Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I’m pretty sure they still do this (maybe not), but past survivors have said that in the sequester lead up to the game production picks out a couple old seasons for them to watch pre-game, either to psych them out for upcoming twists or to give context for poo poo that’s happening.

Based on what we’ve seen, I’m guessing they were given Rob’s win, HvV, and Ghost Island, which would explain most of the reactions we’ve seen to various things so far other than the spices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
In one of the old preview vids, they were talking about being into the idea of seeing just exactly what kind of ridiculous shelter they could create with no pressure, no stress, and a full 39 days with no time constraints. I can see them treating it as a beach vacation -- it wouldn't surprise me if they were living there, but I think there's zero chance they're just living off a cup of rice a day. If I had to guess, I imagine they get full meals and have decent food brought to them on a regular basis, but are still working on their shelter and living on the beach.

Honestly, in terms of prep for All Winners, getting to kind of slowly acclimate back to beach/camp life without being tossed into it from the get go with all the accompanying paranoia is probably a huge plus for them. Some of the upcoming players haven't done this in years and they may not be prepared for how rough it is on them now that they're 10+ years older than the last time they were on the show (I'm thinking Amber, Ethan, Danni, and Yul in particular.)

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I just was able to watch the episode, so forgive me if this was answered in some interview or something, but what do we think Karishma whispered to the women right before the vote?

I'm torn between it being some sort of bullshit nonsense, or some sort of assurance on her part that she worked Vince over hard which is why he didn't play the idol, because that's the only explanation I can think of as to why he'd sit on it.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I’m honestly shocked that in 40 seasons no one in production ever managed to get the okay on Survivor: Gays vs Straights.

You KNOW they’ve been kicking that one around for forever.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, the showmance thing felt a tad overblown to me too. Like, ok. Two pretty people flirting and sleeping next to each other just defaults to "showmance" no matter what happens and the only solution if you're young and pretty would probably be desperately avoiding all the other pretty people or to scar yourself or something. But if that was the most damaging TV evidence they had of a showmance the tribe definitely jumped on that quick.

It really just reminded me of last week's whole "we have control with the girls alliance, so lets split the votes and risk sending home one of our girls" thing. "Lets get out the dude so the showmance doesn't mess with our girls' alliance, ok just vote out the girl then." There's some conflicting agendas here.

I’m just speculating here but I think Elaine is playing a really smart game and is really dangerous and was probably the actual driving force behind that boot.

The whole showmance thing (on air, at least) started because Elaine loudly started yelling about what a cute couple they were and really seemed to be pushing it, then does her whole “Aww gee shucks golly what’s going on this is so weird!!!” routine after talking about their relationship to everyone while happily writing down Chelsea’s name.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
What really boggles my mind is that, contingency plan or not, I do not understand why you would walk into a 4-4 vote so openly smug and confident. Even if you're super sure someone is going to flip in your favor, you still look like assholes and at a bare minimum you're openly telegraphing to your flip vote that you're still a super tight foursome they're not really a part of.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

bagrada posted:

There's only one person with a legit idol that they found in the forest, right? Who was that again?

Chelsea found it and then was immediately voted out with it in her bag.

I can't remember if that means that it's out of the game entirely or if it's been rehidden. She confirmed producers took it from her after she was voted out but if memory serves idols only get rehidden if they're played.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Probable spoiler in the latest boot's exit interview:

Q: You mentioned your plan was get to the final four with Jamal and then battle it out. Were there any other people that you were looking at like, :Hey, these are the two people I want to be sitting next to at the end?”

A: I think Survivor is a very stage-like game in that you can’t plan that far in advance because you have to get there. And that will always be my big critique of Kellee’s big move on me. I’m like “Kellee, you were so concerned about me at the end,” because that’s kind of what she was talking about. You didn’t see it, but I learned later on that was what she was worried about it.

Hard to read that as anything other than them talking it out on the jury together.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

What is Aaron apologizing for? I honestly don't remember him doing it saying anything. I was also tired AF watching it so there is that too.

At tribal he had a big speech about how sexual assault must be made up if the victim doesn't tell every single person they've ever met in their entire life about it, and then yelled at Janet and told her she was playing the victim because she tried to make a big move and failed. It was really gross.

This episode sucked poo poo and I almost don't even want to keep watching the season because if anyone other than Janet wins I'll be furious.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

the oath of the idols says they can't vote

Sandra, smirking as she wins for the third time: "The final lesson is that you should never trust what you read on pieces of paper in Survivor, you dumbfucks."

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah, I’m not watching the rest of this season. Let’s hope S40 comes even close to getting things back on track.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Lmao here comes Varner

https://twitter.com/jeffvarner/status/1204947426471223301

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
On the infinitesimal chance that it’s true that Dan actually did trip and grab a production lady’s leg totally accidentally and unfairly got kicked off for it, it doesn’t matter and it’s still good because he should have been booted by the end of the first week of the game.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah uh I 100% think it was intentional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
This is probably a real deep cut but I truly miss the very early days of Tapewatcher and his insane theories that were all true because he was probably Mark Burnett shitposting