Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

nobody has near the volume of ospreay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Super No Vacancy posted:

nobody has near the volume of ospreay

Especially not when he's selling.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MJeff posted:

lmao I said Ospreay was gonna dim in the last quarter of the year and some AEW guys would get a big chance to refine their WOTY campaign and everybody called me crazy.

Did they really? Because I mean, it seemed obvious that Will would dim when the New Japan post-G1 is kinda the doldrums outside of 2 or 3 big shows.

All that said, don't really think anyone in AEW has had a last 3 months of the year that tops Will's first 9 months but :shrug: (assuming we're talking the one that isn't the Lou Thesz Award)

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 29, 2019

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
If we're talking about Most Outstanding Wrestler, the only people who could surpass Ospreay are Okada & Miyahara. Maybe Shingo Takagi.

If we're talking the Thesz/Flair award - which factors in drawing power - I wouldn't have thought Ospreay would be the favorite over Okada or someone from AEW.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Punch McLightning posted:

If we're talking about Most Outstanding Wrestler, the only people who could surpass Ospreay are Okada & Miyahara. Maybe Shingo Takagi.

If we're talking the Thesz/Flair award - which factors in drawing power - I wouldn't have thought Ospreay would be the favorite over Okada or someone from AEW.

Yeah, as it stands I have Ospreay, Takagi, Ishii, Miyahara & perhaps Sareee (what I've seen was super impressive, I've not seen enough to say for certain though) are the names that stand out for Most Outstanding, with PAC also deserving of being in the discussion at least. The poo poo PAC did in every big match he had in Dragon Gate has been great and it blows he's working elsewhere now. But there's no way you can argue Will Ospreay is a big draw. He's not a bad draw but he's just not in a position to draw much outside of BOSJ. New Japan is the Okada & Naito show right now in that regard, with Jericho the most obvious other name (& Cody? I haven't been following AEW closely enough). Despite being the biggest drawing company I don't think you can really say anyone in the WWE is in the conversation, it's all just "The Brand". Which is incredibly boring & counter-productive but that's Vince.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I mean look at WWE attendance and its cratering numbers. Only thing WWE has is its tv deal

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
And blood money.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Punch McLightning posted:

Im fairly sure Will resulted in far higher sales for BOSJ and his G1 main events too. The other reason, and this is important, this year for most of it has been very weak for a singular wrestler to stand tall over wrestling that had Will being the favpurite due to output and growth.

In NJPW Okada's had a relatively (for Okada) down year, Naito is Naito, and Tanahashi is on the way out. WWE is a wasteland with literally no one on top like their main event scene may as well be merged with the midcard.

AEW was the wildcard with people pegging Moxley as the possible wrestler of the year if AEW weekly turned him into the biggest thing. He is huge but AEW and his personality has put Jericho in that position where you do not doubt that he is a xowardly chicken poo poo heel but also hes the man to beat. The Ric Flair comparisons arent incorrect which is funny as Okada is also compared to Flair but theyre so different.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If there was an award for Most Competent Pain In The rear end, Ospreay would be a lock

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Actually wondering if this will be the year we see the Buck dethroned as tag team of the year. Lucha Brothers finally getting more main stream exposure and just being a bit better of the team get my vote for them

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Will actually had a sneaky good drawing year even if he wasn't always working on top in NJPW. The BOSJ final drew a great crowd at Sumo Hall -- which was a legitimate concern going in -- he had multiple G1 main events that did well, and headlined the Anniversary show with Jay White. Outside the company, he was selling out pretty much every indie show he worked, and WrestleCon's Mania weekend show did a record gate with Ospreay/Bandido on top.

While he doesn't have the drawing resume of NJPW's bona-fide Top Guys (read: heavyweights), he almost always delivered when called upon.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The Young Bucks will probably place well even though they really shouldn't because of the people that'll vote for them anyway no matter what - the same reason why Impact won Worst Promotion years after most of the people voting for them stopped watching based on them not having anyone else, the same reason why AAA will probably get votes despite having a good year.

