Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Post-Nuclear Beth's first ten years were apparently unremarkble besides the time she set her attributes.

"If only your mother...."

It's Post-Nuclear Beth's 10th birthday, and besides Liam Neeson, the cops, and the other children, in attendence is...

Alphonse Almodovar. The Overseer.

"You’ll be getting your first work assignment tomorrow. Ha ha ha ha ha!"

Kind of mean, but the Overseer's will is absolute down here in Vault 101, so I guess we just have to deal with it.

This is the first goal of the second quest, Growing Up Fast. We don't get to do much before our pal Amata talks to us.

Every dialogue up to this point has been a scripted sequence, someone talking to Beth or around Beth. This is the first proper talking-with-someone sequence. The person's name is in the upper-right, and their dialogue is in these dark boxes. The camera zoomes the heck in if the person initiates dialogue from a distance, as Amata just has.

These dialogues are defined by our ability to select responses. Sometimes these can have important consequences, but it's just Beth's tenth birthday party. It's the tutorial for this, how being rude makes people mean.

Except it can't even do that right, because you can't even be really mean. Except for one person, everyone treats you basically the same no matter what weird poo poo you say.

>Great party, Amata! Thanks for doing this for me.

"You're welcome. But really, your dad did most of it. I just helped with the decorations and stuff. Hey, I bet you can't guess what I got you for your birthday. Go on, guess! "

Is it boys? I'm boy-crazy! Yee haw! Boys!

:(

"I guess maybe I should give this to someone else... someone who'd rather curl up with Grognak the Barbarian than Freddie Gomez...The question is, how could you tell the difference? Ha ha ha."

She releases us from dialogue. Unlike Beth's infancy we can scroll back the camera to 3rd person view. It's not very useful except for showing off your #look. But as a child Beth hasn't matured into the baffling figure she'll become. Oh yeah. inventory.

The Pip-Boy 3000 is this game's diagetic menu system resting on Beth's left arm. These monochrome menus are how we manage inventory, check our stats and condition, look at the map and current quests, and more.

Beth could read this comic book now, but because she's a very normal human she'll wait over nine years to do so.

Beth can also take off her clothes because it's her party goddammit. Well, I would if people cared. It's the exception if an NPC reacts to your apparel (or lack thereof) not the rule.

...Came? Wasn't he born here, in vault 101, like everyone else, a thing that the intro established? If it's between you and Ron Perlman, I ain't believing you, Palmer.

While in a conversation, the outside world is frozen in time. Nothing moves except the person you're talking to... and the cursor.

I try to give her a second party hat.

Oh yeah, she gives Beth a sweetroll.

I immediately toss it on the ground. What's that about Andy?

The robot cuts the birthday cake with its circular saw, utterly obliterating it.

At least we can take & wear the party hats.

The big ol' mean bully, Butch DeLoria, is upset about the cake.

"Give me that sweetroll you got from Old Lady Palmer."

We have a shitton of options for this dialogue. Don't get used to it.

There's exactly one that mocks his alcoholic mother, though.

It makes him quite mad.

So mad he becomes hostile and tries to punch Beth apart right then and there. Beth cannot raise her own fists in self-defense because the combat tutorial is later and I guess they don't want me punching everyone in the party (I'd do this. They were right to stop me).

Eventually the adults get him to stop, but not until he actually causes 5 HP damage. Ironically, that's how much HP consuming the sweetroll restores. But I don't, Beth is just 1/40th of the way to death at her own birthday party.

I'm going to lie to Liam Neeson, I couldn't handle him because my arms don't work.

This is a valuable lesson Post-Nuclear Beth will take to heart - if someone tries to punch your entire life out, then plug them with several plasma bolts.

No one blames you if you don't throw the first punch!

Stanley, the janitor, has an even better present!

Golly gee wilikers! Apparel comes in bodywear and headwear, and provides damage reduction, a percentage modifier of damage characters take. Beth has 2 DR, so she takes 98% normal damage. Not great, yet.

Some pieces have bonuses to attributes or skills, like how this baseball cap will improve Beth's ability to maim someone with, well, a baseball bat.

Since I have a better hat, I decide to donate one of my party hats to the Overseer.

Since I had to do this via the stealing interface, it counts as an objectively evil action. Beth has done something bad.

Because Butch punched me and I chatted with a few people, someone calls up Liam Neeson on the intercom and we can finally move on from the birthday party.

Jonas, Liam Neeson's assistant, is in a dimly-lit basement.

