Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

UED Special Ops posted:

The time frame when the game came out was a major factor. Not having a mainline Fallout game for so long, and then 3 comes out to much hype. That slowly died down as the warts of the game became apparent, but as some others have said, the set piece areas are fantastic, although they really are a one and done affair and often are just, there.

Part of the problem with FO3 is that it can't really decide if it wants to be an RPG or an FPS. Like the whole VATS thing that's grafted on, it's just kind of there to replace the fact that the gunplay and combat just don't really... work satisfactorily. Some games manage to mix the two genres, but FO3 just feels like a weird The Fly teleporter accident.

UED Special Ops posted:

EDIT: Ahh mods and broken textures, a classic. But hey, might be stuck as 10 forever but at least you got 10 whole xp out of killing your father so, break even I guess. :shrug:

If I remember right it's weirdly possible to win the game as a baby but not as a 10-year-old. Though obviously requiring a fat load of glitches to abuse. Or possibly it's the other way around, Ymfah did it in his pacifist FO3 run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

oh no

will there be anime here

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

oh no

will there be anime here

where we’re going, we’ll actually need offputting, gargantuan, probably uniquely colored eyes to see :unsmigghh:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Its fallout James Hetfield

bum. bum-bum-buuuuuuum

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

Ah, so it's both of the two standard SA LP approaches to mods in games like this, in the one LP. :v:

I'm guessing that one is vanilla. What's the other one, "go nuts with the mods?"

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

That is true, yeah. I've seen it summarised as the "but what do they eat?" problem.

This is probably what you're thinking of: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27089

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I miss when Shamus did deep dives into major games.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Sorites posted:

I miss when Shamus did deep dives into major games.

:confused:

How long has it been since you looked? He just finished a 25-part series on Spiderman last month. And over in the Celdia FFT thread you didn't seem to realize Spoiler Warning was still going either...

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

DGM_2 posted:

I'm guessing that one is vanilla. What's the other one, "go nuts with the mods?"

Well yeah, that's... what I said:

Antistar01 posted:

... it just seems like it's always either absolutely no mods or "crushing the game under the weight of all the worst and weirdest poo poo I could find, look at how lolwacky it is".

DGM_2 posted:

This is probably what you're thinking of: https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27089

Yep, that's probably it. It's a good criticism of the game. (Potentially some spoilers at that link, for anyone worried about that.)

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Antistar01 posted:

Well yeah, that's... what I said:

:doh:

So you did. Sorry, I have NO idea why that part didn't register.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

DGM_2 posted:

:doh:

So you did. Sorry, I have NO idea why that part didn't register.
This is your brain on FO3

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Teen Beth incoming.

I'm super miffed that the game just does not want to have Beth's super cool hair.

So uh, what is this exam? Luckily we're shunted straight into dialogue with Liam Neeson.

>Anything I need to know about the G.O.A.T.?

"Helps to figure out what sort of job you'll have here in Vault 101 when you get a bit older. So, pay attention and try not to fall asleep. You know what the Overseer says: "We're born in the Vault. We die in the Vault." Each is tested to determine their abilities, that they may work for the betterment of all Vault residents. Sound familiar?"

Post-Nuclear Beth a cool smart teen who's asking the tough questions. She's a YA protagonist except for the part where she will steal everything not nailed down.

>Do we have to die in the Vault? Can't we ever leave?

"That's not the way it works. And it won't do to go around asking questions like that. Especially not around the Overseer. I want to tell you something now. It's important, so listen closely: this place, this Vault... it's not perfect, I know. But it is your home. You're safe here. Stay on the Overseer's good side, and you always will be. You understand? You need to appreciate all you have."

He speaks like he's not from the vault, almost as if that's the case. On the topic of chats that feel super serious as if this is the last time we'll get to talk to him:

>Can we talk about, you know... mom?

