Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Joey Freshwater posted:

Wait for iiiiiiit......

I mean if they give him the choice of any brewery under the InBev umbrella... hell of a deal. They've bought out some fantastic breweries in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Someone said that the gator chomp was like saluting hitler and cupping his balls at the same time and that just tickled me real good

Scarf posted:

I mean if they give him the choice of any brewery under the InBev umbrella... hell of a deal. They've bought out some fantastic breweries in the last few years.

Oh yeah I know there’s always that one hero though that jumps in talking about how light beer is water etc

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Joey Freshwater posted:

Someone said that the gator chomp was like saluting hitler and cupping his balls at the same time and that just tickled me real good

lmao, I will now always think of this. Thank you

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Joey Freshwater posted:

Oh yeah I know there’s always that one hero though that jumps in talking about how light beer is water etc

And I had to bite my tongue and not take the bait... But I had to at least give the line a little tug.

And I say that as someone who regularly pounds Coors Original and Miller Lite. i'm an enigma.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's almost time....

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

:laffo:

https://twitter.com/_pat_murphy/status/1174359424833597443?s=21

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Joey Freshwater posted:

This tickled me real good :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An1zswMrw6c

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scarf posted:

And then mostly kind of wrecked them (e: golden road was pre-wrecked though, they can keep that one)

Anyway it's gonna be Busch Light, whose inexplicable popularity in Iowa has become a dumb meme that prompted the whole thing in the first place.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 19, 2019

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
idk just because

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

And then mostly kind of wrecked them.

Anyway it's gonna be Busch Light, whose inexplicable popularity in Iowa has become a dumb meme that prompted the whole thing in the first place.

Nothing tastes better than free beer though

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Adun posted:

Nothing tastes better than free beer though

IDK, beer that tastes good probably tastes better than free beer.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I knew it’d be some low effort response

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta be honest i thought Jeremy Pruitt would be panning out a bit better. Doesnt seem like poo poo should be this bad.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Probation cat. You must've ventured into a political subforum again. :doh: Please don't do that on gameday, we need your various witticisms.

Ate a 6er for talking about the stress of school shootings being valid in spite of their overall statistical improbability. A controversial take.

Gotta keep living up to the avi.

MourningView posted:

Florida fan trying to mock someone else's choice of shorts smh

I'll have you know I haven't worn jorts since middle school.

Joey Freshwater posted:

:vince:

That's pretty great.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I gotta be honest i thought Jeremy Pruitt would be panning out a bit better. Doesnt seem like poo poo should be this bad.

Tennessee will never be good as long as Georgia, Clemson and Bama are locking down all the talent from Florida, Georgia, SC/NC, Bama and Tennessee.

Also they can't seem to recruit nationally anymore the way Fulmer could. They always had a good QB from Florida or California or somewhere other than Tennessee.

When I was in high school like every top flight OL/DL/LB in SC and NC would end up at UT or FSU.

Also a lot of this applies to UF to a slightly lesser extent.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Sep 19, 2019

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

The OT loss to BYU doesn't seem quite as bad now. The trip to Gainesville will really reveal where their season (and Florida's) is going.

Joey Freshwater posted:

I knew it’d be some low effort response

It was easier to find inspiration when Fulmer was coaching. :sigh:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

Tennessee will never be good as long as Georgia, Clemson and Bama are locking down all the talent from Florida, Georgia, SC/NC, Bama and Tennessee.

Also they can't seem to recruit nationally anymore the way Fulmer could. They always had a good QB from Florida or California or somewhere other than Tennessee.

When I was in high school like every top flight OL/DL/LB in SC and NC would end up at UT or FSU.

Also a lot of this applies to UF to a slightly lesser extent.

What? In this past years class we got:

Darnell Wright - #10 player nationally, #2 OT overall, #1 in WV
Wanya Morris - #28 player nationally, #6 OT overall, #1 in GA
Henry To’o To’o - #44 nationally, #3 ILB overall, #1 in CA
Quavaris Crouch - #61 nationally, #3 OLB overall, #1 in NC

Four kids that were the #1 player at their position in their state (and overall in Wright’a case)

Bunch of other kids that are 4* at their position that are from GA, TN, PA, and NC.

Next years class has the #1 QB in GA/#4 nationally already committed and a few 4* from Kansas, Maryland, GA and TN.

