Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyrmthang
Nov 30, 2014

As dry as it gets!
Hey everyone, a friend and I are looking to join the Good guild (whatever it's name might be). We are both have our characters pre-created on the Wynn server West faction. How would we go about applying to be in the guild?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

We should have the guild made within a few hours on launch day, so drop by Discord to ask for an invite :getin:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So much for permanently opening up the servers today. And you can't even register a west character on any server at the moment, they're all locked out.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I was half considering playing this, but then I remembered how the game's economy brought out the absolute worst out of everyone in my guild and suddenly don't want to play it again. gently caress putting in long group trade trips to earn Gilda stars for players who don't do poo poo to help anyone else.

Deki fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 14, 2019

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Wyrmthang posted:

Hey everyone, a friend and I are looking to join the Good guild (whatever it's name might be). We are both have our characters pre-created on the Wynn server West faction. How would we go about applying to be in the guild?

Discord server: https://discord.gg/yAFNmnC
have your friend DM Raioner#0702, Omarmarious#3682 or Tempus Thales#2600 and we can get him setup.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Deki posted:

I was half considering playing this, but then I remembered how the game's economy brought out the absolute worst out of everyone in my guild and suddenly don't want to play it again. gently caress putting in long group trade trips to earn Gilda stars for players who don't do poo poo to help anyone else.

All of this has changed, now you can make Gilda in many different ways.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

nessin posted:

So much for permanently opening up the servers today. And you can't even register a west character on any server at the moment, they're all locked out.

There will be another session tomorrow morning starting at 10am PDT

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
God drat these sign up windows are at 4am in the morning here. Hopefully our server isn't still locked on launch day.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Excerpts from the guide I wrote for new people. A bit :words:.

Launch Preparation
The Very Basics:
Watch this in it's entirety, it's 10 minutes and everything in it is important. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke6bnV-6ODU

1) Decide your class and build (as much as you can) prior to launch. The leveling gear can be swapped around pretty dang freely (except bows/instruments), but once it's turned into Hiram gear you're basically stuck with it.
2) Set your keybinds on the free-to-play server, take a screenshot of them, and save that screenshot for launch. There is no way to transfer keybinds.
3) Familiarize yourself with how to get the good stats on your leveling gear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CktEuv2Ii2s
4) Read this to familiarize yourself with the options for Gilda acquisition.

Housing
If you are unaware, Archeage has non-instanced housing. Property is limited and we will be competing for land on 19 October with everyone else on the server. We want to be prepared in advance, and we want to be at our chosen housing location (see pins in #games-aau-private ) ready to drop properties well in advance of land rush. Land will disappear fast, and any delays will utterly gently caress you. You may have multiple properties spread out from friends, spread out from your own properties, etc. Don't be that guy. Be a land baron.

The absolute best preparation for this is to hit 30 and do your 8x8 farm quest, and hit 50 and do your 16x16 farm quest. It should be noted that this is worth doing because not only does your 16x16 provide the most utility available to us in early game, but also because to place property at all, you need land certificates, a form of labor tax, and the only way to have land certificates prior to the land rush is to complete those quests. You need to have enough for your properties security deposit and the weekly taxes. As an example, your 8x8 farm requires 10 certs for a security deposit and charges 5 certs in weekly taxes, meaning you need 15 certs to place it.

You can also only have two unfinished properties placed at a time. When you drop your plot, it is an unfinished building. The 8x8 farm requires one lumber to complete, which was rewarded with the quest. The 16x16 farm requires 300 logs (approximately 420 labor to gather) crafted into 100 lumber (500 labor to craft), which are then crafted into a lumber pack (25 labor to craft) that you have to wear. Finishing the construction on either of these takes 15 seconds, but must be done to place a third property. Additionally, once one of these is completed, you can craft additional land certificates at a cost of 300 labor per 5.

See this video for an exceedingly good guide about the land rush, but ignore the numbers at 7:18, I'll be correcting those a bit later: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jSTBBSs1yg

I hate this guys death-by-powerpoint presentation and his loving VOICE, but these three videos are very thorough guides to housing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSRor33CaXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytr1cBlY9Ck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw6PgTzpUFE

TL;DW: Housing is useful for farming and crafting and storing your stuff.

House types
16x16 cottages are inexpensive (15 gilda), have a tiny bit of farmable land (especially if you turn them at a 45 degree angle) and can be upgraded to have two seed beds, which can grow 50 of one crop at a time, but upgrading is semi-expensive.

24x24 manors (200 gilda) can be upgraded to Armorer's Houses (crafting gear here makes it a grade higher), Apothecary Houses (crafting consumables is just...better, sometimes double procs, no consuming earlier pots to make better pots, etc), and Trade Houses (make a literal poo poo (fertilizer) pack that you can transport.) Other houses can be upgraded to these, but the consensus is it's a bad move. (they're more expensive, no additional benefit)

Thatched farmhouses (also a 24x24 footprint, but 300 gilda) have a lot of farmable land, and have three possible upgrades, each of which get two seed beds. The Miner's House basically has a drill that gives you free mining mats, even rare ones. Rancher's house lets you grow animals without having to worry about them getting diseased or their houses collapsing. Harvesters house gives you a third seedbed. Rancher's house is considered situational, harvester's house is extremely situational.

Additionally, your 8x8 farm can be upgraded to a 16x16 improved scarecrow farm, but probably not before land rush. It's labor heavy:

In total:
Wooden Beam Bundle x2 : ~1000 labor (300 logs base component)
Construction Tool Bundle x2: ~1050 labor with MASSIVE luck (300 iron ore base component)
Finishing Touches Bundle: Unknown gathering labor cost, 275 labor crafting cost (75 pelt and 75 cotton or wool base components)
Construction Brick Bundle: 525 labor
Actual upgrade labor cost: 100
Total: 2950 minimum, plus a bunch for the pelt/cotton, plus a bunch for the iron ore cause no way you're that lucky.

This seems doable, but will require you to be on point. Drop sheep and trees in public farms ASAP. Harvest all trees you see. Mine mine mine. Coordinate with people who want to specialize in processing wood, metal, or stone, give them a % of the yields or some money.

Taxes:
Finally, the corrections to Kanon's video: he forgets that you get 65 tax certificates from the farm quests, and that the taxes of buildings increase for every building you have past the first two. If you place a third building, the taxes (not the security deposits) on all of your buildings increase by 100% (they're doubled (2x)). A fourth building increases all taxes by 150% (2.5x), a fifth increases by 200% (3x), and so on. Every bit of property after the second, then, costs more tax certs to place.

As an example: if you were to get one of the 24x24 houses (manors or thatched farmhouses), your 16x16, and your 8x8, you'd place your 24x24 for 45 certs, your 8x8 for 15 certs. You'd be left with 5 of your original 65 certs. Your 16x16 farm normally costs 30 to place, as it has a 20 cert security deposit and 10 cert tax rate, but the price would be increased to 40 (10x2 tax + 20 deposit). You'd have to finish your 8x8 and construct an additional 35 certs to place your 16x16, for a total of 2100 labor.

If you had the same properties but wanted to place your 16x16 first (to maximize early utility), you'd have to drop your farm for 30 certs, and either: construct it immediately and craft 10 certs for 600 labor OR drop your 8x8 for 15 certs (20 remaining), construct that, and craft 40 certs for 2400 labor.

One final note, as previously mentioned, the more properties you own, the higher taxes you must pay. The aforementioned tax rates affect all houses, not just the last placed. If you place three houses, all three houses have the increased (100% (2x)) tax rate.

As an example, if you had the aforementioned 16x16 (10 base tax rate), a 8x8 (5 base tax rate), and 24x24 (15 base tax rate) combo, you would be paying 60 tax certs per week (30 x 2) for a total of 3,600 labor, more than half of a day of labor.
If you had four properties (150%, 2.5x) comprised of 2x cottages (10 each), 1x 16x16 (10), and 1x 8x8 (5)), you'd be at ~90 certs per week, costing 5,400 labor per week, a bit over one day of labor.

It quickly scales out of control, but remember the initial placement of your cottages and 8x8 are likely placeholders to drop a larger property.

Each plan has risks: Your farms may be separated (a pain in the rear end), or your largest property may not be able to be placed at all.

