Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I really enjoyed Kellee's little rant about "all-women alliances" because it is an annoying thing that crops up all the time as this bogeyman. Sometimes sure, people do flirt with the idea, but so often there's no substance to it. So Kellee putting that argument out there was pretty cool because of the meta, recursive way Survivor strategies work meaning that people actually listen to that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've only watched half the episode (or one of the two episodes? I guess?) and enough of the next bit that I can see how the chips are going to fall and all I can say is UGH

Can't wait to see Kellee return in a couple seasons I guess, and hopefully almost none of the rest of the cast who are left!!

I had noted that throughout the season they kept coming back to Dan being touchy-feely and I thought they were going to come back to it at some point but, and I repeat myself, UGHH.

edit: the fact that Dan is a talent manager specifically really grosses me out. He probably works with a lot of young women!!

editing again to add that I saw someone mention the "turkeyslap" incident from Australian Big Brother and I remember being pretty shocked by how little people cared about that at the time. They got kicked out of the house, but there was almost zero recognition from anyone that it was anything other than "a bit of fun." I was I think 11 or 12 at the time? So yeah, a great time to be a young girl in Australia!

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 14, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm probably only watching this season now for the good Sandra content

see:

https://twitter.com/SandraDTwine/status/1194811711523561472

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I do feel a little bit bad for Missy here because I think she was being very genuine about feeling uncomfortable with Dan in that conversation with Kellee, and then Lauren coming to her immediately after and saying that Kellee was gunning for her rocked her a lot and made her suspicious of Kellee.

And then after the vote when Dan approached her and Elizabeth, I can see that she may have not quite known how to say directly to Dan "yes you make me uncomfortable" and panicked and denied it, and then things snowballed really hard, combined with the strategy aspects of it. She definitely made mistakes and should apologise to Janet, but I can see how she ended up there.

Elizabeth I have no real justification for.

edit: Janet and Kellee have tweeted about it:

https://twitter.com/Carbin39/status/1194954120442105858

https://twitter.com/kellee_kim/status/1194939056519430144

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 14, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

AdmiralViscen posted:

Production should have removed Dan from the game.

Yeah I do think that, rather than asking Kellee "if you want him gone, you can tell us," they should have taken that as her telling them, and made the decision themselves. Leaving it up to her in that way was not good.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I mean they remove people for medical reasons that completely gently caress up alliances. Don't see why that would be a factor. Although, I can see why it would be difficult for production to remove somebody in this situation. Like if they remove somebody for touching someone now, will they do it next season? Will a castaway be able to just start throwing accusations around to get someone removed from the game?

I feel like that's a stupid thing to ask since one of the issues with these past two episodes was that people were playing up accusations to some degree and we can see the consequences of that now.

And additionally, everything's on camera and there's production everywhere.

There's no cause for that kind of fearmongering.

"Since they remove people for getting injured, what's stopping someone from injuring a player to get them removed from the game?"

A lot! A lot is stopping them!

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

There's literally footage they showed these past few episodes of Dan bearhugging various women as they sleep.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

TheCenturion posted:

I just don’t think it’s up to a bunch of men to tell a woman how to feel and what an appropriate action is, especially when the woman in question is making choices based, partially, on making a million dollars.

I mean, that's also part of the issue, as Kass tweeted and was discussed in a post a page or two back. There need to be more women in the crew who can see these things in a different light potentially to the men, or at least make women playing more comfortable.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

He also talks about the production meeting they had:

quote:

Our “production talk” came about 10 minutes before our Immunity Challenge. My experience in that talk was this: “Aaron, we want you to know if you don’t feel comfortable or safe, please know we are here for you. We want everyone to feel safe out here.” Very out of the blue. I thought to myself, “Is this standard? Do they do this every season?” I have no clue. Just a very vague blanket statement telling me if I ever felt unsafe, I should let production know. Roger that guys, now can I go focus on winning immunity? There was never any indication that something was going on or that someone had issues. It just seemed like a standard halftime meeting.

Obviously they weren't about to tell uninvolved players about the incident so the vagueness isn't too surprising, but the fact that he says it was basically right before an immunity challenge makes it sound like they did not give it the required amount of time.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah you're right, they did the absolute bare minimum and then presented it as though they deserved a clap on the back for their great effort.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like in another season where we didn't have all these bigger issues we would have noticed that Dean basically screwed Kellee over and is more or less responsible for her being blindsided the tribal after she saved him.

Yeah lol it's very cold-blooded of him but he potentially also judged it pretty well that a) Kellee wouldn't be the type to really hold it against him, and b) no one else knew about their little alliance so it wouldn't blow back on him.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It was funny though when Jeff got all disappointed about the lack of reactions to the breakfast reward. Come on guys, you can't fake anything for his ego?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Man, the way Karishma goes out of her way to say she thinks that all the people who were bullying her are genuinely good people, and attributes it to island groupthink and mob mentality just goes to show that she is a very generous and kind person. She's immediately offering them all an out, and an easy way to apologise with "You're right, that's not me, I got caught up, etc etc."

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Let's hope they just replace it with a half-hour performance from Sia

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

it's fun going back to the preseason quotes now that I know who people are.

do we really believe Noura has never done a drug?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

freeman posted:

She probably says that because no doubt she constantly gets asked what she's on.

yeah true, I can buy that she's just naturally on a high all the time

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Bring back reem for second chances 2 but make it also edge of extinction 3 as a nice surprise for her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

wait actually

make Reem host of edge of extinction