"Your mother, she... she was beautiful. But... beyond the beauty you've seen. There's just so much those old photos can never show. And she was passionate. About life, about love. But most of all, most of all she was passionate about you. When she became pregnant, it was the happiest I had ever seen her. Ahhhh.... she had great things in mind for you.... "

Busted.

Liam Neeson has a terminal on his desk. It's a computer, you know, but we call them terminals here because it's the retrofuture.

Terminals are your number one stop for big ol' text dumps. No, despite the warning about confidentiality, Liam Neeson does not care that we're poking at his private writings.

Like, Freddie Gomez is suffering from depression because the human psyche was not meant to stay in concrete tunnels 24/7 with no hope of escape!

Or that Liam Neeson and Jonas are performing experiments of some kind using water chips!

A broken water chip was the impetus for the protagonist in the first Fallout, but luckily they haven't broken one here.

Hey, look what Liam Neeson has on his desk!

Bobbleheads permanently improve skills by ten points upon being obtained, then they sit in the invetory until we find a fancy bobblehead stand to display it.

Then I shove the things I took off his desk - for visual clarity - into a locker.

Near the classroom we find Butch and some cronies harassing Amata. They have cool leather jackets that say "Tunnel Snakes".

Butch says this thing: "I can show you a real tunnel snake, Amata."

They're in a cool tough gang named after Butch's penis.

This speech challenge has a difficulty rating of... if my math is right, about 40. Beth has 16 speech (+10 from 5 CH, +4 from 5 LK +2 from the Vault 101 Jumpsuit) and this score is increased 33% by the 5 charisma. I don't go for it.

Telling him that she's sensitive about her weight is a mean thing to do, and does not get Beth an unusual gun or hat, so that's out too.

>Leave her alone, or you'll answer to me.

" And who are you? Her girlfriend? Ha! Should have known. Keep talking like that, girl, and we'll send you back to your daddy with a few broken bones for him to fix. C'mon, Tunnel Snakes! Let's go!"

Butch and his gang begin fisticuffs.

Well, we did stop fighting. Because the game crashed. Fallout 3 does that sometimes. Whoops.

CRASHES: 1

Reloading, I skip the dialogue and just go straight to punching Butch in the face.

The game considers this not only an objectively good action, but an extremely virtuous one at that. This event is supposed to be your introduction to the karma system, but like everything I'm gaming it. Post-Nuclear Beth is going to maintain neutral karma via balancing good actions with evil. Since petty theft is evil, she'll need to do good things in dialogue and quests to make up for it.

Even after he stops and decides to give up, I keep punching until he's completely out of HP. Butch has a property called "essential" meaning that he can't be killed. When out of HP, he just passes out and wakes up in a moment. Everyone but the radroach has had that property so far, in fact.

Except Beth. Is Beth a pest like a radroach...?

yes

I can just take a sip from the nearby water fountain and get over all the blood loss from being punched. It's fine.

Having punched a man into a crumpled heap, I go into the classroom to take the test.

Oops, Butch is still a crumpled heap in the hall.

After a moment, we're all set.

"No talking, and keep your eyes to yourselves."
"Haha!"
"Yes, I'm talking to you Mr. DeLoria! Unless anyone else has an insightful comment, let's get started."

Post-Nuclear Beth is a very, very smart girl.

"The infection is spreading at an alarming rate, but the doctor has stepped out for a while. What do you do?"

None of these sound sneaky or lockpick-y.

That's what the G.O.A.T. is.

"He’s hungry and frightened, but also appears to be in possession of stolen property. What do you do?"

Beth is amoral, not good, not evil, merely seeking to increase the amount of things she has.

gently caress BASEBALL >:O

cmon granny give me the bibg gunnes

"pick the lock" is literally one of the answers omg

Dammit, I wish embracing my cool new hand was an option.

Beth would steal, obviously. In fact we're going to do multiple things like this.

All of these sound very mean to pull on Liam Neeson, but only one of them involves breaking a lock.

"He who shelters us from the harshness of the atomic Wasteland, and to whom we owe everything we have, including our lives?"

Hm.

drat it was 10 questions to determine my very future.

> Wow! That's what I've always wanted to be. My dreams are finally coming true!

"Yes, um, it's refreshing to see such, ah, youthful enthusiasm. Good to know that the G.O.A.T. occasionally gets it right. You know what they say about monkeys and typewriters... Well, I'm glad things turned out so well for you. I hope your classmates find their results half as satisfying."

Apparently the G.O.A.T. is not very good at its one job.

I mean, no kidding, it didn't get Lockpick!

So the G.O.A.T. has 15 different results depending on the choices and determines your three tagged skills. Tagged skills just have 15 extra points, no other changes.

So, I've refered to all of them at one point or another, what are these skills?

Barter affects buying and selling prices of items, each point in the skill a .45% modifier to each starting at 155/45 and ending up at 110/90 at 100. Barter helps early on since you're a very poor teen in a big wasteland with few guns, but it's not one to rush. The economy of Fallout 3 is rather fragile even discounting all the insane ways to make cash.

Big Guns determines the damage and accuracy of the biggest killing devices in the game. They're heavy, they have high rates of fire or expensive explosive rounds, and they're very very lethal. Big Guns is a long-term investment skill, not one to tag at the start. They also don't handle critical hits very well. Rapid-fire weapons have low critical hit rates and low damage-per-crit since they shoot so much, and missile launchers just cannot crit at all.

Energy Weapons is a small but potent category without the DLC and goddamn busted with it. Energy weapons hand out critical hits like candy and barely have drawbacks to go with it. The only one is that they and their ammunition is kind of rare at first. Not much of a drawback really.

Explosives handles grenades and mines. I never liked Fallout 3's explosives, felt like grenades can ride on their high base damage and mines are hard to use when most encounters are you approaching enemy groups or wide-open outdoor battles. The skill affects the timer on planted mines - higher skill means more time to find and disarm them - but, eh.

Lockpick seems simple but it has untold powers and potential. There's a lot of fun loot behind locked doors and in locked boxes. Some of it unique! That, and it pisses me off to be told no, I can't go in there.

Medicine increases the potency of stimpaks, radaway, and rad-x, essential items for surviving the hostile wasteland. There's a few checks for this skill in dialogue and quests, and using fewer resources to get back to full health is never a bad thing.

Melee weapons are handy because you don't have to reload your baseball bat. Just keep swinging until the bad guy falls over. They scale rather well from humble improvised weapons like pool cues and kitchen knives to some hosed up murder devices, too.

Repair is the skill for fixing your crumbling guns and dissolving clothes. The worse condition something is in, the worse it performs, and a high Repair skill not only makes each repair better but increases the cap on how well something can be repaired. Suddenly, six broken pieces of junk become one dandy gun!

Science is like lockpicking but for terminals. It's better than it sounds. Some doors and containers have a terminal that manages the lock next to them, turret systems can be hacked, and some stuff you just don't get until you tell a computer you're boss.

Small guns covers your normal ballistic firearms, y'know, pistols, assault rifles, shotguns, that stuff. Small guns are the most plentiful type of weapon, and have the widest variety in terms of application. You can't go wrong with it, really.

Sneak affects how well you stay hidden, the skill sometimes just lets you crouch next to a man and he is utterly unaware you exist now. Attacks made while concealed cause sneak attack critical hits which deal even more damage than normal, and, well, an enemy that's unaware of you isn't shooting you.

Speech is a loving mess. The skill, multiplied based on Charisma, is compared against the target difficulty of a speech check to form the percentage chance it works. You can invest in speech, or just savescum. It's a loving mess.

In addition, Speech can solve quests or skip some entirely, and it's goofy to see you pick a dialogue option, see the person tell you you're full of poo poo, load a save, say the exact same thing, and they change their entire outlook on life instantly.

Unarmed is a little bit of a misnomer. It's your hand-to-hand skill as there are weapons that augment your fisticuffs. It's like melee weapons, except it's insanely strong with a few perks and weapons that let you punch God. But without that investment, Melee weapons are better. Basically, lower floor, higher ceiling.

