Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So everyone on the cast seems pretty likable other than Ronnie (who's out) and maybe Jason (too weaselly) and Noura (she's got some crazy eyes). Aaron could have douchebag potential, but it's early days.

Don't know if I have any early favourites yet. I like a lot of the women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Khanstant posted:

I could see getting into the box with Sandra and/or Rob to peep on a rival tribal or something being a potential reward. The best scenario would be Rob or Sandra reacting so loud the castaways notice.

I think the idea is that Sandra/Rob peeping in on the TCs is gonna be a secret as long as possible, to keep the contestants from being affected knowing the two of them are watching.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Molly's great and it's a bit of a shame she was cut so early, but there are a lot of great players out there (except Noura) so ah well. Might be good to see her back again eventually. I don't think she really did anything wrong, she just didn't have the Elaine luck of having people ready to defend her from the vote.

I think we know that Noura has no chance of winning, so I'm just going to lie back and see if she's gonna just last long enough (re: Natalie Cole), or last way too long.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

Aside from Franny, have any first boots been on the show again? First boots on their returnee season don't count.

After Francesca, I think the earliest returns were Kelly Wentworth (5th voted out) and Monica Culpepper (4th voted out, 5th eliminated due to the first boot being a medevac).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It could also be 'I want a reason to get people on board with voting her out, let's just compare her to Parvati'.

I don't think any one person has had such an effect on future contestants just even as a comparison.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing if there's any fallout from a second person in the tribe coming back from the island knowing that they were lied to

By the miracle of fate, the only people that end up going all season long are Elizabeth and Kellee. Over and over.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's not huge spoilers but reminder that some people might not want cast spoilers for S40!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Someone pointed out that Vince sneaking into camp probably wasn't as crazy as we might think. They have producers and cameramen walking around all the time, ambient noise probably isn't an uncommon occurrence.

Khanstant posted:

What's the longest before there's been a tribe swap or merge? I seem to recall at least one season where they dragged it out until there was only one person left on one of the tribes, but there might have been other shenanigans going on at the same time. Unless both teams manage to just take turns and stay at relatively equal numbers they probably just have to make a call as it goes or is it usually planned ahead regardless?

A few times there were no swaps at all til merge - just a few examples include HvV, Tocantins and South Pacific.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Binary Logic posted:

Was there a scene of Vince explaining to his tribe what happened at IOI and that Sandra and Rob are there?

There wasn't, but thankfully we have exit press:

quote:

I was gone from the camp for about 24 hours — the whole day. And when I got back, I told them that I went to Island of the Idols and was presented with the game. And in this game I had to memorize five different sets of tiles with animals on them. So the five animals were the crab, the salamander, a bat, a shark, and a jellyfish. So I said I had to memorize five sets of these animals, and then remember all those sets in order and then find those sets at night in order on Island of the Idols and get them all lined up correctly. And unfortunately, due to pressure, I wasn’t able to do that and I had to sleep outside without shelter.

So when I got back I made sure to get little wet so that they thought that I was sleeping outside with no shelter. But then to my core alliance of the women — in particular, Elizabeth, Elaine, and Missy — I told them that I lost my vote on top of sleeping outside. So that was the kind of the deal and I don’t know how they took it. I mean there I was hoping that saying I lost the vote would trigger Elizabeth to say, “Oh yeah, dang, homeboy is telling me the truth.” And that’s why I was pushing the women. Like, we have to vote all five votes onto Tom because I lost my vote.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He also said he was decently tight with Missy/Elaine since they were all LGBT, but I guess that wasn't enough.

Honestly, if we need one thing from the next episode, it would be one of the girls explaining the vote.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, as much as people gave production flak for the given idol, it was still on Rick to give it back.

IoI feels more 'hand of production' though. There's no direct interference, but we don't actually see any of the names being physically drawn out of the bag, and it's strongly implied that the people who go can't/aren't allowed to tell the people back at camp about it. At least with the EoE challenges the producers can't actually make someone win/lose.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zesty posted:

I kind of liked the challenge with the giant hunk of meat though. But even that was sexualized.

They brought it back for South Pacific and it was amazingly gross. People actually hurt their teeth and jaws from that challenge.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Bloop posted:

Can't wait for another No Swap season where one tribe gets down to one badass all alone

Imagine if it’s Noura.

Sadly, since they merge at 13 now it means it’s basically impossible these days.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The sad thing about Chelsea is that if the swap had been done at the usual time (after 3 votes), she would probably have made it pretty far. Decent connections, no real threat level, idol.

But hey, that's just how the cookie crumbles. Can't really say she actively did anything too wrong other than getting too chummy with the tribe idiot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Read through Chelsea's post-press and she's just as baffled by the move as most people watching the episode is.