Summary and possible plans:
Ultimately, you have the following considerations for housing:

1) To place property, you have to have tax certificates, enough to cover your security deposit and the first week of rent. Certificates are crafted at a house at the cost of 300 labor for 5 certificates.
2) Currently the only way to get tax certificates before the land rush on 19 October is to complete the 8x8 farm quest, a level 30 quest which provides 15 certificates, and the 16x16 farm quest, a level 50 quest which provides 50 certificates.
3) Properties are in two stages. They are a just a plot of land you have claimed before you actually complete construction on them. This requires substantial materials most of the time. The 8x8 quest gives you one lumber, which is all that's required to complete it.
4) You can only have two incomplete properties at a time.

This means the maximum amount of properties you can have without stopping is two. If you are under 50, that drops to 1 due to a lack of available certificates. If you are under 30, you are waiting on other people to drop land before you can place anything.

Thus, there are three thresholds:
Under 30? You are hosed, get to 30.
Between 30 and 50? Get your 8x8 farm and spend 30 gilda on two cottages. Drop 8x8, finish 8x8, spend labor on more certificates, and place your cottages, which you will be unable to complete, so that's where your housing journey ends. You do not have enough labor or gilda to place anything larger than those cottages, either, so don't worry about that.
50+? Get your 16x16 farm and 8x8 farm quest. Now you have a lot of options, including the scenarios mentioned in the taxes section.

If it were me, and I couldn't get a manor or thatched farmhouse, I would buy two 16x16 cottages for 30 gilda, start the housing rush with a lumber pack on, drop my 16x16 farm (30 certs), drop a cottage (30 certs), upgrade my 16x16 with the lumber pack, craft 60 certs (3,600 labor) (+5 leftover), and if it looks highly contested drop a second cottage (40 certs), and if it doesn't (it will) an 8x8 (20 certs), upgrade that with 1 lumber, and then drop the second cottage (45.).

What I will personally be attempting to do (and probably fail), will be crafting the 8x8 farm into the improved 16x16 farm (I'm assuming it'll cost 4k labor), starting the land rush with a lumber pack on, dropping both 16x16 farms (60 certs), upgrading one of the farms, crafting an additional 55 certs (3,300 labor) and dropping a manor, with the intent of upgrading it to an apothecary's manor. If I could manage to get 300 gilda, I would almost certainly opt for the thatched farmhouse (TFH) instead of the manor for the early utility (farming space) it offers, but I would personally not alter the placing order (dropping 16x16 then TFH would require IMMEDIATELY finishing the 16x16 and crafting certs, going 16x16 -> 16x16 lets you drop two plots without interruption).

Note that these plans assume cargo is available for the 16x16 quest. It very well might not be, in which case lol.

Good luck, goons.

Degs fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 14, 2019

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Degs posted:

Excerpts from the guide I wrote for new people. A bit :words:.

-snip-

Good luck, goons.

Oooh huge thanks! That's based on the Archeage Unchained beta? I'll probably pre order this today but will follow some friends on East so I will probably not play with goons. I played at launch on the initial game and could only get a temporary plot where I grew vegetables or something.

I will probably try the level 30 goal. Level 50 seems unreachable to me. It's not like you'll be able to put in your land if the initial launch is anything to go by. Dozens of people on the same plot trying to claim it when it went live.

Bozonofski
Sep 22, 2009

Hemish posted:

Oooh huge thanks! That's based on the Archeage Unchained beta? I'll probably pre order this today but will follow some friends on East so I will probably not play with goons. I played at launch on the initial game and could only get a temporary plot where I grew vegetables or something.

I will probably try the level 30 goal. Level 50 seems unreachable to me. It's not like you'll be able to put in your land if the initial launch is anything to go by. Dozens of people on the same plot trying to claim it when it went live.

I had a quick go at the PTS and it took less than 2 hours to hit level 30. It's super quick

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

There is a ton more land to claim than release and you are limited to 2 unbuilt plots per account, so the rush won't be like release but there will be a ton of people. East and West each got a massive housing zone in addition to what they already have and the zones added for the new races. There will be a fight if you go for the best spots, but you should be fine to get some space in the zone you want.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Never played this before, and I think I'd like to go mage. It seems like the recommended class for leveling is Sorcery/Songcraft/Shadowplay. I know that armor and weapon choice is a big deal, what should I be taking in that area? Also, does race matter that much?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

None of the racial abilities are important enough to matter, go with what you want.