Though Beth has lived here her entire life in Vault 101, I haven't (despite how long the intro feels) so I appreciate the signs.

>I'm not a kid! I'm ten years old!

"Ha ha ha. You sure are! Pip-Boy and everything, look at that! If you can wait just one more minute, I think your dad will want to give you the surprise himself."

Laim Neeson then descends the stairs.

>What kind of surprise?
"The Overseer gave you your Pip-Boy, and you're old enough to do some work. So I figure you’re old enough for this. Your own BB gun! It's a little old, but it should work perfectly. Jonas found it down here. It was in pretty rough shape -- took us a good three months to find the parts to get it working again. You know how tough it is to find a spring that small? Good thing Butch "misplaced" that switchblade of his. Ha ha ha! So, what do you think? Want to give it a try?"

The rude option veers into "blood psychopath" here. Beth is a blood psychopath, yeah, but, you know.

>Here? We can't shoot a gun here.

"We sure can't, unless we want the Overseer beating down our door. Jonas and I have found a place, though. C'mon!"

The BB Gun is a rifle-grip lever-action Small Gun with a very sad 4 base damage, putting it barely above child punches. About the only good things are their high ammo capacity at 50 and their low noise. This BB Gun is a special one that won't degrade with use and can't score critical hits, used only in this part of Growing Up Fast. Dad and Jonas complain when shot, but since it deals 4 damage it doesn't really affect them.

Mouse1.

It's the left mouse button.

We need to shoot the targets, not all three mind, speedruns go for right-center-right.

Mouse2, the right mouse button, is the aiming function. Fallout 3 has a very sad aim function that just zooms in the screen a bit. Some NPCs mention iron sights, and I am jealous of them.

Then a giant glistening roach emerges from the shadows. We could just use manual aiming like before, but it sucks. Let's make that AP bar in the corner do something.

V.A.T.S. is stat-based automatic targeting that uses various elements such as cover, distance, and skill to determine hit chance.

The Radroach's body parts can be individually targeted. Torso shots are your default center-of-mass, headshots do increased damage, and limb shots can be used to injure those body parts to reduce movement speed or make human enemies drop their weapons.

Since it's sideways relative to Beth, and she sucks at guns, I go for torso shots. BB Gun shots cost 28 AP and she has 75, so I can queue two. Its HP bar is blinking in and out, which indicates the estimated damage. Since it's the whole thing, it means that the attacks should be lethal.

V.A.T.S. attacks go into slow motion as they are carried out, with some wild camera angles, especially for killing blows.

The kills also tend to have some... wild physics.

"Let's get a picture together. Capture the moment."

Post-Nuclear Beth, having ended her first life, stands beside Liam Neeson for a father-daughter picture. Wait don't cameras fla-

poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I have so many hours in this and I've done this intro so many times I'm actually hearing the voices in my head.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm sad that you skipped the part of the birthday party where the cop tells you what a worthless piece of poo poo Butch is. :(

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

So, did Vault 101 ever find a shortstop for the baseball team? Can we get Ron Perlman to narrate some closure here?

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Why? Why would you give a 10-year-old a gun like that? Why!?

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Epicmissingno posted:

Because war never changes.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Epicmissingno posted:

Beth cannot shoot herself with it, and it deals no splash damage.

She can't hurt herself.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
But you'll shoot your eye out, kid

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012
Ten can be old enough, depending on the child.

Not necessarily for THIS child, mind you. I have a feeling that for her 195 might be safer.

DGM_2 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 21, 2019

Malah
May 18, 2015

[Cannibal] Eat Baby

:allears:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm just on the edge of my seat waiting for the modded content to pop in, wondering whether maybe we've already seen it and it's just been fading into the background.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm just on the edge of my seat waiting for the modded content to pop in, wondering whether maybe we've already seen it and it's just been fading into the background.

I have exactly one in the load order for the main playthrough: Fellout, a visual mod that, among other things, removes the green tint.

I'll actually have mod stuff explicitly sectioned off in its own updates, partially so it's clear that things happening in the main playthrough are not because of mods, partially because I have an obsession with the weird poo poo.

I mean weird.

