Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
i'm not mad about the price because i don't want one. its just apple scamming people's business expense accounts. anyone who buys one as an individual is insane

i like the gpu heatsink solution because its something i'd thought someone should do 10 years ago. it'll be interesting to see if third parties make coolers like this to fit on other cards. probably not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

have you not been paying attention to the way intel does workstation / server cpus? they're always trailing consumer (and the handful of xeons which are just rebadged consumer w/ ecc enabled) in this way. the delay from tapeout date to product availability is simply much shorter on the consumer side, they're doing much less stringent validation and it's a profoundly easier job in a lot of cases (multi socket support is a nightmare to test)

well in this case, this chip came out in 2015, and the server version came out .... later in 2015.

BobHoward posted:

it's weird to complain about a big high core count capable machine using the literal best intel cpu option available, the only legit angle to critique from is that maybe apple should have selected amd this time around

it is not apple's fault that intel is still shoveling out a warmed-over reheat of a design from five years ago, but it's extremely funny that apple still chose intel

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

switching to AMD is a lot of work, and they would have had to start it before it was obvious that intel was going to gently caress up their entire product line. at this point this is just more motivation to abandon intel for arm.

it was obvious that intel had hosed up extremely badly two years ago. how old do you think this mac pro project is?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was obvious that intel had hosed up extremely badly two years ago. how old do you think this mac pro project is?

I know exactly how old this project is, I know who managed it, and I know who did the intel cpu support. that should give you some hint as I haven’t worked at Apple in over two years

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The Management posted:

I know exactly how old this project is, I know who managed it, and I know who did the intel cpu support. that should give you some hint as I haven’t worked at Apple in over two years

you could be the next daring fireball

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, let's be real, intel has been promising the new better thing any moment now all along, and up until relatively recently they had some shreds of credibility left

i still think going "why not amd" is missing like three levels of other reasons why this is a lovely product though.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also, let's be real, intel has been promising the new better thing any moment now all along, and up until relatively recently they had some shreds of credibility left

i still think going "why not amd" is missing like three levels of other reasons why this is a lovely product though.

well it's more like, "why bother"

fabulously expensive, warmed-over chip, stuck with radeon gpu still. was this product really necessary?

i am sure there are a few people who will be thrilled to have real rackmount cases but other than that, who was looknig for this?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Mac pro isn't much of a value but even so it's kinda stupid to expect Apple to turn on a dime and switch to AMD processors and Nvidia gpus

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

you could be the next daring fireball

it’s me, I’m hans gruber

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

it’s me, I’m hans gruber

cool, thanks for markdown

also markdown was incomplete and now there are a bunch of incompatible markdowns so suck it

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

hello Hans

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a horselord

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

well in this case, this chip came out in 2015, and the server version came out .... later in 2015.

it is not apple's fault that intel is still shoveling out a warmed-over reheat of a design from five years ago, but it's extremely funny that apple still chose intel

this is one of the cpus you can get

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/193754/intel-xeon-w-3275m-processor-38-5m-cache-2-50-ghz.html

products formerly cascade lake, launched q2 2019

if you look at the other xeons w, the previous generation, code name skylake, launched q3 2017. 2015 was when client skylake shipped

like i said, it‘s a real thing that intel server/ws silicon takes much longer to get out the door than client silicon of nominally the same generation

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

BobHoward posted:

like i said, it‘s a real thing that intel server/ws silicon takes much longer to get out the door than client silicon of nominally the same generation

*extrey low-effort comedian voice* guess like I'm client silicon and the old lady is a server am i right

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
ok if the mac pro is a "scam" what should i use to develop my unity3d iphone shovelware games. my criteria is it compiles ios apps quickly and it has a real gpu that can handle good graphics.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

an imac will be more than sufficient for that.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ok if the mac pro is a "scam" what should i use to develop my unity3d iphone shovelware games. my criteria is it compiles ios apps quickly and it has a real gpu that can handle good graphics.

bottom-of-the-line mac mini (maybe pay for a RAM upgrade), external GPU, external SSD, third-party monitor

Don't give apple a cent more than you have to.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

is the mac mini good now?

