Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four

Hugh Malone posted:

honestly nobody makes an ipa that tastes like it did for the british army in india. gonna homebrew a real traditional ipa, of good strength, much hoppes, and the renowned waters of burton on trent. then I will place it in a pitch lined barrel, subject it to increasingly warmer temperatures and constant rocking back and forth for a period of six months, before serving it to my friends tippled with 1/3 water. only i, an officer (of the homebrew club) will be allowed to quaff this brew at its full strength!

This is why IPA's sucked before, they made them out of necessity. Now they suck because they always did and still suck because small breweries are trying to "fix" them to cater to a wider variety of hipsters or people who want to claim they have a "better pallet" since they got popular.

SweetWillyRollbar posted:

I'm hardly the first person to say this, but the IPA label has become basically meaningless by being abstracted into oblivion.

Also this, like I said on the other page of going to the ballpark and the guy running the taps saying that an 805 is an IPA. IPA has almost become a synonym for "not bud light" with some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Yeah but some of the craft breweries are really big. Hell. Sam Adams is literally the benchmark for how much you can produce in a year and still call yourself craft beer (because the literally run Brewers Association). At a smaller size you are definitely more flexible and can sell out of batches much more quickly bit your margins are thinner since producing beer on a 500 liter system and a 2000 liter system takes roughly the same amount of time so you don't have to even be that huge for turnover to become a struggle. Also as you get larger you can't sell everything in house and competition for tap handles can be fierce.

I find Sam Adams interesting, because of course everyone started small, no one just walked out the door and started one of the biggest breweries in the area or whatever. But they still seem to market themselves as "one of the little guys" despite the fact that I could go buy a sixer at any convenience store and most bars around will have something by them if not on tap at least in bottle.

I feel like they are the biggest small fish in the pond, at least in the states, but they want to play up the small fish perception to fuel sales. I can't blame them though I guess, if that sells beer that isn't bad.

Escape From Noise

Twenty Four posted:

I find Sam Adams interesting, because of course everyone started small, no one just walked out the door and started one of the biggest breweries in the area or whatever. But they still seem to market themselves as "one of the little guys" despite the fact that I could go buy a sixer at any convenience store and most bars around will have something by them if not on tap at least in bottle.

I feel like they are the biggest small fish in the pond, at least in the states, but they want to play up the small fish perception to fuel sales. I can't blame them though I guess, if that sells beer that isn't bad.

I mean they were never really one of the little guys. Unlike Sierra Nevada which was started by Ken Grossman in his garage Jim Koch was never really a brewer. He was an MBA graduate looking for a business idea. When Boston Brewing started they didn't have a physical brewery, it was all brewed on contract at very large commercial facilities so their volume was pretty huge. I guess at one point Budweiser broke the story and tried to turn it into a scandal. Kind of like it was all fake. I think they even tried to outlaw contract brewing. But yeah. I get the story. Marketing is hugely important. Especially at their size.

Twenty Four

Also sorry anyone should drink whatever they like and would never want to cause a ruckus on byob, my favorite chill place on the internet, and I even like a bunch of things I criticize, but I have opinions about alcohol because I like it!

Escape From Noise

Oh. For sure! I don't think Sam Adams is like TOTALLY shady or anything. Like what u like.

Escape From Noise

This is all like just my opinion...maaaaaan! Also being a brewer with a small amount of experience doesn't make me right.

Someone else in the industry is really passionate about that hazy milkshake vanilla IPA with cherries and peaches. Hell. They made it!

Twenty Four

I mean they were never really one of the little guys. Unlike Sierra Nevada which was started by Ken Grossman in his garage Jim Koch was never really a brewer. He was an MBA graduate looking for a business idea. When Boston Brewing started they didn't have a physical brewery, it was all brewed on contract at very large commercial facilities so their volume was pretty huge. I guess at one point Budweiser broke the story and tried to turn it into a scandal. Kind of like it was all fake. I think they even tried to outlaw contract brewing. But yeah. I get the story. Marketing is hugely important. Especially at their size.

Oh. For sure! I don't think Sam Adams is like TOTALLY shady or anything. Like what u like.

I don't call them shady either, I meant it as more of an all inclusive "hey byob friends all is good drink whatever but that doesn't mean we can't talk about things!" disclaimer.

