Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Oh this should be interesting. I never sought out the original in any form, not even videos, only hearing about it from other people. Played the remake but I've always had a mild curiosity of how bad the first could have been. Guess I'll find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't have an Xbox and obviously without playing it I can't really know but for an XBLA game the original seems okay? I guess? All I've ever really seen of XBLA is the typical "Look at this terrible game!" videos so I guess my sample size is skewed. I suppose it really was the uh, reaction, to the criticism that really got this game on everybody's radar.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You don't have to travel into the future and live on a city-boat to know what an average Malthusian thinks, just bring up population control with any group of actual people today. "We definitely need to reduce the population. Not me though. Or anyone I know. Or anyone that might impact my life or the lives of people I know. All those other people far away, they need to be controlled."

Anyways looking at this now as impressive as the water physics are you can still see how early it is. How the water reacts in the open looks really good but it flowing through an open doorway and pushing up against the opposite wall has it behaving more like a gel than a liquid. Though I don't mean to slight anybody by saying that, early stuff will always have something, and when you're just watching things move in a a calmer, more rolling manner it looks just like it should.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This is saying something but I think the points system is one of the strangest parts of this game. Leaderboards were loving everywhere around 2010 so obviously this game needed one too but very little about how the game plays supports it. You get points for just blowing up some random barrel for no reason.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I very much doubt it was anybody's first choice but it is pretty funny that the big cliffhanger for the original release is "But what happened to Scoot?"

My brain must have inserted a lot more gameplay between getting water magic and the final boss because even with the added section that's still pretty abrupt. I remember the ship giving way to clean white labs but before today I could have sworn there was at least most of a proper level before the boss.

Still, like you say, the game at the very least could be a case study of so much of game development. Independent studios trying to make it on their own, developing impressive technology that may not actually be needed or wanted, relationship to industry critics, responding to and implementing feedback. A middling game was the result but there's a story in the background somewhere.