Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

the necromancer strikes again :skeltal:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

is everyone happy with their macs?

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i want to buy the rackintosh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNrG2mwt4Uo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nice hat and steampunk apartment you got there

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

no, don't buy one - they're still trash

mac pros cost as much money as a car, and everything other mac product is still hot garbage

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

just remember to pay the extra $400 (lol) for the wheels so you can drive your mac pro to work

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Just in case we forget that mac pros are idiot computers for stupid people, a maxed out mac pro costs $53,948.00 USD american yankee dollars

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
and that's with the optional wheel addon, of course. Still no screen though, that costs extra.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Poopernickel posted:

Just in case we forget that mac pros are idiot computers for stupid people, a maxed out mac pro costs $53,948.00 USD american yankee dollars

wow hot take fresh out the oven here

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

big growth industry in “wow the mac pro is more expensive than my gam3r pc”

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Poopernickel posted:

Just in case we forget that dell precisions are idiot computers for stupid people, a maxed out dell precision costs $116,952.35 USD american yankee dollars

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Try HPE, I think they can easily beat that.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

pram posted:

intel does not have pcie 4.0

maybe apple should partner with IBM and release a personal computer based on the POWER architecture? :v: you could buy those with pcie 4 a full year before amd released pcie 4 chips. (btw, you can get nearly 2x the cores and 4x the threads on a fully-loaded talos 2 POWER workation compared to the top-end Mac Pro. oh, and it supports nvidia GPUs and CUDA as well, unlike the Mac Pro)

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 2, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr.Radar posted:

maybe apple should partner with IBM and release a personal computer based on the POWER architecture? :v: you could buy those with pcie 4 a full year before amd released pcie 4 chips. (btw, you can get nearly 2x the cores and 4x the threads on a fully-loaded talos 2 POWER workation compared to the top-end Mac Pro. oh, and it supports nvidia GPUs and CUDA as well, unlike the Mac Pro)

lmbo at this

pram
Jun 10, 2001
power does what inteldont

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

BONGHITZ posted:

they haven't released an update for numbers yet that can fully take advantage of the professional computing so i'm pretty disappointed imo

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

skipping around in this lmao wtf

i can't take a bit of this half diy $20k new mac pros video seriously tho in large part due to his fashion choices

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

like he better be a top paid best in the biz freelancer to drop that much money to make pro tools faster or whatever???

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im the hat

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
are there pcie 4.0 cards out yet

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this thread is about hats

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

are there pcie 4.0 cards out yet

lots

mostly NICs and nvme devices

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol that apple released a mac pro with an old chip, an old chipset, and crap GPUs in a proprietary format, to replace the fabulously successful trashcan mac, which had an old chip, and old chipset, and crap GPUs in a proprietary format

they learn nothing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
another data point in favor of my contention that markets don't work

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

lol that apple released a mac pro with an old chip, an old chipset, and crap GPUs in a proprietary format, to replace the fabulously successful trashcan mac, which had an old chip, and old chipset, and crap GPUs in a proprietary format

they learn nothing

in what sense is the xeon w-32xx family and associated chipset "old", it's literally the newest workstation cpu intel makes

and in what sense is the new proprietary gpu equivalent to the old, given that the old was not remotely compliant with the pcie card electromechanical spec while the new is a superset of it

that is quite meaningful, since you can replace the apple proprietary gpu with any standard pcie card, and the new machine has a ton of slots open (unlike the old, where you're limited to a maximum of 2 of the fully proprietary low-power gpus)

there's stuff to quibble with about the new mac pro, but claiming they are doing things they aren't and have therefore learned nothing is p dumb

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

in what sense is the xeon w-32xx family and associated chipset "old", it's literally the newest workstation cpu intel makes

it’s a warmed-over rehash of sky lake hcc from 2015

same speeds and feeds, but a nice fresh model number!

BobHoward posted:

and in what sense is the new proprietary gpu equivalent to the old, given that the old was not remotely compliant with the pcie card electromechanical spec while the new is a superset of it

that is quite meaningful, since you can replace the apple proprietary gpu with any standard pcie card, and the new machine has a ton of slots open (unlike the old, where you're limited to a maximum of 2 of the fully proprietary low-power gpus)

you still don’t have any choice in gpu vendor. Radeon is the only game in town, because apple likes it that way

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

skipping around in this lmao wtf

i can't take a bit of this half diy $20k new mac pros video seriously tho in large part due to his fashion choices

he even has scrub tier memes framed on his wall. I bet he has rich parents lol

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

akadajet posted:

he even has scrub tier memes framed on his wall. I bet he has rich parents lol

"I'm self made!!" he screams after never having to have paid for his living expenses

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

BobHoward posted:

lga3647 is all 14nm+ which is like 4 nodes behind their consumer stuff. the best w-32xx available today is basically a three year old part and there aren't gonna be any new processors on that platform in the future

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Now that the case design is reasonable again I'm sure they'll update the motherboard every couple of years like they did with the old cheesegraters.

Not that it matters for any of us.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the talent deficit posted:

lga3647 is all 14nm+ which is like 4 nodes behind their consumer stuff. the best w-32xx available today is basically a three year old part and there aren't gonna be any new processors on that platform in the future

has intel shipped any 10nm stuff in volume yet

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

if apple wasn't run by the coward tim the new billion dollar mac pro might have a 128 thread ryzen and an nvidia graphics option

but this is 2020 so nope

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all these matters remaining largely academic unless apple actually commits to the effort. e.g. offering (and/or supporting the offering of) relevant pro applications, and having a timetable for hardware and software updates.

as far as hardware goes i think the imac pro was plenty to renew such efforts in all kinds of areas. however, they have rather demonstrated that they don't care that much, and are very happy to leave enterprise customers hanging with outdated hardware, or by killing off (or fatally changing) software. no higher-end/fancier hardware boondoggle is really going to fix that.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

numbers pro, pages pro, and keynote pro

releasing in 2025!

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

high end apple stuff is utterly performative and they're gonna need to actually support the newest macs pro to prove otherwise

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the talent deficit posted:

have you not been paying attention to the way intel does workstation / server cpus? they're always trailing consumer (and the handful of xeons which are just rebadged consumer w/ ecc enabled) in this way. the delay from tapeout date to product availability is simply much shorter on the consumer side, they're doing much less stringent validation and it's a profoundly easier job in a lot of cases (multi socket support is a nightmare to test)

it's weird to complain about a big high core count capable machine using the literal best intel cpu option available, the only legit angle to critique from is that maybe apple should have selected amd this time around

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
Reminder that you can buy two brand spankin' new toyota corollas for the price of a decked out mac pro

or one corolla and a better computer from somebody else

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
And when you buy a mac pro, you get a ~PrOfeSsIoNaL~ computer that you can use to signal that you are a ~CrEaTiVe Professional~,

features you can enjoy:
- wrecking your IT budget
- an OS that gets worse with every release
- backwards compatibility? Lol not if you're using xcode or any developer tools
- software that you can also get on the PC, except for maybe xcode
- paying $400 for wheels to put on your computer
- depending on macports or homebew for literally anything productive as a swdev
- "think different"

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
switching to AMD is a lot of work, and they would have had to start it before it was obvious that intel was going to gently caress up their entire product line. at this point this is just more motivation to abandon intel for arm.