Naturally, Post-Nuclear Beth will manipulate the world to let her be good at everything but we need some short-term goals. Lockpick and Sneak are necessary to steal everything that isn't nailed down and energy weapons because I think I'll do some sneaky tricks.

We can just hang out and see what the rest of the team got.

Butch responds poorly.

"You're so full of it! That isn't true!"

No one else is very interesting except...

Haha.

I think I tried to plant a coffee mug on him and failed. Being caught pickpocketing is the WORST because you don't get to try again.

Upon stepping out of the darkened room into the hall lights, Beth goes blind again...

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Oh boy, a crash counter. I don't recall exactly how crashy Fallout 3 was, but I knew that once you start adding mods it becomes an issue of 'when', not 'if'. Save often, save in multiple files.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Man this is some flat writing. The whole GOAT test gives me this vibe of "yeah it's not really that funny but whatever gently caress it." I... uh, yeah, sure thing Bethesda. And it's not the LP, I remember thinking this when I played it back in college. I know some 6th graders who would think it was hilarious, but not many other people.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When FO3 first came out I looked up an LP of it as I didn't have a PC that could run it nor a console for it. This guy loving loved question 10. Doing the whole "stop and laugh for a solid minute" thing that would later be the number 1 padding tactic of webcam LPers of today.

The guy also left in him collecting each and every can and other assorted crap he came across so yeah. A pioneer

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

"Which of these do you think would be the funniest way to kill your dad" is a hell of a question to put on a career aptitude test, game.

This is going to be quite a thing, isn't it. I've never seen this game before, so I'll be seeing everything for the first time in this thread. I have no idea what I'm in for.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
The one and only good thing about the whole G.O.A.T sequence is the utter disdain and sad resignation in the teachers voice as he reads the questions, especially the last one, knowing full well how BS the whole "test" is and how a current or past Overseer obviously put that last question there. Heck, picking one of the other options in response to your future job has him flat out say the whole thing is crap and can have him change the result to whatever you want. A rare moment of actual decent writing. And yeah, crashes and Fallout 3, those will be a treat, especially when walking through a door to load a new area. Fun times...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
FO3 got less crashy as they patched it, at the very least.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

PurpleXVI posted:

FO3 got less crashy as they patched it, at the very least.

Pfft, check out Mr. Adrenalin here with his patches and sensible load order. Live a little.:pcgaming1:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

UED Special Ops posted:

The one and only good thing about the whole G.O.A.T sequence is the utter disdain and sad resignation in the teachers voice as he reads the questions, especially the last one, knowing full well how BS the whole "test" is and how a current or past Overseer obviously put that last question there. Heck, picking one of the other options in response to your future job has him flat out say the whole thing is crap and can have him change the result to whatever you want. A rare moment of actual decent writing. And yeah, crashes and Fallout 3, those will be a treat, especially when walking through a door to load a new area. Fun times...

Oh yeah the voice acting.

At least go to 2:37 for video games's second best oh no.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
This is an awful game, it's an even worse fallout game. Still didnt stop me playing it to death.

Just curious, what's some of the better ways to break this game? Eg: getting insane amounts of money, broken combat builds.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Foul Ole Ron posted:

This is an awful game, it's an even worse fallout game. Still didnt stop me playing it to death.

Just curious, what's some of the better ways to break this game? Eg: getting insane amounts of money, broken combat builds.

To answer this would be to give you the rough outline of the LP.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

Playing it.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah it's really not that hard of a game.
Unless you hamstring yourself intentionally you just naturally slide into being a god of death

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

To answer this would be to give you the rough outline of the LP.

I knew book marking this thread would pay dividends :q:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
In the mod update OFS already showed off the be-all-end all tool to breaking the game: the console. Using that and a wiki so you know what the commands are you can tweak pretty much everything you want.

