Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

so i am having two beers tonight, one was a nice german dunkel which i am already done.

the second one is Asahi extra dry, in honor of Senpay Sweet Willy Rollbar Samas brewing adventures. i bet it is, um... dry?

what do ya'll like?

my go to is this trappist the lcbo usually carries, but 10bux for a six of pabst is really hard to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic

my standby is fat tire, otherwise i'll go for any tripel that a bar has on tap

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

I'm gonna make me a manhatten with 67.5% abv bourbon

nut

i drank a henderson's amber ale from ontario

Escape From Noise

Aw shux. If you're going to drink Japanese macro I recommend Sapporo or Yebisu.

Korean Boomhauer
a place here has blue moon mimosas that are yummy

Twenty Four

I don't understand the concept of "having two beers" unless I was just that tired and threw in the towel, or "I drank a bunch of liquor then had two beers". I like to drink. *shrugs*

Also 10 bux would get you about twice as many PBR's here, or a sixer of a good craft brew. Or a bottle of rotgut.

I generally drink cheap swill because money but for good beer recommendations for the past few years I have been on a kick on a northern Californian brewery called Anderson Valley that make a bunch of seasonal beers I enjoy as a treat, both summer and winter.

I could talk about beer and drinks for a bit, but I will leave it there before I go on too long...

Goons Are Gifts

Ask me about German beer because at the office we are down from seven to four barrels of beer which is weird because drinking at the work place is not allowed and yet somehow it happens and everyone including the boss celebrates it, isn't that weird.

What I'm saying is I don't think I know anyone who isn't a beer alcoholic here.

Heather Papps

hello friend

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

Aw shux. If you're going to drink Japanese macro I recommend Sapporo or Yebisu.

i have drank a good ammount of sapporo but the
"super dry"
shouted out to me. it was, actually, very very dry! it was nuts. tasty, but dry? like a white wine is dry. it was strange.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Twenty Four posted:

I don't understand the concept of "having two beers" unless I was just that tired and threw in the towel, or "I drank a bunch of liquor then had two beers". I like to drink. *shrugs*

i love to drink but my sister and her husbando and two kids were over and i needed to be a funcle, not a drunkle.

Twenty Four

Goons Are Great posted:

Ask me about German beer because at the office we are down from seven to four barrels of beer which is weird because drinking at the work place is not allowed and yet somehow it happens and everyone including the boss celebrates it, isn't that weird.

What I'm saying is I don't think I know anyone who isn't a beer alcoholic here.

Okay, is Bitburger any good? One of my friends from Germany years ago was completely awestruck that you couldn't just go down to the store and pick it up anywhere like you can there. Is it like the equivalent of Budweiser or Bud Light in the USA? Like the go-to nothing special but everyone drinks it sort of thing?

Also how big are the "barrels" at your work? I know some friends that work at tech companies in the states where they have a beer fridge, but its more like "haha isn't this cool that we do this" and they maybe drink one or maybe two after work but more then that would be frowned upon.

Drinking culture, especially between different regions, is interesting but strange!

Escape From Noise

Twenty Four posted:

Okay, is Bitburger any good? One of my friends from Germany years ago was completely awestruck that you couldn't just go down to the store and pick it up anywhere like you can there. Is it like the equivalent of Budweiser or Bud Light in the USA? Like the go-to nothing special but everyone drinks it sort of thing?

Also how big are the "barrels" at your work? I know some friends that work at tech companies in the states where they have a beer fridge, but its more like "haha isn't this cool that we do this" and they maybe drink one or maybe two after work but more then that would be frowned upon.

Drinking culture, especially between different regions, is interesting but strange!

I think Bitburger is like German Bud sorta.

I know that TECHNICALLY a barrel of beer is 31 gallons.

Twenty Four

I think Bitburger is like German Bud sorta.

I know that TECHNICALLY a barrel of beer is 31 gallons.

I hope this is right, and GaG is down to like a hundred plus gallons of beer at work as opposed to a couple hundred gallons of beer. I'm sure something is lost in the translation and measurements, but I want my byob buddies to live in the best possible world!

