Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Fallout 3 is an open-world action RPG released by Bethesda Softworks in 2008. It received massive critical acclaim from many outlets, including numerous game--of-the-year awards. It deserves all of the praise.

It's also a pretty bad game.

How can a game be both an incredible achievement and one of the best games of all time, but also a miserable mess that fumbles nearly every system? Perhaps we'll learn about this duality together as we explore the Capital Wasteland and rip Fallout 3's guts out with a Ripper. Join me and our hero, Post-Nuclear Beth, the greatest mistake of the year 2258, as we ruin the ruins of Washington D.C.

This is the PC version of Fallout 3: Game of the Year edition, which comes with all five DLC packs - Operation: Anchorage, Broken Steel, The Pitt, Point Lookout, and Mothership Zeta. I'll be covering those as well, naturally.

We'll also dip into Fallout 3's modding scene a bit. Bethesda released official utilities for creating mods, and thanks to that there are over 15,000 of them on the site nexusmods.com. There are some gems and some germs, to be sure! Before you get worried: exactly three of the nine screenshots up there are because of mods. I don't need their help to make Fallout 3 look goofy.

:siren: Do not argue about Fallout: New Vegas! :siren:
I will be taking it as a given that Fallout: New Vegas exists and is widely regarded as the superior game, and you should too. In fact, do not argue about New Vegas or you'll get smacked with a probation! It's been 9 years. We all know NV is better and that every faction is fascist and that Fisto is the best. If you want to holler about it go make your own thread. This is the little corner on the internet where we can be free from it to whine about Fallout 3 on its own terms.

SPOILER POLICY:
I'm an insane completionist, and Fallout 3 is... an exception. I know I missed things. There are random events that won't spawn for me. There are minor branches to quests I don't see. There are some locations I miss. I'll hit every named quest and explore every DLC location, but if I just straight up whiff on something you can tell me. I won't get mad. Don't spoil the things I will cover, though, like, well, the main story, the major sidequests, and the DLC. Even in tags. Wait until I'm done with those things to gab about them or this thread will become a CIA document.

PLEASE MAKE A SELECTION:

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
FAN ART:

Azza Bamboo knows the nature of the wasteland.

Azza Bamboo knows what it takes to talk like a normal person.

[Take the baby]
[Leave the baby alone]
[Eat Azza Bamboo]

Azza Bamboo puts on a baseball cap before throwing a grenade.

I was waiting for this guy to shut up before I took the tiny decorative statue of Azza Bamboo.

I was taught the keyblade by Azza Bamboo.

I never took Azza Bamboo to Disney World.

A new show directed by Azza Bamboo coming to Netflix or something.

The pilot episode of this proposed series by Azza Bamboo.

I get the message ok Azza Bamboo

I am glad that for the follow-up Azza Bamboo made the radroaches sexy.

Azza Bamboo is the only person in real life who can wear power armor.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Aug 5, 2020

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Ink Spots - I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire

Washington D.C., the capital of America, lies in ruin.

The narrator, Ron Perlman, begins.

"War. War never changes."

"Since the dawn of humankind, when our ancestors first discovered the killing power of rock and bone,"

"blood has been spilled in the name of everything: from God to justice to simple, psychotic rage."

"In the year 2077, after millennia of armed conflict, the destructive nature of man could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of nuclear fire and radiation."

"But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world. Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of human history. For man had succeeded in destroying the world - but war, war never changes."

"In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of the holocaust by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters, known as Vaults. But when they emerged, they had only the hell of the wastes to greet them..."

"...All except those in Vault 101. (one-oh-one) "For on that fateful day, when fire rained from the sky, the giant steel door of Vault 101 slid closed... and never reopened. It was here you were born. It is here you will die.

Because, in Vault 101, no one ever enters, and no one ever leaves."

Speaking of born, the first thing that happens is blood splatter on an overbearing brightness.

A newborn cries doctors frantically work. We are that newborn.

The man asks a simple question.

And I mean he asks, because we tell him. As far as I know, being a woman is the objectively superior choice.

Upon telling him, the man says

"It's a girl? A girl! We've got a daughter, Catherine! A beautiful, healthy baby girl!"

Catherine, her speech raspy and weak after labor, replies

"Oh... Oh James... We did it... A daughter... Our beautiful daughter..."

James, our father, is played by actor Liam Neeson. I guess that makes our character Neesonson?

Oh, right, girl, well,

This was my second choice. When you get 17 characters for a name, you gotta use 'em, you know?

It's weird Fallout 3 has its character customization thing exist in-universe when Bethesda doesn't bother at all otherwise.

Anyway, this is the big ol list of sliders and face bones we can adjust to gently caress up a face. I went with African-American for the race so that Liam Neeson, who is retroactively made the same race as the player character, would be the very kind of bastard he wants to kill. Race doesn't matter at all in this game, nuclear holocaust kinda melted that divide.

