Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Not a problem if it takes a while, I'm just glad that this is still going :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Before applying shotgun.

After applying shotgun.

Teddy Wilson and His Orchestra ft. Billie Holiday - Easy Living

Turrets are a pain for Beth; I wonder how they go for enemies?

With the power of hacking, Beth removes the targeting parameters so they go nuts. She could also deactivate them outright, leaving them docile as deactivated sheep.

Instead of raiders and turrets shooting her, they're shooting each other!

And now that they're all gone, Beth can take a nap.

These tunnels from Galaxy News Radio to the National Mall have a sampler platter of enemies from across the Wasteland. Super mutants, ghouls, raiders, wild animals, the works!

These things don't like each other, so when they overlap, there's fights! Beth let's them take care of each other some and crouches on the other side of a door.

After clearing up the stragglers, Beth hits level 11.

60 Medicine is a goal I wanted to hit for a while. Now, Speech is getting points because Impartial Mediation is making a full half of Beth's skill before this.

I mean, there's 4 other things going up, but Beth gets 20 points a level.

It's not enough, I want Beth to use all weapons eventually. Beth's build is "all." So, +15 points to big guns.

Beth emerges at the wrong station. Discover it for fast travel, back to the tunnels.

Well, if I don't get the ghoul, a nuclear engine exploding should do it.

...Interesting. There's no downsides to eating besides the rads, either.

This is the location of the named quest "Riley's Rangers" which I don't want to do right now.

But I can just mark it like I did Dupont Station and save it for, like, most of the game.

I really put them on the back burner.

This is the right way, both in that I am going to a museum and the Brotherhood have put their tacky logo on there.

It needs a skull and a snake with a rose in its mouth.

I think a lot more than his head got crippled!

With how many downed tunnels and wrecked trains and detours through staff areas there are, it's worse to navigate than it looks.

Ostensibly Beth can read Chinese since these are manuals for fifth column infiltrators. Or maybe they're mostly diagrams.

Ah, good, finally, the National Mall.

Not much of its former beauty remains, it's become a series of trenches in the neverending war between Super Mutants and basically everyone else.

It even has undergound bunkers!

The mutants took it over, however. They have their wonderful gore bags here.

Gore bags contain random mutilated body parts all the time, and sometimes bullets or caps.

They're on average worth checking out since they can roll pretty high bullet or cap counts.

Explosives skill book is the real important thing here.

Um, what's going on here?

...The mutant's gore is stuck in mid-air in a t-pose.

No clue why. No long-term impacts. A weird Bethesda thing.

As opposed to when it crashes or an event softlocks and cannot be completed. They kinda get lumped together where the wacky momentum conservation of giant's clubs and npc scripts breaking forcing you to reload, they're just "bugs" and the devs laugh it off.

Then Fallout 76 crashes.

Wrong museum, we want Technology. Might as well check it out.

Past a mammoth statue and a dinosaur skeleton is a spooky door. To the right are anime and video game swords, but those are because of a mod.

The spooky door has a spooky name. Might as well go to hell.

Oh it's just ghouls with a sense of humor about being called zombies.

It's helpful museums have gift shops for people who decide to make them into towns so the general store has shelves already.

Tulip says of the origin of Underworld:

"It used to be part of the Museum of History. The exhibit that used to be here was focused on what happens after death: Hell and whatnot. A lot of it was focused on this old book called "Paradise Lost." It's about a guy who goes to Hell. Pretty interesting stuff."

She then gives you a copy of Paradise Lost, which acts like the speech skill book and permanently increases it. Wrong book for what she's describing, but skill books are skill books. Kinda wish I knew that way back when, it was two whole points!!

I am mostly here for schematics.

One of the advantages of my vr bullet stocks is that I can sell them like they were real bullets, so I can just dip into Beth's ridiculous supply of ammo if I need cash real bad.

Or if I just want to gently caress it and make money anyway.

Near Underworld is the correct museum for my task.

I guess Super Mutants are pretty impressive examples of technological advancement, the attempt to counteract the New Plague turns people into giants with incredible strength and resilience.

Or maybe it's about engineering feats and this guy is just kind of here because a dungeon needs monsters. To his right is ostensibly the Wright brothers' first airplane, fallen from the ceiling and damaged by rubble and neglect.

The museum had a spaceflight exhibit going when the bombs fell. It's one of the few still accessible to Beth. Tower of Terror is no go, sadly.

And a tremendous advertisement for Vault-tec posing as a learning exercise.

Maybe the vaults are fantastic feats of technology, but, you know.

And some weird guy named Prime has hacked the computer to create a riddle for his ally.

I immediately gently caress it up.

This forever locks me out of getting the unique Chinese Assault Rifle, the Xuanlong assault rifle, that shoots a little harder and has a much larger clip than normal.

The loot just straight up does not exist until this is done right.

Ah good, I can have two full sets of mutilated person because the gore comes in pairs!

Some of these displays are just odd. Militarism was everywhere.

In a hallway admist fakes rocks is the Vault display. A chipper recording still sounds centuries later.

Dang, that's a pretty hard no from them.

Though extremely durable, the Vaults can still rust and weather when left unsealed.

I don't think there were any brooms in vault 101 now that the automated tour guide brings it up.

drat, it's a sealed off room with no clear entryway. I want those muffins!

The slide textures are stored outside above and below the projector screen and simply slide up into view. It's a pretty good illusion, and probably easier on the engine to handle.

Fake, the amount of petty theft Beth can accomplish despite ostensibly being observed is ridiculous.

Needs a big asterisk for baseball bat madness.

The model has seen better days.

What's that about Delta IX?

We can sorta peep through the rubble some Space Stuff, probably where the satellite dish is.

A giant spiral staircase around the rocket is littered with super mutants.

What the gently caress is wrong with people

and where is the rest of Carl!?

Exactly as we were taught in school. exactly.

Anyway we take the dish and move on. I don't know where Beth keeps it, it's very big.

Then again this lady can carry a few full suits of power armor without it showing.

holy poo poo blowing my loving mind

With the dish in hand, or wherever, Beth heads towards the Washington Monument. It's easy to see because it's tall and pointy.

It also serves as a base for the Brotherhood of Steel.

Sometimes I wonder where Beth learned this. She's a Pip-Boy programmer by what the GOAT said.

I guess we just gesture at 10 int and leave it there.

The old dish is replaced with a shiny new old one. The super mutants will never attack this one so the problem is solved forever.

This makes Galaxy News Radio extend to the entire Capital Wasteland, before it was stuck around the DC ruins. This was a good deed.

As in, Beth's Karma has squeaked to exactly 250, the threshold for being a good girl. Slavery notwithstanding, he's now recognized as a decent person.

God no.

Luckily, sort of just around here is a metal helmet, a relatively tough piece of apparel.

Just what Beth needed for some tiny crime.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Thus begin the very brief adventures of Post-Neutral Beth.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 3, 2020

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
glad to see this back

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

:cheers: Glad to see that this is back again.

“Hey Three Dog, I finally got that replacement satellite dish up and running again!”
“What?! That’s great—“
“I kind of offset it by putting explosive collars on a few orphans, though.”

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Great to see this thread back!

. . . what were we trying to do in DC again?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

loving and trucking.

Mutants and bags of caps, respectively.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

By popular demand posted:

loving and trucking.

Mutants and bags of caps, respectively.

I don't know about a mountain, but Beth WAS raised in a cave.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chuu posted:

Great to see this thread back!

. . . what were we trying to do in DC again?

GOAL AS ESTABLISHED BY GLOWING ARROWS IN AUTOMATIC QUESTS: Find Beth's father, Liam Neeson

Moriarty, the Saloon owner in Megaton, said Liam Neeson said he was going to Galaxy News to talk to Three Dog.

Three Dog says Liam Neeson came by but would only divulge further information if we helped his radio station.

You can skip all of this by stop-hopping straight to where he is from the start, which, considering the timeline of events that creates, makes Liam Neeson super fast.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
One of the things that Fallout 3 genuinely did right was letting you skip that chunk of the main quest by stumbling upon or sequence breaking towards Liam.

When I played the game, I got like three subway tunnels deep into DC and decided "gently caress this, I hate this place" and just spent my time wandering across the actually navigable wastes. Many hours later, I came across the plot and it continued from there. It felt totally organic and I never bothered even attempting to navigate the DC ruins (I don't think I've ever seen the ghoul city before), but did find my way to a bunch of quest hubs thanks to quest markers.

I'm sure other games have done similar things sooner and better, but it was the first time I had it happen in a plot-driven(ish) RPG and it was a nice experience.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm sure other games have done similar things sooner and better, but it was the first time I had it happen in a plot-driven(ish) RPG and it was a nice experience.

On my first playthrough of Fallout:NV I did a similar huge sequence break in that instead of heading to the city you are supposed to after the starting city, I took the road the other way and managed to make it across the death trap. I played NV almost a decade after it came out so I've heard that this was possible before attempting it, but I agree it's so nice the game gives you the freedom to do that if you can make it work.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tulip says of the origin of Underworld:

"It used to be part of the Museum of History. The exhibit that used to be here was focused on what happens after death: Hell and whatnot. A lot of it was focused on this old book called "Paradise Lost." It's about a guy who goes to Hell. Pretty interesting stuff."

She then gives you a copy of Paradise Lost, which acts like the speech skill book and permanently increases it. Wrong book for what she's describing, but skill books are skill books. Kinda wish I knew that way back when, it was two whole points!!

You know, while they were clearly thinking of Dante's Inferno, that is kind of an accurate description of parts of Paradise Lost. It's just that rather than going to Hell for a tour or whatever he went there to reign.

Exactly as we were taught in school. exactly.

What is the USSA in Fallout?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

United States Space Administration.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
e ^: p much that

I would assume the United States Space Administration. A sort of pun on the common misinterpretation of North American Space Administration.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Ulysses Serial Space Adventure

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Azza Bamboo posted:

Needs so much more of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8&t=43s

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

One of the things that Fallout 3 genuinely did right was letting you skip that chunk of the main quest by stumbling upon or sequence breaking towards Liam.

When I played the game, I got like three subway tunnels deep into DC and decided "gently caress this, I hate this place" and just spent my time wandering across the actually navigable wastes. Many hours later, I came across the plot and it continued from there. It felt totally organic and I never bothered even attempting to navigate the DC ruins (I don't think I've ever seen the ghoul city before), but did find my way to a bunch of quest hubs thanks to quest markers.

In contrast, the DC ruins and subway system "mega-dungeon" is probably my favourite part of FO3 - maybe at least partially because you're not subjected to much of the game's awful writing in there. :v:

I do just like exploring those areas, though. The environment design is the best part of FO3.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...Kind of weird to put something behind a weird hacking thing, are there hints anywhere? Well, at least the reward is just a Pretty Good Rifle.

Good to see a new update, looking forward to the next one!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Gore t-posing is some sort of effect coming from loading in after something's been dismembered like that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I was just in the SCP thread and a story was mentioned a while ago where people who died were casually linked with themselves in different dimensions where they lived, resulting in viscera floating about like that

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Blessed alternate universe where I am constantly T posing.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

The Golux posted:

...Kind of weird to put something behind a weird hacking thing, are there hints anywhere? Well, at least the reward is just a Pretty Good Rifle.

Good to see a new update, looking forward to the next one!

Dude's name is Prime and he gives you a list of numbers, one of which is a prime.
I'll fully admit never having played to this point, but it seems kinda obvious.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

...I suppose that does count as a hint, I just didn't notice it

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I never got the prime thing either :smith:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Geemer posted:

Dude's name is Prime and he gives you a list of numbers, one of which is a prime.
I'll fully admit never having played to this point, but it seems kinda obvious.

Well I feel really stupid now.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The Golux posted:

...Kind of weird to put something behind a weird hacking thing, are there hints anywhere?

Probably. I just immediately botched it like an idiot.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's like Flash Gordon, but he just rambles on and on about bears and bulls and "Old World Walls" interminably in a gravelly voice.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm digging this LP so far, especially your ongoing efforts to break the game over your knee.

Sadly, I have the console version, so my breakage is largely limited to completing Mothership Zeta first, getting all the alien weapons and ammo I can find, and having a virtually unlimited supply of fairly powerful pew pew for the rest of the game.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"Is what I'm about to do racist?"

