Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
A writer that I follow on Twitter said that a good way to get exposure to POC is to follow people on twitter (and to just shut up and read what they say without replying or arguing). I like that idea, I'd like to have more exposure to PoC, but I'm so Mayonaise white and privileged that I don't have any POC as friends or even acquaintances. Not through any active choice on my part, but that's how it is.

I'd prefer maybe slightly less famous, and obviously witty and sarcastic and willing to be emotionally raw would be nice but. I'm not totally oblivious, I know the names of some POC but they are basically all uber-famous, and I'd prefer to hear about the lives and opinions of people who don't have the privilege.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don't use Twitter

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Huragok
Sep 14, 2011
mr weeks

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

actually reading the op this time and holy moly

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

https://twitter.com/SecretaryCarson

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

realDonaldTrump

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Try going to a church.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

search #khive

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dean of Swing posted:

Try going to a church.

I'm an atheist, and my overwhelming experience of going to church is that the pastor/preacher/whatever is either exceedingly ignorant of what the bible actually says or they actively lie, and in either case I find the experience infuriating. So no, that's not a good solution. Also, I have no idea where the nearest church with POC is, where I live is pretty white (a suburb of Seattle).

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
try joy-ann reid, deray, getfiscal, andy ngo, nyc guido voice, and Russian memes united

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm an atheist, and my overwhelming experience of going to church is that the pastor/preacher/whatever is either exceedingly ignorant of what the bible actually says or they actively lie, and in either case I find the experience infuriating. So no, that's not a good solution. Also, I have no idea where the nearest church with POC is, where I live is pretty white (a suburb of Seattle).
for a self-proclaimed atheist, you sure are looking for people to preach to you

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
just join the DSA op

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

pseudanonymous posted:

Try a church where black people go to. You haven't yet been to a church where black people go to

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get a distinctly weird vibe from the phenomenon of privileged whites seeking out agreeable PoC (or other members of disadvantaged groups) to somehow absolve them of their sinful existence. This happens on this very forum in a way that is very uncomfortable to witness.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

I get a distinctly weird vibe from the phenomenon of privileged whites seeking out agreeable PoC (or other members of disadvantaged groups) to somehow absolve them of their sinful existence. This happens on this very forum in a way that is very uncomfortable to witness.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
it's weird to sign up to a website to oogle black people's conversations. maybe do normal human interactions instead

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

HorseLord posted:

it's weird to sign up to a website to oogle black people's conversations. maybe do normal human interactions instead

Based on his description of visiting a church this is asking a lot of him.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

HorseLord posted:

I mean I don’t live in Seattle but if it’s anything like the super-white areas I’ve lived you would have to basically be hunting down POC on the street to talk to them which kind of seems even weirder.

op there are black comedians on Netflix have you tried that?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OP seems like the perfect person to latch on to every word Roxane Gay shits out on twitter

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared
neera tanden
charlotte clymer
that one grandma who said black people "aint havin no bernie"

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

@RTErdogan

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fat Lowtax posted:

@RTErdogan

@KSAmofaEN for the full truth

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

im p sure malik obama holds the same opinions as every other poc so just follow him

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
Seattle? Just go downtown and buy a homeless person lunch. Alternatively, go pick up two 1 gram joints and have a session with one of them. The secret to talking to PoC and the underprivileged is to A) just talk to them, B) don't take their suspicion of you personally, and C) shut up and listen.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I mean I don’t live in Seattle but if it’s anything like the super-white areas I’ve lived you would have to basically be hunting down POC on the street to talk to them which kind of seems even weirder.

op there are black comedians on Netflix have you tried that?

it’s not Portland, we have non-white people here.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what the hell lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
https://twitter.com/Ahmadinejad1956/status/1167078948481765377

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
hillary clinton

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

https://twitter.com/Presidency_Sy/status/1173213258276311042?s=20

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Pooky posted:

Seattle? Just go downtown and buy a homeless person lunch. Alternatively, go pick up two 1 gram joints and have a session with one of them. The secret to talking to PoC and the underprivileged is to A) just talk to them, B) don't take their suspicion of you personally, and C) shut up and listen.

Does Seattle have homeless shelters or other programs that need volunteers? I assume they do but maybe Amazon shadowrunners hunt down anyone shosing compassion to the poor. Anyway that would probably be a good place to get outside of your bubble and also do something good instead of posting on Twitter

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

A writer that I follow on Twitter said that a good way to get exposure to POC is to follow people on twitter (and to just shut up and read what they say without replying or arguing).
is this what you're referring to? because this person seems like a self-flagellating white lib to me
https://twitter.com/mishellbaker/st...r%3D636%23pti31

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

is this what you're referring to? because this person seems like a self-flagellating white lib to me
https://twitter.com/mishellbaker/st...r%3D636%23pti31

Yes that is the exact post that inspired this thread. It seemed like a very low investment that might yield some results. Obviously innumerable goons have had to chime in with their worthless opinions on the project.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lmao

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
just go read TGRS you dummy

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

growing up in a rich white suburb of one of the wealthiest cities of america but following all the hottest PoC twitter accounts such as Mr. Weeks to get a Full Perspective on the Issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes that is the exact post that inspired this thread. It seemed like a very low investment that might yield some results. Obviously innumerable goons have had to chime in with their worthless opinions on the project.
she is right about one thing: you should definitely shut up