Pruitt is doing just fine with recruiting close to home and nationally considering what a poo poo show we’ve been. Recruiting will get even better if he can start winning.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I mean it’s been a year +3 games. I’m not ready to count him out yet. All his kids he’s brought in are freshman and sophomore. Most anyone good Butch brought in has left the program via graduation or transfer. Aside from the receivers all the best talent are young and raw. He didn’t even get a full recruiting cycle his first year. He pulled a top 25 class with like a month of recruiting time, if that.

Nobody expected to lose to GSU and BYU but I think both of those are outliers instead of what is going to be the norm. And as was mentioned BYU is looking like it might not be as bad of a loss as it first looked.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 19, 2019

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Other reasons to make fun of Notre Dame: Their student newspaper published an article from a ND Mom asking the women of Notre Dame to stop wearing leggings because they were sexually provocative. The pull quote was 'Think of the mothers of sons' for why women should think twice about wearing something that covered all leg skin.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/northamer...mKdX?li=BBJDXDP

Why the student newspaper published it is beyond me.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Won't somebody think of the children's mothers

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Maxwells Demon posted:

Because they knew exactly what the reaction would be.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Regnevelc posted:

Not sure if I missed this being posted

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27645130/gameday-beer-money-sign-hits-36k-charity

Dude raised $36K and ABInBev and Venmo matched that money to donate to the Iowa Hospital and Clinics.

That's pretty cool.

ABInBev is giving him a year worth of beer too.

apparently as of this evening dude on his own has gotten over $67k, which means 200k total is going to the children's hospital.

which means that he is the only Iowa State Cyclone who was successful at anything this past saturday.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

LeeMajors posted:

I'll have you know I haven't worn jorts since middle school.

Jnco with the long wallet chain

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Joey Freshwater posted:

What? In this past years class we got:

[snip]

Pruitt is doing just fine with recruiting close to home and nationally considering what a poo poo show we’ve been. Recruiting will get even better if he can start winning.

I never said you guys haven’t recruited somewhat well, but the depth isn’t there and y’all haven’t had the pick of the southeast the way you did like 95-05—not to mention how many classes have been rated highly and haven’t panned out.

Kiffin bailing after a year probably set your program back like ten years on top of everything else.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

I never said you guys haven’t recruited somewhat well, but the depth isn’t there and y’all haven’t had the pick of the southeast the way you did like 95-05—not to mention how many classes have been rated highly and haven’t panned out.

Kiffin bailing after a year probably set your program back like ten years on top of everything else.

I mean I clarified all of that in my post. And coincidentally it's been 10 years since Kiffin left, which seems crazy.

A lot of kids that Butch recruited either weren't coached up or left the program through graduating or transfer. Pruitt has really only had one full recruiting cycle and has pulled great classes, considering. Both of the classes he signed were full of highly rated kids from the Southeast and nationally. You set the parameters of saying what Tennessee/Pruitt isn't able to do:

LeeMajors posted:

Tennessee will never be good as long as Georgia, Clemson and Bama are locking down all the talent from Florida, Georgia, SC/NC, Bama and Tennessee. Showed recruiting is pulling top talent from the SE still.

Also they can't seem to recruit nationally anymore the way Fulmer could. They always had a good QB from Florida or California or somewhere other than Tennessee. Showed he's able to recruit nationally and has a commit from a good QB not from Tennessee.

When I was in high school like every top flight OL/DL/LB in SC and NC would end up at UT or FSU. Showed he's recruited OL/DL/LB from other states, though not specifically SC/NC

We haven't had our pick because we've been dogshit for a decade and in that same time other teams have gotten markedly better, which leads to better recruiting. I'm not saying we will any time soon but as you mentioned we pull consistently good/great classes, they just haven panned out. But I also think a lot of that is on Dooley/Butch and their coaching kids up. It's either not hard to recruit to Knoxville or even Butch/Dooley and their staffs were great recruiters. We do have great facilities so it's probably a combo of both.

Depth will come with more time. It's also tough on both sides of the ball - the offense (and by extension Guarantano) has had 3 different OCs the past 3 years and the Defense just completely changed schematically. Shoop ran a 4-3/4-2-5 while Pruitt/Sherrer run a 3-4 style. I can't imagine that's easy on the kids.