This will be Post-Nuclear Beth's incredibly normal human face, that she's obtained via normal human birth.

I feel attacked by the confirmation prompt.

That's not normal.

"See that, Catherine?" Says James.

She replies, "Ohhh... Beautiful... Just like her Daddy... Ha ha ha...."

But then the happy times cut short when suddenly the heart monitor flatlines!

"Catherine? Catherine! She's in cardiac arrest! Start compressions! Get the baby out of here! Move. Move!"

THe other woman carries Post-Nuclear Beth as her mother fades away...

It must suck that every time you're blinded by bright lights you basically lose conciousness until the next time you're blinded.

Now we're alone with Liam Neeson, in a room with one bed. He says

"Come on over here, sweetie. Come on! Walk to Daddy!"

Better plan. I can press spacebar to jump. You never have to jump except when you have to, which is rare and always annoying because the jumping in this game is not particularly precise. It's mostly because jumping is minutely faster than walking that we jump constantly.

Ah, my infant daughter, already hopping wildly.

"Your mother would be so proud. Listen kiddo, I know you don't like it when Daddy leaves you alone, but I need you to take care of yourself for a minute."

Naturally it's mandatory to not stay here.

Bound to Z is picking up world objects like this big red ball. It's not animated or anything, it sort of hovers in front of the player character.

I'm not sure why this exists because the only times to use it are basically exploits and robbery.

E is your general "do a thing" button. Obtain items, open doors, start conversations.

As an infant, Post-Nuclear Beth makes one of several baby noises every time I press E. I'm mashing it this entire time so she is just hollering.

While we can toss around our toys like an rear end in a top hat, our purpose is to get over to this static book on the floor. It's how we pick our essential attributes.

Like the previous games, Fallout 3 uses the SPECIAL system, an acronym for the seven attributes. These attributes, ranging from 1 to 10, determine various statistics and affect skill levels (two per point except luck) and many perks have attribute requirements. They are as follows:

Strength determines the amount of junk we can carry and improves the melee weapons skill as well as conferring a separate bonus on melee damage. The primary gameplay loop of Fallout 3 involves filling your pockets with stuff so having more is good, but as it's tied to just one skill it's hard to put too much into it.

Perception determines the range at which enemies show up as marks on the compass - a sixth sense for danger as it were - and the Energy Weapons, Explosives, and Lockpicking skills. Perception's main bonus is not particularly useful for a variety of reasons, but a few rather helpful perks require 6. It's a dump stat if you aren't using those.

Endurance determines HP, enviornmental resistances, how long the player can hold their breath underwater before drowning, and the Big Guns and Unarmed skills. Because of how much not dying a good Endurance gets you, i'd be hard pressed to remove points from it.

Charisma boosts the Speech and Barter skills and applies a multiplier to Speech checks. Speech in this game is kind of a mess, so dumping it to 1 so you can't bother with it is reasonable. The economy's broken even with a rancid Barter level, so no worries there.

Intelligence affects three useful skills, Medicine, Science, and Repair, but it also increases skill points obtained each level. So each point in Intelligence is effectively 35 skill points. A lot.

Also with a high score we can take Intelligence-based dialogue options that are stating something somewhat obvious and the NPC will react like we've figured out unified field theory. I love them.

Agility affects Action Points, used for the game's auto-aim system, and the Sneak and Small Guns skills. All of these are good.

Luck affects critical hit rate, the base is basically a luck% chance, and every two points of luck is a point in every skill.

You need less of this than you might think to become a critmonster because some weapons get critical hit rates of "yeah sure".

That's all seven attributes. You have 40 points, including the minimum 1 in each, for 33 free points. By default it's 5 in everything with 5 free points, with all the knowledge I have I'll...

Just leave most of them alone and put Intelligence near the cap with a spare point in luck.

It'll make sense in due time.

The greatest lock in all of Vault 101 belongs to Liam Neeson. Maxing Luck and Perception would land you at 25 when you need a big fat hundo. He wants his baby to be secure.

It's ok, Liam Neeson's back already.

"Come on over here. I want to show you something."

KJV natch.

"'I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.' She always loved that. All right. Come on. Let's go see fi your little friend Amata wants to play...."

We don't need to follow Liam Neeson, just get to the hallway.

Where Post-Nuclear Beth is blinded and loses more years of her life...

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzLd8EK3sU

Heckin groundfloor.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Godspeed, OFS, you beautiful bastard

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why do you do this to yourself?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I can't wait for all the stuff.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I love this game. Unabashedly. Unashamedly. Looking forward to seeing OFS tear it to pieces.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
This game is gonna end with you getting kidnapped and daddy Liam coming in to kill people to find you, right?

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Huh, was not aware Liam Neeson's hair changed along with his race. I'm learning new things about this game already.