Beth returns to Three-Dog. He's sleeping, but the instant Beth activates him (with the e key by default) he gets out of bed and instantly holds a conversation.

He picks the greeting that indicates I installed the dish, shifting his face to Happy 50 (failry happy but he could get twice as happy) and saying

"Hey, all right! The Hero of the Wasteland returns!"

Per usual these all funnel into the same place. There's three versions of each depending on why we're helping GNR - to find Dad, to get some guns, or because it's just a nice thing to do.

>Thanks, Three Dog. I was just glad to help with the Good Fight.

"Hey, you're the one who deserves all the thanks! You struck a major blow against tyranny! Now GNR can be heard clear across the Capital Wasteland again. That'll give Eden and those Muties something to think about. But before I get back to my calling, I bet you wanna hear about your dad."

>Please! I miss him so much!

This is the prompt for the topic MQ02TLTellMeAboutDad02.

"Whoa now... dry your eyes. A promise is a promise and I will provide."

(This is what happy 70 looks like)

"He mentioned some scientific mumbo-jumbo which didn't make sense to me and mentioned something called "Project Purity"

>Then Rivet City is where I'm headed. Goodbye, Three Dog.

"Goodbye. Remember to keep us tuned in while you're out there, and watch yourself."

This completes Galaxy News Radio, the quest, gives us another step on Picking Up The Trail, and 400 experience. That's a lot of xp.

I give him that metal helmet as thanks. You may wonder why, as nothing will ever threaten him without some extreme tomfoolery.

It's so he takes off his hat and sunglasses.

It'd be easier to obliterate him with a shotgun and take what I want off his dead body. Despite Beth being the only person to enter and exit this room around the time the gunshot happened, no one would know it's her because she's crouching.

But, if we do that, we are inflicted with Margaret.

Eventually after a reload or something else I did because gently caress if I know how to make NPCs behave, Three-Dog puts on the helmet. It has much higher DR than his current headgear.

DR isn't what makes his so valuable.

His unique shades have no arbitrary effects, but his head wrap is another piece of apparel that increases Luck. Getting it from him involves illegal activities, he'll never willingly part with it. Reverse-pickpocketing a tougher hat, or murder.

Since. obviously, it can be worn with glasses, Beth can get +2 luck from her noggin. Every skill is boosted by a point and her critical hit rate sits at 13% most of the time.

I haven't exploded any pants yet? Seems a wasted opportunity.

It's not a sex thing, trust me.

Also, guess if I get enough skill books that Comprehension gets me more points than Educated's +78 on level-ups would've.

The answer is I do not get enough books

Wilhelm's Wharf has one NPC, the ever wonderful Grandma Sparkle. She is notable for several reasons:

1) She is the only Grandma in any of the Fallout games.

2) As Fallout's sole Grandma you'd think she had grandchildren, but they, the Rock Crick Hunters, are unused in the final game. The only thing connecting them is a form list, FFDCRockCreekHuntersLIST, and a line of dialogue implying her family is out hunting.

3) Youtuber Mitten Squad has a deep grudge with her, him blowing her to smithereens and stealing everything she owns, and her witch spirit crashing the game with her dark powers.

Exiting her shack tends to crash the game a lot, for some reason.

I sell her one beer for 5 caps and leave.

Near Wilhelm's Wharf is the Flooded Metro, the next location Beth is going for reasons.

Feral Ghoul Roamers have higher health and a much stronger slap than normal feral ghouls, but not so much that they are any concern.

This metro is pretty short, no big deal.

See? Exit already. Arlington National Cemetary, a burial place for WW2 soldiers.

To the south there's a food distribution center called Mama Dolce's, that was a front for Chinese Espionage, but that's not what I'm here for.

Who's using the preservation shelter?

...um

I'm uncomfortable.

Sexy Sleepwear boosts Charisma by 1 so I might want some in the "back pocket."

Raiders descend on Beth, but they're too far away to shoot at the moment.

I can just get in the shelter and wait.

Beth isn't interested in the mannequin, she's straight.

And when they get close, ouch!

