Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al! posted:

yeah the best way to actually be helpful isn't trying to learn how to appropriate their struggles better but to understand your own role in them. find some books on things like unconscious bias, learn the history of institutional white supremacy in america especially in regards to things that are still going on like defacto segregation in education, racism in standardized testing, the criminal justice system and the war on drugs. the best thing you can be is an advocate against the kinds of things you, a white liberal who doesn't consider themselves really racist, still do on a daily basis based on assumptions you take for granted
yeah and i would follow people of color but i'd follow people of color who are also doing cool poo poo and try to do that cool poo poo

such as:

https://twitter.com/kksteffany/status/1174158325237329920
https://twitter.com/kksteffany/status/1133845730861506560

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Sep 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
like i think it's not really what you say, and you don't have to really say very much, but what you do that matters -- and twitter can be useful to follow people (like i said) who are doing cool poo poo so you can learn from them