Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dango Bango posted:

I'm annoyed by those rankings. K-State should be in both polls (and higher) and BYU should be in the 20-25 range as well.

Florida, Michigan, and Penn State are all hilariously overrated.

I don’t know about BYU- they got their poo poo pushed in in a rivalry game at home (granted, Utah is probably very good) and got close wins against a suspect USC and an extremely suspect Tennessee. If you put them in the top 25 I’m not going to argue, but I’m also not writing my senator if they’re left out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

I was talking with a coworker about whether Chip Kelly would make it to the end of the season with UCLA, so we looked up his buyout. He is owed $9 mil flat if he is fired at any time before the end of his 4th season.

:lol: They're stuck with him for another 2 and a half years

UCLA would be foolish not to give him every opportunity to succeed at this point. If he can't make it work there, then who the hell are they going to get that will?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MourningView posted:

Kill is a pretty decent coach who absolutely should not be coaching football

If he's just a consultant or analyst or something it doesn't seem like a big problem. If even that's too high-stress for him, he's probably not long for this world anyway.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

But it wasn’t a matter of trying to have it both ways, that’s how champions were always determined in traditional round robin tournaments. Split titles were just a thing, historically. And the conference couldn’t very well change the rules and strip a team of their shared conference title contrary to the rules established at the beginning. So anyway, now we have a championship game.

That's a little bit revisionist, as the Big 12 intentionally muddied the water after Baylor lost their first game by saying, unsolicited, "well, just so you know, TCU is technically also champ if they both finish 8-1." Yes, it was factually true, but at the same time the head-to-head was always decisive and unquesionted when it came to, say, bowl autobids.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There was no onus on the Big 12 to declare either the "definitive" conference champion, and it wouldn't have made any difference if they had. My only note is that Big 12 officials at some point during the season (and in an official capacity if my memory serves correctly) chose to hang a lantern on the fact that Baylor and TCU could plausibly be co-champs. I don't know if they were looking to hedge their bets in case TCU stayed ahead of Baylor in the polls, or whether they hoped to get both in or what their objective was, but in any event it did no favors to either team. (For the record it probably didn't hurt either, Ohio State was always getting in over both of them after vaporizing Wisconsin and getting an extra win, and, you know, being Ohio State)

edit: You know what, it was a little bit different than I remembered

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11964184/big-12-present-tcu-baylor-co-champions

tl;dr, Bowlsby basically just re-iterated that the two were co-champs and that it wasn't the conference's job to elevate one or the other and do the selection committee's job for them, which is fair enough.

I am glad the committee ultimately put Baylor at #5 though, and that they get permanent rights to be the more aggrieved party (no, getting stomped by Bortles in the Fiesta doesn't invalidate it)

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Sep 17, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

mayodreams posted:

ND never shows up for high profile bowls / playoff games. They get into bigger games than they deserve and get blown out.

Here is a good run down:

https://www.bannersociety.com/2018/12/29/20729373/notre-dame-bowls-playoff

I don't think you can point to many of their BCS/NY6 era bowl appearances and say that they had a resume that didn't merit inclusion.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm excited about Auburn-Aggies. I think it should be a good game, and I think the Aggies have a good shot at winning. It's definitely one we can't afford to lose.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if the NFL pressured ESPN to kill college games on Thursday, or if ESPN just didn't want to compete with TNF? Or did the conferences not like doing games on Thursday?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are games every Thursday from tonight through the rest of the season.

Yeah, like MV said they still have games on Thursday, but Friday night has definitely supplanted it as CFB's marquee weeknight. In the past, something on level with Utah-USC would have been Thursday while Houston-Tulane would be Friday, rather than the other way around.