I do kinda feel bad for her, she'd been applying for six years and taken out by a move that doesn't make a lot of sense on paper. I don't think she's memorable enough to come back for a second shot, but who knows, production has done weirder things before.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, the showmance thing felt a tad overblown to me too. Like, ok. Two pretty people flirting and sleeping next to each other just defaults to "showmance" no matter what happens and the only solution if you're young and pretty would probably be desperately avoiding all the other pretty people or to scar yourself or something. But if that was the most damaging TV evidence they had of a showmance the tribe definitely jumped on that quick.

It really just reminded me of last week's whole "we have control with the girls alliance, so lets split the votes and risk sending home one of our girls" thing. "Lets get out the dude so the showmance doesn't mess with our girls' alliance, ok just vote out the girl then." There's some conflicting agendas here.

Chelsea seemed to rationalize it as the 'take out Vince because nobody is gonna feel bad about it' vote. Keeping tribe unity right before a swap seems to be a good idea, and if you knock out Karishma then you have a very slim chance of the boys teaming up to tie it up.

But yeah, there's absolutely no reason not to kick out Karishma at that point. She's a deserter waiting to happen and the girls already have the majority even without her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There are some decent players on Lairo - Elizabeth is doing the middleperson role really well as far as we can tell, and Missy seems to be pretty eloquent; she must have been able to do SOMETHING to swing Elizabeth and Elaine.

The problem is that this move made very little sense other than 'we can't just make an easy move all the time!' with no long-term planning.

Missy is really going to need to do a lot of damage control with Dean.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

If they brought back Hali Ford and Sierra Dawn Thomas, Chelsea has a pretty decent shot

Those two at least made the merge, though.

There have only been a handful of players brought back who were originally pre-merge. I think Francesca, Wentworth, Colton, Michaela, Russell Swan? And most of them had a hook or story to bring them back.

Chelsea doesn't really have anything other than 'surrounded by slightly inept players'.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, Chelsea's just kind of a cool fan (judging by some of her responses):

You didn’t get to find out about what the titular Island of the Idols really was until after the game. From a superfan’s perspective, what was your reaction?
(Laughs.) I found out from Vince when I first got back to Ponderosa. I was like, “Are you [expletive] kidding me?! This is what our season is! I’m barely going to get any airtime, and now I’m really not going to get any airtime!” As a superfan, I was like, “drat, I wish I would have gotten to meet them!” (Laughs.) But from a player perspective, I thought it was cheesy! (Laughs.)

So she's kinda neat. But I don't see her being high on the 'come back' list.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
A goat is only good if they're your goat.

Karishma is going to flee the flock as soon as the gate's open.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Never had Applebee's but I can only imagine whatever drinks they would be having would have way too much alcohol and sugary syrup to be good for you when you've been subsisting on rice and water.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lampsacus posted:

How about they take a tip from season 6 - amazon where to prep the tribe for an immunity challenge they gave them spears and blow darts.

e: two good things about amazon: cast members are comfortable to wander off and do stuff like fish all day. there is this slow quiet to the whole adventure. and secondly, stuff like big spider bite reactions (she couldn't bend her knee). and piranhas biting deeply into fingers is super common and weirdly casually dealt with. like i'm sure the medics looked at them behind the scene but injuries are rarely their own beat. its more like 'oh yeah also while building the shelter he cut his leg a bit'.

The camp conditions are a lot 'safer' now since they want to focus more on gameplay and less on the actual survival aspects. The water wells have purification tablets in them so they don't even have to boil it, for example.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, I'm not sure anyone on Vokai other than maybe Kellee/Jamal/Jack are rootable at the moment. The winner might be from Lairo.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The vote block has only appeared once before and the vote steal only twice, so it's not surprising that it might not have occurred to them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think this was a really, really good episode. Contrast it to the penultimate premerge episode of Game Changers which was like the beginning of the slide to... well.

I think this was actually a good move for Kellee? Dean probably feels some sort of loyalty to her now (and really, he's got nobody else to lean on at the moment). She can cover her tracks. And I think she has enough people backing her that even the NOTS bringing up her name isn't making me scared of her.

I do think taking out Jamal would have been smarter. Buuuut we've seen people like Jack skate their way to the end before. We don't usually get a Jamal that slides under the radar that long.

As for Jamal playing the idol on Noura... I think it's twofold. First, Dean is clearly anti-Noura, so it makes sense that Dean would want to take her out. Jamal and Dean could still form a guy-alliance down the road, so the chances are less that Dean takes out Jack or Jamal. Also, this kind of strengthens the bond between them, because it's a bit rocky but they still want her for numbers.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Kellee perfectly reasoned out why getting Jack or Jamal out would be fine for her. Kellee finds it harder to work with Jamal and he won't likely to take her to the end, but while Jack's a good ally and she can work with him, he's also extremely charming and could very well find himself with a number of options at the merge, which might not include her.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Nah, I think it's perfectly valid right before a merge - there's a lot of instability that comes with it and the more possible allies you have going in, the better. Once a vote or two has passed that goodwill might wear off, but with any luck alliances will have semi-stabilized and you know what the next best move for you is.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Vokai is still up 7-6. Heck, it's effectively 8-5 since Karishma has no loyalty to her original tribe. Possibly even 9-4 since Dean also has no loyalty to his original tribe.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dean doesn’t like Noura, and Jack and Jamal floated the idea of working with him so presumably they’re
lower risk targets.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Post-press:

Holmes: When you get to the immunity challenge and see that Jason is gone, did you think that would strengthen your classic Vokai bonds?

