Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

BlazetheInferno posted:

Wait wait wait, I missed a Shadow of Mordor LP? Where was this?! Can I get a link, by any chance?

Yeah, it was right over here... https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890383

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Nalesh posted:

You've seen nothing yet, actually grabbed this game due to the SoM lp and holy hell you can move after a few upgrades.
Watched the latest video, and I begin to see what you mean. :allears: The loving ghost somersault is very silly.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm down for opening loot boxes like crazy, because sometimes there's some really weird things you can get on weapons. Like the dagger I got that catches enemies on fire around the guy you stealth kill. I carried that dagger around with me for far longer than it was really useful for.

It set dudes on fire. How is that ever not useful??

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Yapping Eevee posted:

The loving ghost somersault is very silly.

When Talion wants to go somewhere, his attempt to get there kinda gets spirited away.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I wonder what it looks like to others when Talion literally ghosts his way across the cityscape now? Before, it was pretty much exclusively orcs and prisoners (with a few exceptions) bearing witness to his magical murder teleportation, but now he's just doing sick ghost flips in mid air.

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

Shei-kun posted:

I wonder what it looks like to others when Talion literally ghosts his way across the cityscape now? Before, it was pretty much exclusively orcs and prisoners (with a few exceptions) bearing witness to his magical murder teleportation, but now he's just doing sick ghost flips in mid air.

I imagine it looks a bit like your avatar.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

refuse to believe anyone has the storage to actually install and play this game

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Fuligin posted:

It's a ninety GB orc soundboard with ten GB of game nailed on.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I have been doing "Celebrimbor performs ordinary task" voice routines in my apartment for awhile now, not for any particular reason, but just because his very selfserious voice is hilarious.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Fuligin posted:

I've had it installed since release so I've never thought about how big the game is.

But then I have a 2TB hard drive dedicated to LP stuff... so... wait, why am I not putting this on my SSD for the LP?! HUBRIS!

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So is Minas Tirith referred to as Minas Anor in this game or the previous one?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

bony tony posted:

I have been doing "Celebrimbor performs ordinary task" voice routines in my apartment for awhile now, not for any particular reason, but just because his very selfserious voice is hilarious.

"Time to do the dishes, but after I really must find that palantiiiiir."

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Veloxyll posted:

It set dudes on fire. How is that ever not useful??

It was level 30. By 50 it just wasn't cutting it ( :v: ) and I had other ways of bursting groups of orcs into flames.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cooked Auto posted:

"Time to do the dishes, but after I really must find that palantiiiiir."

"Folding laundry will not save us. The Palantir is our only hope."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It was level 30. By 50 it just wasn't cutting it ( :v: ) and I had other ways of bursting groups of orcs into flames.

If I remember right you can burn a higher-level item to upgrade a lower one to its level.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Don't really get why the Palantir is so important. It's basically just.a telephone. Sauron could and did use it to corrupt the other holders, but that's not really going to help the T&C show in the near or even medium term

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

C-Man thirsts for all things of dark power.

Probably thinks he can beam thoughts into and out of orc heads with it.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Bruceski posted:

If I remember right you can burn a higher-level item to upgrade a lower one to its level.

The final round of patches made it so you can bump up items to your level with the elf coins.

"Talion! We must install an elf coin miner on the Palantir!"

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Bar Crow posted:

The final round of patches made it so you can bump up items to your level with the elf coins.

Really? poo poo... maybe time to dive back in.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Slaan posted:

Don't really get why the Palantir is so important. It's basically just.a telephone. Sauron could and did use it to corrupt the other holders, but that's not really going to help the T&C show in the near or even medium term

You can use it to see things far away, not just communicate with other palantir holders. Yeah it's the communication part that wrecks Denethor in Return of the King, because while the palantir cannot be made to show outright fabrications, the inherently linked nature of the palantir allows the other holders of the palantir to somewhat influence what is shown. Denethor thinks he's controlling what he sees, but in fact what he's seeing is what Sauron permits him to see, because Sauron's force of will is about a billion times stronger than Denethor's, so he just makes it show Denethor images of Sauron's strength and triumph, like the huge armies massing to march on Gondor, or the massive force currently besieging the Lonely Mountain to the north, but Denethor thought he was was using it for instantaneous long-distance perfectly safe information gathering, which is a heck of a strategic advantage to have.

Mzbundifund fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 20, 2019

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bar Crow posted:

How long until it catches fire? :v:

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Mzbundifund posted:

You can use it to see things far away, not just communicate with other palantir holders. Yeah it's the communication part that wrecks Denethor in Return of the King, because while the palantir cannot be made to show outright fabrications, the inherently linked nature of the palantir allows the other holders of the palantir to somewhat influence what is shown. Denethor thinks he's controlling what he sees, but in fact what he's seeing is what Sauron permits him to see, because Sauron's force of will is about a billion times stronger than Denethor's, so he just makes it show Denethor images of Sauron's strength and triumph, like the huge armies massing to march on Gondor, or the massive force currently besieging the Lonely Mountain to the north, but Denethor thought he was was using it for instantaneous long-distance perfectly safe information gathering, which is a heck of a strategic advantage to have.

