily shook when her idea to her predicament is to Prince of Persia her way to a hacking node.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh this should be interesting. I never sought out the original in any form, not even videos, only hearing about it from other people. Played the remake but I've always had a mild curiosity of how bad the first could have been. Guess I'll find out.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

Played the remake but I've always had a mild curiosity of how bad the first could have been. Guess I'll find out.

The original Hydrophobia is one of the worst games I've ever played, while Prophecy is a solid B-, C+ action title. Really, the fact that Dark Energy Digital managed to take a trash fire and remake it into a decent title in less than a year, while using basically the same framework and gameplay structure as the first game, is kind of a miracle.

In later videos, we'll be talking about all the drama that went on between Dark Energy Digital and the critics, because oh boy, is it juicy.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I tried playing this game awhile ago and for some reason, the water was bugging out visually and I thought this game would kill my video card.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

HardDiskD posted:

I tried playing this game awhile ago and for some reason, the water was bugging out visually and I thought this game would kill my video card.

Huh, that's weird. Do you remember what video card you were using?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kibayasu posted:

Oh this should be interesting. I never sought out the original in any form, not even videos, only hearing about it from other people. Played the remake but I've always had a mild curiosity of how bad the first could have been. Guess I'll find out.

:same:

I played Prophecy, having heard nothing about it or the original, and thought it was pretty decent. Then later I heard people talking about how terrible it was and basically thought they were overreacting until I learned that there was an earlier version that was significantly different from the one I played and that's the one they were talking about.

I'm particularly interested to see the original ending since I wasn't that impressed by the later stages of the remake, so for the original to be that much worse means it must be a sight to see.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

theenglishman posted:

Huh, that's weird. Do you remember what video card you were using?

I'm almost certain it was a Geforce GTX 560, or something like that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm surprised you didn't make a comparison to Half-Life, which is what jumped out at me from this first episode. You're playing as a nobody, a very smart and athletic nobody, but probably not someone who's ever held a gun before, and it's just another day at work when everything goes to hell.

Game looks surprisingly promising so far.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't have an Xbox and obviously without playing it I can't really know but for an XBLA game the original seems okay? I guess? All I've ever really seen of XBLA is the typical "Look at this terrible game!" videos so I guess my sample size is skewed. I suppose it really was the uh, reaction, to the criticism that really got this game on everybody's radar.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I didn't have an Xbox and obviously without playing it I can't really know but for an XBLA game the original seems okay? I guess? All I've ever really seen of XBLA is the typical "Look at this terrible game!" videos so I guess my sample size is skewed. I suppose it really was the uh, reaction, to the criticism that really got this game on everybody's radar.

Don’t worry - once we get to Video 2 and especially Video 3, the real ugly side of the XBLA version’s gameplay will be revealed.

By the way, I just wanted to give a huge thank-you to everyone who’s replied to the thread so far. I was really nervous starting my first thread on such an obscure game, and the response so far has been better than I could have imagined. Thank you all! :D

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 16, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ah yes... THIS game. I wanted so hard to like this game, and I was one of the rare individuals who played all the way through the original. It had so much potential. Never played any of the remakes.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I enjoy the comparison aspect of the LP. Would you consider putting an info text in the videos saying which version is playing? It can be easy to miss at times.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

klafbang posted:

I enjoy the comparison aspect of the LP. Would you consider putting an info text in the videos saying which version is playing? It can be easy to miss at times.

Okay. I've already finished rendering Video 2, but I can start putting in a watermark (Xbox/Steam) in the corner or something starting with Video 3, if that would help.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

theenglishman posted:

Okay. I've already finished rendering Video 2, but I can start putting in a watermark (Xbox/Steam) in the corner or something starting with Video 3, if that would help.

Great, thanks!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

theenglishman posted:

I would also appreciate that, because I did lose track a couple of times in the first video. :-)

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Based on feedback from the thread, starting with Video 3 I will begin using watermarks whenever I switch between the PC and XBLA versions. These watermarks will stay for 15-20 seconds before fading away, so they won't be too intrusive.

The design of these watermarks are mostly finalized, but of course I'd like your feedback.

(These test screenshots are from the first video, so don't worry, there's no spoilers!)

azren
Feb 14, 2011

theenglishman posted:

Based on feedback from the thread, starting with Video 3 I will begin using watermarks whenever I switch between the PC and XBLA versions. These watermarks will stay for 15-20 seconds before fading away, so they won't be too intrusive.