I think AXIS are tag team of the year; been a highlight of recent NOAH, great matches that feel important unlike a certain other Japanese company's tag division, better than anyone else around. I have no idea past them; we'll see what I put together.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn’t say that the Young Bucks have the best resume, but they do have a resume. Their All Out ladder match is one of my top few matches of the year, and their entire series with the Lucha Bros was amazing. Their matches with Ortiz & Santana have been great so far, and they helped Private Party look like superstars. All this, plus they were a centerpiece of founding the first real secondary US promotion in years.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the bucks taking half the year off is gonna give people license to vote lucha bros which is fine with me

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Most Improved is Taichi who has had a better in ring year to Cody and was at a similar level to Cody last year.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

IceAgeComing posted:

I think AXIS are tag team of the year; been a highlight of recent NOAH, great matches that feel important unlike a certain other Japanese company's tag division, better than anyone else around. I have no idea past them; we'll see what I put together.

This is the correct take, AXIS have been terrific, the matches with Sugi & KAZMA in particular. But 10 people outside of Japan pay attention to NOAH.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
the correct take is The Butcher and The Blade

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

the bucks taking half the year off is gonna give people license to vote lucha bros which is fine with me

I'd be cool with Lucha Bros getting the nod especially since they did finally get their 5-star rating.

Ospreay is such an obvious Performer of the Year it's not even close. Wrestler of the Year though, Jericho makes a strong case for his NJPW/AEW work and complete reinvention of himself to get over and have legit great matches especially at his age/dadbod type. He can still remain relevant and do cool poo poo in the ring, he helped both promotions a ton.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Most Improved is Taichi who has had a better in ring year to Cody and was at a similar level to Cody last year.

Taichi's standout matches were both with Tomohiro Ishii, a man who is physically incapable of having a match below 4 stars. Cody completely changed his style of working and in doing so, got a five star match out of a 50 year old Dustin Rhodes. I really like how much Taichi had improved but he has to go to Cody

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pretty sure Lance Archer is gonna run away with Most Improved

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Kenta and Mox gonna get most improved votes because they don't have WWE stink on them anymore.

Legit only WWE guy i can think of that could get that is Buddy Murphy? Maybe Shota or Ren might get it too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
You have to actually improve to get most improved so that crosses out Kenta.

Mox should get it because he went from pooper scoopers to one of the biggest stars in the business.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MJeff posted:

You have to actually improve to get most improved so that crosses out Kenta.

Mox should get it because he went from pooper scoopers to one of the biggest stars in the business.

Being half dead and unused to now is an improvement.

Maybe if teams count you could say LAX/PnP/EYFBO

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Mox didnt improve so much as unleashed.

Cody or Archer are the only two choices.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Wouldn't say Cody's improved actually beyond that match vs Dustin being real good because of the visual effect of Dustin bleeding out and the ending promo. Everything he's done has been hokey Attitude Era stuff

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
His promos have been outstanding and saying what a lot of people still have as their match of the year as "real good because of ... bleeding" is underselling it.

We have what people considered the weakest member of The Elite, yes I'm including Hangman here as pre-2019, who was in it because he had WWE rep backing him, to being the Biggest Babyface in Wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He is also a great candidate for Best Box Office Draw!

https://twitter.com/Manflurry/status/1202802005279948801

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I’ve yet to see the blow off (I’m very excited to see it) but is it crazy that I’m considering Lady Maravilla vs Big Mami for feud of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Rookie of the Year is an interesting award as a Joshi fan since the last three years have been mental with just how many fantastic wrestlers debuted. Some candidates off the top of my head:

Suzu Suzuki from Ice Ribbon has had a very good year and is who'll I'll probably vote for (with one possible alternative): debuted on the 31st December 2018 winning her first match with the famous rookie finisher: a bridging German Suplex she just fit in perfectly within Ice Ribbon. She's very small but uses it to her advantage; being very quick and able to lay stuff in really helps, as does her being naturally very talented at the fundamentals. Got a decent push as well with a good title match against Maya Yuhiki and a tag title challenge as well being the notable matches in her year along with being involved in a million great lower card matches as well.