It's also vitally important for fixing things when the game breaks them.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Stealing everything so you're over-encumbered by the time you leave the tutorial is the only way to play IMO

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The Z control to move items can be useful. Like for showing off your not creepy at all collection of all the gnomes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I only really remember getting to the first major town you’re pointed towards, doing a bunch of sidequest poo poo from there, and never coming close to the next step of the main story before my interest petered out hard on this game. Watching hbomberguy’s video essay on it (not linking because it spoils the hell out of the entire game) convinced me that I probably made the right call.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I tried playing this again over the summer through Tale of Two Wastelands, using the signature weapons mod to use a weapon type I never had before.

Grenades.

Turns out that when you have a portal to the grenade dimension you tend to blow yourself up a lot. I hadn't even upgraded the splash area yet for a 'Throw with your whole body' situation, but I was still limping away from every single fight with at least one crippled limb. Ended up losing interest eventually.

Looking forward to following this, Fallout 3 was my first Bethesda game and it still has a place in my heart Probably will be chiming in from time to time about various things.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.

Regalingualius posted:

I only really remember getting to the first major town you’re pointed towards, doing a bunch of sidequest poo poo from there, and never coming close to the next step of the main story before my interest petered out hard on this game.

That's how my attempts to play Skyrim also went. Bethesda just isn't for me, I think.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Finally found enough free time to catch up with this thread. Now I can settle in for OFS' Wild Ride. :munch:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
oh loving hell yes OFS demolishing a bethesda game

I am super here for this :dance:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Foul Ole Ron posted:

The game is one of the most open to being broken in many little pieces as other have said.

I won't link here, because every video on the subject is full of spoilers, but if you look up Mitten Squad on youtube one of his gimmicks is playing bethesda games with weird rules and restrictions to make the gameplay more difficult or unique.

Some examples: Beating Fallout 3 without taking any damage (one point of damage will kill him), playing as a baby through the whole game, playing with 0 skills or perks, only using one specific weapon or no weapon, without killing anything or anyone, etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

The game is one of the most open to being broken in many little pieces as other have said.

I won't link here, because every video on the subject is full of spoilers, but if you look up Mitten Squad on youtube one of his gimmicks is playing bethesda games with weird rules and restrictions to make the gameplay more difficult or unique.

Some examples: Beating Fallout 3 without taking any damage (one point of damage will kill him), playing as a baby through the whole game, playing with 0 skills or perks, only using one specific weapon or no weapon, without killing anything or anyone, etc.

Ymfah is my favourite for those things. At this point I think he's done a zero-kill, a zero-carry weight and a level 1 run of just about every Bethesda game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The zero carry weight ones are particularly fascinating and entertaining, especially the New Vegas one. Definitely worth checking these out!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, he basically runs around naked and unarmed for the entire main storyline, then?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Regalingualius posted:

So, he basically runs around naked and unarmed for the entire main storyline, then?

It's a combination of finding quest items that can be used as weapons/armor(as they weigh nothing), finding ways around encounters that would annihilate him(because he carries nothing) and avoiding events that force things into his inventory(because they weigh things), as well as alternate routes/solutions for quests that require him to carry things(because if they're generic non-quest items they will weigh something).

It's pretty ingenious and the editing is extremely on point.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Explopyro posted:

"Which of these do you think would be the funniest way to kill your dad" is a hell of a question to put on a career aptitude test, game.

This is going to be quite a thing, isn't it. I've never seen this game before, so I'll be seeing everything for the first time in this thread. I have no idea what I'm in for.

:same: This is going to be a treat.

Regalingualius posted:

This is how I played Fallout 2.

Turns out "naked and unarmed" isn't that big of a detriment when you're carrying DEEZ GUNS. :boom: Granted, 0 weight wasn't happening because quest items in that game weigh you down, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Many a True Need did his Yolo series on both fallout 3 and new vegas, a permadeath run where every single lost hit point was gone for good.
It is hilarious to see him run the gently caress away from bloatflies.