Goons Are Gifts

I'm German myself so I don't know any US beer, which however I heard is a good thing :911:

Anyways a regular consumption barrel you can buy in every supermarket and most small sized general goods shops (we have many of those everywhere) is 10 liters, the regular big ones are 25 liters and the big ones usually meant for bars and professional use is 50 liters of beer, whatever that is in gallons. Some breweries also make 20 liters as medium option.
We have 25 Liter barrels at work, also bottles of course for ease. In Germany there's a big Feierabend Kultur (quitting time, after work's done) in which even those who don't really drink alcohol (like me) drink a beer or two, do that's how this happens. You can hardly escape beer culture here unless you're avoiding any kind of alcohol ever. It's everywhere, literally, and every store ever has it, like, I once got beer in Ikea.

Bitburger is good, but it's a love or hate relationship. It's not as intense as others of similar kind (we call this kind of beer Pils), which either you like as a good option, or Haze because it's not strong enough. It's regular Eifel stuff, because regional beers are a huge thing here.

Escape From Noise

Goons Are Great posted:

I'm German myself so I don't know any US beer, which however I heard is a good thing :911:

Anyways a regular consumption barrel you can buy in every supermarket and most small sized general goods shops (we have many of those everywhere) is 10 liters, the regular big ones are 25 liters and the big ones usually meant for bars and professional use is 50 liters of beer, whatever that is in gallons. Some breweries also make 20 liters as medium option.
We have 25 Liter barrels at work, also bottles of course for ease. In Germany there's a big Feierabend Kultur (quitting time, after work's done) in which even those who don't really drink alcohol (like me) drink a beer or two, do that's how this happens. You can hardly escape beer culture here unless you're avoiding any kind of alcohol ever. It's everywhere, literally, and every store ever has it, like, I once got beer in Ikea.

Bitburger is good, but it's a love or hate relationship. It's not as intense as others of similar kind (we call this kind of beer Pils), which either you like as a good option, or Haze because it's not strong enough. It's regular Eifel stuff, because regional beers are a huge thing here.

I mean barrels are a weird old measurement system. So a barrel of beer, wine, whiskey, and oil are all different by a few gallons.

Edit: I tend to like Belgian beers to be honest. I know German brewers are the most technically proficient. But the regional thing is super interesting. Like Bamberg is just like nothing but rauchbier.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 15, 2019

Twenty Four

Goons Are Great posted:

I may have trouble with the math, but the one thing I know for sure from this post is that I want to change jobs, countries, and move in with you.

Twenty Four

The Pils Haze and Eifel designation has me interested though. There may be an equivalent here but none of those terms are used. Educate me if you would be so kind?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Goons Are Gifts

I mean barrels are a weird old measurement system. So a barrel of beer, wine, whiskey, and oil are all different by a few gallons.

Edit: I tend to like Belgian beers to be honest. I know German brewers are the most technically proficient. But the regional thing is super interesting. Like Bamberg is just like nothing but rauchbier.

Yes we basically measure everything in liters, barrels are more a method of how to move the beer, even back when I worked at a bar we never used barrel as a term to measure an amount, except like "We need a new barrel, this one is empty".

Twenty Four posted:

The Pils Haze and Eifel designation has me interested though. There may be an equivalent here but none of those terms are used. Educate me if you would be so kind?

Well the Haze was just a terrible typo from my phone which I didn't see, I wanted to say hate, as in, love or hate relationship.
The Eifel is a big mountain range in western Germany that spans over to Belgium, I used that term here because Bitburger comes out of the city of Bitburg which is in the Eifel. Many, many, many beers in Germany carry the name of the location they are from, because as I said, regional beer is an enormous thing. Like, I live in western Germany in Cologne, we drink Kölsch (which is just the local dialect for "Cologne-ish" )here, for which you would get literally murdered by a mob in Düsseldorf and laughed at in Bavaria. In Hamburg and surroundings you drink Astra, Munich it's usually various kinds of Weizen or Weißbier, in Berlin you mix it up a bit because that's Berlin style.

Pils is a kind of beer, which is relatively modern (like, 19th century onwards) and originally comes out of Pilsen, originally a German city in Böhmen, which is now in the Czech Republic. It's a certain way to brew the beer, mainly because it's "untergärig" which in contrast to "obergärig" is a different species of yeast used during the brewing process. They are called unter (under) and ober (above) because the yeast either falls down on the bottom of the big pot its made it, or it swims above on the not-yet beer. To achieve the former, you have to cool the stuff down dramatically (8-10°C) which only was possible with modern machines, which is why the obergäriges beer is usually a lot older and more traditional.
Pils was one of the first beers that used this modern thing and because it's cheaper and especially stays good a lot longer than usual, it widely spread in Germany and by the 20th century, Pils beer was the most popular and important kind of beer ever.
The older, traditional kinds of beer, like Kölsch here at my place, only stayed around as regional speciality because it tastes a lot different than Pils. Bavaria also stayed traditional because, well, you can imagine why.

Bitburger, Astra, Flensburger, Bamberger, I dunno almost 90% of all German beer today is Pils, which is why there are many many different kinds and they all taste somewhat different, but rely on the same technique. The non-Pils beers are rarer, less important for the economy (which is a HUGE deal, like, no kidding the state earns billions off it) but also extremely different from location to location.

Prost! :beerpal:

Escape From Noise

To be fair I don't think anyone other than brewers in the US and maybe Canada use barrels as an actual unit of measurement. Now that I'm in Japan nobody uses barrels.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Escape From Noise

Also Koln is cool. I really felt like I missed out by not knowing German because apparently the servers like just bust your balls all of the time. It was fun though and that cathedral was really breathtaking.

Edit: Yeah basically all lager is newer because it pretty much requires refrigeration.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Dell_Zincht

I only drink CAMRA approved beer

Heather Papps

hello friend

Dell_Zincht posted:

I only drink CAMRA approved beer

i took a picture of my pisswater and the camra approves

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

For fancy beer like European beers better usually. So much of the american craft stuff now is so overdone and I think it tastes terrible. Super bitter hoppy IPAs that make me want to gag, coffee toffee mocha motor oil stouts that taste like anything but porter, they just have no subtlety.

Newcastle, Bass, and smithwicks are all very nice, and I like wheat beers and just plain good German beer that tastes like beer. I used to get some stuff that I think is the literal Budweiser of Europe that is sold in the US as Czechvar and it is nice and buttery and delicious. There was also a Belgian that i liked alot-blue label with a Belgian flag on it but I can't remember the name and I haven't seen it anywhere since college.

For not fancy beer, Miller High Life.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Goons Are Gifts

Hello yes, this is a Feierabend Bier reporting in right now

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

For fancy beer like European beers better usually. So much of the american craft stuff now is so overdone and I think it tastes terrible. Super bitter hoppy IPAs that make me want to gag, coffee toffee mocha motor oil stouts that taste like anything but porter, they just have no subtlety.

Newcastle, Bass, and smithwicks are all very nice, and I like wheat beers and just plain good German beer that tastes like beer. I used to get some stuff that I think is the literal Budweiser of Europe that is sold in the US as Czechvar and it is nice and buttery and delicious. There was also a Belgian that i liked alot-blue label with a Belgian flag on it but I can't remember the name and I haven't seen it anywhere since college.

For not fancy beer, Miller High Life.

For the blue label beer do you mean Chimay?

I like American craft beer but I do think that a lot of it has gotten way too extreme and gimmicky. Same with the new places in Scandinavia and whatnot.

Resting Lich Face

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Beer is cool and good when good and cool.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

For the blue label beer do you mean Chimay?

I like American craft beer but I do think that a lot of it has gotten way too extreme and gimmicky. Same with the new places in Scandinavia and whatnot.
It was not chimay. It came in tall skinny bottles shaped like Leffe, but it wasn’t leffe. I think it was sort of the Budweiser of Belgium.

E: I thjnk it may have been a wheat beer. I have been googling like crazy and I can’t find it anywhere and maybe I am just crazy!

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 16, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Escape From Noise

One of my all-time favorite breweries is this place called Upright Brewing in Portland, Oregon. They're relatively small but aren't going to expand because the owner is a restauranteur who's really successful at that. They make all kinds of stuff but their mainstays are a nice traditional pilsner and mostly saisons/farmhouse ales. They also make fantastic barrel aged sours.

Dell_Zincht

I'm a brand new craft brewer and I'd better make this beer hoppier than anything currently on the market or it won't sell, IPA forever baybee

Escape From Noise

Honestly I'd prefer to not make IPA at all really. But realistically you need to if you want to survive as a company. It's also funny because you can basically call just anything IPA lately.

Twenty Four

Goons Are Great posted:

Yes we basically measure everything in liters, barrels are more a method of how to move the beer, even back when I worked at a bar we never used barrel as a term to measure an amount, except like "We need a new barrel, this one is empty".

Well the Haze was just a terrible typo from my phone which I didn't see, I wanted to say hate, as in, love or hate relationship.
The Eifel is a big mountain range in western Germany that spans over to Belgium, I used that term here because Bitburger comes out of the city of Bitburg which is in the Eifel. Many, many, many beers in Germany carry the name of the location they are from, because as I said, regional beer is an enormous thing. Like, I live in western Germany in Cologne, we drink Kölsch (which is just the local dialect for "Cologne-ish" )here, for which you would get literally murdered by a mob in Düsseldorf and laughed at in Bavaria. In Hamburg and surroundings you drink Astra, Munich it's usually various kinds of Weizen or Weißbier, in Berlin you mix it up a bit because that's Berlin style.

Pils is a kind of beer, which is relatively modern (like, 19th century onwards) and originally comes out of Pilsen, originally a German city in Böhmen, which is now in the Czech Republic. It's a certain way to brew the beer, mainly because it's "untergärig" which in contrast to "obergärig" is a different species of yeast used during the brewing process. They are called unter (under) and ober (above) because the yeast either falls down on the bottom of the big pot its made it, or it swims above on the not-yet beer. To achieve the former, you have to cool the stuff down dramatically (8-10°C) which only was possible with modern machines, which is why the obergäriges beer is usually a lot older and more traditional.
Pils was one of the first beers that used this modern thing and because it's cheaper and especially stays good a lot longer than usual, it widely spread in Germany and by the 20th century, Pils beer was the most popular and important kind of beer ever.
The older, traditional kinds of beer, like Kölsch here at my place, only stayed around as regional speciality because it tastes a lot different than Pils. Bavaria also stayed traditional because, well, you can imagine why.

Bitburger, Astra, Flensburger, Bamberger, I dunno almost 90% of all German beer today is Pils, which is why there are many many different kinds and they all taste somewhat different, but rely on the same technique. The non-Pils beers are rarer, less important for the economy (which is a HUGE deal, like, no kidding the state earns billions off it) but also extremely different from location to location.

Prost! :beerpal:

Thank you for your knowledge, I really appreciate it!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am gonna have a beer today, later

Goons Are Gifts

Twenty Four posted:

Thank you for your knowledge, I really appreciate it!

Note that stuff there might be inaccurate or outdated, I learned all of that in school and it's been a while and also I think I had a C or something in that class, but it was elementary school so I can blame adults.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I like a big box of bud light from the costco because I'm fancy

poverty goat

I'm drinking Leffe because not only can you buy belgian abbey ale in food lion now, it's a little cheaper than most of their american craft brews

Heather Papps

hello friend

i want to get v hammered but also i am kidna emotionally raw these past few days so instead imma smoke weed and listen to cheesy love songs

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

i want to get v hammered but also i am kidna emotionally raw these past few days so instead imma smoke weed and listen to cheesy love songs

THEN GET OUT OF THIS THREAD, DUMMY

Twenty Four

poverty goat posted:

I'm drinking Leffe because not only can you buy belgian abbey ale in food lion now, it's a little cheaper than most of their american craft brews

food lion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

i had a beer but the nighte is yong so i might just have another