Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Karishma's shirt looks like a censor bar in that image

Anyway I look forward to taking forever to actually post about this season with y'all because I'll be too busy watching AEW and The Masked singer on Wednesday nights to do it live :haw:

Oh drat, I didn't even realize AEW was messing with my Survivor-Know It Alls routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its legitimately a taxing question for me now. AEW or Survivor. Who goes live?

Screw WWE, though.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I interpret them as joke quotes inspired by the pre game profiles.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think I live Vince. So he's gonna be a target this week and the old goalie for my team will turn out to be a racist rear end in a top hat or something.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ok, rooting for the giant spitting clam.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

sportsgenius86 posted:

“I want to work with the guy that everyone already wants out” is real solid strategy

"Everyone is sketched out by this guy so I'm gonna go against all of them and tell him because he reminds me of an ex boyfriend of mine" is a winner move, man.

I mean, he's a personal injury lawyer. He's gotta be trustworthy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Has there even been a Grey Poupon commercial in like 20 years?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Bloop posted:

Most Americans only get cumin in a packet of mixed spices called "taco seasoning" or similar

But she was being funny to try and make people like her
I think she was likable. I just didn't know people were still doing that Grey Poupon thing outside the 90s.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

God Friended Me is still on?!

This is gonna be one of those shows that stays on for like 7 years and one day you realize its still on and are just like "So was God running the account?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

It looks like a school project gone wrong! Slapped together the morning of.

Survivor: :effort:

We spent all our money on this idols and Rob and Sandra.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The kid helping the big dude up was a cool moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, cool puzzle but that one team just melted down. That's one of those "not that hard, but totally about keeping your cool and working together" puzzles. And they couldn't.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

It seemed more like they couldn't sort out the puzzle rather than not having the muscle.

They seemed to just get to a point where they were yelling over each other. One guy is like "maybe this is wrong" and another is like "NO! Leave that!" so nothing happens.

How far behind they were and how much the other tribe was cruising probably just sped up the frustration.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I love this "the lesson is don't be a sucker" bit, it's great.

Basically an entire season of Sandra and Rob tricking people into Three Card Monte.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lying about an island someone is likely to get sent to in a day or two seems like a bad idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I only watch CBS for Survivor, but it seems like their entire commercial line up is CBS begging Survivor viewers to watch their other garbage shows.

I mean, that's what any big premiere or event is for.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

If they vote her out I think I'm just going to actively root against the entire tribe.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Still love Sandra.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Good tribe!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It felt like a bit of a mess with the start but I'm always a little lost to the cast for the first few weeks and I was a little distracted. I'll probably rewatch this weekend.

Still I like Vince and Elaine, Sandra and Rob were fun, and the only person who really stood out as unlikable got got. So not a bad start.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, I'm sure they're being paid well but they get to be on TV and do everything they love while everyone fawns all over them and they're staying in nice conditions and not having to do any of the bad stuff about Survivor. Its not a bad gig.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't really knock her for taking the offer. Its an overwhelming situation and Rob had all the leverage. She had no real reason to suspect that she could bargain for a better deal and the whole thing was just so much that I can't say I wouldn't have just said "gently caress it, I want to do this and play Boston Rob, I'm probably not going home this week."

Her misplay was the lie about it. But we'll see if it comes back to bite her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I choose to be nice and just assume they all did hella research and put on a little extra weight before they went on.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't "get" the Family Visits but I totally grant that I have no idea what the pure stress and paranoia and isolation of these games must feel like and what an oasis seeing someone you love and trust must be.

Put me on the side of people who think the tribe made the right call. Molly didn't really seem like a bad person or anything like Noura was insisting but she was obviously in that little cocky clique that thought they were running things. And I definitely think its smarter to cut that poo poo off early before the game becomes a numbers game. Who knows how it will work out but "easy votes" only help you if (a) you're in power or (b) you're in the hole.

The purple tribe is weirdly cliquish and petty but like it can't all be Noura. Jamal was a cocky dick and a whole bunch of people talked about "tribe culture." Also Molly had a really low key bad line in tribal about how it "offended" her that the obvious target felt like an obvious target. Something's weird in that tribe and if the majority of the tribe thought that came down to a cocky cliquish three then maybe it really did?