This was my introduction to the Fallout series, but I have zero desire to play it again so this should be interesting.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
Ohhhhhh Fallout 3. You beautiful, mediocre fiasco. You sweet, stupid sausage.

Ground floor.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I bought a ps3 for this game, I see you are a fellow good decision-maker

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

This game. This loving game.

I was a big fan of Fallout 1 & 2, even liked Tactics a bunch. But the sheer volume of dumb little things to do in this game, plus how relatively unsatisfying I found the combat, saw me quit not long after the...third? fourth? major plot quest.

I had been max level for hours at that point.

What I'm saying is that I cannot be trusted with open world games, and Fallout 3 is where I found this out.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I played the poo poo out of this game back when it came out and loved it. Now I look back on it and realize that I never want to play it ever again.

Let's do this poo poo.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Ohh... a Fallout 3 let's play, I remember enjoying this game a lot on my ps3 I can't wait to see where this is going to go!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I played the poo poo out of this game back when it came out and loved it. Now I look back on it and realize that I never want to play it ever again.

Basically, I felt the same, except that I know this game is a mess and neither of the archived LPs really expose that.

It was a calling. I had to saddle up one last time.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
ohhh what the hell is about to happen here

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can only imagine the insane poo poo you'll get up to. I managed to break the game really hard and I bet I wasn't trying half as hard you will.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I love fallout and fallout 2. I love new Vegas. I like fallout 4 because it enables my obsession with building towers in which i can be a crazy sniper hobo.

Fallout 3 is fun, it has an atmospheric wasteland, but the writing suuuuuuuuuuucks.

I can only play it by filtering it through Tale of Two wastelands, which uses NV much improved stats and adds all of New Vegas' equipment to the game.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Let's do this poo poo.

Same. Put countless hours and mods into this game back in the day, and then just stopped one day and never picked it back up. Even with its' many, many issues, still love that opening bit with The Ink Spots and the bus zoom out, that was just such a perfect opening bit.

This will be amazing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I enjoyed FO3 when I first played it, finished the game, then never picked it up again, and I'm saying this as a dude who replayed FO2 and NV a whole bunch of times. To give the game its due, I think 3 is a good proof of concept, at least.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Just leave most of them alone and put Intelligence near the cap with a spare point in luck.

I'm disappointed. I was hoping for a different stat build: https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/stolen-pixels/5490-Stolen-Pixels-39-Not-a-People-Person

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Man, I haven't played FO3 in a long-rear end time. Should probably play it through Tale of Two Wastelands sometime.

Interested to see what kinda craziness this LP goes to, though.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I adore this game, whereas I barely touched NV. Definitely looking forward to this.

Seem to recall that it had a problem with crashing constantly on newer versions of Windows though; did someone ever fix that?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I played and enjoyed this game until I actually finished it, then never played it again. Then I got New Vegas and it retroactively made me hate this game, because this game could have been New Vegas, and wasn't.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

An Orange Fluffy Sheep LP of Fallout? This is going to be a magical trip, isn't it?

Also, wait, what's that about eating babies? I... I don't recall that from Fallout 3. Or babies in general in Fallout 3.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Helluva way for me to find out about Liam's hate story :stare:

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I was just talking about Spoiler Warning.

I played this game after Shamus Young and friends cut it to ribbons over what felt like a two hundred hour VLP. Boy oh boy was it a trainwreck, since I already knew about all kinds of game-breaking equipment, skill, and perk combos.

I can't wait to see what OFS does to the thing.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

This game totally blew my mind on launch. Can't wait for the rest of this LP to bring me on a glorious nostalgia trip, complete with :stonk:-level horrors

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
This is gonna be loving good.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Fallout 3 sucks so bad, but I dumped so much time into it when it came out. Really looking forward to this.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Sorites posted:

I played this game after Shamus Young and friends cut it to ribbons over what felt like a two hundred hour VLP. Boy oh boy was it a trainwreck, since I already knew about all kinds of game-breaking equipment, skill, and perk combos.

I played the game first and then saw the SW run of it. I accidentally ended up skipping an entire major section of the game due to a certain character in Megaton being an rear end in a top hat and only realized I'd missed it when I watched SW. I can't give any details yet without spoilers, though.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

F3 is the game I hold as the best example of the fans making the thing work, good on you modders!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Oh, yeah, does this LP include the DLC? Because the DLC for FO3 was better than the base game, in my opinion.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah sheep said in the OP it does. Which is why I'm kinda surprised he's gonna go for mostly 5s since a few pretty dec perks require 7 in AG and EN and he'd still have enough skill points for everything but maybe he knows something I don't.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

By popular demand posted:

Helluva way for me to find out about Liam's hate story :stare:

No poo poo

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Newest Reborn update looking weird.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

QuantaStarFire posted: