Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes that is the exact post that inspired this thread. It seemed like a very low investment that might yield some results. Obviously innumerable goons have had to chime in with their worthless opinions on the project.

please stop trolling me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

essentially what you are trying to do with this project is build a lexicon of how to speak for PoC without having to interact with them, cloaked in psuedo-woke language like "the best way to be less of a Clueless White Person without demanding people of color expend effort teaching them"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm dead serious when i say "don't use twitter" btw. it attracts loud narcissists of all stripes, including people who cloak their language in social justice to hide that fact. read books instead

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

*reaches for harry potter*

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

i'm dead serious when i say "don't use twitter" btw. it attracts loud narcissists of all stripes, including people who cloak their language in social justice to hide that fact. read books instead

yeah the best way to actually be helpful isn't trying to learn how to appropriate their struggles better but to understand your own role in them. find some books on things like unconscious bias, learn the history of institutional white supremacy in america especially in regards to things that are still going on like defacto segregation in education, racism in standardized testing, the criminal justice system and the war on drugs. the best thing you can be is an advocate against the kinds of things you, a white liberal who doesn't consider themselves really racist, still do on a daily basis based on assumptions you take for granted

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
my advice is, to thine own self be true

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

this is good advice for everyone

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
op looking for some black friends

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes that is the exact post that inspired this thread. It seemed like a very low investment that might yield some results. Obviously innumerable goons have had to chime in with their worthless opinions on the project.

I've seen that thread getting dragged on twitter all day, usually by POC, so coming on the forums and seeing this thread is just so :discourse: I can't believe it's real

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

pseudo trying to learn AAVE easy

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

every time some incredibly stupid tweet has tens of thousands of people liking and RTing it, i tell myself that only 7% of americans use twitter

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

@briebriejoy

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

just join the DSA op

If the OP isn't some weird troll this is legit the best advice, you'll actually meet people face-to-face and you'll get to interact with your local community instead of randos online.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
You could at least do what the sophisticated big boy libs do and read some well regarded novels or memoirs or essays from POC authors. You know, something slightly more longform than a sentence.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really dont know what to tell you because if you're rich and white then you'll never be accepted by anyone who's opinions you apparently want irl so maybe regurgitating some twitter grifters dumb rear end ideas is as close as you really can get.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nobody wants white internet nerds studying their social media accounts
the fbi does it enough already

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/OfficialNOI
https://twitter.com/Julius_S_Malema
https://twitter.com/iamcardib

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

pseudanonymous posted:

A writer that I follow on Twitter said that a good way to get exposure to POC is to follow people on twitter (and to just shut up and read what they say without replying or arguing). I like that idea, I'd like to have more exposure to PoC, but I'm so Mayonaise white and privileged that I don't have any POC as friends or even acquaintances. Not through any active choice on my part, but that's how it is.

I'd prefer maybe slightly less famous, and obviously witty and sarcastic and willing to be emotionally raw would be nice but. I'm not totally oblivious, I know the names of some POC but they are basically all uber-famous, and I'd prefer to hear about the lives and opinions of people who don't have the privilege.

Minorities aren't a loving safari tour you god damned weirdo

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/PrettyBadLefty/status/1174330246658744320?s=19

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

op have you tried making friends?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

yeah the best way to actually be helpful isn't trying to learn how to appropriate their struggles better but to understand your own role in them. find some books on things like unconscious bias, learn the history of institutional white supremacy in america especially in regards to things that are still going on like defacto segregation in education, racism in standardized testing, the criminal justice system and the war on drugs. the best thing you can be is an advocate against the kinds of things you, a white liberal who doesn't consider themselves really racist, still do on a daily basis based on assumptions you take for granted
yeah and i would follow people of color but i'd follow people of color who are also doing cool poo poo and try to do that cool poo poo

such as:

https://twitter.com/kksteffany/status/1174158325237329920
https://twitter.com/kksteffany/status/1133845730861506560

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Sep 19, 2019

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
like i think it's not really what you say, and you don't have to really say very much, but what you do that matters -- and twitter can be useful to follow people (like i said) who are doing cool poo poo so you can learn from them

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
looking for some emotionally raw minorities, but nothing too mainstream please

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i follow some pretty obscure pocs on twitter you've probably never heard of them

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

im not on twitter op, sorry

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
am I allowed to tap the glass or will that frighten them?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 5 days!)

pseudanonymous posted:

go gently caress yourself

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1174380563257417728?s=19

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

just go read TGRS you dummy
i would also suggest posting in there, just for the comedy value that will result from being aggressively patronizing

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i saw that twitter thread by the rich white lady too. i thought it was creepy and racist.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pseudanonymous posted:

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Chads got a good rear end podcast too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Gotta follow em all
Wokemon

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/BenjaminNorton

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gotta follow em all
Wokemon

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
just watch all the seasons of Martin and in living color then how to be a player and all the Friday movies

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Watch every season of Fresh Prince of Belair

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
lol