Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If a hotel says "We have internet access for customers", that is so
vague that it cannot be relied on. So please find out exactly what
they have and exactly what it will do. If they have an ethernet, do
they have a firewall? Does it permit SSH connections? What
parameters does the user need to specify in order to talk with it?

Please check those things directly, or ask the people who actually run
the network. If you talk with someone who doesn't understand what
"SSH connection" means, or if he doesn't understand the difference
between "Internet" and "web browsing", that person is not competent to
give reliable information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Keep going...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Gazpacho posted:

I mean, I really really do wish places would note if they offered ethernet or just lovely wifi?

:shrug:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Coffee Jones posted:

There's two thousand posts on Orange Site arguing over how RMS's comments weren't beyond the pale and don't justify his dismissal, but anybody in RMS's position has a duty to his organization, duty to his backers, a duty to his mission. It's not cut and dried and a lot of it subject to the politics of the organization.
Nicholas Negroponte was embarrassed, Joichi Ito resigned, Minsky's memory was tarnished. And RMS, overstaying his welcome by a decade, just blundered straight into that minefield like this was a tiff between emacs maintainers.

It's like no one commenting on HN has been ANYWHERE

yeah, tit’s definitely true that this is typical behavior for rms (even understandable in a way — from anyone else, we might just say he was stretching to try to defend an old friend’s memory; i think lessig has been doing some of the same) that came out in a particularly bad time when the lab was desperately concerned about its reputation

it’s also true that some of the people at the lab who’ve specifically been covering for rms are gone now

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rotor posted:

just popping in to remind everyone that while yes rms is awful esr is one billion times worse

the thing is that we can’t cancel esr because he literally has no position or status to cancel him from. he’s just a dude with a blog who’s made some widely-ignored forks of other projects

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Father Jack posted:

it's often been a lot more than abrasive though, it's been outright abuse and telling people to kill themselves.

i'm not sure that being a total dickhead to everyone, including women, because of poor social skills or ego is any better than specifically targeting them because of a sexist attitude.

so being prejudiced or hateful towards a particular class of people is no worse than just being a jerk overall?

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Coffee Jones posted:

... anybody in RMS's position has a duty to his organization, duty to his backers, a duty to his mission. It's not cut and dried and a lot of it subject to the politics of the organization.
Nicholas Negroponte was embarrassed, Joichi Ito resigned, Minsky's memory was tarnished. And RMS, overstaying his welcome by a decade, just blundered straight into that minefield like this was a tiff between emacs maintainers.

Goddamn that’s a good summary of the situation.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

so being prejudiced or hateful towards a particular class of people is no worse than just being a jerk overall?

if the behaviour towards a given person is the same, i'm honestly not sure.

if you're a woman who feels they can't be part of a project anymore because you've been bullied and abused, do you feel any better because some men have had the same experience?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

What you quoted was “being a general dick is maybe better, but possibly not, than being a bigot”, hth

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

i get the impulse towards 'oh, well, at least they didn't do it because they're racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic', but i'm just not sure that being a poo poo to everyone for bad reasons is better than being a poo poo to a specific set of people for bad reasons

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
being a general jerk has, historically, been much more likely to have consequences

but when the person is insulated from those consequences then hoo boy

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i think that to address the question of "just a jerk vs. picking on a minority" properly would require laying a lot of historical and sociological and philosophical groundwork until we all agreed on what we are even talking about, and thus it is perhaps beyond the scope of an "eww rms" thread on the funy computer forum

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
why if I have good reasons for being a dick?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 18, 2019

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

The Management posted:

Try not to be a dick.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
A looming billboard along the highway: “You’re cancelled — God”

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
imagine if we collectively spent as much time trying to make healthy workplaces/groups/spaces/whatever as we do trying to actively apologize for and excuse away lovely behavior

the relative priorities of people on e.g. orange site and/or the nerd community in general is laughably out of touch with anything that matters, and it's sad

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Gazpacho posted:

this was legit a major issue for a long time. these days the norm is for hotel wifi to be slow but otherwise functional, but for a long time it wasn't even a given that you'd be able to use https

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Gazpacho posted:

A looming billboard along the highway: “You’re cancelled — God”

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

is this real

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lain Iwakura posted:

is this real

it is one of the foundational beliefs of conservative boomerism

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i think that to address the question of "just a jerk vs. picking on a minority" properly would require laying a lot of historical and sociological and philosophical groundwork until we all agreed on what we are even talking about, and thus it is perhaps beyond the scope of an "eww rms" thread on the funy computer forum

perhaps.

but i will maintain my original point that torvalds was not just 'abrasive' but habitually and unapologetically abusive to a ridiculous degree. he got away with it for a long time because people buy into this idea that if you have a degree of fame or achievement social norms don't apply to you, and you can treat your subordinants as you please

The Management posted:

are you posting this to mock torvalds, rms, or jobs?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it is one of the foundational beliefs of conservative boomerism

https://twitter.com/paulg/status/1173907189234327553?s=21

welp

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
imagine all the jobs we could free up if we actually canceled every dumbass boomer

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

psiox posted:

imagine all the jobs we could free up if we actually canceled every dumbass boomer

Bring back mandatory retirement at 70, imo?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, I really really do wish places would note if they offered ethernet or just lovely wifi?

:shrug:

this is a legitimate concern and ive been in hotels that had ethernet listed on their site (had) and were quite proud to say it was disconnected because they use wifi now

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

lol techbarons finally reveal theyre against cancel culture because its a fly in their eternal life fantasy soup

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Bring back mandatory retirement at 70, imo?

with mandatory retirement at 65 stallman would have been out last year

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fritz posted:

with mandatory retirement at 65 stallman would have been out last year

I guess the real problem is sort of the 30 years of behavior prior to that, though?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Hexyflexy posted:

Just BSD it, nobody cares, it's just there, some kid might find it interesting. And do something cool. Or not.

just give your work away and devalue the labor of all the other programmers

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

rotor posted:

Let's see - being as all the interesting stuff I learned from was put out there the same way, I'm going to go with, you are wrong.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

if it's a new PL/base framework that catches on you can even help companies chuck a whole age bracket onto the streets!

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

rotor posted:

i'm pretty interested in this angle and the argument makes total sense, especially in our non-luxury hetero terrestrial hellcapitalist society

especially considering wage stagnation

ugh is this what people meant when they talked about getting older and more conservative?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Hexyflexy posted:

Let's see - being as all the interesting stuff I learned from was put out there the same way, I'm going to go with, you are wrong.

giving away free software to startups is cool. It's great that the only thing worth money in 2019 is user data. I'm not mad at all that open source has driven the value of software to zero, I'm actually laughing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i think it's cool that the value of software has risen from being a net loss to being $0

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Endless Mike posted:

i think it's cool that the value of software has risen from being a net loss to being $0

you realize that in no way improves compensation, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

rotor posted:

giving away free software to startups is cool. It's great that the only thing worth money in 2019 is user data. I'm not mad at all that open source has driven the value of software to zero, I'm actually laughing.

this is why the agpl is so good

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

rotor posted:

It's cool, let's just monetise all science and maths. The knowledge of how to use software is worth loads, just, yanno, don't write javascript. That is worthless.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
as an aside, I am legit upset about all the "well akshully" and "citation needed" responses in defense of Stallman, but also feel like I can't rant to tech friends I know because I worry that ill get the same from them. I dont think that says good things about myself or my complicity in the current tech culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

none of my tech friends so far have defended rms