Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

morothar posted:

This was my summary on the previous page after driving one in Ireland last year.

So sadly, a Tiguan isn’t even close. A Golf GTI might be the closest product available in the US in terms of feel/package.

While I don't think the US get all the current MQB evo variants yet, a golf is a very far cry from a Formentor, one is a low riding hatchback and the other is a high riding soft suspensions suv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

While I don't think the US get all the current MQB evo variants yet, a golf is a very far cry from a Formentor, one is a low riding hatchback and the other is a high riding soft suspensions suv.

I know what you mean, but hence why I said closest:

Weight: Formentor and GTI approx 3,100 lbs, Tiguan about 3,600 lbs

Clearance: Formentor 16cm, GTI about 12 cm, Tiguan 19cm

Height: Formentor 60”, GTI 58”, Tiguan 65”

Length: Formentor 175”, GTI 169, Tiguan 186”

Interior space: about the same in the Formentor/Golf, the Tiguan is way bigger

The Formentor felt like a modern rally-spec Golf Country; the Tiguan is just an SUV.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Picked up a Mazda 3 AWD Turbo in Newark this week. I was briefly contemplating if a Mazda 3 would make a good 2nd family vehicle, so the opportunity to drive it for a week was a treat.

In short, it’s about a 7.5/10? Would recommend, but I suspect a Golf GTI may be a more well-rounded offering. More of a warm than hot hatch, but fun enough to drive.

The Mazda 3 is quick, but not fast. Compared to our ID4, it’s… kinda slow, but that’s EVs for you. Significant turbo lag from a stop - you smash the go pedal and it takes a full second for the car to move. The gearbox is unobtrusive; a Porsche PDK / VW Doppelkupplung it ain’t.
Hugs the road well, but kind of soft. Definitely tuned for comfort. I was surprised that it weighs in at 3,300 lbs, because it feels lighter.

Interior is upmarket, with a e.g. soft-touch middle console. It’s also snug, but I love when a car hugs me as a driver and you sit “in” the car. Rear doors are on the small side, and I’ve had some passengers complain about ingress and egress. The trunk is adequate with a narrow opening.

Would drive again.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

morothar posted:

Picked up a Mazda 3 AWD Turbo in Newark this week. I was briefly contemplating if a Mazda 3 would make a good 2nd family vehicle, so the opportunity to drive it for a week was a treat.

In short, it’s about a 7.5/10? Would recommend, but I suspect a Golf GTI may be a more well-rounded offering. More of a warm than hot hatch, but fun enough to drive.

The Mazda 3 is quick, but not fast. Compared to our ID4, it’s… kinda slow, but that’s EVs for you. Significant turbo lag from a stop - you smash the go pedal and it takes a full second for the car to move. The gearbox is unobtrusive; a Porsche PDK / VW Doppelkupplung it ain’t.
Hugs the road well, but kind of soft. Definitely tuned for comfort. I was surprised that it weighs in at 3,300 lbs, because it feels lighter.

Interior is upmarket, with a e.g. soft-touch middle console. It’s also snug, but I love when a car hugs me as a driver and you sit “in” the car. Rear doors are on the small side, and I’ve had some passengers complain about ingress and egress. The trunk is adequate with a narrow opening.

Would drive again.

Sedan I assume? I've been considering the hatch for when it's time to replace my 6. Your impression seems to match pretty much what I've heard/read elsewhere. "Warm" but not "hot", "sporty" but still a bit soft, quick but not exactly aggressive. I could definitely live with that as a DD.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Sedan I assume? I've been considering the hatch for when it's time to replace my 6. Your impression seems to match pretty much what I've heard/read elsewhere. "Warm" but not "hot", "sporty" but still a bit soft, quick but not exactly aggressive. I could definitely live with that as a DD.

No, it was the hatch alright. In some kind of baby diarrhea color.

Design-wise, I think it looks way better than the sedan, or the golf.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

morothar posted:

No, it was the hatch alright. In some kind of baby diarrhea color.

Design-wise, I think it looks way better than the sedan, or the golf.

Ah, cool. "Trunk" threw me off. Sounds like it may have been their new 'Zircon Sand' color. Haven't seen it in person, but I kinda dig it based on the website.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My 2007 BMW 525D was at the dealer to get the airconditioning fixed.

They gave me a 2024 330e (4cylinder petrol plug in hybrid with a 12kwh battery).

Thoughts on the 330e:

1. HUDs are a pointless gimmic.
2. ⁠PHEVs are not great at anything in particular beyond shorter journeys and the ability to do a longer journey once in a while. If you're doing about 100miles a day or more, it needs more refueling and more charging, and therefore more faff, than a regular petrol car. I ran down the battery from 100% in hybrid mode to 0% in a 40 mile drive.
3. Not enough boot space in 3s, particularly not in the e.
4. ⁠Not a fan of girth of the M steering wheel.
5. ⁠The car's parking sensors go bloody mad when trying to reverse in parallel to tight garage openings, properly screaming at you like you have already hit something. My E60's parking sensors are far better calibrated.
6. ⁠Digital dashboards are not as good as clocks.
7. ⁠Autopark is bloody amazing.
8. Steering wheel heating is fantastic.
9. Heated seats are nice.
10. ⁠X drive is very very planted. I was taking tight corners I know like the back of my hand much quicker than in Brenda.
11. ⁠I can see why comfort access results in stolen cars.

All in all, I prefer my car significantly more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's not really a problem with PHEVs in general, rather with that particular implementation which has the both worse fuel economy and a much smaller tank than the normal petrol version.