Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I gotta have more cores. maximum cores. cores galore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the really need to put up a configuration page so we can find out how shockingly expensive these things are.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
all they had to do was make a slightly fancier case for a standard pc, like the old pre-trashcan Mac Pro, and then sell it for like 3 grand and they would have sold a shitload. but no, they made a pointlessly overdesigned workstation that roughly nobody will buy.

guess what Apple does with machines no one buys. they never update them and then nobody buys them and then they’re shipping a 5 year old machine (see trashcan pro).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Smythe posted:

i got a large amoutn of money from a large private foundation to buy poo poo for my theatre and ima buy 1 of these =D

buy one for me too smythe

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
there’s no way they have amd chips in the Mac Pro but if they were going to, they would have been working with early silicon samples for the last year. it’s not like they wait until AMD (or Intel) releases a chip before they work on integrating it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
tim release a new iMac Pro. I have money that needs burning

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I wonder if the intel price cuts will lead to cheaper macs.

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
does intel have pcie4 chips yet?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
might be pretty hard for Apple to support pcie4 if their chip vendor literally does not make chips that can do it. also every other workstation vendor using intel chips

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mr.Radar posted:

maybe apple should partner with IBM and release a personal computer based on the POWER architecture? :v: you could buy those with pcie 4 a full year before amd released pcie 4 chips. (btw, you can get nearly 2x the cores and 4x the threads on a fully-loaded talos 2 POWER workation compared to the top-end Mac Pro. oh, and it supports nvidia GPUs and CUDA as well, unlike the Mac Pro)

lmbo at this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
switching to AMD is a lot of work, and they would have had to start it before it was obvious that intel was going to gently caress up their entire product line. at this point this is just more motivation to abandon intel for arm.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it was obvious that intel had hosed up extremely badly two years ago. how old do you think this mac pro project is?

I know exactly how old this project is, I know who managed it, and I know who did the intel cpu support. that should give you some hint as I haven’t worked at Apple in over two years

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

you could be the next daring fireball

it’s me, I’m hans gruber

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

extremely funny t o me how many people are mad at a thing that costs money itc its like the mods have abandoned rule36

rip rule 36 and also any humor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

you seem to be confused, this is an apple thread.