Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So how come the Nazgals were able to take a pair of rings but Eltariel couldn't her hands on a single one no matter how many Nazgul she killed?

Complications posted:

This DLC does much to explain the total superiority Numenor enjoyed over Mordor when they came to faceroll Sauron what with all of their footsloggers having access to all the permanent upgrades of the shield. Just imagine the orcs' expressions when a thousand dudes come raining down on a fortress while grapple hooking around and firing off half a dozen arrows at a go out of their crossbows. Totally canon.

Well, no, all we know about Numenor's military is that their "steelbows" were widely feared by all and sundry and that the orcs fled on contact while Sauron just surrendered without a fight. Although admittedly the latter had probably already planned out his strategy.

Still, Numenor being entirely composed of players makes a lot of sense, right down to players being used to being led around and told what to do by whatever NPC is nearby; Sauron just realized this first and then gave them the quest to conquer Valinor.

The Numenoreans always had advanced technology but it wasn't until they captured Sauron that it really took off. In earlier drafts they had steam engines, rockets, and air ships thanks to him. In later versions they seem to just have been able to do pre-industrial technology really well, like making really good steel, really big wooden sailing ships, and monumental architecture all of which Sauron helped them get even better at.

Crossbows however are never mentioned by Tolkien, steel bows are just bows made out of steel. They were relatively popular in India because they survived the climate better than composite and wooden bows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

White Coke posted:

So how come the Nazgals were able to take a pair of rings but Eltariel couldn't her hands on a single one no matter how many Nazgul she killed?

The rings betrayed their wielders because they found someone more useful.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

wiegieman posted:

The rings betrayed their wielders because they found someone more useful.

I thought as much. It just feels off. The Nazgul weren't especially powerful fighters, they were really scary and had other magical powers but they weren't mowing through Gondorian soldiers. Even Sauron wasn't that good of a fighter.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Adrenaline is over powered.

Also i get distracted chasing all the shiny objects/treasure orcs.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
In the next episode, Baranor chain-Brutalizes his way across Mordor and up Mount Doom, to kick Sauron in the eye before he even blinks (and then Kalaas kills him).

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Some of the more brutal captain kill animations look even crazier when one of the human mercenaries is doing it. Ulugh beating Narug with his own arm is a hell of an image.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm glad to see you're settling into how overpowered the crossbow is as well. I remember finding the crossbow just stupidly, laughably powerful in this game.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Sometimes silly things just happen when I play video games.

But also this DLC continues to be awesome.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 10, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

:kingsley: the video. God I love harmless bugs.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Serka the Unextinguished

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Shei-kun posted:

Serka the Unextinguished

Serka the Exothermic

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Serka the 2020

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

Serka the 2020
:stonk:

At least the area transition put Serka out. 2020 I'm not so sure about.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

Notice who is back there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It's Serka Asbestos-Clad!

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Serka the Lightbringer!

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Serka the Ignitable!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
Inflammable means flammable? What a country!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I feel like Serka's flailing needs to be set to something, but I just can't place my finger on the right music

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

LobsterMobster posted:

I feel like Serka's flailing needs to be set to something, but I just can't place my finger on the right music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxoD9zWY9Rg

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG8TyIEAqps

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Serka the Incandescent.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

LobsterMobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChmUC0OysoU&t=24s

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

LobsterMobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE4VlA_9OrI

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Serka the Vermillion.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Serka the Flame Dancer.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

We're getting real close to the end of things now!

Which is kind of a shame really. This DLC is a lot of fun and I would love to play a longer version of it to get more time to really build up Baranors kit to do all kinds of overpowered and hilarious things.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Once you're done with this run where you took time to show everything off, are you going to do a second run where you try and show what a 'gold rank' run through the DLC looks like?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Gothsheep posted:

Once you're done with this run where you took time to show everything off, are you going to do a second run where you try and show what a 'gold rank' run through the DLC looks like?

Once I'm done with the LP run through of Baranor I plan on streaming a few runs going for high scores. I'll post about it and save the vods on twitch and put a link up to that too. While I'm at it, I will likely stream me getting Talion to level 80 and then showing off top level gear and Online Conquests in earnest, since that is cool and fun and didn't get to do during the LP at lower levels.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
Thanks for explaining that Protective Command works off fire/poison I was wondering what was happening in my game

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I might be wrong but it feels like the audio commentary for this even quieter than normal. :v:

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Alright, but what if you combo Lord Killer with Adrenaline? Knock a random captain down to stealth-kill range (or find one mortally vulnerable to stealth), brutalize him, and then see if the unlimited might lasts an objective 10 seconds or if it also gets stretched out by Adrenaline the same way in-game timers did like with the Warchief mission in this episode. Hmm, not that it'd make much difference that you'd be doing executions in the same frozen timespan that you could be doing stealth kills, but I still think it sounds like a fun bit of science. I guess you could really ruin another captain's day if it worked like that.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
You got to love how these games make you root for literal randos. Such a shame we've got to leave Khalaas and Ulugh so soon.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I'm a little sad to end the DLC. It is so much fun, from the characters, to the treasure hunt for power ups, the new gear adornment upgrade system, to the reliance on bodyguards whom hold their own and really do help out, the new ways for the player character to get around without being a wraith, just everything about this DLC is great.

Well, I mean, I'm still wondering 'Where is Idril?' but in my wondering I checked the wiki and there is a line of Baranor talking about her that may trigger by observing the fortress.

SoW Fan Wiki posted:

Idril does not appear in The Desolation of Mordor DLC, but she is still alive at the time, as when surveying the fortress Baranor may think aloud to himself that after he takes the fort Idril and the other Gondorians can join him there.

In any case that is is for fresh content in this LP, we've done all of Talions story, we've seen Eltarial and Talion after Celebrimbors attack on Bara'dur, and we've seen some of what happened to Baranor after the fall of Minas Ithil. I'll stream a few 'speed run' attempts of Desolation of Mordor just for fun, and then likely stream some messing around the main game file just to beef up the Fortress of Düsh, see if I missed any Celebrimbor challenges, and just generally running amok to level up and get cooler equipment with the goal of getting level 80 and being able to record a few top level online fort invasions. So I hope people will stick around a little longer, but if you were just here for the story, thanks for coming along for the ride. I really love this game and hope I got some people to give it a try or at least enjoy the story as much as I did as a non-tolkien lore-knowing person.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It was good to get to see the DLCs, and they're actually a lot better than I had always thought, Baranor's especially. If I ever get the desire to stab more Uruk in the future, I know where I'll go.

especially since I don't really feel like playing the longass main game again :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That was a lot of fun to watch and I do hope they do something with the nemesis system in the future.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Baranor the man bird?

Seems like a different flying animal fits him better.

Some kind of man bat?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Hey, remember how I said I would stream some Desolation of Mordor attempts for score/time? Yeah, like four posts up? Well hey, I'm bored and doing that right now!

Watch the stream at https://www.twitch.tv/sa_Jadestar

And don't spam dumb twitch emotes, the bot doesn't like them.

trip report: Gravewalker difficulty is hard.

Also this happened: https://www.twitch.tv/sa_jadestar/clip/IntelligentHelplessPuddingVoteNay?filter=clips&range=24hr&sort=time

Fix your game... Jake?

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 14, 2020

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Gotta love how the Sandspider went down like a punk despite having an absolutely wicked design. Arm blown off? It only makes him angrier. Baranor shows some competent swordplay? He's absolutely befuddled. I'm not disappointed, I'm more just amused.

Anyway, it feels kind of sad to say goodbye to this series for now. I really do love the Nemesis system, and hopefully, we'll get to hear Jade Star commentate over the next game it pops up in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Congrats on finishing an enjoyable LP. Looking forward to the next, should you decide to do more.