Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Karishma's shirt looks like a censor bar in that image

Anyway I look forward to taking forever to actually post about this season with y'all because I'll be too busy watching AEW and The Masked singer on Wednesday nights to do it live :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SalTheBard posted:

Goddamit. NXT, AEW and Survivor will be fighting for my Wednesday night viewership

Only one of these shows has a dinosaur that does lucha and also has a masters degree

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sportsgenius86 posted:

lol At least Elizabeth got bailed out on the no vote thing. So she basically lied for nothing.

Lying for nothing would mean they found out about her non-vote. Nobody knows so that's still what she lied for.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/JeffProbst/status/1179496241614508038

this just popped on my twitter feed, can someone explain what spoilers he's talking about? In spoiler tags, obviously. e: though if they're pretty major just say that and don't post them

e: two more tweets

https://twitter.com/JeffProbst/status/1179496339501129728

https://twitter.com/JeffProbst/status/1179496607668195333

He seems a bit upset, though I guess deservedly so

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 2, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh right, I do remember seeing that one now during the Vikings game and thinking "oh so that's who's going, ok then"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm not STAC but as someone who had the same problem, I watched AEW Live, then watched The Masked Singer and Survivor on DVR. Being able to skip commercials for reality TV owns an awful lot I must say.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Khanstant posted:

Naw, even Jeff seemed taken aback. Maybe they were all a bit eager for a big reaction, but straight up, spices is one of the best rewards. If anything it's just kind of early, two days isn't really long enough to get sick of coconut and rice. Coconut and rice are loving delicious, but anything gets old after too much of it for a while.

Question for you Masked Singer fans, are y'all just suckers for singing competitions or does that show specifically do something interesting beyond that? Obviously they mask the singer, but other than it's just people singing right? It keeps coming up here, usually in the same breathe as wrestling, which I don't watch but understand watching. I'm just curious and it keeps coming up in this thread, in that manner. If it's masked singers duking it out, that'd make a lot of sense, but if it's just people singing idgi

It's fun to try and guess who's behind the mask and also see famous people just sort of let loose because nobody knows it's them. The whole show just sort of has this addictive energy to it that I've never really got from other competitions, it's more of a talent show vibe than a competition since I don't think there's an actual prize other than a trophy.

Also what other show is gonna give me a chance to hear Gladys Knight sing songs by Sia, Bruno Mars and Miley Cyrus

edited in some video links

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 4, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm looking forward to seeing if there's any fallout from a second person in the tribe coming back from the island knowing that they were lied to

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So I completely forgot about the preview telling us someone was gonna gently caress themselves up and as soon as I saw how Karishma was holding the knife I was like "oh my god girl you're gonna stab the gently caress out of your hand what are you doing" and then welp

Vince got really cocky and it was kind of hilarious watching him get blindsided.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Binary Logic posted:

Demonstrating how to crawl on sand was kind of a waste of time and irrelevant to how she won twice. Shannon Gaitz was correct -they're not mentors, they're producers doing things to make an entertaining tv show.

I think the point was that they had to waste time anyway because it needed to be night time for his challenge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Vernacular posted:

Yeah.

It’s just wild. Fresh back from your trip to Suspicion Island with an idol that has a half life of two tribal councils, but you don’t use it. Really needs to be emphasized as one of the worst moves in recent Survivor history. What (non-)moves have been worse over the past few seasons? I’m honestly drawing a blank.

Full life of two, half life was one. I can't imagine not busting it out first chance when you might not even get the opportunity again, unless you were going to bluff with it down the line (which Vince never indicated was a plan in his exit interview that I saw)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

Drafted last night with some friends. Snake draft.

I don't know what any of this means. You drafted for fantasy survivor, that much I can get, but how do you score points/win?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

They'd have to have some sort of established pt system like any fantasy league. So like 1 pt for each confessional, 5 pts for a tribe victory, 10 pts for a solo victory, 20 for successfully playing an idol, etc.

Well yes, clearly, but I want to know what they are

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thank god for AEW because if I was watching this live I wouldn't be able to fast forward through all the god awful Noura segments

She's going to hang around all season just to spite me

Getting unanimously sent to the bench was wonderful though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Binary Logic posted:

Boston Rob's offer was ridiculous. Noura had to get her tribe to make her the caller and then LOSE for her to be able to use the advantage. But if they lost she'd be an easy boot and blocking one person's vote wouldn't save her.

