Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

I mean they are still teams a decent P5 team should beat and Minnesota was losing in the 4th quarter to all of them. They look due for a pretty significant regression. Their line has been awful.

Yeah like it's good that they can execute in the clutch but their offensive line was getting steamrolled by an FCS team, who really only lost because their true freshman QB made two terrible mistakes in his first ever game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Roasted Donut posted:

nfl on thursday is a blight to mankind

not an emptyquote

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LLCoolJD posted:

Goldy, bitch.

A week off helps. If they don't get past Purdue, it's going to be tough sledding outside of the Rutgers and Illinois games.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Roasted Donut posted:

nfl on thursday is a blight to mankind

Agreed. NFL needs to go back to Sunday/Monday, let college have Thursday/Saturday, and high school keep Fridays.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I really don't know what to think about the Auburn A&M game. I don't think Auburn should be in the top 10 right now. Stats wise Auburn and A&M are really close. They are pretty much dead even offensively, and A&M is a little ahead on defense. I really can't tell if either of them are actually good or not though, and I don't think this game will really tell. Even if Auburn wins I think we have to wait until the LSU game to find out if they are a good team this year. Of course if they lose to A&M or Florida I will be pretty sure they're bad.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

MourningView posted:

I mean they are still teams a decent P5 team should beat and Minnesota was losing in the 4th quarter to all of them. They look due for a pretty significant regression. Their line has been awful.

they’re the world’s shakiest 3-0 but they’re about to go through a stretch where they play illinois, nebraska, rutgers, and purdue

it’s totally possible they run the table and end up the world’s most fradulent 7-0 team before they get to the actual hard part of their schedule

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

LeeMajors posted:

Also it’s criminal that we didn’t get legit OG air raid in the SEC. One more reason to hate Fulmer.

I mean Bama runs it for about two quarters most games.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Declan MacManus posted:

they’re the world’s shakiest 3-0 but they’re about to go through a stretch where they play illinois, nebraska, rutgers, and purdue

I'll have you know Nebraska easily handled the mighty Huskies of Northern Illinois. Including an intentional safety to get their dominant defense back on the field.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Asleep Style posted:

Won't somebody think of the children's mothers

I think of them all the time :quagmire:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Duckaerobics posted:

I really don't know what to think about the Auburn A&M game. I don't think Auburn should be in the top 10 right now. Stats wise Auburn and A&M are really close. They are pretty much dead even offensively, and A&M is a little ahead on defense. I really can't tell if either of them are actually good or not though, and I don't think this game will really tell. Even if Auburn wins I think we have to wait until the LSU game to find out if they are a good team this year. Of course if they lose to A&M or Florida I will be pretty sure they're bad.

Freshman QB, hostile environment road game... I'm leaning A&M

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Scarf posted:

Freshman QB, hostile environment road game... I'm leaning A&M

I agree for the same reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn won, but I don't really think they will.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Is Lovie still coaching Illinois?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Mike_V posted:

Coaching is a bit of a reach

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Mike_V posted:

https://www.offtackleempire.com/201...ie-smith-satire

quote:

Lovie Smith Fired as Defensive Coordinator by Illinois Fighting Illini Head Coach Lovie Smith

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

I've seen that GIF many times but I only just noticed the scoreboard graphic in the stiffarm segment.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

They could make a bowl this year! Probably not after losing to EMU but, like, it's not inconceivable!

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I would like to take this opportunity to say that I think the Notre Dame Fighting Irish are a bad team and I hope that UGA blows them the gently caress out and our fans are polite as can be and offer visitors wings, cornbread, BBQ, and actual sweet tea with a helping of kindness.

also lol: https://twitter.com/960theref/status/1174652747800612864

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 19, 2019

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Just dont bring kids to the tailgates, i mean they ARE Catholic

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Please serve ND fans cornbread and beer via intinction...

edit: Also print up some Catholics Vs. Canines shirts and make millions.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scarf posted:

poo poo I missed the window on this

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scarf posted:

Please serve ND fans cornbread and beer via intinction...

The only time in my life I ever wanted Miami to win :allears:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

vyst posted:

I assume his buyout is really big because he's has done absolutely jackshit there

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

I assume his buyout is really big because he's has done absolutely jackshit there

12 Million after last year, drops to 4 after this, then 2 after 2020, 1 million after that.

I remember Illinois had fairly bad money problems at one point and half of the reason they hired Lovie is because that's who all the boosters were sold on or something?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mentioned this in the GDT last week but here's a video of it. Wake takes absolutely forever on zone read/rpo handoff decisions:

https://twitter.com/NoahRiley21/status/1174583852754526208

I remember K State doing something like this but I don't remember it being during the mesh, just straight either quarterback power or throwing that took forever.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Interesting. The QB often rolls with the RB too in those plays, so the RB is sliding toward the hole while the QB is scanning the field.

A defense is gonna adjust and just attack the mesh at some point and force the handoff more quickly.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

That's how we ran the RPO in high school. Not that we are anywhere near that complex but that was the reason back then for it was so the QB could buy more time

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Illinois is gonna destroy nebraska

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Grittybeard posted:

I mentioned this in the GDT last week but here's a video of it. Wake takes absolutely forever on zone read/rpo handoff decisions:

I remember K State doing something like this but I don't remember it being during the mesh, just straight either quarterback power or throwing that took forever.

This seems like it would get destroyed by a better D line that can get a lot of penetration.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
UH already scored, where’s the GDT?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Uhhh why is Tulane dressed in Tarheel blue?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Edward Mass posted:

UH already scored, where’s the GDT?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899179

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lmao Houston

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
ucla please don't hire drf until she fires tony sanchez thank you

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Based on performances vs Houston, Oklahoma and Tulane's defenses are equal.

Stanley Tucheetos
May 15, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Based on performances vs Houston, Oklahoma and Tulane's defenses are equal.

That's actually pretty good for Oklahoma.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I’m thinking about going to the IMG Academy vs St John’s game tomorrow in DC.

Any players I should watch that will be college football world beaters?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Komet posted:

It certainly depends on the fanbase, but this is one reason why I oppose selling of beer in the stadium for college football. I was at the Penn State @ Maryland game a couple years ago, and a Maryland fan that was still drinking into the 4th was getting increasingly belligerent as Penn State pulled away in a blowout more and more. At the start of the game, the stadium was probably 30-40% Penn State and by the 4th it was 50% as Maryland fans had already started leaving. I just don't think a lot of football fans can handle themselves and drinking in the stadium means they continue getting drunker rather than more sober as the game wears on.

I've never really run into any belligerent, drunk fans at baseball games. Yankees or Red Sox fans could get pretty annoying at Orioles games, but you didn't feel like one of them might violently explode. I think people take football a lot more personally than other spectator sports in the US.

The only drunken incidents that I've seen at any game in Detroit or Michigan lately had very clear culprits, they were the guys wearing the Barstool shirts.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/NoahRiley21/status/1174583852754526208

I saw that weird mesh straight killing some teams, like they seemed completely unable to stop it

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Play posted:

I saw that weird mesh straight killing some teams, like they seemed completely unable to stop it

I'm definitely anxious to see how Venables addresses it in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
How come Michigan Wisconsin is on at 11 an but illinois is on at 7, couldn't btn take the Wisconsin game