Nichting: We’re at this thing and we see that he’s gone and Tommy, Lauren, and Dan are looking at us, pleading for us to throw the challenge. I’m pretty sure Kellee wanted to throw the challenge and Janet thought about it. But Jamal and I were like, “No.” Because the only way to guarantee that you’re moving forward is to win. This game has to be selfish. It has to be about us. If one of them is gone, we can still figure it out.

Hahaha.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Or someone (Dean or Noura) told him that's why Kellee wanted him gone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Assuming Karishma is already there I think he'd win right now against Noura, Tommy, Lauren, or Dan. But between then and now I can see at least the first three passing him (Noura seems like someone who can fly under the radar and win a couple of immunities and she's shown at least a little bit of strategic sense).

Also I really want to know what Karishma's case is because I'm reminded of Julie last season where people kept trying to tell me why she could win even though I kept calling her the goatiest goat and then she got zero votes at FTC.

Karishma's best defense is 'I was targeted the entire game and I survived' but uh, I don't think that really flies especially when she had no agency in surviving.

Also there's an entire merge left so it's pretty hard to say who anyone beats at the moment. I mean, I'd count Karishma out but anyone left still has a lot of game left to play.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

The Bloop posted:

Eh Survivor is separate from Burnett

As to the other thing, not defending it, and maybe I'm just a dunce on this front, but it feels like that's both lessened somewhat and certainly balanced with male cheesecake and junk shots

It's only just hit me that Australian Survivor is much more gratuitous with the male junk/butt shots, and very little on the other end (though it's not like they don't cast unattractive women, either). Of course, they do it in a lot more of the cheeky way.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wow, okay, a lot to unpack here.

This, thankfully, isn't remotely the ugliest episode Survivor has done. We've seen it with Varner. We've seen it with Richard and Sue. We've seen it with Brandon Hantz.

At the very least, production seemed to be as respectful as they could be about the whole thing while giving the players autonomy. They didn't hide it or anything either.

It's going to be pretty hard to root for a lot of people left on the tribe. It's also notable that most of the men other than Dan were barely in the first episode.

Urgh, the fact that the main rootable people left other than Janet are Karishma and Noura. It's kind of amazing.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think (or like to think) that Elizabeth wasn't aware of how much Kellee was affected by Dan and that she would have done something otherwise. But man, I would not want to be her (or Missy, or Aaron) on social media for a while after this episode.

Also, I'm torn on whether I want Dan to be voted out immediately but then Kellee has to see him every day at Ponderosa, or he gets purpled and dragged to the end but gets more prize money out of it. Urgh.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I do think that Janet makes it very difficult to completely buy innocence, since I get that it's Survivor and all, but you could not think in Missy/Elizabeth's shoes that Janet was 'playing' Dan during the four-way confrontation on the beach.

It's very difficult for them in a game position, because immediately turning around and going, 'You're right, Janet, Dan, you're vile and I wish we voted you out last night' wouldn't be what I'd have expected, either. But I think the fact that they both immediately stayed and comforted Dan instead of Janet says something, despite the heat of the moment.

I'm gonna give the rest of the season the smallest glimmer of hope (maybe), since Aaron was really sincere in his apology and I'm really hoping that Dan takes some very important lessons from this. But Tommy/Lauren have not been reacting well to this on social media and I think Missy hasn't said anything (last I checked).

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I dunno about Tommy’s apology since it still has a bit of the Aaron ‘if I’d known I’d have done something about it’ air at TC, but eh.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dan is just on a social media embargo right now. Plus I’m sure he’s doing a lot of damage control with his clients.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Aaron also made a part 2 of his apology:

https://twitter.com/ACM_Fitness/status/1195042322322534400

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To absolutely nobody’s surprise, Varner is on Dan’s side. And he’s only watched the last episode, so he is clearly qualified to give an opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's also a tricky situation where even if Kellee says 'it's fine', there's a responsibility of the producers to look after its players. We've seen multiple medevacs where the player were proclaiming that they were fine, and the doctor goes, 'no, you're not, for your own safety, I'm the expert and we're pulling you out'.

Of course this is a slightly different situation, but if an expert decided that it was too dangerous, they should have pulled out Dan regardless.