The design of these watermarks are mostly finalized, but of course I'd like your feedback.

(These test screenshots are from the first video, so don't worry, there's no spoilers!)

Looks good to me!

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Yeah that'll be perfect, and I know I'll really appreciate it

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I'm surprised you didn't make a comparison to Half-Life, which is what jumped out at me from this first episode. You're playing as a nobody, a very smart and athletic nobody, but probably not someone who's ever held a gun before, and it's just another day at work when everything goes to hell.

Freeman had firearms training. I remember it from the training course in the first game.

Granted, it's still silly that he survived everything he did.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

In this week's video, we wrap up Act 1 by learning a bit more about the mysterious assailants, and Kate finally gets a weapon. Make sure to watch this to the end to hear a dramatic reading of some amazing world-building! (NOTE: may not actually be that amazing)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Bqvv4EhYE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6YVB5mf4ZQ

Documents (and decoded cipher instructions)

Journals

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
It's pretty neat that the terrorists are based on a real philosophy.

It is also quite neat - maybe a coincidence - that they want to go starting murdering at 9.8 B people. The carrying capacity of the Earth is currently estimated at roughly 10 B people, but that is expected to increase. Around 1900 the carrying capacity was estimated at 1 B people but was increased by improved agriculture, and it is expected to increase again primarily due to less meat consumption (due to artificial meat, more vegetarian diets and eating new things like insects). I can totally see the people going on a perpetual cruise because the world sucks being part of the problem and extremists putting 9.8 B and 0.3 B together and getting more than 10 B.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

klafbang posted:

It's pretty neat that the terrorists are based on a real philosophy.

It's not made clear in the game because the worldbuilding is very incomplete and fragmented, but Mila's gang is an extremist splinter cell from the regular Malthusians. We'll learn later exactly how their plan works (it's dumb).

For me, a bigger issue is that we will never learn what a normal, everyday Malthusian actually thinks. We know from the backstory on the old website that Malthusians are interested in population control and distributing the current food supply evenly among the world's populace, but it's never established what Malthusian Joe Blow considers acceptable and what he thinks is crossing the line, and why these extremists are meant to be different from him. Would a normal Malthusian in the world of Hydrophobia accept murder? If so, would he condone it on the scale the Neo-Malthusians are attempting? It's never addressed.

Same goes for the Cornucopians. The only Founding Father corporation that's mentioned by name is NanoCell, and some of the documents seem to imply that NanoCell is the new kid on the block that only gets respect because they provided the funding for the Queen of the World, as well as one other bit of technology we'll learn about later. We learn nothing about the other corporations that have been leading all the scientific advancements until now.

This is actually a significant problem with the game's worldbuilding as a whole: a lot of background information is outright missing. I can't tell how much of the world-building was genuinely incomplete, and how much was being withheld for a sequel that was never made.

In later videos we'll see some of the story that was added in Prophecy that was obviously meant for an unmade sequel, but even then, there's still really basic questions about how the universe of Hydrophobia works that never get addressed in either version, which in my opinion should have been tackled on Day 1 when writing the production bible.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

theenglishman posted:

For me, a bigger issue is that we will never learn what a normal, everyday Malthusian actually thinks. Same goes for the Cornucopians.

It seems pretty easy to work out from their ideologies, IMO. The everyday Malthusian wants to reduce the population, probably via access to education and contraception at the least extreme end and going up through legal restrictions on procreation, forced abortion and sterilisation, and all the way up to the outright genocide proposed by the extremists. The average Cornucopians probably don't have a problem with voluntary contraception but believe that anything beyond that is unnecessary and therefore unethical because advances in science and technology can be relied upon to solve any remaining problem. The extremists are probably more likely to be religious fundamentalists or technological utopians and have blind faith in either as-yet unknown advances solving everything or the world ending or being saved by supernatural means.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Someone gave this to me on steam. I think because they hate me and made me stream it. I remember it being bad. real bad. except for one line that i loved from support radio guy. "Look lady, I've only got two balls and neither of them are crystal. I don't know."

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tiggum posted:

It seems pretty easy to work out from their ideologies, IMO. (etc.)

Wow, I never thought of it that way. That's actually really insightful!

