Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The incel community is going to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Have you seen gameplay footage for the VR games Blood Trail or Blade & Sorcery? We already have VR murder simulators.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Are there any VR fighting games? The only first-person tournament fighter I can think of was for the Atari Jaguar.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gorn is a pretty good one. I damaged a light fixture playing it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This movie was loving horrendous.

Liu kang - looked loving awesome

Sonya- looked good,too friendly though

Jax-ehh

Kabal - looked awesone,sounded like frank reynolds

Raiden- looked like a loving idiot

Shang tsung - looked even worse

Goro - ehh

Scorpion - ehh

Sub zero - ehh

You loving wasted time putting loving nitara in this loving thing?

Reptile - lame

Kano - meh,also if his eye is magic why did it spark like it was electric?

Kung lao - looked great

Reiko - looked nothing like him but at least he looked mortal kombat esque

Boring man - the most boring man who ever lived,even his power ranger suit was boring.

A movie so horribly directed that boring mans suit (that can take direct hits from goro) has folds in it like it’s a loving £10 kids halloween costume from wish.com

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 16, 2021

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
For real, after watching it I was like, "Well that sucked but there were a few things I liked" but by now thinking about the sucky parts has annoyed me enough that I wouldn't even look up the good parts on Youtube. Just a complete waste.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I’m mostly confounded by how much they got in their own way. People wanted dynamic and well-choreographed fight scenes linked by a pretty simple mythology.

Instead, they gave us a bunch of tedious new lore surrounding an original character nobody is invested in, and pinned the whole movie on him. They already had Sonya and Jax as outsider exposition robots if they needed them. And they already had a way more interesting central conflict: Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

They got Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion and the dude is in like 3 scenes. He should’ve been front and center.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Yeah they had an open goal for a great movie,perfect looking liu kang,decent Sonya and Jax,great looking Kung lao.

And instead we got…incrompehensible fight scenes where not a single punch or kick matters and a story centered on a main character who if you told me he was green screened in and never actually interacted with the other actors i’d believe you.

Scene : Jax is Mortally wounded on a makeshift bed,his arms have been damaged beyond repair and he looks like he could pass away at any moment,sonya is upset.

And what does the main character do when he sees this horrible sight?

He leans against the wall like he’s waiting for his dinner to be handed to him.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Xealot posted:

I’m mostly confounded by how much they got in their own way. People wanted dynamic and well-choreographed fight scenes linked by a pretty simple mythology.

Instead, they gave us a bunch of tedious new lore surrounding an original character nobody is invested in, and pinned the whole movie on him. They already had Sonya and Jax as outsider exposition robots if they needed them. And they already had a way more interesting central conflict: Scorpion and Sub-Zero.

They got Hiroyuki Sanada as Scorpion and the dude is in like 3 scenes. He should’ve been front and center.

Same with Joe Taslim. I wad very excited when he was announced as Sub-Zero, and I was fully on-board with him as Shang Tsung's primary assassin. They had an ice-themed Terminator on their hands and completely wasted him.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The movie would have been an hour and a half shorter if sub zero had just walked up to the main character at the diner and killed him.

Instead he made it snow (??)and threw snowballs(??)and then stood still and let him get away before fighting Jax(??)

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The movie would have been an hour and a half shorter if sub zero had just walked up to the main character at the diner and killed him.

Instead he made it snow (??)and threw snowballs(??)and then stood still and let him get away before fighting Jax(??)

Yeah I remember that scene cracking me up where like here’s this powerful ice god and he’s lightly throwing snowballs at the hood of his car.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The_Rob posted:

Yeah I remember that scene cracking me up where like here’s this powerful ice god and he’s lightly throwing snowballs at the hood of his car.

Yeah let’s not have any of these outlandish characters do anything inventive with their skills,subzero could be throwing ice shurikens or breaking through walls after freezing them,freezing the ground to make people lose their footing.

Nope.
Anyway i’m done whingeing i think i whinged enough.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Cacator posted:

Gorn is a pretty good one. I damaged a light fixture playing it.
Gorn looked to have the same janky floaty feel that Drunken Bar Fight did which put me off trying it. Is the combat more polished, and how is the overall gameplay variety, is it at least above tech demo quality? (Still burned at wasting money on Virtual Ricksanity)

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Raiden- looked like a loving idiot

Raiden acted like a disillusioned little league coach that just wants to get back to working on his car, of course maybe if he could just choose earth's greatest warriors instead of adhering to an arbitrary Born This Way system to lootbox you exactly one random x-men power.

Dollars to donuts the sequel goes Kole Someguy's precocious daughter has an ancient power locked away inside her that is the key to everything and she defeats Shao Kahn with the power of love that makes him explode into a cloud of butterflies.

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Oct 17, 2021

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So the baby is the one who does a babality?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

I’ve never written a script to a movie but i swear to god i’d do one for Mk2021 and it would be better.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
MK has some many iconic levels. The set pieces in this movie suuuuucked

*ends movie with a fight on a frozen loving mma gym*

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Azubah posted:

So the baby is the one who does a babality?

Its like the end of Ernest Scared Stupid except played super grim serious

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

X JAKK posted:

Dollars to donuts the sequel goes Kole Someguy's precocious daughter has an ancient power locked away inside her that is the key to everything and she defeats Shao Kahn with the power of love that makes him explode into a cloud of butterflies.

