Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Azza Bamboo posted:

When do we eat a baby?

This isn't The Sims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ScreamingLlama posted:

This isn't Scribblenauts.
funny story, when the original Scribblenauts came out, my roommate spent a solid amount of time engineering a way to make a mother eat her baby

as I recall, he got it to work in the end, I think it was something like Hungry Cannibal Mother and Delicious Tasty Baby

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

theshim posted:

funny story, when the original Scribblenauts came out, my roommate spent a solid amount of time engineering a way to make a mother eat her baby

as I recall, he got it to work in the end, I think it was something like Hungry Cannibal Mother and Delicious Tasty Baby

That couldn't have worked in the original; adjectives didn't exist until Super Scribblenauts. At least, that's how I remember it.

Of course, done like that it's just a mother and a baby, possibly unrelated. To make a mother eat her own baby you'd want Hungry Cannibal Delicious Tasty Pregnant Mother and this should pass on the adjectives to the child and have them try to eat each other. (Disclaimer: I have not tested this, so it may not actually work.)

I may have thought too much about this.

Malah
May 18, 2015

ScreamingLlama posted:

This isn't The Sims.
It's The Sims with guns and Fisto. :hellyeah:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Happy New Year thread.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hap New Yars

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Malah posted:

It's The Sims with guns and Fisto. :hellyeah:

No, that's New Vegas. FO3 is Sexy Inventory Management Simulator.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

This is Janice, she does nothing important. She's essential until she's killed in a cutscene.

This is Madison Li. She says a lot of things. Some of those things that are important, but because only the player character and like 3 npcs have important actions, she does nothing important. She's essential forever.

"You're James' daughter, aren't you? What are you doing here?"

She was also the first person Beth saw, the one who dragged her out of the warmth and safety of her mother's womb. This would require revenge, but she's essential.

"You were too young to remember, and I suppose James never spoke of me. Typical."

"It was all I had left. When your mother died, your father decided to leave with you. He abandoned our work. We had no choice but to do the same."

>Can you tell me more about my parents?

"I suppose so. I worked with them for several years until... Until your mother died, and your father decided it was time to leave. What else do you want to know?"

>I never knew my mother. What can you tell me about her?

"Yes... Your mother was, well she was a good woman. A very dedicated scientist. Your father loved her very much. It was a shame that she died. She had been excited to meet you."

>Why did my mother die? What happened?

Ah, the most convenient way to dispose of a woman when her role is to produce a child and then die for manpain.

"You have to understand, we were struggling with scavenged, derelict equipment. We did everything we could."

Standard array of polite, rude, and nihilist. Meh.

>What was my father like back then?

"James? He was very driven. Determined to change the world. Well, we all were back then, I suppose. He was focused on two things, really. Making Project Purity work, and your mother."

"But it seems that he never really was able to get over the idea. I'm frankly shocked that he waited all this time, and wants to try again."

>I'm trying to find my father. Have you seen him?

"You mean you haven't? I assumed he sent you here. For that matter, aren't you supposed to be in a Vault? James said he left you there."

>I left the Vault to look for him.

"Did you? I was under the impression that's exactly the opposite of what he wanted for you. Well, you won't find him here. He's come and gone already."

>I'm sorry. Could you please tell me where he's gone?

"Your father insisted that we return to work on Project Purity. I tried telling him too much time has passed; there's no way it would work."

"I'm sorry. I don't know what else to tell you."

>Where is this old lab of yours?

I discovered that while swimming down the Potomac, on purpose!

Naturally, we have to go after him.

But instead I'll get distracted by random other stuff. Remember when Beth tried to get into local politics way back at the start? No? The clothes store man is on the Government Big Boy Seat, but the junk store man wants the Big Boy Seat, so the clothes man wants me to find blackmail on the junk man.

You'd think the computer that requires hacker powers had the blackmail on the junk man, but the junk man complaining to the doctor lady about the clothes man is not proper blackmail.

He has a letter labeled incriminating right on the loving cover right under his bed.

It's from Eulogy Jones! The King of Slavery! The guy who pays Beth for her slavery!

The letter is clear it's the junk man rejecting the King of Slavery, but it's a correspondance with slavers!

Who aren't Beth!

I tell the clothes man about the junk man's naughty slavery letter, and he tells me to go to the safety man-

Oh. Uh. Who's Danvers?

Oh, here's Dr. Zimmer, his synth Armitage, and Harkness, in a little fun train.

Turns out selling out Harkness for no reason has consequences, but instead of casual betrayal causing me problems, a new person is created to take Harkness's place so I can still complete all sorts of tasks.

Danvers, editor ID Danvers, form ID 000156AD, ref ID 0001E748.

Danvers is the security chief if Harkness stops being around, which happens so instantly that Harkness isn't even out of Rivet City before her promotion has become common knowledge to the people.

I am not sure if it was when I sold him out and got Wired Reflexes, or when his conversation with Harkness started, that she became the chief. If she is destroyed, no one is chief, and this becomes impossible.

We can tell her about the junk man's naughty letter, she doesn't ask why we were in there or have it.

We could also betray the clothes man, but that is pointless.

Danvers immediately sees the connotations we want her to and the town I guess collectively makes fun of the junk man because nothing changes but he hates Beth and charges her more money for junk.

Clothes man is happy! He'll give Beth a discount.

But also the plans to turn a Deathclaw's death claw into a gauntlet.

Junk man has no matching offer. In fact if we don't do it this way, we can't get all three copies of the Deathclaw Gauntlet schematics.

Anyway, having caused some uproar in the Rivet City political scene by revealing correspondence with slavers, Beth will now enslave someone in Rivet City.

But, ah, the Mesmetron is not a subtle weapon of diplomacy. It's loud.

Flak was one of the VIP targets, and the hardest to get.

Well, I mean, he's easy to actually enslave.

It's quite difficult to enslave him without someone else noticing the assault (the part where he was shot with a mesmetron) causes the entire town to become very unhappy.

Rather than load manually or wait for the town to kill Beth, I decide to play with the console command Kill. It causes the selected actor to die instantly.

Such as.

I try it from a lot of angles and timings.

But Beth keeps getting caught, and killed.

Once I think I have a great shot, then Shrapnel walks out and they start talking like Oblivion NPCs.

This game is running on a modified Oblivion engine, so I guess it makes sense.

There's also a little girl inside of Flak and Shrapnel's room as I am trying this.

I do not know why C.J. Young is there in the first place.

Once, I blow up Flak's entire head with a Railway Rifle. No one notices.

gently caress.

What the gently caress are you doing Shrapnel

Eventually it works.

This was an intra-slaver feud apparently. Maybe

Oh well, that's two of the VIPs.

After having enslaved someone, Beth fast-travels to the local anti-slavery team (who don't know of her crimes) as it's near to Cantebury Commons.

I find Lucky Harith on the roads, which is nice, he sells guns and accessories.

One of these is a schematic for a flaming sword.

Bwah! A laser beam!?

Ah goddammit, I wasn't good that long!

They're no match for Beth as her powers develop and her guns get bigger.

Attempting to enter Cantebury Commons, Beth stumbles on a woman in an ant costume flanked by ants flinging taunts.

Opposite her, a man in a robot costume flanked by robots flings taunts.

A fight between their minions breaks out, which the robots easily win as laser weaponry handles ants better than mandibles handle robots.

The woman, calling herself the AntAgonizer, flees, promising to return with more ants.

Shortly after, this guy runs up to Beth. He is not flanked by any creatures and is in a middle-aged man costume.

"Name's Roe. Uncle Roe, to most. Welcome to Canterbury Commons... for what that's worth"

>What was all that about? Who were those people?

"The, um... Mechanist and the AntAgonizer. That's just what they call themselves. Ridiculous, I know... A while ago, we were attacked by the AntAgonizer - that woman with the ants, obviously. The Mechanist saved the town with his robots. That was all well and good, but I swear their fights are getting bigger, and it's been driving off the merchants. They simply won't leave!"

>I might be able to help.

"Oh that's terrific! I knew you'd help out. Knew it in my gut, and it's never steered me wrong on a deal, yet!"

Finally I get to flex a little Impartial Mediation as Beth's speech is sky high.

"Oh, and please, do try to use some discretion. We already have plenty of would-be heroes starting wars in our streets. We don't need another."

>What can you tell me about the AntAgonizer?

"Well, that gave Dom plenty of time to line up a shot or two on the ants. She ran away, but every once in a while, she'd stage an "attack" again. She wasn't much of a threat, then. In fact, she was sort of entertaining, at first. Gave everyone in town something to talk about. But when the Mechanist started fighting her, things got bad. Ants are easy to shoot, but add robots with lasers, and it got real nasty."

>What can you tell me about the Mechanist?

"Guy used to take care of a robot that protected the town... until it got torn up in one of the AntAgonizer's lame little attacks. I guess he took it personal, because he made a mechanical suit and called himself the Mechanist. Said he would lead a robot army to fight her. Now he doesn't even respond to his name, and his "robot army" is more dangerous to the town than the ants ever were."

So that's the breakdown of The Superhuman Gambit. Two lunatics keep staging fights that keep escalating, and who knows how far they'll go. We can stop either the Mechanist, the AntAgonizer, or both. There's weird items each way - as you can imagine, there aren't a lot of ant suits going around - and a few ways to resolve it. Immediately killing them both does count, actually!

In one of the houses is the unique Tire Iron. It's somewhat stronger and more durable than a normal one. I still have Jingwei's Shocksword so this is just for collection's sake.

This door is the main entryway into the AntAgonizer's lair, but, she disappears from fights secretly, which means-

Yes! A secret passage!

This takes us to her lair, behind her, where I can shoot her in the head.

Eventually I turn her and her ants into mists of blood and viscera with some shotgun fun.

Despite being physically obliterated, her costume's still in perfect shape.

So now Beth can be the AntAgonizer, and bother the Mechanist.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Ah, it returns! :swoon:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I was this close to removing the bookmark, glad I kept the faith.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Does the costume let you control ants?

(I know you're trying to stay neutral but I have a hard time doing "bad things" in games)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

controlling ants would actually be interesting and make it more than just a costume, so no.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

If Half-Life 2 could manage it, so could Fallout :c00lbert:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God the Antagonizer's unique weapon was so pathetic.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I take it you won't be showing the "correct" way to do this one? Pity, it's delightfully stupid and horribly designed.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Rivet City's government is pretty robust for a post-apoc settlement, I have to say, with them being able to quickly define the line of command like that.

I mean, unless you kill the second head of security. "What's the chance some walk-the-wasteland gently caress strolls in and kills two of our security team's leadership? Unlikely, no point to plan for it. :effort:"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Tevery Best posted:

I take it you won't be showing the "correct" way to do this one? Pity, it's delightfully stupid and horribly designed.

I don't even know what correct is anymore. I was thinking about it though, since I could do the opposite of what Beth has done.

The Golux posted:

Does the costume let you control ants?

No. It doesn't alter the behavior of ants in any way.

The Golux posted:

(I know you're trying to stay neutral but I have a hard time doing "bad things" in games)

Beth's karmic neutrality is a showcase that a single morality variable with gameplay beneifts is a really bad way to go about it, as it creates this situation. I can't be neutral, because neutrality doesn't really exist; instead I balance good and evil actions to make the number right. This in itself is a concerning element, but I think we're never going to get to the bottom of the yikes of fo3's karma.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Someone probably already posted this but I cannot be assed to check

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't even know what correct is anymore. I was thinking about it though, since I could do the opposite of what Beth has done.

I mean the one where you go to a comic publisher building somewhere in the middle of DC and find a letter to an editor complaining that in the comics, AntAgonizer was a multifaceted and developed character, and that reducing her to a single-note antagonist with a grudge against humanity is outrageous. Then you give the letter to AntAgonizer and she's like "oh no, that's exactly what I'm doing" and leaves.

There is nothing in the game to point you in that direction or otherwise let you know that's even a possibility.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Tevery Best posted:

I mean the one where you go to a comic publisher building somewhere in the middle of DC and find a letter to an editor complaining that in the comics, AntAgonizer was a multifaceted and developed character, and that reducing her to a single-note antagonist with a grudge against humanity is outrageous. Then you give the letter to AntAgonizer and she's like "oh no, that's exactly what I'm doing" and leaves.

There is nothing in the game to point you in that direction or otherwise let you know that's even a possibility.

Wow, never even heard of that option. I think the resolutions I remember were kill one, kill the other, kill both, talk both down.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Beth's karmic neutrality is a showcase that a single morality variable with gameplay beneifts is a really bad way to go about it, as it creates this situation. I can't be neutral, because neutrality doesn't really exist; instead I balance good and evil actions to make the number right. This in itself is a concerning element, but I think we're never going to get to the bottom of the yikes of fo3's karma.

Yeah that's what I meant, I have a hard time doing enough evil things to stay neutral in any game with a system like this.

Also the comic editor argument sounds like an appropriately funny way to do it!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

[extremely ric flair voice]

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
So you know how those idiots who messed with the MLP mod got The Superhuman Gambit done by just murdering the AntAgonizer and Mechanist when they're facing off in the streets? There's other ways to go about it.

Let's just say, for some reason, we ran into the Mechanist's lair, right up to his face,

And decided he should probably become dead.

(he became dead)

The Mechanist's costume is like the AntAgonizer's, except it's +endurance instead of +agility. Temporary endurance doesn't give you extra HP so it doesn't matter very much.

We can go to the AntAgonizer with the costume, and she sees it in my pocket.

Is that a metal suit in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

it's a suit don't flatter yourself.

We can give it to her, as a trophy.

She's very happy to have her nemesis slain and nude.

She gives us a magical knife.

It's a unique knife (as in, just knife) with a 4 per second for 10 seconds poison damage thing. This technically is a lot of ouch. But ten seconds is a really long time, and Jingwei's Shocksword has 1/4 of the added damage but almost nine times the per-hit damage, so it's hard to care at this point.

If you don't specifically give her the mechanist's costume, this knife does not exist, at all.

SUDDENLY:

We're in the depths of DC, at the site of Hubris Comics. They made Grognak the Barbarian!

Just inside is a terminal.

Just inside of the terminal is a letter to the editor.

Now, we have committed this knowledge to memory. There isn't a note or anything, we just "know" this now.

"Ha ha! You would walk here and presume to command me? Humanity's time has come to an end. Your kind died because it knew only petty bickering and wars. But not so, the noble ant! It works with its brethren, knowing only loyalty and duty. And this is why they have grown, while humanity crumbled! Once I've finished with that pathetic Mechanist, I will be free to spread my colonies across the Wastes!"

Caught her!

I could make her mad, but that's just another fight.

"When I read that comic, it made explained so much. Where I came from, who I was destined to be, what I had to do..."

"Please... I think I've made some terrible mistakes. If you really think I still have a chance, just let me go. I'll give you the suit. No one ever has to see the AntAgonizer again. Just please, let me have another chance."

Without her costume, she looks stupid. Her hair sucks.

I think she should become dead.

(She became dead)

Uncle Roe is fine with with the outcome and pays us.

By the way,

We were a sex weirdo all along, and you fell for it!

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax
amazing

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The real wasteland is terrifying

I don't mind that out of the way solution for that quest - seems more like an easter egg solution than a "one true solution"

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Gasp! Beth! No! Don't follow the sexweird path!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Geomancing posted:

Gasp! Beth! No! Don't follow the sexweird path!

This is a character I had sitting around called Karmic Sandiego; Beth's moral atrocities do not include sexweirdness.