I'll be leveling as sorc/mal/aura or shadow but it doesn't matter a whole lot, once you get to 55 you will swap in other trees, which quickly level up. Eventually you will have every tree at 55.

For weapon you will go either 2H staff or scepter with shield and dagger swap. I am going dual handed, and it's important that your shield help balance out your defense.

I'd tell you what armor to go with if i had a strong opinion myself, i'm still kind of undecided with 24 hours to launch:

Plate: strong against melee, archers, and pve mobs. Gives the least skill damage bonus and the defense loses it's benefit as time goes on.

Leather: highest skill bonus, the glass cannon choice. Gives an inadequate amount of both physical and magical defense. Probably the strongest late game? Korea seems to like leather a lot but until you get your defensive gems going it will be rough.

Cloth: Effectively 20% more mana efficient than plate, which is meh for pvp since mages have such high mana pool. Strong to magic and weak to physical. Archers and melee will wreck your poo poo but is the more traditional mage armor.

So what needs to be said about armor is that the first month or two people are going to put all their infusions into their weapons, and everyone will be running around with strong weapons and paper thin armor. People who advocate for cloth or leather will say that plate isn't going to save you, you will still get ganked easy, and that at end game with cloth or leather you will have your gems and a physical defense shield and won't be as vulnerable. I am not sure how true that is, plate gives definite benefits and gives them right away. Most of the meta tryhards i saw on pts playing mage were in leather, and i try to go by what they do and not what they say. But i have not decided yet.

E: to get you hyped, here watch a vet play with fanatic on pts https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjDz0H8QB2I

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

You need 300 ground grain and 10 wool to make a trade pack for the 16x16 quest. I would place 1 sheep and 4 rice at a public farm when you first start working to 30.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Is there going to be a point when servers are unlocked today so I can create a character on Wynn? I seem to keep missing the windows. I'm EST if that's relevant.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

HotBobaloo posted:

Is there going to be a point when servers are unlocked today so I can create a character on Wynn? I seem to keep missing the windows. I'm EST if that's relevant.

2pm, it got delayed an hour

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

What are the benefits and drawbacks to shield vs dagger on mage? I noticed that dual wielding increases attack speed; does that increase casting speed as well?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Am I missing something or is any form of ranged physical DPS (archer) extremely dull and identical? I've been toying around with different skills on the PTS and compared to a mage build it seems like any form of archer is meant to be as uninteresting as possible.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Wonder Turbine posted:

What are the benefits and drawbacks to shield vs dagger on mage? I noticed that dual wielding increases attack speed; does that increase casting speed as well?

From what I read. Attack speed lowers your gcd so if you play something like fanatic with a lot of instant casts its really good. If you're playing a cast time mage you can try staves for cast speed. Staves also cheaper because you don't need to gem both weapons. Shields is there to make up for the defensive weaknesses you have. If you're plate wear a magic shield, and if you're cloth wear an armour shield. Shields can get magic damage on it but cannot put a bunch of the crit damage lunagems that an offhand weapon can so the damage of dual wielding will be superior to shields.

Personally I'm thinking of going cloth with scepter/shield because it makes me tankier. Maybe get an offhand later on to swap in group pvp where I don't need to worry about getting picked off. But don't take my advice I haven't played past 30 in the PTS.

HotBobaloo
Jun 19, 2002
Looks like Wynn is still completely locked for both sides.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

HotBobaloo posted:

Looks like Wynn is still completely locked for both sides.

TinenToday at 12:04 PM
Wynn went into a queue and was relocked to allow people to clear the queue. It will reopen at 11:10 AM PDT

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
And Wynn is right back to locked for both sides, heh.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Oh boy, I'm excited to kill people but already can tell the devs don't really know what they're doing. :v:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Just now our wise leader Raioner has decided we have a new plan for launch tomorrow.

Basically the new plan is to come up with a plan later after we see the server situation first hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

May our drunk leader lead us to victory :patriot: