Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

Nah I get it. I like brewing saisons and stuff myself. If I ever do open my own place I'd love to do a full barrel aged sour program but I know I'll have to make an IPA or two to keep the doors open. I refuse to make a milkshake IPA though. That poo poo is gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

a milkshake IPA though. That poo poo is gross.

what even is that? (i already regret asking)

Escape From Noise

Twenty Four posted:

what even is that? (i already regret asking)

A New England style (hazy) IPA with lactose and usually fruit.

Twenty Four

So a bunch of crap to mask the fact that the IPA tastes bad and end up making it even worse? Gotcha.

nut

i rly like milkshake ipas :(

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

It's cool my dude. Like what you like. I just think it's a flavor clash personally.

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

who hurt u i'll kill 'em

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Escape From Noise

Drank some brews at a neat place and chatted with a Japanese dude who lived in Tucson, Arizona as a kid.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 3, 2019

Escape From Noise

Haha! The brew pub I'm at now is playing reggaeton.

Uxzuigal

Chill Berserker Dude
Heather Pappst: Katamari Damacy Signature/AV Edition

<3 <3 Vanisher

Spanish Manlove

HAILGAYSATAN

A newer trend is that they kettle sour these too.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
:barf:

*puts lime juice/mango chili salt in a modelo*

:beerpal:

Dell_Zincht

It's cool my dude. Like what you like. I just think it's a flavor clash personally.

Thornbridge do a really good Strawberry Milkshake IPA, it's good because the Strawberry is subtle as gently caress but you notice it the more you drink it

That said I hate what has happened to IPA and the IPA trend in general, when I was a student my first foray into "proper" beer was Greene King IPA which is nothing at all like the crap sold as IPA now.

Escape From Noise

I'm hardly the first person to say this, but the IPA label has become basically meaningless by being abstracted into oblivion.

Heather Papps

hello friend

guys i can't stop thinking about the norse dark ale holy poo poo

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

I'm hardly the first person to say this, but the IPA label has become basically meaningless by being abstracted into oblivion.

honestly nobody makes an ipa that tastes like it did for the british army in india. gonna homebrew a real traditional ipa, of good strength, much hoppes, and the renowned waters of burton on trent. then I will place it in a pitch lined barrel, subject it to increasingly warmer temperatures and constant rocking back and forth for a period of six months, before serving it to my friends tippled with 1/3 water. only i, an officer (of the homebrew club) will be allowed to quaff this brew at its full strength!

Escape From Noise

Hugh Malone posted:

honestly nobody makes an ipa that tastes like it did for the british army in india. gonna homebrew a real traditional ipa, of good strength, much hoppes, and the renowned waters of burton on trent. then I will place it in a pitch lined barrel, subject it to increasingly warmer temperatures and constant rocking back and forth for a period of six months, before serving it to my friends tippled with 1/3 water. only i, an officer (of the homebrew club) will be allowed to quaff this brew at its full strength!

I mean, I get changes, but even West Coast IPA still had the malt backbone and sharp hop character of a traditional IPA. But sour IPA for instance is pretty ridiculous. You can't really get hop character to shine though all of that tarness especially with fruit. It's really just a marketing label at this point. I mean it doesn't really bother me or anything. Definitely not the first time something like this has happened in the industry.

nut

idk i like all the dumb stuff people do with beer nowadays and i always presumed people just use the label of the recipe they started with before they messed around with it bcuz what else would u do besides round it to the nearest estimation u can come up with?

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

idk i like all the dumb stuff people do with beer nowadays and i always presumed people just use the label of the recipe they started with before they messed around with it bcuz what else would u do besides round it to the nearest estimation u can come up with?

I mean, I get it. It's name recognition. Calling something a hoppy kettle sour ale is going to interest far fewer people than sour IPA.

Edit: As a brewer :crossarms:
I think trying new ideas and techniques is cool and also probably just about the only way to make money and thrive as a business is the current competitive climate. From point of view in order to thrive you need:
1. An IPA
2. Weird experimental releases every so often
and
3. Consistency

Again. I think new stuff is good but sometimes I think that there's been a huge increase in kitchen sink type beers where somebody tried to Frankenstein like three solid beer ideas into one without much r&d beforehand. I used to really have issues with Dogfish Head over that but they're hardly the only ones anymore. As a brewer you sometimes need to suck it up and make boring beers you don't like to keep the doors open and fund your fun beers. But again, like what you like. I like true sours, saisons, and Belgian styles but if I ever open my own place I'll probably have to make a regular American IPA and maybe a Belgian wit to keep the lights on and the doors open.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 4, 2019

nut

I mean, I get it. It's name recognition. Calling something a hoppy kettle sour ale is going to interest far fewer people than sour IPA.

i mean i only have my perspective as someone who likes to go to little breweries in my city but i feel like both would be popular, it's like every year there's a new popular type of beer at least here in canada. i remember the year that saisons became popular then goses then sours and then hazy beers at this point i feel like people r excited to try whatever. calling something an ipa, i'd assume, is probably far more a powerful marketing strategy for a big brewery selling cheap beer to try and swipe some of the craft market on low price. Especially bcuz most small breweries here only service their neighbourhoods, so they have a combination of local loyalty and not-doing-huge-numbers to probably not benefit from fudging naming conventions

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

i mean i only have my perspective as someone who likes to go to little breweries in my city but i feel like both would be popular, it's like every year there's a new popular type of beer at least here in canada. i remember the year that saisons became popular then goses then sours and then hazy beers at this point i feel like people r excited to try whatever. calling something an ipa, i'd assume, is probably far more a powerful marketing strategy for a big brewery selling cheap beer to try and swipe some of the craft market on low price. Especially bcuz most small breweries here only service their neighbourhoods, so they have a combination of local loyalty and not-doing-huge-numbers to probably not benefit from fudging naming conventions

ontario is super weird because of the lcbo and beer store tho

Heather Papps

hello friend

NUT NUTTTT

did you know

in sask you can go to a bar, have a few, then go buy a few for later.

at the bar.

you can buy beer to take home, from the bar.

they call it "offsale"

it loving destroyed my mind i could not even believe it

nut

Heather Papps posted:

ontario is super weird because of the lcbo and beer store tho

i guess but when i lived in toronto i'd pretty much just go to neighbourhood breweries which don't distribute through either and sell out of their own bottle shops so the lcbo and beer stores went from being my only source of beer to non-factors once i found places i liked to buy direct from

nut

Heather Papps posted:

NUT NUTTTT

did you know

in sask you can go to a bar, have a few, then go buy a few for later.

at the bar.

you can buy beer to take home, from the bar.

they call it "offsale"

it loving destroyed my mind i could not even believe it

like i said, u can do that at breweries in ont bcuz they'll have a separate window/shed for bottle shops, but not at bars, i like this offsale idea tho plz i will take moer beer

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

like i said, u can do that at breweries in ont bcuz they'll have a separate window/shed for bottle shops, but not at bars, i like this offsale idea tho plz i will take moer beer

hmm yes this is good to know

i have never bothered to visit any micro brew places in my life, before stopping at norse for samples before hitting parry sound coming south

nut

Heather Papps posted:

hmm yes this is good to know

i have never bothered to visit any micro brew places in my life, before stopping at norse for samples before hitting parry sound coming south

if ur back in TO try blood brothers or bandit brewery if u can get to either i love so much also bandit brewery make their own big macs my god i miss

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

Yeah but some of the craft breweries are really big. Hell. Sam Adams is literally the benchmark for how much you can produce in a year and still call yourself craft beer (because the literally run Brewers Association). At a smaller size you are definitely more flexible and can sell out of batches much more quickly bit your margins are thinner since producing beer on a 500 liter system and a 2000 liter system takes roughly the same amount of time so you don't have to even be that huge for turnover to become a struggle. Also as you get larger you can't sell everything in house and competition for tap handles can be fierce.

Heather Papps

hello friend

nut posted:

if ur back in TO try blood brothers or bandit brewery if u can get to either i love so much also bandit brewery make their own big macs my god i miss

a cloud of smoke in the shape of heather papps appears

a hole roughly man sized is punched thru a wall

a line of fire

i am running

i gotta go fast

Heather Papps

hello friend

competition for tap handles can be fierce.

MOM STEVEN WON'T LET ME PLAY WITH THE TAP HANDLE IT IS MY TURN MOM MO MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Escape From Noise

Heather Papps posted:

MOM STEVEN WON'T LET ME PLAY WITH THE TAP HANDLE IT IS MY TURN MOM MO MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

That's it! If you can't share I'm taking it away! You can have this PBR tallboy instead.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I just wish someone made a good, widely available plain porter or stout. Guinness is okay but it seems to be the only one I ever see. All the other ones are super coffee milk stouts or something. Legend Brewery in Richmond, VA did a fantastic porter and I have missed it ever since I left.

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just wish someone made a good, widely available plain porter or stout. Guinness is okay but it seems to be the only one I ever see. All the other ones are super coffee milk stouts or something. Legend Brewery in Richmond, VA did a fantastic porter and I have missed it ever since I left.

Whereabouts are you?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

youngs double chocolate stout yes and very yes

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Whereabouts are you?
The gulf coast. New Orleans is the closest big city, and we get alot of Abita stuff

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The gulf coast. New Orleans is the closest big city, and we get alot of Abita stuff

Dang. I only went there once. I remember really digging NoLa and Urban South but I don't remember the porter sitch. Does Cigar City have any?

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Dang. I only went there once. I remember really digging NoLa and Urban South but I don't remember the porter sitch. Does Cigar City have any?

I don't remember seeing any of their stuff, but I shall investigate next time I'm at the The Good Beer Grocery Store.

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't remember seeing any of their stuff, but I shall investigate next time I'm at the The Good Beer Grocery Store.

Maybe just look for "dry" stouts also.

nut

plz tell me their beers are named column a, column b, etcc

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

plz tell me their beers are named column a, column b, etcc

They make a raspberry wheat called Purple Haze and a doppelbach called Andygator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Aren't Samuel Smith's bottled beers pretty widely available in the USA? Their Russian Imperial Stout is quite possibly one of the best in the world. Don't believe me? Ask Ratebeer:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-smiths-imperial-stout/85/

Their Oatmeal Stout is even better and my personal favourite beer of all time:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/samuel-smiths-oatmeal-stout/87/

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 4, 2019