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
you can upgrade the ram in it again

no, not using the giant round hatch they designed into the case specifically for ram access ten years ago. that's still there but not how you do it anymore

instead you have to completely disassemble everything and the ram is in a tiny cage for noreason

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

im gonna make my own m-m-m-m-m-mac p-p-p-ro out of that janky macpro lookalike case linux was using in his vid and an atari 2600 logic board

should be comparable to the actual

i guess

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 4, 2020

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

extremely funny t o me how many people are mad at a thing that costs money itc its like the mods have abandoned rule36

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
nobody is getting kicked out of yospos for poorposting now that half the regulars are trans or communists. you want mortgage payers cellphone chat hop in the time machine and tell tom collins to post the monkeytail beard

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Macs pro

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

HorseLord posted:

ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST SO I STOP making GBS threads UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
for me it's more of a "gently caress apple, don't give them your money" kind of thing, not a rule 36 kind of thing

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
what do you mean there's not budget for everyone to have a new mac pro, Margaret in reception got a new mac pro with the fancy screen because she's customer facing but i also am customer facing due to my job requirements and i often work with clients who are here to see the executives so i actually do need a new mac pro too and i dont care what budget it comes out of this is a legitimate business need and it needs to be maxed out thanks! CC : Your Boss

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

extremely funny t o me how many people are mad at a thing that costs money itc its like the mods have abandoned rule36

rip rule 36 and also any humor

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

each mac pro includes two apple stickers for the lid of the dell inspirons you bought for your it department

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

BobHoward posted:

this is one of the cpus you can get

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/193754/intel-xeon-w-3275m-processor-38-5m-cache-2-50-ghz.html

products formerly cascade lake, launched q2 2019

if you look at the other xeons w, the previous generation, code name skylake, launched q3 2017. 2015 was when client skylake shipped

yes

these "cascade lake" parts are a rehash of skylake HCC, the original skylake xeon parts, complete with the original 14 nm feature size, and the original yields. it's not even a die shrink. it's just a new name on old poo poo

(the original skylake xeons predated the "W" scheme, which is why they came out in 2017 -- new name on old poo poo then, as well as now)

it's a five year old design with five year old performance

the newest intel parts are called "ice lake," but they can't be made with big enough die sizes on the 10 nm process to actually deliver a server part. also, they are actually slower clock for clock than the old warmed over skylake stuff

intel has been really loving up badly

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 5, 2020

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fabricated posted:

The Mac pro isn't much of a value but even so it's kinda stupid to expect Apple to turn on a dime and switch to AMD processors and Nvidia gpus

i'm not sure i expected them to turn on a dime

i just question the value of releasing a product that shares all the problems of the prior generation product. why even bother? what was the point?

sometimes doing nothing is better than doing something

pram
Jun 10, 2001
are you fucks illiterate. this is to post about the config you are purchasing. buy apple products or GTFO!!!!

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"look if we don't spend all of it this year they won't give us as much next year"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Bloody posted:

yes

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

pram posted:

are you fucks illiterate. this is to post about the config you are purchasing. buy apple products or GTFO!!!!

ryzen dez nutz

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i'm not going to get one op because I'm not a dentist with a sideline in amateur photography OP

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

rip https://bubsy3d.com no longer havign the in browser player (afaik??) because that unity3d bullshit was something no one sane wanted

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Bloody posted:

its completely kowtowing and awe inspiring how fast things went to poo poo in-between the first tech bobble to the financial crash to nowadays :worship:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

everything has been more efficiently commoditized than ever. money exclusively exists for the already super rich because central banks are directed by ideals that have been finely honed by :capitalism:

rent extraction is the baseline and that basic paradigm is so busted that companies including apple are doing the most basic things of demanding service fees per month because no one can afford to own things in this new intellectual property land lord economy model

:capitalism:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

you seem to be confused, this is an apple thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

r u ready to WALK posted:

just remember to pay the extra $400 (lol) for the wheels so you can drive your mac pro to work

this would fit a mac pro almost perfectly, i have one for my fractal case which is a similar size.

well why not fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 6, 2020