Though as we'll be seeing later, there is still a lot of critical missing information, especially once it's revealed exactly how the neo-Malthusians are going to execute their plan.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You don't have to travel into the future and live on a city-boat to know what an average Malthusian thinks, just bring up population control with any group of actual people today. "We definitely need to reduce the population. Not me though. Or anyone I know. Or anyone that might impact my life or the lives of people I know. All those other people far away, they need to be controlled."

Anyways looking at this now as impressive as the water physics are you can still see how early it is. How the water reacts in the open looks really good but it flowing through an open doorway and pushing up against the opposite wall has it behaving more like a gel than a liquid. Though I don't mean to slight anybody by saying that, early stuff will always have something, and when you're just watching things move in a a calmer, more rolling manner it looks just like it should.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kibayasu posted:

You don't have to travel into the future and live on a city-boat to know what an average Malthusian thinks, just bring up population control with any group of actual people today. "We definitely need to reduce the population. Not me though. Or anyone I know. Or anyone that might impact my life or the lives of people I know. All those other people far away, they need to be controlled."

And, for that matter, there's just recently been a couple of blockbuster movies with a villain whose plan is to solve an overpopulation crisis by killing half of all living things.

It's one of those technocratic positions where there actually is kind of a legitimate point somewhere deep inside, but it has never and will never be manifested or applied in a reasonable, unbiased way.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

How the water reacts in the open looks really good but it flowing through an open doorway and pushing up against the opposite wall has it behaving more like a gel than a liquid.

Seeing how this was literally the first game to ever try this type of water tech, some of the issues are understandable.

Here's another interesting thing about Hydrophobia's water tech. In addition to the unscripted fluid rendering, the dedicated HydroEngine water simulator can interface with Havok to make objects flow on top of or through water dynamically; from what I understand, in previous games such a sequence would have to be scripted. DED also had an internal GCS called InfiniteWorlds which it used for Hydrophobia and their last snooker game (WSC Real 11).

I have a suspicion, though I can't confirm this, that around 2010-11 Dark Energy Digital were looking to market HydroEngine as a third-party engine; maybe they thought they could sell it as the Havok of water. I'm guessing most developers just didn't want to deal with the hassle of testing levels with such unruly waves and would rather rely on scripting.

In 2012 DED officially went bankrupt and was put in administrative control, and they were trying to sell both the Hydrophobia IP and the HydroEngine though not, strangely, InfiniteWorlds. I could not determine if they were successful.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I also found this old trailer from E3 2008. I've found evidence that Dark Energy were hyping up their mysterious new water engine as early as 2007, but this is the earliest footage I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na3YP-uEnbc

As you can see, the original version had a much darker, survival horror-esque vibe to it, compared to the Poseidon Adventure-meets-Die Hard atmosphere of the final release. I think this may have been an investor-targeted vertical slice which was then re-purposed into a teaser, as Kate is nowhere to be found and the trailer focuses entirely on the Queen of the World and the water effects.

I also found what appears to be a press release from 2008. Unfortunately, it contains SPOILERS, so I have redacted the parts that spoil things we haven't seen yet. You'll notice, however, that some of the material differs quite substantially from what we've seen so far, including expanding on lore that is never explained in either version of the game and some story differences (most notably having a different leader of the Neo-Malthusians who, honestly, would have made for a pretty funny edgelord villain if he was in the final game):

Dark Energy Digital posted:

Meet Kate Wilson, systems engineer. Kate is a reluctant hero who finds herself caught behind enemy lines when terrorists seize the Queen of the World, a new city-sized super ship.

Hydrophobia is set onboard the Queen of the World; which is the largest ship ever built. It is comprised of two massive hulls each several times longer than the biggest contemporary cruise ships. The area between the hulls resembles a city - it has schools, universities, even a football stadium.
The ship is in truth the reclusive preserve of the super rich. Here the most modest condo starts at $250m and the most expensive in the billions. It is a mini state. A state with no taxes (the ship never ventures into territorial waters) and no legislative controls. As such it has attracted businesses that want to keep their activities away from prying eyes.

One such business is a company called NanoCell - a nano robotics engineering company. In most countries nano technology is closely regulated, but on the 'Queen' no one asks any questions. CENSORED FOR SPOILERS

One of the tenants of Hydrophobia's design is that it is 'credible'. This means that the bad guys; the terrorists must be credible too. So we have terrorists that have a real world ideology.