Why did you make the Sugar Bombs branded?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Aw, I'd hoped you'd just loaded it up with every weird-rear end mod you could, so the main playthrough would be a completely unrecognizable mishmash mess of hellzone mods.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

PurpleXVI posted:

Aw, I'd hoped you'd just loaded it up with every weird-rear end mod you could, so the main playthrough would be a completely unrecognizable mishmash mess of hellfuckzone mods.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Ah, so it's both of the two standard SA LP approaches to mods in games like this, in the one LP. :v:

Not having a go at you personally there to be clear, it just seems like it's always either absolutely no mods or "crushing the game under the weight of all the worst and weirdest poo poo I could find, look at how lolwacky it is".

Anyway, hey; Fallout 3. Tellingly, since The Best Fallout Game came out I, uh... haven't wanted to go back to FO3. I did put a lot of time into it up until that point though, and made a bunch of mods for it of course.

(FO3's level design is great, but the writing is an unrelenting trash-fire, wow. I just can't stomach it anymore.)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Antistar01 posted:

(FO3's level design is great, but the writing is an unrelenting trash-fire, wow. I just can't stomach it anymore.)

While I wasn't a fan of FO3's writing, I actually think the world design bugged me more. Like... there was no... road or even path network connecting everything. No sense that any of the towns had any trade with any other places. They were just there, slapped down from orbit and didn't seem to notice there was a wider world. That was what really hosed up any sense of immersion I might have had.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PurpleXVI posted:

While I wasn't a fan of FO3's writing, I actually think the world design bugged me more. Like... there was no... road or even path network connecting everything. No sense that any of the towns had any trade with any other places. They were just there, slapped down from orbit and didn't seem to notice there was a wider world. That was what really hosed up any sense of immersion I might have had.

Same- FO3 is the theme park version of Fallout, a whole bunch of fun and interesting vignettes barely connected, if that. It makes for a fun game, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason I have 50 hours in FO3 and over 300 in NV.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

To be fair, the first 2 Fallouts sort of had the same problem. There were the trade caravans, cultists and that was about it as far as signs of communication between the cities. Not even any roads or anything on the map that you could follow to find the places on your own.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Count me in as one who bought a PS3 so I could play this. I was (and am) a huge Fallout fan, so while I was disappointed by some of the things F3 did poorly (creating a convincing worldspace and character motivations, overusage of green bloom, nuanced good-evil choices, re-use of Ghouls/Super Mutants/BoS in a place that ot makes zeeo sense to find them), I was impressed that they did manage to make a game that feels like a fallout game. The Capital Wastes, despite its shortcomings, was still fun to explore. It gave me hope that someone, someday, might produce a better 3d Fallout game; and a few years later it came true.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Fallout 3 was a weird experience. There were times I believed it was a fallout sequel, and many other times when I thought it was just Oblivion with guns. The story made absolutely no sense and everything felt disconnected from one another. The story-line, as fan-fiction like as it came across, could have been salvaged if they made the game take place in the same time as Fallout 1 where civilization was still in the embryonic stages of things.The whole Little Lamplight having a constant influx kids for 200 years was one of the most grievous things that comes to mind. A user here saying that it was Fallout: The theme park and I wholeheartedly agree that is what it came across.

Looking forward to you spending countless hours opening metal boxes and lockers for financial clipboards, cups, pencils and toy cars.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So...

quote:

WTF is up with his arm?
Is he part deathclaw?

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I have so many hours in this and I've done this intro so many times I'm actually hearing the voices in my head.

Same. And seeing the game again after all this time, man, the dialogue choices in three are just painful at times. Having a choice between "We can't use a gun here." and "Mah aha ha, time to KILL!" is jarring as all get out.

CzarChasm posted:

So...

WTF is up with his arm?
Is he part deathclaw?

Looks like Stanley had to clean up one mess too many in the reactor level... :ohdear:

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

CommissarMega posted:

Same- FO3 is the theme park version of Fallout, a whole bunch of fun and interesting vignettes barely connected, if that. It makes for a fun game, don't get me wrong, but there's a reason I have 50 hours in FO3 and over 300 in NV.

That is true, yeah. I've seen it summarised as the "but what do they eat?" problem.

FO3's world is great to explore (I especially like the DC ruins/subway system mega-dungeon), but it kind of falls apart if you stop and think for even a moment about how any of it is supposed to fit together.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

My question is how and why there's enough income disparity to have both rich snobs and starving bandits.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
You mean, like how any of the residents of a certain settlement actually afford to live there? Or how the hell they haven't already been overrun by bandits?

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 22, 2019

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Or why clean water is a problem when all of the mr gutsy robots, of which there are many of them, have enough built in water condensers to supply every human, mutant and ghoul in the wasteland.

