Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lurgy posted:

Weren't the houses a lot cheaper in the original launch?

I mean, it's still gonna be a crazy rush for the spots, but maybe it'll at least take several hours rather than just one.

Haven't played in years so I don't know what anything costs anymore. But it was about an hour or two to rush the right quests (and skip the ones you didn't need) to get that house ASAP and plonk it down anywhere fast before all the land was gone.

Source: was one of the lucky ones during in the first minutes who got through the queues, didn't disconnect and already knew which quests to do. I was still one of the slow ones and panic-grabbed safe zone land without scouting all the alternatives out.

Frankly if trading has been as gutted as people have said (what a shame, was the best thing in alpha/launch) then it might be safe to completely skip the land and dedicate yourself to Auroria & Library mob farming to gear up. You'll need to save all those labor points to open the high end coin purses.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

DancingShade posted:

All the housing spots will be gone in an hour or two tops after the servers go live.

If you think I'm joking I can assure you that's how it went during the original launch.

Land is locked until ~5 days after launch. When it is unlocked it'll be like aurora and gone in less than 5 mins. But, you will have plenty of time to get your buildings/farms in preparation for the unlock. Land is always worth trying to get because even if you won't use it you can sell it to pubs that want it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CompeAnansi posted:

Land is locked until ~5 days after launch. When it is unlocked it'll be like aurora and gone in less than 5 mins. But, you will have plenty of time to get your buildings/farms in preparation for the unlock. Land is always worth trying to get because even if you won't use it you can sell it to pubs that want it.

In some ways this is a good thing because it sort of avoids the big crunch but holy hell I can only imagine the instantly populated housing zones thanks to bots.

Also yes, even if you have no intention of farming or pack storage then selling land is guaranteed money. Potentially recurring revenue if scamming players is allowed.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

e: beaten by a mile

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

DancingShade posted:

All the housing spots will be gone in an hour or two tops after the servers go live.

If you think I'm joking I can assure you that's how it went during the original launch.

they have stated they are going to delay land ownership for the 1st week, allowing more people the time needed. The plus side is the cash op will not allow people to buy multiple tax certs to afford more than the set amount of what 2 or 3 properties per character account. I am a little more optimistic that this go-around won't be a total land grab gone in 1 hr kind of event, it will be super popular and a sought after item for sure! I just don't think it will be as bad as previous launches.. my 2 cents of course.

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

I thought I read somewhere that they doubled the amount of available land as well?

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

Omarmarious posted:

they have stated they are going to delay land ownership for the 1st week, allowing more people the time needed. The plus side is the cash op will not allow people to buy multiple tax certs to afford more than the set amount of what 2 or 3 properties per character account. I am a little more optimistic that this go-around won't be a total land grab gone in 1 hr kind of event, it will be super popular and a sought after item for sure! I just don't think it will be as bad as previous launches.. my 2 cents of course.

There is also the Family system where a few people can share the same land.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Spookmaster posted:

I thought I read somewhere that they doubled the amount of available land as well?

No, the devs explained this poorly. Now that you cant just real money buy your way into owning vast amounts of land, it'll be easier for more players have a house. It'll still be possible for a player to own a lot of land and houses, but the amount of time and currency it takes to do it is ultra time consuming compared to the pay to win server.

Mercury
Apr 6, 2002

*honk*
Also, in the event that many some of us can’t put in the kind of hours the first week required to get a house up fast (doubtful I can), is it possible to create a guild house or houses, so we could contribute to that?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I'm going to try and get a house down when it opens up. Hopefully I can get one by 5 days before the land opens up but I really have no idea what I should be farming so I'm probably not going to make it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mercury posted:

Also, in the event that many some of us can’t put in the kind of hours the first week required to get a house up fast (doubtful I can), is it possible to create a guild house or houses, so we could contribute to that?

They all use the same limited land.

Mercury
Apr 6, 2002

*honk*

DancingShade posted:

They all use the same limited land.

Right, I’m talking about combining resources to have a chance to take more scarce land immediately. Is there such thing as Guild property or only individual plots?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Mercury posted:

Right, I’m talking about combining resources to have a chance to take more scarce land immediately. Is there such thing as Guild property or only individual plots?

You can set the permissions on your land to guild, which means anyone from your guild can use it. But you still own it. There is no such thing as guild ownership (outside of castles).

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
Guild name should be "The Moops"

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I remember playing this when it released, and I had a damned good time backpacking olives to far off destinations to varying degrees of success. The think I quit because the level cap game started off with farming a particular zone for tokens/emblems/shitchips and then turning them in for weapons/armor. These mobs were also super camped and contested.

Is that still a thing with this patch the Unchained folks are releasing?

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Elpato posted:

I remember playing this when it released, and I had a damned good time backpacking olives to far off destinations to varying degrees of success. The think I quit because the level cap game started off with farming a particular zone for tokens/emblems/shitchips and then turning them in for weapons/armor. These mobs were also super camped and contested.

Is that still a thing with this patch the Unchained folks are releasing?

Farming Hasla gear has been replaced with farming for Hiram gear. Hiram gear is much better and also has a lot more spaces for farming.

RE: Other poo poo in this thread: staging packs is gone because freshness is a stat. Trading isn't dead, it just doesn't work the same way. (Packs are moved on the same continent only. Cargo is transported to other continents only.) Land will be incredibly valuable because everyone needs to craft poo poo again. Feeding gear other gear and consumables and god drat everything.

As with every single MMO launch ever that has crafting leveled by doing, mats will likely be more valuable than finished goods for a while.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
All this grinding and land grabbing sounds loving awful for non-poopsockers. Can this game be enjoyed by casuals? As in stayimg semi-relevant in pvp/money-making ?