I don't know if this is based on a real statue.

Game does have the McClellan and Sheridan gates. Somewhere.

Aw. Flowers.

In the center of Arlington is the Arlington House. The atomic radiation has mutated it into a generic house.

It indeed seems to be an ordinary house.

Except for the chilling secret in the basement:

A loving shrine to Abraham Lincoln, America's first hunky babe prez.

Also the luck bobblehead, I guess.

Beth sits at 7 all the time and 9 with the glasses and head wrap.

who keeps a lawnmower in the basement

Going west from the ruined diner, Beth is immediately beset by a bear.

The bear begins a space program.

Beth reaches level 12. Her massive sum of skill points go everywhere.

However, there is a small issue: I took too long to get the agility bobblehead and am off schedule!

I was heading towards it already, so I just have to not fight things on the way.

At first it goes pretty well...

But then a scorpion starts chasing her. I cannot defeat it or Beth levels up.

Then a yao guai joins in the chase. This is worse.

I have found my destination, a nuclear waste disposal site, and just in time!

They dispose of the waste by just putting it here, on the ground.

There's the office building!

And right there, on the desk, is the agility bobblehead.

6 is all I need for perks so woo hoo.

Computer hacking gives enough XP for level 13, but... it never comes.

Ah, the scorpion is still after Beth's blood.

A completely different spread! I have no idea where I'm going with anything

Fast Metabolism increases stimpack healing. Sniper increases accuracy for V.A.T.S. headshots.

Robotics Expert inceases damage to robots by 25%, but also it allows a special sneak murder for robots. It also opens a few elite hacker dialogue checks.

But Silent Runnning removes the hearing part from sneaking so people have to witness Beth to know she's there. Makes it very easy to get behind people to punch their asses off.

...Don't worry about that other perk there.

Charisma is a pain to get to and Endurance is in a place called "Deathclaw Sanctuary" and I'm scared.

Are you ready for an abrupt jump to Rivet City?

Seagrave runs a miscellenous junk shop. He's also the guy we were supposed to smear in the hosed up power game of local politics.

Fusion Batteries weigh too much for me to normally care, but I need one to make a gun.

...Why are you still here?

Oh, right, while I finished The Replicated Man, I never got Dr. Zimmer out of town.

The fusion battery is part of making a Railway Rifle, that uses all the railway spikes we've been collecting. 30 damage a shot, 2 shots a second. This is aided by a triple critical hit chance multiplier (42% with Beth's current poo poo) and triple damage to limbs, shot so hard they can tear off limbs and pin them to walls on kills. .75 spread is kinda lame though.

Also when it fires it goes toot toot like a train.

So how do we get Dr. Zimmer out of here?

Ah, sell out Harkness anyway, clearly.

"Harkness, you say? Yes... Yes, that makes sense. He used to work for a special branch of the Commonwealth Police, after all... And he's right here in Rivet City! Excellent! I must wait... find an opportune moment to confront him... Thank you for your discreet assistance, and continued discretion regarding this matter."

Sweet, 10% boost to all V.A.T.S. shots. And at no cost! None whatsoever.

None.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
e; I need to read the OP again probably

Grizzwold fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 20, 2020

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Related: nows theres a convenient video on why Fallout New Vegas is genius

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Wilhelm's Wharf has one NPC, the ever wonderful Grandma Sparkle. She is notable for several reasons:

1) She is the only Grandma in any of the Fallout games.

What about Lily Bowen in New Vegas? Sure, she's a Super Mutant, and her grandkids are long dead, but she's still a grandma.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

LJN92 posted:

What about Lily Bowen in New Vegas? Sure, she's a Super Mutant, and her grandkids are long dead, but she's still a grandma.

She's a grandmother, not a Grandma.

There are many grandmothers, but only one Grandma.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
When do we eat a baby?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You'd need to mod that in yourself. I hope.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Azza Bamboo posted:

When do we eat a baby?

This is a Bethesda game, not an Ultima game. Babies don't exist outisde of PCs, people just emerge as fully formed children.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Azza Bamboo posted:

When do we eat a baby?

That's in The Pitt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Looking forward to the bear space program making a cameo in Fallout 5