Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my mac pro will live a lonely, strange life. jammed in a tiny dark corner, far away from the world, sequestered on an empty subnet, its only interaction with the world being the cables that come out of it and being remoted into by a like 2014 macbook air and my $120 chromebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
occasionally it will reach out to the outside and speak to its only friend, a unifi managed gigibit switch, looking for companionship, and its cries will be answered with deafening silence.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
it's even funnier coming on the heels of Ryzen 3 stuff, where you can buy their flagship processor that supports ECC out of the box and kicks the poo poo out of almost the entire Xeon line for a tiny fraction of the price BEFORE you even break into the actual server chips

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

imagine not having ECC ityool2019

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Fabricated posted:

it's even funnier coming on the heels of Ryzen 3 stuff, where you can buy their flagship processor that supports ECC out of the box and kicks the poo poo out of almost the entire Xeon line for a tiny fraction of the price BEFORE you even break into the actual server chips

dont amd computer chips make your computer crash a lot

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Sniep posted:

dont amd computer chips make your computer crash a lot

apparently theyre good now ?????? which owns.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
idk what processor or anything is insidew the New Mac Pro.................

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they mean zen 2 is good (which it is)

but they were released in july. wwdc was in june. mac pro has been in development prior to that. please stfu

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wow i cant believe everyone hasnt integrated these awesome ryzen cpus that came out a month ago into all their workstation offerings

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if you care what processor you have, you aren’t the target market for the mac pro, or indeed any apple product

(ok I guess caring greatly about the quality of the cpu in your phone would be a valid reason to avoid most androids, but how many iphone users know any more than “number after a go up mean good”)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Soricidus posted:

if you care what processor you have, you arent the target market for the mac pro, or indeed any apple product

(ok I guess caring greatly about the quality of the cpu in your phone would be a valid reason to avoid most androids, but how many iphone users know any more than number after a go up mean good)

normal ppl dont give a poo poo about their phone procesor myself included, OP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i think u should care about the components inside a workstation tho, OP. just my 2c

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
that is exactly what I do, thank you

posted from my creaking old iphone 7, not my 48 core/128gb ram workstation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Smythe posted:

apparently theyre good now ?????? which owns.

this is what amd says every time and every time its a lie

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

i want to believe bro. im was a thunderbird man

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got a ubiquiti edgerouter x and it seems p nice.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there’s no way they have amd chips in the Mac Pro but if they were going to, they would have been working with early silicon samples for the last year. it’s not like they wait until AMD (or Intel) releases a chip before they work on integrating it.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Shaggar posted:

they have thermal issues and :pcgaming: types are upset that they don’t overclock well, but in actual use they seem to comfortably compete with anything intel is selling in the same price range while consuming less power, which is as good a definition of “good” as any

I’m sure it’s just a matter of time before they turn out to catch fire after 6 months or something tho because it’s 2019 and nice things aren’t allowed to exist any more

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

what's the one that catches fire a lot and comes preloaded with illegal software

ali expeess migh have what you’re into

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i'll just pick up a couple of the stands for my book shelf

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i'll get the one with wheels and speed holes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tim release a new iMac Pro. I have money that needs burning

pram
Jun 10, 2001
wheels are p epic

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'll get the one with wheels and speed holes

someone should have responded with "ur mom has wheels and speed holes lol" i am disappointed in ALL of you right now

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Cold on a Cob posted:

someone should have responded with "ur mom has wheels and speed holes lol" i am disappointed in ALL of you right now

ur mom is disappointed in only you right now

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

oh ho ho PCIe 3.1? when the rest of the world is cutting their teeth with 4.0?

granted we aren't getting 8k monitors for a while but talk about outdated before it gets released (see: video options that never changed with the old trash can)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
'rest of the world' apparently equals 'a couple people with amd systems' these days

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I wonder if the intel price cuts will lead to cheaper macs.

lol

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

pram posted:

'rest of the world' apparently equals 'a couple people with amd systems' these days

gee almost every AMD motherboard I saw at micro center above $300 had PCIe 4.0, even if it was only 2 slots

how is that so hard crapple?

maybe they should just buy MSI GODLIKE mbs and shove them into the cheesegrater

lol 'GODlike'

edit: can't wait for someone to buy one of those Pro monitors and turn their cubicle into an EZ-Bake oven

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just bought a new mobo and it has pcie 4.0 :q:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
pcie4 is very fast o_0

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dont know what my MoBo has on it but it is suiting my needs just fine

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
does intel have pcie4 chips yet?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

gee almost every AMD motherboard I saw at micro center above $300 had PCIe 4.0, even if it was only 2 slots

how is that so hard crapple?

maybe they should just buy MSI GODLIKE mbs and shove them into the cheesegrater

lol 'GODlike'

edit: can't wait for someone to buy one of those Pro monitors and turn their cubicle into an EZ-Bake oven

intel does not have pcie 4.0

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
might be pretty hard for Apple to support pcie4 if their chip vendor literally does not make chips that can do it. also every other workstation vendor using intel chips

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

all of them op every single fuckin one

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I once owned a Mac Pro op. I bought it on eBay for £400 or something and it was dented to gently caress and I emailed the seller and he sent me £200 immediately. good deal imo. I hosed about with custom firmwares or kexts or some poo poo to get a radeon working in it

my phone suggests this icon when I type Mac: 💻 or this 🖥. conspiracy???

that’s my post about Mac pros. doing my bit to keep this dead gay forum alive :tipshat:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

telling very mundane stories is a pretty weird posting gimmick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

carry on then posted:

lmao everyone expected they'd finally make the xmac