Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Seaniqua posted:

I believe you'll find the Georgia mascot is a bulldog (when it's alive).

related:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etMlNW5w-50

I think he may be asking why the LSU fan barked at him.

That's probably because roaring like a tiger probably doesn't work as well (insert video of Pat White roaring here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PostNouveau posted:

I had like exactly the same experience, but it was a frat dude at LSU.

Why barking? :shrug:

That was Cajun French

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

LeeMajors posted:

Watching hammered be-salmon-shorted 40 year old Georgia dudes angrily barking at small children in Jacksonville is also quite an experience.

This sentence is poetry

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

I had like exactly the same experience, but it was a frat dude at LSU.

Why barking? :shrug:

Georgia Bulldogs, although Uga is better at snorting and dying from heat and hemophilia than he is barking.

Not sure about LSU though. Cajuns are weird (and wonderful).

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

We had at least one really obnoxious ND fan posting here back in the day, too.

Lol Von Dozier

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Georgia Bulldogs, although Uga is better at snorting and dying from heat and hemophilia than he is barking.

Not sure about LSU though. Cajuns are weird (and wonderful).

Imbred dogs....it just means more in the SEC

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Alright it's Wednesday and i'm antsy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpePQ6FCkM

gently caress Florida

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They hate our lights paaaaawwwwwllllll

https://twitter.com/JTalty/status/1174334584810553346?s=19

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
lol, infamous enemy of Alabama athletics "somebody somewhere"

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Seaniqua posted:

lol, infamous enemy of Alabama athletics "somebody somewhere"

I mean, that could include "everybody everywhere"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Lol Von Dozier

The other guy was good, if not a little insane. If I recall correctly, he would watch each ND game like 4-5 times to focus on a different position group each time.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
brian kelly killed a kid
ND institutionally covered for rapists on the football team
rudy was offsides
the catholic church is a cancer
ND fans are cops
midwestern plastic irish
boomer trash
perennially overrated

also i'll be at work during the LSU game so this is two weeks in a row of nothing-ish games i've missed, oops

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

I think he may be asking why the LSU fan barked at him.

Not at me. At a young child in a Kentucky shirt. The kid's mom had to quickly usher the kid away.

Don't take your kids to football games. Football fans are terrible.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

PostNouveau posted:

Not at me. At a young child in a Kentucky shirt. The kid's mom had to quickly usher the kid away.

Southern frat guys are somehow exponentially worse than their northern brethren. After going to two places in Illinois before I got to LSU, I couldn't believe the difference.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

PostNouveau posted:

It certainly depends on the fanbase, but this is one reason why I oppose selling of beer in the stadium for college football. I was at the Penn State @ Maryland game a couple years ago, and a Maryland fan that was still drinking into the 4th was getting increasingly belligerent as Penn State pulled away in a blowout more and more. At the start of the game, the stadium was probably 30-40% Penn State and by the 4th it was 50% as Maryland fans had already started leaving. I just don't think a lot of football fans can handle themselves and drinking in the stadium means they continue getting drunker rather than more sober as the game wears on.

I've never really run into any belligerent, drunk fans at baseball games. Yankees or Red Sox fans could get pretty annoying at Orioles games, but you didn't feel like one of them might violently explode. I think people take football a lot more personally than other spectator sports in the US.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Watching hammered be-salmon-shorted 40 year old Georgia dudes angrily barking at small children in Jacksonville is also quite an experience.

Jacksonville ain't really the town to do that kind of bullshit. gently caress around and get stabbed.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
That Notre Dame-Purdue quoted article reminds me of when ESPN hired a USC sorority girl who had to have been related to someone to write a weekly column during the "Could USC win the Super Bowl" era of ESPN:

"At the risk of being on the receiving end of a flurry of e-mails from militant Red Sox fans, I'm going on record here: The New York Yankees have the strongest baseball legacy. You might say they are the USC of their sport."

"Saturday's game allowed us a small, and not necessarily pleasant, view into an alternate universe, one in which USC might not have a perfect record, or, at the very least, one in which every game will be a small headache for us devoted fans. It was when defeat seemed possible that Trojans fans were able to see what rooting for USC actually means.

Like I said: a no-win situation. A defeat is a disaster, and a win isn't such a big deal. Even close wins are somewhat of a disappointment, and heaven forbid we lose to a team like Fresno State. It would make the Bulldogs' century to knock off the Trojans."

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

LeeMajors posted:

Probation cat. You must've ventured into a political subforum again. :doh: Please don't do that on gameday, we need your various witticisms.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Spacemonkey57 posted:

"At the risk of being on the receiving end of a flurry of e-mails from militant Red Sox fans, I'm going on record here: The New York Yankees have the strongest baseball legacy. You might say they are the USC of their sport."

aaaaahahahahahaha holy poo poo

Can someone dig up the Michigan Man blog post? I feel like someone here wrote it and it contained at least one solemn reference to a Bo Schembechler quote as if it was scripture. I don't remember much more about it but it had a similar air of exceptionalism that's so hysterical to see.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

espn posted a ut kiffin retrospective, which is fine, but what i really want to know is what happened at the sun bowl

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why does not the university of georgia replace uga with a better type of dog

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Seaniqua posted:

Can someone dig up the Michigan Man blog post? I feel like someone here wrote it and it contained at least one solemn reference to a Bo Schembechler quote as if it was scripture. I don't remember much more about it but it had a similar air of exceptionalism that's so hysterical to see.

Was that this one?

Mgoblog posted:

"Indoor soccer leagues are not particularly good about keeping things balanced. We were getting the poo poo kicked out of us because we were all 30 and out of shape and these kids were in high school. Since they were in high school, they were dicks. I'd just about gotten fed up when their goalie started making forays up the field in an attempt to score. Repeatedly. Just rubbing it in.

I started tracking him the next time he did it, with every intention of cleaning him out. As I reached him, he passed the ball. My fate was sealed anyway.

Without any semi-legal means of letting this guy have it, I punched him in the face. 30 seconds of rolling around later, my glasses were in tatters and I'd gotten a healthy suspension from an amateur indoor soccer league I didn't care very much about.

This is not at all what Frank Clark did. I am not drawing any sort of equivalence between the two events."

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Komet posted:

It certainly depends on the fanbase, but this is one reason why I oppose selling of beer in the stadium for college football... I just don't think a lot of football fans can handle themselves and drinking in the stadium means they continue getting drunker rather than more sober as the game wears on.

Week 1 when Wisconsin wasn't playing, a friend and I went to watch some games at two of the most popular gameday bars near Camp Randall. A straw poll of the bartenders said 11 AM is their hated kickoff time. Not just because of the early shift, but people (especially older fans) go incredibly hard before kick, then come back and try to keep drinking. "They look like zombies."

Anyway, Michigan this week at 11! Spend $120 on a ticket and $220 at the bar.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

I'm not gonna repost every AsInHowe post for you that seems like a lot of work

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Notre Dame

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

espn posted a ut kiffin retrospective, which is fine, but what i really want to know is what happened at the sun bowl

I liked this part

quote:

"I always say that it's like that relationship where there's a breakup and then people are mad at each other, and then years later, they start remembering the good things instead of the bad things," Kiffin said. "I have a lot more good things than bad things I remember about my time at Tennessee."

Kiffin is convinced that the Vols would have won championships had he stayed. Walls agrees but was unable to avoid taking a playful shot at his former coach.

"Oh, yeah, we were going to win some championships, no doubt," Walls said. "We might have had to give some of them back, but we were going to win some."

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
https://twitter.com/brentblum/status/1173613077498982401

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
ND never shows up for high profile bowls / playoff games. They get into bigger games than they deserve and get blown out.

Here is a good run down:

https://www.bannersociety.com/2018/12/29/20729373/notre-dame-bowls-playoff

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

mayodreams posted:

ND never shows up for high profile bowls / playoff games. They get into bigger games than they deserve and get blown out.

Here is a good run down:

https://www.bannersociety.com/2018/12/29/20729373/notre-dame-bowls-playoff

I don't think you can point to many of their BCS/NY6 era bowl appearances and say that they had a resume that didn't merit inclusion.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The NBC deal is a big part of it. Before the explosion of conference networks and other channels your options for college football were limited to a couple of broadcast channel games and maybe ESPN and no real guarantee even your local college game would be on TV. If you moved away from your college of choice then there was almost no chance of them being one of the games on TV unless they were highly ranked at the time.

But there was ALWAYS the Notre Dame game on.

Also a special consideration for the BCS I believe?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

General Dog posted:

I don't think you can point to many of their BCS/NY6 era bowl appearances and say that they had a resume that didn't merit inclusion.

The NCAA doesn't factor in kill streaks

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I just got around to hearing the Mike Leach mascot fight analyis and god drat that is amazing.

"First, we have to consider what mythical properties a Sun Devil has..."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's really interesting to read some of the after coverage of the Arizona game that they made a choice to ditch a lot of the new things they tried last year defensively, and that they pretty much shelved all of Sumlin's defensive recruits. I think it's a nice acknowledgement that although Sumlin wants to change the system, the players that are actually ready to go are still left over from the old style, so play the old style. The flaws of those players still remain, in the sense that most of the guys from that era are physically small compared to most P5 teams, but I feel like in the end you have to go with who your talented people are, size be damned.

Obviously on offense there was a similar choice, with a re-emphasis on the run.

One game isn't enough to change feelings on the program but it's at least a start and a sign that maybe Sumlin has some flexibility afterall.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
The Domer article was posted in the ND student newspaper by a girl named Erin Piroutek in 1999 I think? Before those wimps started ducking Purdue it was part of our hate week ritual prior to playing Notre Dame. It got hard to find for awhile, so I preserved it in my OneDrive waiting for 2021.......

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm excited about Auburn-Aggies. I think it should be a good game, and I think the Aggies have a good shot at winning. It's definitely one we can't afford to lose.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

General Dog posted:

I'm excited about Auburn-Aggies. I think it should be a good game, and I think the Aggies have a good shot at winning. It's definitely one we can't afford to lose.

My body is ready for the fraudulent Kellen Mond experience.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Not sure if I missed this being posted

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27645130/gameday-beer-money-sign-hits-36k-charity

Dude raised $36K and ABInBev and Venmo matched that money to donate to the Iowa Hospital and Clinics.

That's pretty cool.

ABInBev is giving him a year worth of beer too.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Regnevelc posted:

ABInBev is giving him a year worth of beer too.

Wait for iiiiiiit......

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LeeMajors posted:

I’m lazy but find/replace with gator chomps

I don’t miss going to Jacksonville largely because of the annoying fans on both sides. Stupid posturing and it got tiring after 10 years of going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Florida fan trying to mock someone else's choice of shorts smh