This would be legitimately better than both this film and the ending of MK11

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Miss Mowcher posted:

MK has some many iconic levels. The set pieces in this movie suuuuucked

*ends movie with a fight on a frozen loving mma gym*

There were iconic locations like

the barn

Sonya's house

Sonya's house redone to look like the MC's house

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If it was more than its about 85 minute run time I'd have been a lot more offended, but it hardly wastes any time on it's crappy stuff and just kinda keeps rolling. Why was there an omniscient third party ring announcer only the audience can hear? Who knows and who cares. The Hat fatality was great.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

no one can convince me that this move wouldn't be improved by excising cole and making this a Kung Lao / Liu Kang buddy movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

well why not posted:

no one can convince me that this move wouldn't be improved by excising cole and making this a Kung Lao / Liu Kang buddy movie

For real, the guy that played Kung Lao loving ruled and they gave Liu Kang some good background too. Cole's background was "guy who sucks at fighting" lol

For the sequel if they're going to keep Cole just have Lewis Tan also play Johnny Cage but then have one of them die in a stunt gone wrong or something and just have Lewis Tan be full on ego maniac Johnny Cage.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Lewis Tan has a pretty good sense of humor, can sell larger-than-life or slightly absurd characters. Why they had to make him into a mumbly, down-on-his-luck Rocky type, I'll never know. He'd have been a great Johnny Cage, another tragedy of this wasted opportunity of a movie.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Just forget this movie existed (like the one before it and for some people the one before that) just do a really big silly armageddon movie.
And no loving family drama,just set up a big bad and his mcguffin everyone wants and everyone fights for it.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 20, 2021

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

For real, the guy that played Kung Lao loving ruled and they gave Liu Kang some good background too. Cole's background was "guy who sucks at fighting" lol

For the sequel if they're going to keep Cole just have Lewis Tan also play Johnny Cage but then have one of them die in a stunt gone wrong or something and just have Lewis Tan be full on ego maniac Johnny Cage.

Cole should die in the first 5 minutes from falling down a well while trying to catch a football, Scorpion pops up above it and shakes his head in shame, nobody talks about him ever again.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Give him the oberyn treatment,via sheeva.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

There’s already family drama in MK going back to MK1 and the brothers Sub Zero *and* Scorpion losing his family. If you want to start with “new” characters an audience doesn’t feel like they need 30 years of game experience to know you have Jacqui and Cassie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
One thing Mortal Kombat has no lack of is characters, especially since they all refuse to stay dead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There’s already family drama in MK going back to MK1 and the brothers Sub Zero *and* Scorpion losing his family. If you want to start with “new” characters an audience doesn’t feel like they need 30 years of game experience to know you have Jacqui and Cassie.

Hell, you've even got Takeda as Scorpion's student/ward/kinda adoptive son. It's such an obvious fit that for the longest time I thought Cole would turn out to be Takeda, but nope just full on Original Character Do Not Steal.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Between the live action and animated movies, I wish the adaptations would just simplify it and gradually add characters and story like the games did. MK1 had 10 characters (including the non-playables), and was a tournament on an island. That's perfectly fine for a movie, especially if you're setting up sequels. Characters who join in the sequels can be background in the first one and then left behind, like how Jax was in the 1995 movie for a minute. Every time they adapt it, they shoehorn in characters and story elements from later games. I'd much rather they pull the curtain back on the lore by layers than present it all up front, and introduce characters organically.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

sticklefifer posted:

Between the live action and animated movies, I wish the adaptations would just simplify it and gradually add characters and story like the games did. MK1 had 10 characters (including the non-playables), and was a tournament on an island. That's perfectly fine for a movie, especially if you're setting up sequels. Characters who join in the sequels can be background in the first one and then left behind, like how Jax was in the 1995 movie for a minute. Every time they adapt it, they shoehorn in characters and story elements from later games. I'd much rather they pull the curtain back on the lore by layers than present it all up front, and introduce characters organically.

Ah, but you see then the director and writers would be transcribing someone else's story and not putting their stamp on it!

I agree with you but that's how this is usually spun. I think because games are closer to movies than books or comic books are - since, you know, games move.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Not sure if it's been posted.....but it does sound like a sequel is in the works.....which rocks.....because I really liked the 2021 version. May as well use the new Mortal Kombat 1(2) to promote it.

https://collider.com/mortal-kombat-2-cast-crew-production-status/

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 26, 2023

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Someone in casting really liked Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Karl Urban as Johnny Cage certainly is a choice. I'd trust him to somehow pull it off, though.

Personally I was pretty mid on the 2021 movie, mostly because they just spent so much time on the largely uninteresting original character do not steal guy. Still though, they do have enough raw talent to make for fun fight scenes, so cautious optimism it is.

e: Decided to rewatch it while it's still on prime and Kano remains the absolute best part :allears:. Hope they'll keep that tone in mind going forwards.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 26, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Perestroika posted:

e: Decided to rewatch it while it's still on prime and Kano remains the absolute best part :allears:. Hope they'll keep that tone in mind going forwards.

It's hard for me now to imagine Karl Urban not bringing some of that rugged The Boys charm, so yeah. He really should be Kano again, though. Just pop up with no explanation, all "Hi, I'm Kano!" and nobody acknowledging that Kano died or looks different now.

And then continue the trend of Kano being the best character.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

John Noble as Kano's dad. Or Kano from the future.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Kano hasn’t been revealed for MK1 yet and I’m kinda hoping we get the 2021 film version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Karl Urban is great and I think he would be a good Johnny Cage. Just be sure that he leans into the goofy aspects of Cage before you learn that oh hey, he actually is one of the best fighters in the world.