Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
A curved sword like from my favourite Chinese cartoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Actually that sword looks like a pretty solid rendition of a teched-up chinese Jian, which are in fact straight two-edged swords.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
It's as straight as Beth is, which is to say, dangerously.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I didn't know you could steal the gear out of the VR sim, and here I thought you stuffing Gary's corpse into the pod was for shits and giggles.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Man, the Chinese Stealth Armor. Probably the most busted thing in the entire game. Also kinda fun.

Stealth in general was rather busted in Fallout 3. Nothing like slapping on a stealthboy then crouching and holding a ripper into the junk of a Super Mutant Behemoth until it falls over. If the stealth suit is a permanent stealth boy effect... yeah, that's stupidly busted.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

Stealth in general was rather busted in Fallout 3. Nothing like slapping on a stealthboy then crouching and holding a ripper into the junk of a Super Mutant Behemoth until it falls over. If the stealth suit is a permanent stealth boy effect... yeah, that's stupidly busted.

It gives a stealth field like the stealth boy, but a much smaller stealth bonus. The stealth field is also weaker but I don't know if that actually matters. And since skills over 100 count as 100 uhhh if you have 85+ sneak it's basically like a permanent stealth boy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Megaton has a Water Processing Plant, judging by the sign.

It's staffed by a single guy named Walter. He says everything with a completely neutral face, unless he's being shot. Then he uses Pain 100.

>What can I do to help around here?

"Well, it's no secret that the ol' water treatment plant is on its last legs. And I'm the only one in town that can keep the drat thing running."

"Now, I don't expect much from strangers, but if you've got the knowhow, I need someone to hunt down and repair those leaks. From the pressure in the plant, my guess is that there are three of 'em scattered around town. Check along the pipes and the valves, but they might be a bit tricky to spot."

>I'll keep it in mind.

"I hope you can help. If folks knew how bad it was getting up here... well... I don't know what would happen."

The leaks have big comedy sprays. Here's one in sight when walking in.

Gotta be a master plumber

30 points.

One is top of the Church of the Children of the Atom.

And another is next to a trail in the back of town.

"But listen, it's only a matter of time before they burst again, and someone like you might not be around to fix 'em. I'll make you a deal."

"If I have a steady supply of scrap, I can keep the plant running and the pipes should be just fine. We got a deal?"

>Sounds good to me. I'll bring you the parts I find.

"Good! This just keeps looking better! Those parts will keep this place running and the town in fresh water! Hurry back as soon as you find some!"

We can hand Walter Scrap Metal at 10 caps and 5 exp each. Or we can get 10 karma per by denying payment. Another way to micromanage Beth's morality.

Man the art is so fuckin rad, it's so bad future zeerust.

Fallout 3's concept artist was Adam Adamowicz, and he did some great work. Shame 2008 3d couldn't live up to it.

About now I start using the getav.karma command to check Beth's karma precisely. 55 means she's still neutral, it's -249 to 249.

To get to Galaxy News Radio, we have to brave the DC Metro tunnels to get into the heart of the city.

But it's all worth it to meet Three Dog!

Tex Beneke - A Wonderful Guy

Gotta have a ticket to take the metro.

Dammit.

Oh well, guess I'll activate the killbot.

The nuclear war has done a number to the systems, so the Protectron sees everything hosed and decides law and order must be established at any cost.

But not at Beth, she has a ticket.

Nikolai Tesla and You is the Energy Weapons skill book.

The DC Transit Authority has protocol for the emergency laser.

"Congratulations on receiving your new DCTA Standard-Issue Laser Pistol!
Please take a few minutes to go over the guidelines posted in the DCTA Employee Handbook; Section 28.1.1.b, and reprinted below for your convenience.

Section 28.1.1.b - Proper Laser Pistol Usage

It should be noted that all DCTA property should be handled with the utmost care, and used only when necessary. Maintaining personal safety during a Communist attack is a good example of proper usage of your standard issue laser pistol. However, rodent population control is an inappropriate use and subject to disciplinary action, as noted in Section 11.3.5.c.

Section 28.1.1.b.1 - Maintaining Safe Conditions With the Laser Pistol

Using this laser pistol in the DCTA Metro facility can be beneficial in many ways, but the operator must observe his or her surroundings before deciding to fire. The subway utility pipes often serve as conduit to transport highly flammable gasses. Firing the laser pistol in the presence of a gas leak could cause an undesired explosion and/or severe personal injury.

Section 28.1.1.b.2 - Operating the Laser Pistol Within Proper Specifications

It is required that all DCTA Employees keep the laser pistol pulse energy, length and repetition rate within the specifications diagrammed in the Laser Pistol User's Manual. Failure to do so could result in severe reprimands from the DCTA Regulatory Committee as well as serious personal injury."

The terminal has a button to release a shitton of gas for no reason.

Shooting lasers at gas leaks causes a big kaboom! It'd be great for clearing out these feral ghouls, except I had already killed them via sword.

The Brotherhood of Steel's Winged Sword With Gears In A Circle (snake with a rose in its mouth pending) logo is next to a sign saying GNR this way.

The other way is caved in so I guess I have to.

Might as well let my enemies beat each other up for me. Though most of the wasteland is hostile to Beth, they're hostile to things not like themselves too.

Surfacing in Tenleytown, who's using the Pulowski Preservation Shelter?

Someone who thought it'd work, it seems.

Oh crap the super mutants have found Beth!

Mattress is askew, clearly the bed cannot be used. It's just impossible.

Beth isn't alone in getting shot at by super mutants.

She's in power armor so she must be important.

"The Super Mutants have overrun our brothers at the Galaxy News Radio building, and we're headed there to back them up. You can tag along if you want. But keep your head down and try not to do anything... stupid."

>Wait... Who the hell are you people?

Sentinel Sarah Lyons is super important because she doesn't have a helmet so we can see her face emote.

>Wow. You guys don't screw around.

"If we don't try to keep the mutants from killing everyone and everything in the Capital Wasteland, who will? The Brotherhood does its best, but sometime's it takes a little something... special. That's where the Lyons' Pride comes in."

>You mentioned something about Galaxy News Radio?

"There aren't a lot of safe places in the ruins right now, but the Galaxy News Radio building is sort of our port in the storm. Unfortunately, the building's been hit pretty hard lately. We're their backup. So if there are no more questions, we really need to move out."

It seems things went well for Initiate Jennings.

Trying to go through Early Dawn Elementary doesn't go well. It looks fine, but this frame is so well timed because it's a crash.

CRASHES: 2

Ah, the beautiful GNR radio tower.

But on discovering it, things go great.

By which I mean another crash.

CRASHES: 3

Third attempt, it doesn't crash and Initiate Reddin, who isn't laying dead on a mattress, is mouthing off about her success.

...Well this is nice to find. The guy is always here and always dead, but only has nuclear armaments if you come here as part of Following In His Footsteps and fight with Lyons.

The Biblical creature?!

No, something a little more immediate.

The Super Mutant Behemoth is a story tall and uses a fire hydrant as a bludgeon! They have an incredible 2,000 hit points and that club hits for a full 100 damage a clobberin'.

It makes short work of Vargas, but he's essential so he can sleep it off. Ah, but this Fat Man I am trying to aim. It uses those Mini-nukes, which, are, well,

Miniature nukes.

The Fat Man is a big gun with a wildly high 1600 kapow damage, so much that it still has incredible damage at low condition and with Beth's meager big gun skills. Spread of 2 is insignificant compared to the size of the explosion and the catapulting launch with a very noticeable arc. No critical hits, though.

The nuclear explosion is huge, it's radioactive and it broke a lot of Beth.

Shotgun to the head takes what's left of it after a little nuclear bombardment.

They have a bunch of random loot. A treasure trove.

"Anyway, the area's secure, so you're free to talk to Three Dog if you need to."

>I'm sorry about Reddin...

"She died well. In the end, that's all that really matters."

She says to Vargas in a bit:

"When we get back to the Citadel, I'll talk to the scribes. Let it be chronicled that Paladin Reddin passed her test."

But Brotherhood business is Brotherhood business, I have a radio DJ to pester.

Ok so I had to go in to the building and then into another place to get to the studio.

There's only one thing of interest in there, a Big Book of Science.

And I guess the DJ.

Age unknown, birthplace unknown. He's an enigma on the radio waves.

"And you, well... I know who you are. Heard about you leavin' that Vault, travelin' the unknown. Just like dear old Dad, hmm? Met him already..."

>Holy poo poo! You're that guy from the radio!

"Yup! Guilty as charged! He he. I don't usually have exposure to the public like this. It's nice to know someone's listening. Makes carrying on the Good Fight that much easier."

>The Good Fight? What's that all about?

"Imagine a picture, okay? A picture of the Capital Wasteland. All that brick and rock. A whole lot of nothing, right?"

"But then you've got all kinds of poo poo... Slavers, Super Mutants, Raiders... They all want a slice of the pie too and aim to take it by force."

The Good Fight, as Three Dog puts it, is struggling to reject the negative forces in the Wasteland and encouraging people to come together instead of tearing each other apart.

"Since you know all about the cause, no need to explain the effect. Let's get you on your way."

>How did you know I was looking for my Dad?

"Oh come on. You're a splitting image of the guy. He's been here before, and now you're here. Doesn't take a genius to figure it out. You want to find your dad, and it just so happens his location is known to yours truly."

Beth is not contributing very well as she has enslaved two people.

We can skip this stage entirely with a speech check. Beth isn't up to that.

>I'm ready for anything.

"Good, 'cause this isn't going to be easy. Galaxy News Radio is my baby. I love it, I feed it, I keep it changed. But there's one problem, no one outside D.C. can hear her cry."

>I see where this is going.

"Yep. That shiny thing was our broadcast relay. Now it's swiss cheese. Without it, our broadcast range is quite limited. Of course the factory that made the relay dishes is long gone. Leveled. As in, we're never gonna' scavenge that part again."

>All right. How can I help?

"One of the Brotherhood guys that passed through here mentioned seeing a dish in one of D.C.'s old museums."

"I want you to get it and bring it to the Washington Monument to replace the bad one. That's it."

>You've got yourself a deal.

"He he! I sure know how to pick 'em! You're going to be the best thing that ever happened to Galaxy News in a long time. If you need any more info, I'll be here waiting for you."

>What's the best way to get to the Museum?

"Head out the back door of GNR and take the Collapsed Car Tunnel to the other side of Dupont. Then take the metro tunnels until you're there. Hey, be careful though... you'll have to find another way back 'cause it's a one-way trip."

Immediately after the pleasant conversation, I give Three Dog a motorcycle helmet. I can only do this evilly though so Beth's down to 50 karma.

That's the National Mall to be specific, if you somehow don't know the names of things in Washington D.C.

Historic monuments of old world America, now a battlefield.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

And I guess the DJ.

I still have the start of these two lines burned into my brain from savescumming the speech check lo these many years ago :v:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The Good Fight, as Three Dog puts it, is struggling to reject the negative forces in the Wasteland and encouraging people to come together instead of tearing each other apart.

So, is this incredibly patronizing, or is your dad really dumb? The fact that there's an Intelligence check to parrot back words he said to you 3 seconds ago is probably the root problem here, actually.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

We can hand Walter Scrap Metal at 10 caps and 5 exp each. Or we can get 10 karma per by denying payment. Another way to micromanage Beth's morality.

'10 karma' is abstract and hard to understand. What is this in terms of plumbing repair per enslaved child?

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Evilly giving people stuff via pickpocket?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Foxfire_ posted:

'10 karma' is abstract and hard to understand. What is this in terms of plumbing repair per enslaved child?

Plumbing is a neutral act as it was paid for. No one can do good foe a paycheck, unless they can. The game is inconsistent on that.

It would take 20 scrap metal to offset one child slave.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

How much karma did we lose with free helmet vs Child Slavery?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

How common is scrap metal? On an average day, how many children could Beth enslave if she sold off all the scrap metal she finds?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Are there any people (you don’t have to name names) that it’s considered exceptionally evil to sell into slavery, or is it the same hit on your karma no matter who it is?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Can you sell slavers into slavery, and if so, does it count as good or bad? Also if so, can you run out of slavers this way, creating a weird paradox?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

When everyone is a slave, no one is.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Regalingualius posted:

Are there any people (you don’t have to name names) that it’s considered exceptionally evil to sell into slavery, or is it the same hit on your karma no matter who it is?

Everyone enslaved via Mesmetron has the exact same hit as Arkansas did. Bryan and the other child that can be enslaved are -400 and -200 respectively.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

How much karma did we lose with free helmet vs Child Slavery?

Free helmet was a 5 karma hit. If 20 scrap metal undoes a slave that means it's 200 karma.

So giving someone a sweet hat is 1/40th as evil as giving someone a human life.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Everyone enslaved via Mesmetron has the exact same hit as Arkansas did. Bryan and the other child that can be enslaved are -400 and -200 respectively.

Named children are more special than un-named, obviously

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

It's as straight as Beth is, which is to say, dangerously.

What was Jiang's actual sword doing in this one random training bunker

Apart from suffering the gravitational pull of the player character

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's an electrified Chinese officer sword. Are they generic in this game? I forget.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

goatface posted:

It's an electrified Chinese officer sword. Are they generic in this game? I forget.

There is a generic version, but it doesn't look as fancy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The sword itself is generic, but only this specific version deals electrical damage. The pattern on the blade is the wire for the electrical charge, which is neat.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Crane Fist posted:

What was Jiang's actual sword doing in this one random training bunker

Apart from suffering the gravitational pull of the player character

I always assumed that the simulation was intended to be horribly inaccurate wrt actual fallout lore and there wasn't actually a real Jiang who committed Seppukku in Alaska because an American called him a loser. The overlap between bunker stuff and simulation stuff is because the former was what the programmers had on hand while designing the latter.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I sequence broke this part and didn't meet Lyons but on the other hand I got a couple of free power armors.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I always assumed that the simulation was intended to be horribly inaccurate wrt actual fallout lore and there wasn't actually a real Jiang who committed Seppukku in Alaska because an American called him a loser. The overlap between bunker stuff and simulation stuff is because the former was what the programmers had on hand while designing the latter.

This actually makes a lot of sense

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Considering the rest of the game I dont think Bethesda thought that far or hard about it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

It's brought up ingame the simulation is grossly inaccurate due to General Chase's spotty demands. I'd say it's 50/50 on the sword being a real thing he claimed from the battlefield vs something he had made to back up his story.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Considering how the upper echelons of the government evacuated before the bomb and left him behind I can only guess that Chase was probably a completely useless wreck of a man that could not be trusted to guard a soda machine.

What his completed vision for the simulation would have been could only be guessed at.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Call of Duty

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

and considering that he owned the company that created the psychosis inducing hyper meth which he distributed to the troops , we can safely assume that he was just an absolute joy to hang out with and never ever made any politician feel on edge.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh poo poo without your SU avatar I totally forgot who you were.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Post-Nuclear Beth is going to explore the world with console commands. Using these powerful debug tools I can drag things unused but still in the code to light. I can conjure three items from the void.

The 10 marks them as from the 2nd item in my load order, Operation Anchorage. I can tell you one is TestPhilSnowHelmet, called Combat Helmet in the Pip-Boy. There's ID number, Reference ID or internal name, and the name displayed in-game.

I got PhilTestSnowHelmet for funsies.

Oh no! Jumping down to ground level has injured Post-Nuclear Beth severely!

However, Sim Regen Armor is combat armor with the amazing power to refill HP and restore limbs! It'll be Beth's go-to outfit for the following adventures so she's always raring to go.

coc stands for Center on Cell. Cells, or 3d worldspaces, have defined points characters are sent to when coc'd. Normally it's protection for falling out-of-bounds, but the coc console command can use a cell's reference ID to just plop Beth there.

Using this, I can explore unused cells by slotting in their reference IDs.

So don't mind me, just playing with my coc.

Beth is placed in a dingy poorly-lit hallway.

A corridor cut off at both ends, and all these doors?

templates of every bathroom in the wasteland. Seems this cell was used for copy-pasting bathrooms, instead of making the world-making guys construct

Warehousebathrooms is boring, let's go to a more exciting place, vendorchestscell.

Beth is plopped on top of floating footlockers in a seemingly empty void.

Maybe these can help! The Peepers are night vision goggles, however, they have a slight issue.

THEY'RE WAY TOO loving BRIGHT JESUS gently caress

The void is what it looks like. Falling into it re-cocs Beth.

The coc plane, as it's called. Most cells don't make it so easy. You might have to glitch through a wall to fall into it.

Most of these containers need keys, but this fridge is just Very Hard locked.

Don't mind Beth's competency, this is an endgame Beth save, from when she has accumulated all the trinkets and power.

These containers are apparently a bunch of vendor inventories, it's how they keep their poo poo hidden if you just blast their heads off.

It seems to be some bartender's, but I have no clue which.

It was an owned container, so Beth lost karma for opening it and taking the caps. Still neutral.

let's go to warehouserobots.

Immediately Beth is beset by a Mr. Gutsy, the popular robotic butler reworked to be a military weapon because flamethrowers and circular saws still destroy humans, with added plasma gun!

350 HP, 23 damage with the circular saw, 60 with the plasma gun, and 6 +2/5s flamethrower. They float over mines and water. Their weapons are mostly dangerous up close, as plasma bolts aren't the most accurate and the rest don't go very far.

It'd be dangerous to level 10 Beth, but Endgame Beth is threatened by nothing.

Well no poo poo.

The pods are full of assorted Protectrons like the one from the Super-Duper Mart and the Metro, waiting to be hacked and activated.

Let's coc on over to randomencounters.

The room is completely empty. The name suggests it has something to do with, well, random encounters, but it's empty for Beth.

Except the gene projector, the machine from the start of the game that let me create Beth's perfect face, is hovering in the room.

If you ever wanted to know what the texture on the back of it looked like, here it is.

Let's try this one, ffevendorchests.

It's a completely dark room. The pip boy light is the only light in here.

Peepers make it easy to tell there's nothing in here. If there are vendor chests they are elsewhere.

ffsceneroachcell is a bit different from these.

In this bizarre arena dimension hanging in the void, there's something happening way over there.

It seems to be a place to test the type A random encounter "radroach scavengers".

Beth kills 'em for no reason.

Also gibbed the body for no reason. Let's go to the sequel cell!

This one is testing Super Mutants with wasteland captives.

Endgame Beth can obliterate suns with her hands.

Beth does a good deed and frees this man in this hell dimension.

But then she kills him because she's a rebel.

Let's try kitmetro!

It's apparently a collection of metro parts. Beth is suspended in the void outside a stairway-to-tunnel piece.

Let's just turn off collision!

She's still stuck in this hellhole despite it.

I guess nothing left to do but go to the next cell, kitoffice.

loving PEEPERS

It's a dark office with terrifying out-of-bounds fog.

A lot of the doors just go into the void. Like a lot of these cells it's for copy-pasting for map designers.

This looks like it might be fun to look at, but,

the cell has weird coc planes and coc-blocks us.

Another kit!

kitvault is yet again more parts for copy-pasting. It's clean vault texture though.

The initial room is disconnected from everything and the coc planes are hosed.

Next one!

A Mr. Gutsy to be murdered.

ms14 refers to the quest "You Gotta Shoot Them In The Head" and there is a mystery here that I must solve... later...

Besides that, it's the same arena as the random encounter tests, but with skybox and a door at the far end.

I feel tricked by the normally inaccessable cell.

Next one!

warehousetraps has all the traps, like brahmin skulls on chains triggered by tripwires, bear traps, everything that Beth can accidentally set off that harms her.

I didn't know baby carriages had terrifying fake baby faces.

This is not the kind of toilet Beth normally drinks from.

Unlike most of these it has a door!

It has more traps that destroy Beth. Thank god for the regen armor.

It's part of warehousetraps, just underneath it.

And way over there are some deathclaws.

They're out of bounds so let's keep the creatures called "Deathclaws" over there.

And way over there are some ghouls on a mysterious flat plane.

what a wild cell. Let's go to a worse one on purpose.

There's some feral ghouls here too, no match for Endgame Beth.

zdcint17to21 is a sorta in-progress metro tunnel, it has enemies and a layout and planned exits, but no items or anything else.

This ladder would've led somewhere. It doesn't now.

There's still more unused and inaccessible cells out there, but that's enough for today. Some day, cocing around will continue...

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
It's like being visited by a dimension-hopping badass future Beth. That's always fun in fiction.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
No wonder every interior in this game looks the same

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E
We can never have enough coc. :colbert:

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Terrible! Did the developers know anything about the ✨~lore~✨?! Every true fan knows that coc and super-mutants are mutually separate!

PENIS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I swear to god I haven't forgotten this it's just taking me months to make a completely routine update for no reason.

I'm gonna resuscitate this I swear!!