Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
In Chicago a couple of weeks go. Rented a Nissan Sentra.
38 miles to the gallon, everything was sort of ok inside the car.
Automatic is numb numb numb, it does make the teeny engine feel slightly peppy.
Weather already stripping pulling off rear doors, car had 12K miles on it lol.
Ride was nice very for a tiny car, but the steering was numb numb numb.
Steering wheel very nice feel and bumps in the right places.

They left some giant “Do Not Remove except by consumer” on the windshield, like 5” x 7”, blocking a substantial portion of the windshield. Took about ten minutes for me to ssssllllloooooly pull it off. WTF Avis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The last Sentra I drove was a 1984 model, in 1994. so generally speaking this thing was an immense upgrade from that. (Except the 1984 had a five speed, that was fun)
I mean the current model was also just absolutely the cheapest cheapest pos ever made and gave no thrill/pleasure at all. But it did what it was supposed to do for a carppliance.
I think my biggest disappointment was I could not dim the instrument panel sufficiently.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
2 cars in this one

Flew to flagstaff AZ to see Grand Canyon, Mesa verde, Ouray, then drive home.
Reserved a Mazda CX-5… Avis gave us a Chevy Spark. Lol. Barely get 3 people and luggage in it.
Now, I knew performance would be down compared to DD (polestar 2), but holy cannoli.
Dangerously slow, I was able to floor it multiple times during the hour we had it, grocery shopping and returning to airport to get a 2022 Passat R-Line.
The Passat R line is a little faster but still I’ve forgotten what it’s like to plan ahead when pulling out into traffic.
Handles ok, but very slow off the line. 18 buttons on the steering wheel! Tiny, fuzzy screen!
No power seats, no ACC, steering feel ok, steering wheel is pretty comfy but too thin.
Engine has the auto stop to save gas which I find very annoying even though it works pretty well.
42 mpg so that is pretty good.
Has faux exhaust ports in rear bumper but exhaust is actually single and exits under car.
More cup holders than polestar, also the spark has more cup holders than polestar.
Sssslllooooowwwww to unlock doors, and no proximity so always have to use the single to unlock (single also has physical key broken out of it).

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon PHEV, to drive to the eclipse and back. We had reserved a Prius Hybrid… “but we do have another hybrid available” Haahaa, thought it might be cute, who knows, I have not driven a Jeep since my days with a gas leaking/guzzling J20.
So, I guess, in retrospect, I really should have known better, and it’s not really that shocking that an earth crawler is not good on the interstate , but this thing was bad bad.

The Good:
It’s very handsome

It felt quick, if disconnected/loosey goosey, the 2 liter was quick to rev, but the PHEV randomly turning off the engine while driving or not turning it on when I pushed the start button was not a confidence builder.

Also it took a while to learn to push a button to stop and start the car (Polestar, I get in car, drive. Get out of car and walk away, it’ll lock itself). The Jeep I found running a couple of times when I went back outside. ( I dunno, seems like car in park + nobody in seats + no key nearby, maybe it should at least shut off by itself?)

It can ford 33” of water (we drove through a flooded lane 12” that mere not-Jeeps had to avoid, that was cool, that one time, in 1800 miles of driving)

Hard switches for a/c, seat heater, steering wheel heat

It fit in pretty well, in Texas hill country, not a truck, but a truck-like object

Fancy suspension/traction gear sticks and differential buttons etc (*not useful on highway)

The Bad:

The incredible noise. Conversation was not possible. Everything got said twice to be understood. Forget music or podcast.

The incredibly bad mileage (17.6mpg) which gave us ~290 miles on a tank, which is not great, but you really need a break by then actually.

I thought it would be sort of fancy, right? Looks fancy from the outside anyway! Well…

-basic cruise control only so you really have to pay attention

-no lane keeping, so no help from that either

-no power seats

-no overhead camera view (seems like that would be handy off road, in the rocks, what do I know?)

-no blind spot car detection

-mirrors seemingly good sized but actually pretty limited in their view and travel

-common to many modern vehicles, it takes up a lot of space and doesn’t hold that much stuff

-it came with several bulky nylon cushioned bags taking up space in the back, for the doors/windows in case you are driving in a rainforest or Jurassic park and feel the need to disassemble the vehicle

-since it can be disassembled, many things have bulky latches or dangling lanyards

-vertical windshield (and everything else really) found all the insects, and was really distracting at night.

-rear door/window combination is a doozy. Jeep-sized spare mounted on the swinging gate makes it very heavy, and it takes up a lot of room. Rear glass that swings up, of course can only be swung up when the gate is open, has lots of hanging attached cables to snag things on, and additional feature of funneling water into the rear luggage compartment. (Guess thats fine? I assume the vehicle is water proof even if our luggage and stuff isn’t.)

-macho plastic fenders serve dual purpose of setting my water bottle on whilst simultaneously trapping 1/8” gravel against the painted body

-no auto up on the window switches (which are on the dash…)

-“graphics design is my passion” levels of work on the UI and infotainment, it looks like successive teams of interns abandoned it at graduation and then just farmed it out to someone remotely w/o any QA at all. Ugly colors (puke green for coolant and fuel level anyone?), lots of different fonts, not nice to look at.

-infotainment system - I struggled to get information or entertainment out of it. Eg, select a zipcode to navigate to, and YOU have to select the numeric keyboard… that only has the numbers 7 & 8 available, the rest are greyed out, lol, lmao.
Ok, I’ll,navigate to a city instead, but it will only find cities in Texas…
Ok, also, it will only let you enter navigation information if you are stopped…
Ok, also, nag screen every time you start driving…
Just messy design, illogical menu choices, difficult to get through.

Other weirdness - a button, on the steering wheel, so I can change to KPH vs MPH. Haaha wtf.
That will never, ever, ever, happen by accident.
(Why are all these people tailgating me again?)

Add to the fact the first 800 miles was 30mph headwinds/crosswinds and 400 miles on way back home was driving rain + 30 mph crosswinds, and this thing is tall and short wheelbase, it was just a real workout, constant steering correction.

So yeah, don’t rent this thing to really drive anywhere unless it’s a rain forest or Jurassic Park or maybe just 5-10 miles around the airport. I get that it is not the ideal vehicle for a road trip, but I can’t imagine actually paying for this level of not-quite-finished.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I didn’t want to hate on it, it’s so attractive, but man.