Sauron's power is also vast enough to get into someone's head through a Palantir if the person on the other end isn't particularly strong-willed, like with Pippin right after the group's visit to flooded Isengard. Unfortunately, while Denethor was able to resist Sauron's more overt attempts to break him, Sauron is very skilled at manipulation.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bar Crow posted:

"In order to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies, we must allow access to our contacts, camera, microphone, and gallery to use the Palantiiiiiiiiir."

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

That said, isn't the Ithil stone the first Palantir that Sauron gets? So while the city stands, the Palantir are mostly safe to use. Which may also contribute to Denethor being so comfortable using it. Literally everyone else did and they were okay.

There's Ithil, Anor, Orthanc, 2 lost at sea and 2 more somewhere?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Bootcha posted:

"In order to strike fear into the hearts of our enemies, we must allow access to our contacts, camera, microphone, and gallery to use the Palantiiiiiiiiir."

"Talion, a Bethesda account is required to use the Palantiiiiiiiiiiir."

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

One was on Weathertop of all places.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

NGDBSS posted:

One was on Weathertop of all places.

Then Weathertop got razed and its Palantir was lost at sea with like four others. Weathertop actually used to be a pretty important sentry fort in the lore.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

VolticSurge posted:

Like and subscribe to Youtube content creator Annatar to vote on the next location scryed with the Palantir! For every 1000 subscribers, a new scrying video will be uploaded!

This week, enjoy a bonus video from Sargon of Harad proving that lamp fuel can't melt stone towers.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Bar Crow posted:

Woulda thought coin mining would be a more shelob thing, you know, since it's mainly used on the darkweb.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

For the record, I 100% love and support all of these ideas as canon.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

"Talion, if you do not wish the Dark Lord tracking us using the Palantiiiiiiiiiiir then I would suggest installing EldarVPN."

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

VolticSurge posted:

"Talion, if you do not wish the Dark Lord tracking us using the Palantiiiiiiiiiiir then I would suggest installing EldarVPN."

I personally use MordVPN.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Nalesh posted:

I personally use MordVPN.

But doesn't that give your data to Dwarf hackers? Where do you think they got all their halls of gold from?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

But doesn't that give your data to Dwarf hackers? Where do you think they got all their halls of gold from?

Can't hang onto them though. Lost one to a brute force attack, and the other one hadn't changed their password since the back door was installed in the first place. Classic case of folks who think they're so awesome nobody's gonna even try to mess with them so they can poke around where they please.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 21, 2019

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Veloxyll posted:

That said, isn't the Ithil stone the first Palantir that Sauron gets? So while the city stands, the Palantir are mostly safe to use. Which may also contribute to Denethor being so comfortable using it. Literally everyone else did and they were okay.

Minas Ithil had fallen centuries before Denethor used the Palantir so it was an act of hubris comparable to Jade not using a SSD for the LP.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

Dear Talion,
Why just talk like an Orc when you could stab one out of the sky? And hey, why stop at just one - how about taking on a whole swarm of grog-logged brigands? Fire up the Palantiiiiiiiiiiir and defeat the dreaded Orc Swarm for a chance to exercise authoritarian control in Mordor, and prepare your stabbing hand for new challenges and surprises being added to your unstoppable will, soon.

Also this moment: Orc Stabbing 3.7.0 comes to your brain-stem as we take flight, War-Crimes Every Tuesday pulls back the curtain on the stomach-churning body horror of the latest new Orc Captain, Inside Mordor goes stabbing on foot, the evacuating populous shares some early favorite war crimes anecdotes, and we try to unravel the mystery what that new Orc Captain is vulnerable to.

Thank you for your continued support,
Celebrimbor

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

One of the best things about the game's previews were the little hype videos for the various orc tribes, you had orcs looking scary/badass/ominous and then you had the Marauder video which was the best one of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eghi80ls2FM

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

White Coke posted:

Minas Ithil had fallen centuries before Denethor used the Palantir so it was an act of hubris comparable to Jade not using a SSD for the LP.

More seriously, it was an act of hubris comparable to drinking poison to build up immunity. Sure, you might get that immunity, but there's a far, far more likely chance you'll just end up dead and foaming at the mouth.

Materant fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 21, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LupusAter posted:

One of the best things about the game's previews were the little hype videos for the various orc tribes, you had orcs looking scary/badass/ominous and then you had the Marauder video which was the best one of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eghi80ls2FM

They are absolutely my favorite tribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Jade Star posted:

New link stealth inserted for video two. I'd forgotten my recording settings had gotten adjusted at some point and the game audio had come out much quieter than I expected.
FYI it's still really drat quiet; I had to crank my tv up to like 30-something volume to hear it decently. For reference, I normally have it at 10.