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I think if you're gonna be playing like an hour or two a day you're better off finding a family to share house with you and dump your labor on whoever poopsocks enough to get to high level crafting. You can then take part in doing trade runs which is where it all comes together and makes cash. Not even the poopiest sock is gonna get to the top on their own in this game.

As for the land grab, it is locked for 5 days but a thatched farmhouse costs 300 gilda stars, which is something most people will not have at that point.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also there are 2 housing issues. There is "Can you get a house at all?" and "Can you get a house in one of the primo areas near poo poo people care about?".

It's the second one most people are going to be hosed out of, the first is an easier hurdle to clear.

Mercury
Apr 6, 2002

*honk*
In that case, I would be happy to contribute my gilda coins or whatever from the first week (assuming they’re tradable?) to a “family” house with other goon guild members. I won’t be able to stop going to work during that time, nor crap in my socks, so I’ll do what I can.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Awful Citizen added a channel to the main SA discord for this game. https://discord.gg/7pHKQG

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

Vilgefartz posted:

All this grinding and land grabbing sounds loving awful for non-poopsockers. Can this game be enjoyed by casuals? As in stayimg semi-relevant in pvp/money-making ?

absolutely can, with the removal of the P2W shop, though there will be a grind and obvious advantage for the basement-dwelling poop-socking no lives, there will also be plenty of fun and things to be enjoyed for those of us that ended our lives to soon by commenting to relationships, having kids, and being awful working professionals

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Lurgy posted:

As for the land grab, it is locked for 5 days but a thatched farmhouse costs 300 gilda stars, which is something most people will not have at that point.

I heard the strategy here was to buy two small houses which were 15 gilda stars before and place them next to each other. Once you had enough for a farmhouse you can sell the houses and build it. However, I heard even the smallest houses are going to be 100 gilda stars now (unconfirmed until ptr) so that strategy doesn't work anymore. But this will probably mean land will be up for a much longer time too.

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012
NOW VOTING!

Survey/Poll up deciding on what faction we wish to play on, this poll will run right up to the 14th. Please do your part and vote on what faction you would prefer to play on. Thank you!

Survey Monkey Here

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012
Also,

Saw this kick-rear end video that really gives a good snapshot of AA, love the commentator, very infectious energy towards the game. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8yxt8tGlHg

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Velveteen posted:

I heard the strategy here was to buy two small houses which were 15 gilda stars before and place them next to each other. Once you had enough for a farmhouse you can sell the houses and build it. However, I heard even the smallest houses are going to be 100 gilda stars now (unconfirmed until ptr) so that strategy doesn't work anymore. But this will probably mean land will be up for a much longer time too.

The small houses are 50 Gilda on the private server, which is version 3.6 or something. Not sure with 6.0 releasing if it will cost the same, or jump up to 100 like you mentioned :sigh:

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Here are today's livestream notes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oQ9a-H_gcFGcjGj_vPKwrymgboPjjkSnuHOBoFg5Hrk/edit

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

beat me to posting these! Did you catch the stream live?

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Nope, its just something that someone posts to reddit every Friday.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:laffo: at EAC for anti-cheat. Tons of games have this and are easily cheatable.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

kloa posted:

:laffo: at EAC for anti-cheat. Tons of games have this and are easily cheatable.

eac is one of the better anti-cheats

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

eac is one of the better anti-cheats

but its not and you are wrong

It has this little flaw where you can load into a game, open up processes, and then close EAC, then start hacking

If it needs to be actively hooked into the game for the game to function like with fortnite then you do the above and run a dummy game in the background while the main one is totally EAC free

If it was actually good then why are so many games that use it just swimming with hackers?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 28, 2019

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Fauxtool posted:

but its not and you are wrong

It has this little flaw where you can load into a game, open up processes, and then close EAC, then start hacking

If it needs to be actively hooked into the game for the game to function like with fortnite then you do the above and run a dummy game in the background while the main one is totally EAC free

If it was actually good then why are so many games that use it just swimming with hackers?

1) not true, it depends on the game (because the developers have a lot of control over it, it's not a single monolithic application every game)

2) EAC operates in the game process itself in many games, closing the EAC thing in task manager doesn't do it unless the game doesn't have it run in the application process itself

3) every game is swimming with hackers

the only anti-cheat i have problems with is battle-eye and EAC, go back to school skid

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

the only anti-cheat i have problems with is battle-eye and EAC, go back to school skid

Name one successful implementation of EAC in a popular game
https://www.easy.ac/en-us/partners/

there are exactly 2 and only 2 kinds of anti-cheats that work and EAC is neither.
Ones that are so invasive that they are basically keyloggers that also remote desktop to the user at random intervals. The kind that invite lawsuits and people get really mad about.
And others are stat based ones that detect anomalies like getting 10 headshots in a row. The players is flagged then manually reviewed by a human.

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 28, 2019

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think APB Reloaded used EAC and as we all know that game never had locust plagues of hackers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
other totally hack free EAC games include apex legends and vermintide 2

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012
pretty sure Maple Story Online.. right?? right??

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I think the main hopes of keeping aau hacking manageable is that accounts are a onetime purchase now, meaning people that get banned lose their 25 bux. They're gonna have to moderate well for that, though.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

Fauxtool posted:

Name one successful implementation of EAC in a popular game
https://www.easy.ac/en-us/partners/

name one successful implementation of any anti-cheat period

you seem to not understand how anti-cheats work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Lurgy posted:

I think the main hopes of keeping aau hacking manageable is that accounts are a onetime purchase now, meaning people that get banned lose their 25 bux. They're gonna have to moderate well for that, though.

People hack and bot in buy-to-play, subscription-required games.