Your statement that we'll never been good as long as the other teams are locking down talent is true, but they're not and there's talent to be had. If/When we start winning again the recruiting will get better, the depth will get better etc.

All that to say is just the reasons I'm not bailing on Pruitt yet, though I know people who are. It's incredibly hard to completely change a program the way he needs to. If we're having this same conversation in 3-4 years then yeah something is probably wrong but I'm not giving up yet.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 19, 2019

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The Tennessee program set itself back 10 years by not hiring leech

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Metapod posted:

The Tennessee program set itself back 10 years by not hiring leech

A loss for the entire SEC, IMHO. Leach is great.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Leach also takes forever to get a program running and would probably have the same record (especially since he loves to lose against FCS)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
But it would be fun

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He took a few years to get going at Wazzu but Wazzu's previous coach had also gone 9-40 so there was a lot of rebuilding to do. He's at least shown he can build a program and also he can probably correctly identify most common vegetables

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I was pretty disappointed about the leach thing. If we weren’t gonna be good at least he’s entertaining. I like Pruitt but he’s boring as hell

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Yeah I agree that you shouldn’t bail on Pruitt and he will ultimately be fine. I guess we are just making two different points largely. I definitely know how quickly fortunes can change in the SEC. UF was 12-1 in 2009 and signed the ‘best ever’ recruiting class in 2010 and by 2013 we were 4-8 with most of that class gone and zero offense.

Bama seems immune to that so far but UGA and Clemson may still flag with some NFL aspirations, coaching turnover and/or midnight chest pains.

Mostly I think Tennessee lacks a lot of the natural recruiting advantages of several nearby program s so Fulmers sustained success is probably unrealistic for the foreseeable future. I should’ve been more specific with the ‘never be good again’. More like ‘never be that good again.’

Then again I’m an idiot rear end in a top hat and I’m wrong about everything so it’s best to ignore me.

Also it’s criminal that we didn’t get legit OG air raid in the SEC. One more reason to hate Fulmer.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if the NFL pressured ESPN to kill college games on Thursday, or if ESPN just didn't want to compete with TNF? Or did the conferences not like doing games on Thursday?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

I wonder if the NFL pressured ESPN to kill college games on Thursday, or if ESPN just didn't want to compete with TNF? Or did the conferences not like doing games on Thursday?

There are games every Thursday from tonight through the rest of the season.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Maxwells Demon posted:

Other reasons to make fun of Notre Dame: Their student newspaper published an article from a ND Mom asking the women of Notre Dame to stop wearing leggings because they were sexually provocative. The pull quote was 'Think of the mothers of sons' for why women should think twice about wearing something that covered all leg skin.

That was amazing. If Notre Dame is too liberal for your children perhaps they'd be more comfortable at a school like Liberty where they teach that dinosaurs are a conspiracy to test your faith.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Maxwells Demon posted:

told you... ND is a straight up boomer school.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

They definitely mostly stopped putting anything that might be interesting to a casual fan on Thursdays though. I assume it's a little of both. They don't want to upset one of their most valuable partners and they probably also think whatever they put on is most likely getting stomped in the ratings by the NFL so they don't want to waste a bigger game there. It sucks.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
nfl on thursday is a blight to mankind

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
I’m still blown away whenever I think about how Minnesota is 3-0 after that stretch of OOC games they had. Those are three teams that can punch above their own weight.

That AD is an idiot for giving Fleck those teams, but he must be doing something right to get past all of them.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah, like MV said they still have games on Thursday, but Friday night has definitely supplanted it as CFB's marquee weeknight. In the past, something on level with Utah-USC would have been Thursday while Houston-Tulane would be Friday, rather than the other way around.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Democrazy posted:

I’m still blown away whenever I think about how Minnesota is 3-0 after that stretch of OOC games they had. Those are three teams that can punch above their own weight.

That AD is an idiot for giving Fleck those teams, but he must be doing something right to get past all of them.

I mean they are still teams a decent P5 team should beat and Minnesota was losing in the 4th quarter to all of them. They look due for a pretty significant regression. Their line has been awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Democrazy posted:

Minnesota is 3-0

Goldy, bitch.

A week off helps. If they don't get past Purdue, it's going to be tough sledding outside of the Rutgers and Illinois games.