Fallout 3 is a dumb game.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

RickVoid posted:

You mean, like how do any of the RICH SETTLEMENT residents actually afford to live there?

No, I mean what makes anyone rich compared to anyone else. Everyone has the same amount of food (zero), the same number of caps (several hundred), and comparable equipment (level scaled), and nobody has bothered to build a house or sweep the floors in two hundred years.

I'm getting ahead of the LP though. I'll save the rest of my setting gripes for later.

... Except to ask where the Vault dwellers are getting clean white paper to make posters with, two hundred years into their imprisonment.

That huge time skip was the biggest unforced error in the entire game development process, by an enormous margin. I spent my entire first playthrough thinking it would be an in-universe lie by the Overseer, because the Wasteland looks like it's been at most a month and a half.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 22, 2019

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
There's literally a quest named Tenpenny Tower, guys, we'll get to it.

Sheesh.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Quote is not edit

Editted my posts, sorry OFS. Sorites, edit my quote please.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
You're not taking my sweetroll

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The line should really read "Go soak your head bitch, you're not getting my sweet roll"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Basically, I felt the same, except that I know this game is a mess and neither of the archived LPs really expose that.
I just want to say that this is literally the best possible reason to LP this game and you're doing God's work.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
At this point I don't remember Fallout 3 well enough to really comment, but the mood that I got while wandering through the bombed out streets while Billie Holiday played from my PIPBoy immersed me into the game at the time. Just having 50s and 60s music play while exploring the ruins of the Old World is something I'm really glad they kept for NV and 4.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I played this game for like three hours and then never felt the urge to open it again. It's so bland. I guess maybe I'll discover via this LP why people liked it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Like every other Bethesda game you have ro overlook a ton of poo poo to scrape at the few good parts within.
Its not selling a game as much as the expectation of an experience.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The game is generally good at its little scenes and areas, which in turn help build anticipation for finding the next little neat storylet. it's just that once you've experienced all these fun little bits and pieces there's not really any reason to go back.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I just want to say that this is literally the best possible reason to LP this game and you're doing God's work.

:hmmyes:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

As someone who grew up and lives in the DC metro area, I just wanna see how inaccurate it is. Is it supposed to be Southern Maryland + DC + Northern Virginia, or just one of the neighboring states?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Welcome to the Mod Scene, where we throw in some stupid poo poo in the load order and look at the consequences.

Since these mods deal with the intro, I make a new character.

He won't do much.

He'll look great though.

Well.

This is a mod titled no bible verse. Looks like the texture replacement didn't go well, so it's using ceiling textures. I think that's what this is.

Dad's taking an awful long time, so let's crack open the console and see what's up!

Pressing ` on the PC version opens the debug console, which lets you do a shitton ot things. One of the easier ones to remember is "tcl" - the noclip command!

Ah, he's just standing there.

That's what Liam Neeson does when he's out of the room here, he's just standing there.

Sexiest drat vault lab suit texture ever.

Oh. Right. This replaces the bible verse with something much less wholesome.

This is the preview image provided by the creator. Probably for the best it didn't work right, then.

Birthday party drags on, I clip a mug into the Overseer's head before I can finally go and get the bb gun and be able to shoot things.

The first mod is a lovely content replacement that tries to sex up the game. Let's go a different direction for the other one today.

"tgm" is the console command for God Mode - you don't take damage, use ammo, or consume AP, you know. God Mode!

I'm here mostly to shoot Jonas in the head 26 times for the other mod I am showcasing here.

It's Essential No More - a mod that removes the essential tag from every NPC, meaning story-important NPCs are no longer protected from death.

However, as Jonas and Liam Neeson have... passed, Prostidudetion is stuck in a perpetual 10th birthday, unable to continue his life.

This is the risk of removing the essential tag, severing the thread of prophecy as Morrowind called it. We're stuck in a doomed world. Forever ten.

Alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

megane posted:

I played this game for like three hours and then never felt the urge to open it again. It's so bland. I guess maybe I'll discover via this LP why people liked it.

The time frame when the game came out was a major factor. Not having a mainline Fallout game for so long, and then 3 comes out to much hype. That slowly died down as the warts of the game became apparent, but as some others have said, the set piece areas are fantastic, although they really are a one and done affair and often are just, there.

EDIT: Ahh mods and broken textures, a classic. But hey, might be stuck as 10 forever but at least you got 10 whole xp out of killing your father so, break even I guess. :shrug:

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 22, 2019