Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
D

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

Do the rocks STILL stink after being out of the mine for this long?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

D

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
D and bring masks so that the magic farts don't make us sick.

Did we ever ask the other mines' foremen why they're sealing instead of just abandoning tunnels?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
D

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Toughy posted:

D

Do the rocks STILL stink after being out of the mine for this long?

No.

Volmarias posted:

D and bring masks so that the magic farts don't make us sick.

Did we ever ask the other mines' foremen why they're sealing instead of just abandoning tunnels?

Oh yeah, it's the Marquis Elmdor. He's got a reputation for being harmlessly eccentric. Mostly. But there's rumors along the lines of he enjoys ironic sadistic punishments and has sealed people away in dungeons and things like that. To find out for sure you're going to need to sneak into his mine without getting caught. Nobody lets random idiots into their mines, especially when they're economic rivals. He doesn't have any particularly bad blood with your family though. Maybe you can talk it out of his steward?

--------------

Anyway you have the mining techs make sure you don't cave yourselves in and you break through.

There's a drop into a partially flooded cavern, but the guild engineers assure you it's stable. It's hard to tell how deep the cavern goes or what might be in there, but somewhere in the cave system is the source of the stink, because it reeks. You peer into the dark and... is that and odd rock or some kind of creature? The only advice the guild has for you is that this area is somewhat dangerous, even if there's no creatures. It may or may not be lucrative.

A: Eugh, seal this off immediately. If you want to explore it they'll get everything ready and close it off when you come out. Luckily no other shafts contact the stink cave area.
B: No, wait, there could be fantastical treasures. Seal it with a door. The tinker's guild has an office here and can ensure it won't leak and stays locked.
C: Eh, we still have no real evidence that the smell is making anyone sick. Just leave it open and continue investigating.

--------------

D: Now that it's open, obviously you'll immediately explore the place.
E: Now that it's open, you'll explore it with specialized cave gear. Damned if you get lost in some pit.
F: Now that it's open, gently caress this. You're not going into this repugnant deathtrap. Nobody is.
G: F, but hire guildsmen to explore it. Will take hazard pay.

G: No, wait and try to sneak into Elmdor's mine and check it out.
H: No, have a friendly chat with Elmdor's local steward and see if you can get details. He's some nephew or other.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
BE

No clue how dangerous this is, but can't resist a "maybe lucrative." If it's only somewhat dangerous, we should be able to handle it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
it's "somewhat dangerous" as in "if there are no creatures it's still dangerous." They don't know what could be lurking, it isn't as if there's some kind of massive "under-dark" area. Caves like this are not particularly common.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

BE

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
BE. Magical seal, sufficient equipment.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

AE

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BH

Come on, being social is half of our deal. Buttering up a foreman or even asking a guildsman who laid the bricks is the easiest way to do this.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
AE

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
AE

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
You send for the tinkers and masons to get this area secured, and have your guys bring in some caving gear. One of the foremen has some experience with it and gives a quick primer on the glow orbs and ropes and how not to get lost.

Then you drop into greyish waist deep water. It's cold.

You've also hit the jackpot.

(average miner inserted for size comparison)

Directly to the southeast is an immense crystal formation that you're confident is going to be worth a shitload of money. The entrance area is extremely tight though, to the north and south are some narrow, partially flooded tunnels that are much too small for a normal sized person to easily traverse.

A dog could. "No. Sorry, there's no way I'm taking the mask off down here."
A moth could. "... Alright."

Lep carefully wades north, and then immidately comes back. "Bones. A creature lives there, but is gone for now. Ores, a pit down, and a larger flooded area." He checks the south and it's less dangerous, although he quickly spooks and comes back to report.

You've hit the drat motherlode. Huge amounts of ore and another crystal deposit. Plus a giant hole deeper that even has a small waterfall. The key is going to be how you get any of this stuff out.

You ignore the crystal for now, that kind of stuff should be extracted by experts. You can't access any of the ore personally and Lep doesn't know what kind it is. You can expand the existing tunnels without getting crushed though...

A: Go north and inspect this monster lair Makti saw. The noise of enlargening the tunnel will probably wake it up if it's actually at home.
B: Go south and inspect the ores, bring back some samples and such. If you keep punching through deeper Lep will feel safer exploring further.
C: Go up outta this dump. Mail Ell and let her know the situation, and while you wait you can see if sealing off the caves helps the miners any.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

B+C, I don't want us fighting an unknown monster without having more backup, but this has the potential to be super worthwhile.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A, monster fite!

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
ABC: Always B exploring

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
A. Forgotten Beasts are better dealt with sooner. Beware its deadly dust.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A The sooner we can make the cave safe the sooner we can leave the rest to the expert miners.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

You take an hour to widen the passage and head on.

The cave beast is not home, but it's left some bones here. They look basically like animal bones. Lep, who has knowledge of bones, confirms there's no people in there. He goes to grab one when he suddenly stands bolt upright -- behind you is the sound of rippling water.

A monster the size of a lion appears!

"Aaaarr? Aroaroa!"

The creature doesn't seem particularly aggressive, perhaps it's just sated it's bottomless craving for flesh? It has large eyes and isn't sickly pale like most troglodytes you've heard of. It's looking at your group with a suspicious kind of curiosity. You aren't really sure if it's the source of the stonk fumes or not -- the smell is too powerful to get a bead on the source down here. It'd be overwhelming without the masks.

A: Strike before it kills you all!
B: Fall back and monitor the situation.
C: Tame the beast by giving it some food.

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 10, 2020

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
C

Always convert.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Monsters? In MY AUNT'S cave of wealth generating gems? I don't think so!

A smash smash smash

And then see if the parts sell for anything good. That pelt looks very good for a coat liner, for instance...

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Slaan posted:

Monsters? In MY AUNT'S cave of wealth generating gems? I don't think so!

A smash smash smash

And then see if the parts sell for anything good. That pelt looks very good for a coat liner, for instance...

I appreciate this idea but C

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
C

It doesn't really seem dangerous.

We need to figure out a way to be able to detect the source of the fumes. Because if the source isn't obvious we're never gonna find it.

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

C

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
C +Smoke it out

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The cave monster rejects your wholesome food and instead begins bellowing hellaciously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PZpHyBRHi0

When you fail to back away it returns to the water and quickly disappears.

A: Seal shut the lair hole so whatever it is won't come back
B: Leave, continue to expand the tunnel system until you have a better idea where the source of the stink may be coming from
C: Leave, monitor the miners to see if sealing off this cave is enough to help them, then decide what to do with the cave

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
B

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Always ensure that monsters can't return

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
B

Aw, I think that was a vid from the (now relocated) Morro Bay Aquarium. I recognize that guy :kimchi:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
B

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
oh yeah i keep forgetting i rebooted this and made a new thread, but never posted about it in the old thread. If you still have this in your bookmarks and didn't realize it's here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3942802