Other things that amused me this episode:
- Dude declaring on Day 3 that he would get vengeance on his entire tribe because he got blindsided on the vote against a guy he claims he didn’t even care that much about.
- Noura. Everything Noura. She’s a train wreck.
- Those idols.
- Boston Rob being obligated to assure everyone that he and Sandra can’t win the season.
- Rob's trick literally being "did you listen when people were talking to you?"
- That amazing “I don’t have an idol!” show from the lady who actually listened when people spoke.
- “We’re trying to control the game without anyone noticing and I think we’re really impressed with ourselves.”
- “Even a blind man can see that they’re together.”
- Rob and Sandra’s Spy Shack.

Ultimately I’m just incredibly amused by how incredibly amused Rob and Sandra are.

SalTheBard posted:

How did you handle it last night STAC? I ended up watching both on DVR because I fell asleep about 30 seconds into AEW because I was so loving tired.

I watched AEW live, watched baseball and horror for 2 days, and FINALLY got a chance to sit down and watch Survivor because of a boring game. I'm just a little sad that I abandoned my Survivor/Know It All thing. I enjoy that routine. But I think its dead at least until October ends.

Fast Luck posted:

Like, Noura sucks but it wasn't her that got the vote flipped, it was the middle of the tribe who wanted to take over because they didn't like how obviously those other 3 were sitting on top. I do think there were some insecurities involved in targeting Molly, some of the things they said about her being Parv etc were... curious. But big move by Lauren for setting up this flip and putting her faction in power.

I think it was literally that huge rear end smile Molly had. Like the 4th or 5th time I saw it it started to trigger something in me I couldn't quite figure out and it totally was a thing Parv had. So charming, pretty lady putting herself in a power game position with this one thing that stands out... "Next Parvati".

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 4, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At least for me I really do think it was some weird trigger/response. Like once I really noticed that smile and put it together with the "Parv" mentions it clicked and something told me "That Molly is getting away with something and laughing about it with that smile."

The fact that she was in what was apparently a really obvious cocky secret alliance who were trying to control things, and I think that subtextual thing might have factored into them deciding she was the Parv mastermind behind the two guys.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't think anything of it. People have weird or over the top reactions to stuff all the time and they're usually not really hungry, really hyped up by truly unique circumstances, or being followed around by cameras to appear on a major network television show. Some people perform for the cameras naturally. And if I saw a giant as Sandra idol and then she started walking up to me on an episode of Survivor I can't say I wouldn't get silly.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

It's always been tricky to manage threats as ideally use them as shields but we're also at a point where BIG MOVES have been shown to create an immediate domino effect. If you're in a solid position it's really not worth collaborating with an early coup.

I don't think its worth STARTING a coup, but collaborating in one is fine if you can avoid taking the blame/credit. In a case like this Noura and what's his name (Jason?) are the ones drawing attention on themselves and Molly's trio was clearly doing their own thing, so those people in the middle aren't really betraying someone or leading the charge. So if they can make sure any heat just falls back on the people on the fringes then its fine and they not only eliminated a potential threat and put themselves into the possible power position, but they made more "easy" targets.

What I think is funny is what happened isn't all that different from what happened with the first Tribal. A couple of people were designated easy targets by a small group of "leaders", the middle of the tribe talked it out away from the two fringes, things flipped and the "leader" was blindsided along with his closest couple of allies. But in that instance the people at the bottom were likable and the person "running things" was an rear end in a top hat so I don't think near as many people questioned it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A Typical Goon posted:

Maybe I was exaggerating when I said it was super obvious but it strongly reminded me of peoples reactions in Big Brother Canada where they always bring back past 'notable' houseguests and the people flip out, even when they've admitted they've only watched the past season of the show

I bet there's footage out there of at least one survivor walking up to the statues and being all 'who the gently caress are these guys' :confused:

See, even with the BB thing I think there's just simple elements of "OH MY GOD, ITS ANOTHER HUMAN BEING TO INTERACT WITH!" or "OH MY GOD, I KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE ON TV AND THAT'S WHY I'M HERE!"

Obviously production pumps stuff up or stages stuff. But also you're dealing with people who actively choose to be on TV and want to be stars. So they generally probably don't have to be told to play it up for the camera or react to an obvious show moment.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't usually get all "rigged/they're lying to us" but I don't buy that for a second. There's literally nothing Survivor could do or show me that would convince me that Rob and Sandra are roughing it on rice and a home built shelter for 30 days. That's just dumb.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, all that scene shows is them starting a fire. I believe they started a fire.

Maybe they're out there camping instead of staying with Jeff if they really felt it enhanced the idea or just sounded fun. I don't know. But like, they're not out there "Surviving". You can't convince me of that.

But they also might just be putting on a show for the narrative and so Rob can impress his daughters while sipping brandy in an air conditioned room with Jeff. That's way more plausible than the other extreme.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Vince had to just go into that assuming that (a) people were gonna suspect you of having an idol so you might be a target and (b) if you need the idol in three days then you're probably on shaky ground today. You gotta just resign yourself to burning the idol. Then its just a question of whether you tell people so you don't burn them or you keep it quiet to see if something like this is happening so you know who to trust. I'm sad he went but it was his mistake.

I thought it was really dumb for the girls to do this though because of that reason. If Vince had played his idol they would have lost their number advantage over the guys and burned Vince giving the guys a chance to pull him over for real. But the spent so much energy telling us why it made sense for the girls to keep Vince before Tribal that I knew he was a goner. I just sat there cringing with Rob and Sandra.

I have to be honest, i have no idea if this is a good or bad season/cast. I know like 4 of their names. I'm just having too much fun with Rob and Sandra.

And "they're all dead to me" was kind of melodramatic and I can see why the tribe isn't too fond of her, but like she still had the right instinct that they were all dicks showing how they feel about her by showing no concern about the injury. Even if you knew it wasn't a big deal what the hell does it cost you to just go make her feel better? Its a social game, assholes.

Khanstant posted:

I would've straight up stolen some of their food or tools. Not as part of the challenge, just for the thrill.
Yeah, I would have liked to see Vince go full Pearl Islands and steel something important. Assuming you could find it in the dark and get it without much trouble. Sandra and Rob would have respected that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That makes sense. But it still all potentially goes to hell if Vince pulls out an idol and you don't get swapped. I don't really think you can play for twists you don't know are coming. Even if they're decently likely. You gotta play with the factors you can actually see.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I guess the argument for Vince holding onto his idol is the same as the one for the girls risking the vote split backfiring and sending home their numerical advantage: "Maybe we'll get tribe swapped and it would be useful to have an idol/trusting allies".

I just don't much like that argument.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had a pretty gnarly nightmare last week that I woke up from yelling and really shaken. I was running a small fever and had some kind of bug, so like, it wasn't normal, but I doubt Survivors are feeling pretty "normal" when they sleep.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its definitely not something I usually do. Like I said, I was running a fever and sick which definitely had to have been the root of it and how much it affected me.

But I'm guessing people on Survivor run a lot of small fevers and work through a lot of little stomach bugs like I was, along with all the stress and paranoia weighing on their minds. Or like... just the dread of being bit by a rat while you're sleeping or something. As someone who has never slept outdoors a day of my life that always kind of freaks me out about the "If I played Survivor..." thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Also the idea of having him sneak into the other camp was fun but also Rob and Sandra couldn't actually "teach" him anything about that so... lets have Sandra teach him boot camp stuff while Rob laughs.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the combination of Rob and Sandra puffing him up and how helpless and lost Karishma seemed just made him overconfident about what a good game he was playing.

Which is crazy since he was one of the names being thrown out there for the first eviction less than a week earlier. But I guess that vote flip/blindside and the guys coming to him kind of desperate just contributed to his overconfidence.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I do that all the time. I actually caught myself on "a week ago" but missed the "eviction."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They'd have to have some sort of established pt system like any fantasy league. So like 1 pt for each confessional, 5 pts for a tribe victory, 10 pts for a solo victory, 20 for successfully playing an idol, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post as "how do fantasy sports work?" I take it for granted from my fantasy sports days that most sane people just look side eyed at you with judgment if you try and explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

On the other hand you get 50 pts if you render Jeff speechless.

The key to a good fantasy sports league is a wide array of scoring abilities so its not just dominated by QBs and RBs.