I think he's actively trying to get people to not take the first offer so they can learn the lesson about negotiating but it's not going so well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sand Monster posted:

The problem I'd have with this is that there's really no way for the player to know that they could negotiate a better offer, unless there is something to that effect and we're just not being told about it.

It's like... if Jeff offers a reward at a challenge ("Worth playing for?")... beyond the very first season, no one has ever been like, "Nah, I'll pass, what else can you offer, Jeff?".

How is someone supposed to know that they can reject Rob's offer and negotiate for something better? He improved the offer when Kellee hesitated, but it wasn't a negotiation as much as him just trying to get her to take it by improving his offer.

They're not but you could also just be smarter and not take the ridiculously bad first offer.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sand Monster posted:

My point is, how do they know that the deal would be improved if they say no? There's nothing to suggest that the offer can be negotiated. For all they know, if they reject the first offer, Rob and Sandra tell them, "fine, go back down to the water and get in the boat and head back to your camp". Faulting people for not negotiating when, again, we're shown nothing to suggest that negotiating is possible, is odd.

To be perfectly clear I am generally faulting them for taking the incredibly bad initial offer even under the assumption that there is no negotiation.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

they were also worried about Vince having an idol and wanted to flush it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

Super Mega Rich -> Rich -> Landlords -> Scalpers

Guillotine order.

:sherman:

:hai:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

she's bad at every job. no matter where they put her, she'll gently caress it up. she's a deer in the headlights 100% of the time. she nearly bled to death because she curled up into a ball when she sliced her hand open cutting a loving piece of fruit.

"cutting" is a pretty generous way to describe what she was doing but yeah

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Propaganda Machine posted:

Not without a loving bloomin' onion it isn't.

....was there a bloomin' onion?

Bloomin' onion is Outback

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

So last night I decided that Rob and Sandra's giant heads are actually cabins and that's where the two of them have been living this whole time.

The eyes are windows.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pinterest Mom posted:

Does Aaron not realise he's the first one out at the merge if he flips??

Aaron is out after the merge as soon as one side decides they have the numbers to cut him anyway. Elaine will probably get the Christian treatment once they get to 7 or 8 remaining.

I actually had Jason pegged to go pretty far so him being the boot surprised me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nerox posted:

It was funny how quickly their facade of “willing to go to rocks” faded as soon as Elaine showed the advantage.

Also, this was a dumb idol island challenge. If she was spotted pulling the advantage, who cares, they could’ve learned it wasn’t a 4-4 vote a little earlier.

That gives them time to scramble though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Fast Luck posted:

I’m right there with you but that does make Jason a pretty good pick for the target.

Oh yeah, Aaron even talks about in his confessionals needing to see past this vote and he was 100% the right target in this case. I was just surprised that they did it.

And agreed on the Elaine thing. It's not the same as Noura because of the sand.

I wonder how many episodes left until the merge. Is it usually at 11ish? I should know by now but I always forget. I was also looking at the OP to try and parse who I think have the best chances to win and was surprised at how many of them I just can't actually remember much about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Okay, can somebody tell me why knowing an ex is meaningful? Because I don't have much fondness for my exes, and I'd play it up if I had to on Survivor but it would mean zilch to me.

You're looking at it from a perspective of normal life instead of a perspective of a cutthroat game where you literally have less than a dozen options of people to talk to and work with. It's a common connection and those can be very hard to find in the situation they're in.

Maybe I'm a bad fan, but I hadn't even noticed Jack until tonight. But from what I saw, he was an excellent pre-merge target. He got about two seconds of screentime tonight and I was charmed. If (and only if) Kellee's singular goal with her move tonight was to get Jack gone I would be totally on board. Again, I think she was talking herself into things and didn't have the clear goal of getting Jack gone. It's a bit like she made a good move in spite of herself.