Enter the Neo-Malthusians. They base their ideology on the writings of one Thomas Malthus, a 19th century political economist. Malthus believed that the population of the world would grow faster than its ability to feed itself, and the Neo-Malthusians have embellished this simple belief and are of the opinion that all attempts to artificially increase food production merely forestalls the big population crash.
In short they are advocates of a smaller global population. Much smaller. They believe that around half a billion is a sustainable figure rather than the 12 billion that exists at the time the game is set (about 16 years in the future). Radical stuff. As such they see the Queen of the World as an affront to their sensitivities and NanoCell an abomination that must be destroyed at all costs.

The organisation is headed by one Alex Morales, who has used the internet as a recruiting tool. The Malthusians have set about infiltrating the Queen since its inception. In truth not all their recruits are avid idealists - many see the capture of the Queen as their fast track to self engrandisment.

So back to our lead character. Kate is very much a multidimensional character. By trade she is an engineer - a systems engineer and on the Queen she is part of the security detail. Kate is a deep and intelligent character, but she has a problem.

CENSORED FOR SPOILERS Kate is a fighter and has joined the Queen of the World to confront her fears. Not knowing how apocryphal that sentiment would turn out to be.

The terrorist attack takes place on the occasion of the first anniversary of the Queen of the World. It has been a great year. The ship is a huge commercial success, most condos are sold and the venture is above target. The ship is in the Indian Ocean and a huge party has been organised in the main football stadium to commemorate the event.

The formal section of the party is in full swing and the speeches are about to take place. First up is Jake Gartland. Jake is head of security for the Queen and is about to take the podium when a message is given to him. There is a vessel on collision course and it's not responding to hails.

Sorry if it ends rather abruptly. I assume the quote goes on for a bit longer, but this is all I've been able to find. If I can find the rest of it, I'll let you know.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time for some combat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6L7v2uiddA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-2PFmoy3Uo

I haven't had time yet to gather the journals and documents for this video, but I will update this post as soon as I can. Thank you for your patience.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The different ammo types were one thing in this game that I just didn't get at all. Like, I tried them out but then just switched back to sonic because it was easier than bothering with the others. Was there actually any clear advantage to switching?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Tiggum posted:

The different ammo types were one thing in this game that I just didn't get at all. Like, I tried them out but then just switched back to sonic because it was easier than bothering with the others. Was there actually any clear advantage to switching?

The secondary ammo is useful if you're just focused on taking guys out normally and don't want to chain stuff together for point bonuses. There's one ammo type in the endgame that's basically the go-to "shoot guys dead" ammo in any situation.

The other ammo types are a little gimmicky but useful in certain situations. I'll be showing those off later.

The Sonic Rounds were definitely designed to be the all-round weapon, though, and it may have been a bit too successful. There's even an achievement for beating the entire game using only the Sonic Rounds. The main disadvantage to the Sonic Rounds is that getting a one-shot lethal kill requires charging up the LP4 and getting a headshot, and the Malthusians tend to sway a lot, making headshot somewhat difficult. On Normal and above, a fully charged body shot will knock them down, and sometimes they'll drown depending on the water level, but it's not a guarantee.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 27, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is saying something but I think the points system is one of the strangest parts of this game. Leaderboards were loving everywhere around 2010 so obviously this game needed one too but very little about how the game plays supports it. You get points for just blowing up some random barrel for no reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is it weird that the game looks actually kind of good so far in the Prophecy version? I'm a weirdo who loves water levels in games, subject to how good their controls are, and this seems like a perfectly serviceable third-person shooter/adventure game so far. Kate also seems like a pretty decent female video game protagonist, she's not sexualized and her character is not obsessed with past trauma.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Is it weird that the game looks actually kind of good so far in the Prophecy version?

I liked it when I played it. :shrug:

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

UPDATE! Real life is getting in the way, as it likes to do, and this LP will be on hold for one, possibly two weeks. Hopefully less!

Do not despair, however, as I will try to check in with the thread as often as I can, and will try to build up a backlog in the meantime. As I believe I've mentioned in the past, all my footage has already been recorded, it's just the matter of editing and recording commentary with pdPreciousRoy, which is taking up a considerable amount of time.

Thank you everyone for being patient! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i've actually been meaning to replay this when i can afford to buy a non-poo poo computer, cause i really liked the water tech (even if it's not perfect). i can't really think of any other game that uses water for more than set dressing or a hazard, actually