Even Sierra Nevada I can go buy a sixer down at the store if I wanted, probably could get a bottle at some bars, probably not on tap but maybe some places.

I heard an interview years ago on NPR with the Sam Adams founder, and you are right, he was totally a businessman who started a small business that happened to sell beer and made it successful, as opposed to a small brewer that managed to make a business out of what they brewed that became successful. Most of it was him figuring out "how do I sell this and convince people to buy it?" in the interview.

I usually drink cheap swill because I am poor, but that doesn't mean I don't like some good beer or booze. Also marketing.

Escape From Noise

Oh yeah. I just meant my own words.

Nothing wrong with going cheap! I drank a fair amount of High Life when I lived in Chicago.

Couldn't enjoy Ranier though. Too sweet for me but Seattle folks loved it.

nut

one time they sold narwhal in my booze store and i bought it and loved it and i've never got to buy it since

Escape From Noise

nut posted:

one time they sold narwhal in my booze store and i bought it and loved it and i've never got to buy it since

That poo poo can be hard to find.

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't remember seeing any of their stuff, but I shall investigate next time I'm at the The Good Beer Grocery Store.

It is high octane AF and a bit expensive but do you get Old Rasputin by North Coast in your neck of the woods? It's a Russian imperial stout but very dry and roastey.

Twenty Four

Oh yeah. I just meant my own words.

Nothing wrong with going cheap! I drank a fair amount of High Life when I lived in Chicago.

Couldn't enjoy Ranier though. Too sweet for me but Seattle folks loved it.

Rainier had one of the dumbest but funniest commercials, because beer and motorcycles? They used to drink a bunch of that and Schmidts when I lived in Alaska (because there was a fish on the can, and hey, everyone fishes in Alaska!), but was too young to legally drink. Been back a few times and now, well, we still drink cheap crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKFmc0oZXFI

Like that was it, thats the commercial, I think they put a logo up after it maybe.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

It is high octane AF and a bit expensive but do you get Old Rasputin by North Coast in your neck of the woods? It's a Russian imperial stout but very dry and roastey.

Idk if I can get it here or not but I have had it before and it was too strong and maybe bitter? It was not what I wanted. I want thick and malty (maybe aaaaalmost sweet) and a little bit of hops to balance it with toasty flavors but not SUPER MOCHA CHOCOLATE ROASTED CHARCOAL MEGA BROWN DARK STOUT.

I think I have seen the Samuel smiths stuff and will give that a try if I see it!

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

I mean, I get changes, but even West Coast IPA still had the malt backbone and sharp hop character of a traditional IPA. But sour IPA for instance is pretty ridiculous. You can't really get hop character to shine though all of that tarness especially with fruit. It's really just a marketing label at this point. I mean it doesn't really bother me or anything. Definitely not the first time something like this has happened in the industry.

sorry dude, I was just joking about an actual homebrew that was made by a guy I was acquainted with in the local homebrew scene. he wanted to make a "real ipa" and actually did all that stuff I said, except make his friends drink it with 1/3 water like the enlisted soldiers in India did

he didn't like it when I pointed out that the brewers of original ipa got to drink it fresh and that he basically ruined his beer :evilbuddy:

Finger Prince

Not beer but I just had a cider I got at st Lawrence market last weekend from a place called Hard Way. Wasn't cheap but ohhh yeah that's proper dry cider. Little cloudy too. Made me miss England. Like, brickworks is ok, spirit tree is decent, but they just don't quite have it down.

Also re: west coast IPA vs. and then everyone else did it IPA, like at least they did their own thing, and did it well out there. You could say they went too far in the hops war, but initially the stuff from PNW micro breweries was quality beer, and still is if your aren't trying to the the highest IBU because you're a manly man with the biggest, bushiest beard.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

nut posted:

plz tell me their beers are named column a, column b, etcc
Their beers are EBIDTA Amber, (i hope thats the joke you were going for) Andygator, Turbo(tax)Dog, Purple haze, and a few others. They used to do one they called the Restoration Pale Ale that was one of my favorite beers.

Stout update: Found some Lazy Magnolia Sweet Potato Stout and it is scratching the itch. I'd had it a feww years ago and liked it but hadn't seen it in a awhile. A litle more coffee-ish than I'd ideally like but it is good.