Did you miss the whole racial divide thing between him and Jamal last week then or :confused:

I'm at a point where I think Jamal has a good chance to make it to final tribal but get shredded by the jury. He can still win if he's against the right people though. Karishma is a lock for final tribal goat now that they hit merge.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I was actually on a call with a friend while I watched last week (bad fan). I didn't know who Jack was, but I sort of narrated that whole scene to my buddy because I felt such immense fremdschämen watching it. I wasn't posting but I'm with whoever pointed out that we didn't really see Jack apologizing in any meaningful way, but Jamal seemed satisfied so we should probably go with that. Anyway, I guess it illustrates Jack's social prowess if he can say poo poo like that and mollify the situation anyway.

I'm genuinely enjoying this season a lot more than anything in recent memory, but the shittiness of some recent seasons definitely put me on autopilot and made me less attentive than I used to be. For instance, I've all but quit listening to Rob's podcast (though I'll have to check out the Coach episode Sweet Jahasus mentioned; love me some Coach). But listening to overanalysis is pretty much how I kept everybody's names straight in the past.

Who do you think Jamal wins against? Other than Karishma (who I think would go into FTC with a very solid case).

Assuming Karishma is already there I think he'd win right now against Noura, Tommy, Lauren, or Dan. But between then and now I can see at least the first three passing him (Noura seems like someone who can fly under the radar and win a couple of immunities and she's shown at least a little bit of strategic sense).

Also I really want to know what Karishma's case is because I'm reminded of Julie last season where people kept trying to tell me why she could win even though I kept calling her the goatiest goat and then she got zero votes at FTC.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bigass Moth posted:

I'm allowed to dislike things you don't.

MLYP

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That's just Zesty being Zesty, you'll learn to ignore it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zesty posted:

Also what was it that Rob said he could give Janet? Some "Get out of Tribal Free" card? More weird advantages that aren't actually advantages.

Yeah, basically it removes her from tribal after the discussion but before the votes, so she can't vote but also can't be voted for. Or at least that's how I parsed it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

After catching up on the thread all I can really add is that this episode made me feel gross and I'll probably still watch but it's also probably back behind masked singer in viewing priority.

I don't even know who to root for anymore :rip:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I hope a bunch of his clients speak out against him after this episode and it causes CBS to pull him from the reunion as a result.

Even better if he ends up in the final three (which I expect at this point because half the jury will be poisoned against him) so they have to address why he isn't there

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

can one of you brave souls go to reddit and tell me their reaction to last night

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lone Goat posted:

Nobody here wants to read that poo poo, just go there yourself if you want to gawk.

Look there's a reason I asked for a brave soul because maybe one person is willing to do it

vvv that's actually a lot more than I expected out of reddit thank you vvv

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 14, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aerox posted:

At tribal he had a big speech about how sexual assault must be made up if the victim doesn't tell every single person they've ever met in their entire life about it, and then yelled at Janet and told her she was playing the victim because she tried to make a big move and failed. It was really gross.

This episode sucked poo poo and I almost don't even want to keep watching the season because if anyone other than Janet wins I'll be furious.

lol you're overdramaticizing it by a lot

He said (not shouted) that he didn't think it was a problem and that Janet was trying to make it a bigger thing than it was for gameplay reasons because if it was an actual issue then the women would have told all the guys in the tribe about it too, then Jamal shut him down about why that was dumb. I feel like it was more out of ignorance than malice.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nerox posted:

With Elizabeth being an olympian, I am more shocked she didn't think of the bigger picture since I am sure she is friends or at least acquaintances of someone affected on the US Gymnasts team.

My reaction is the opposite, because she's an olympian it wouldn't shock me if she's got a "don't rock the boat" mentality and has been desensitized to stuff like that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

JesusSinfulHands posted:

(image is too big, just click the link)
https://i.redd.it/nstfnoafhry31.jpg

jesus what a poorly placed ad beneath that

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

The way they described it they gave everyone a refresher on the "code of conduct" and then pulled Dan aside and specifically told him this was his "warning". So he was either lying when he insisted he had no idea or he just did that narcissistic thing where you assume everyone is getting a warning because of some other person.

It's the latter, and you could tell by how he acted and spoke at tribal. He legitimately doesn't understand what the problem is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

There was a preview for the next episode during football just now and outside of the very start of the commercial where they show a zoomed out view of everyone lined up at the challenge, Dan was the only one who wasn't featured in some way in it.