Mei Hoshizuki from Marvelous is probably the most naturally talented rookie that's eligible: debuted November 2018 (initially meant to debut months earlier but her debut was delayed due to getting injured pre-debut) as part of a group of three incredible rookies that Marvelous have (Mikoto Shindo is the first and the leader of them vaguely but she debuted in August 2018 so isn't eligible; I'll come to Maria later on): all of the Marvelous rookies have fantastic fundamentals, lots of fire and are the ideal of what you want rookies to be and indeed have been heavily featured within Marvelous. Had a genuinely great match last December which I can only describe as a main event rookie-style match against Shindo; it has Hoshizuki's eighth match and Shindo's 20th in the main event of a show and they go out and have a great match using only rookie moves and the crowd were really into it since they like both of them - one funny moment in it was when they both ended up on the outside and the referee started counting as happens in every main event and as soon as the count starts they both freeze and instantly jump back into the ring: since at the time both were new babyface rookies and they have to listen to the referee. What Marvelous did better than everyone with their rookies was very subtle character cross-promotional character development: all three of them wrestle regularly for SEAdLINNNG and they managed to seamlessly incorporate the development of the rookies in Marvelous into the new factions that SEAd created at the same time and it really rewarded following both promotions. In SEAd Mei isn't in one of the factions though; she wrestled in the High Speed Matches (matches with a special ruleset and a special referee, retired wrestler Natsuki Taiyo) and formed a team with Mei Suruga from Gatoh Move and made that sort of style her own: evolving into being a wrestler who'd win with pace and speed and by adding all sorts of rollup combinations and cradles to her arsenal; it rules. She's also formed an alliance with Taiyo; to the point of Taiyo often being... a little biased in favour of her team when she's refereeing. Highlights of her most recent stuff was MeiMei's tag team challenge in SEAd against Yoshiko and Hiroyo Matsumoto which the Meis had politicked into being a High Speed Match: you had them going at a million miles an hour early and really being in control of the match until the more experienced, stronger vets took control and used that power to their advantage. She also had a very good match against Chikayo Nagashima in Marvelous: a really good 8 minute match that tells a simple story but which is very enjoyable.

Maria is also one of the Marvelous rookies and honestly probably technically the worst of the three: you could see it earlier on where she was a step below Shindo and Hoshizuki who looked like naturals from day 1 - still good though. With her though something clicked later in the year; she had a really good match against Nanae Takahashi which led to a little angle afterwards where they wanted her to show some FIGHTING SPIRIT and stuff and then it clicked: she aligned herself with Arisa Nakajima and Las Fresa de Egoistas which is their new heel faction and ever since she's basically wrestled as a heel rookie which is something that's very different and really works with her: it plays to her strengths (various ways of being a total dickhead) while giving her time to improve on the fundamentals. I'm including her here since she's probably the rookie that I've enjoyed seeing develop the most even though she's not necessarily been the best in-ring.

Saya Kamitani from Stardom is worth a mention as well: when she debuted I didn't think I'd include her on this list: she had a flashy dancing entrance but didn't look anything special but in the last few months she's significantly improved and could be really good one day. Her run in the tag league with Saya Iida (who's also a rookie but one I'm not as high on) was very fun; she debuted a running shooting star press as a finisher which isn't a rookie move and since she's getting over the natural awkwardness lots of people start with her. natural athleticism is shining through and while I won't vote for her she's someone I considered - doesn't have any matches at the level of the others though plus I think she might be eligible for next year?

Honorable mention for Lulu Pencil who gets pro wrestling more than most people who've wrestled for over ten years; she knows her own limitations and uses them to actually make the matches she's in better. Her match with Antonio Honda is one of my favourite matches of the year and getting to see her live in London was a massive trip and that match rules as well. Might actually vote for her when I think about it this year: its an in-ring only award and her matches have had a bigger impact on me than any other rookie.