Escape From Noise

Hugh Malone posted:

sorry dude, I was just joking about an actual homebrew that was made by a guy I was acquainted with in the local homebrew scene. he wanted to make a "real ipa" and actually did all that stuff I said, except make his friends drink it with 1/3 water like the enlisted soldiers in India did

he didn't like it when I pointed out that the brewers of original ipa got to drink it fresh and that he basically ruined his beer :evilbuddy:

Hahahaha sorry. Got a little serious about it. But no worries or nothing. I wasn't upset.

Yeah...some home brewers get a little...crazy? Like I could maybe see trying it to see what that'd taste like but uh...why force your friends to drink that?

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
homebrewers can be crazy, but some are crazy like a fox.

knew this one guy who rarely, if ever, sparged (for non-brewers this is rinsing the grain after mashing, to increase efficiency). would just load up the tun with enough grain and water to get his desired original gravity/ pre-boil volume, and run that shiz off to the kettle. he was deffo under 4 hrs for a single step mash, all grain brew session and won blue ribbons from big rear end contests regularly.

stuff you can get away with when 30-40% more grain costs you like an extra :10bux:! man those were good beers

*sips high life w/lime juice and mango chile twangerz*

Escape From Noise

Yeah. That makes sense for sure. Kind of like how boil in a bag works. Recirculating with a homebrew setup is kind of a pain in the rear end.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I was drinkin a good beer I liked earlier after I mowed the yard (wiehenstaphaner heffe weissbier) but now I'm drankin scotch, which is basically just concentrated beer.

Escape From Noise

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I was drinkin a good beer I liked earlier after I mowed the yard (wiehenstaphaner heffe weissbier) but now I'm drankin scotch, which is basically just concentrated beer.

I haven't had Scotch in a while. I keep meaning to take that Yamazaki whisky tour. I live relatively close to it.

Heather Papps

hello friend

guys laker tall boys of their red beer are one dollar and ninety five cents and they are really good. wlel, okay, maybe not "really good" but i mean come on

also, while driving home from the beer store, i realized that my taste in ladies hair and my taste in beer are somehow the same?
blonds? not a fan.
reds? pretty cool, better then blonds to be sure.
dark? please beer, please be dark and smoky, black as night and thick as porridge.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Escape From Noise

I like Belgian blonds and ambers, not a big fan of the American versions.

Heather Papps

hello friend

truth, the authentic blonds are p good but given the choice between authentic blond and authentic stout i'll take the stout every time

Escape From Noise

Had a barley wine aged on ume from Harvest Moon in Chiba yesterday. It was nice.

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Howdy if anyone likes dry and tart ciders I would humbly suggest they try the Saint Arnold's Original Dry Cider it is heaven in a can.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

magic cactus posted:

Howdy if anyone likes dry and tart ciders I would humbly suggest they try the Saint Arnold's Original Dry Cider it is heaven in a can.

if they have it i'll have one in a few minutes

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I'm having one right now and am pleasantly surprised. My go-to is an east ciders extra dry cider, but this is very nice. Very tart and refreshing, with a touch of sweetness to cut the tartness of the apples, but not cloyingly sweet. I may have to stock up on my next grocery run.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Heather Papps

hello friend

Heather Papps posted:

if they have it i'll have one in a few minutes

they did not. v bummer. just got a big ol carling for the treeplanting memories.

Escape From Noise

Craft Beer Holiday was fun. Saw some people.

Slush Garbo

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

magic cactus posted:

I'm having one right now and am pleasantly surprised. My go-to is an east ciders extra dry cider, but this is very nice. Very tart and refreshing, with a touch of sweetness to cut the tartness of the apples, but not cloyingly sweet. I may have to stock up on my next grocery run.

eastciders are really good. they should make a cherry one

not really a dry cider fan, but their sweet ones are like half as sweet as soda pop and just right for me. it was a pineapple summer this year...

Heather Papps

hello friend

pabst 5.9

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Bout to crack open this scary looking brew.

Jedrick

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Tastes pretty flowery/potpourri like, which I'm not a huge fan of, but I guess I shouldn't be suprised given the name. Very smooth and drinkable though for 8.1%, if maybe a little boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise

Havin' a cheeky Chimay blue on my way to Tokyo. I'm not a big fan of the place but it'll be good to see people and I could use the time off.