Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
BYU Tulane and Colorado State to the Big XII, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

BYU Tulane and Colorado State to the Big XII, please.

Tulane and Memphis are the only acceptable Big 12 additions because they're cool places that are worth going to for an away game.

I guess maybe UCF, you can go to Disney and Universal

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
That was an awesome Tulane game.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

PostNouveau posted:

Tulane and Memphis are the only acceptable Big 12 additions because they're cool places that are worth going to for an away game.

I guess maybe UCF, you can go to Disney and Universal

Fort Collins has a great rep.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So how long until Holg gets fired?

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1174887797112459264

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

you want to know how you know a coach hosed up? you watch a team go up 28-7 in the first 20 minutes of the game and then a field goal during the last 40.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

And that's not going to happen. They're going to lose to Memphis, UCF, and Cincinnati, so UH is going to have to run the table against North Texas, UConn, SMU, Tulsa, and Navy just to get to 6-6.

This is why you don't make ridiculous boasts.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

dirty shrimp money posted:

And that's not going to happen. They're going to lose to Memphis, UCF, and Cincinnati, so UH is going to have to run the table against North Texas, UConn, SMU, Tulsa, and Navy just to get to 6-6.

This is why you don't make ridiculous boasts.

I mean it wasn't a boast, she did fire him

Ridiculous promises maybe

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

vyst posted:

https://twitter.com/247sports/status/1174799432644255744?s=21

Ladies and gentlemen of TFF this is a public service announcement that it's time to get Horny for Hornibrook again

For solace FSU fans should go back and read 2018 Wisconsin previews. Wisconsin has finally found a quarterback that's not just a Scott Tolzien clone!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What's Holgo's buyout?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

PostNouveau posted:

What's Holgo's buyout?

First three years are fully guaranteed and then 60% of the last two, it looks like, so, uh, a lot. Unless he wins the American or makes a NY6 game in which case the last two also become fully guaranteed but that seems safe for now!

Seriously though blowing the lead they did yesterday was bad, but they've had a tough opening schedule. Potential playoff team in OU, another good P5 program in Wazzu, and then what looks like it's going to be a pretty strong Tulane team that might finally launch Fritz to a bigger job. They aren't going to be a serious contender in the American with the way UCF and Memphis have looked so far but they could wind up being pretty good.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PostNouveau posted:

What's Holgo's buyout?

He looks like the type of guy who would gladly part ways if you offered him a '78 Camaro that "just needs a little work"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

First three years are fully guaranteed and then 60% of the last two, it looks like, so, uh, a lot. Unless he wins the American or makes a NY6 game in which case the last two also become fully guaranteed but that seems safe for now!

Seriously though blowing the lead they did yesterday was bad, but they've had a tough opening schedule. Potential playoff team in OU, another good P5 program in Wazzu, and then what looks like it's going to be a pretty strong Tulane team that might finally launch Fritz to a bigger job. They aren't going to be a serious contender in the American with the way UCF and Memphis have looked so far but they could wind up being pretty good.

The American is a tougher conference than it gets credit for.

They mentioned several times during the game that Houston had played 3 games in something like 17 days or so. They seemed to completely run out of gas.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

Willie Fritz at 59 is destined for his last stop.

Which is sad, because he's a fantastic coach and I would much prefer him over Matt Wells.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

kayakyakr posted:

Willie Fritz at 59 is destined for his last stop.

Which is sad, because he's a fantastic coach and I would much prefer him over Matt Wells.

He's older but it's also a pretty open secret that he wants to move on to something bigger and might have the team to do it now. I don't think he intended to be at Tulane this long.

Matt Wells is a good coach. TTU has an injured QB and hasn't had a winning season in like four years I don't really know what your expectations were for year one but they seem like they might be too high?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 20, 2019

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

MourningView posted:

He's older but it's also a pretty open secret that he wants to move on to something bigger and might have the team to do it now. I don't think he intended to be at Tulane this long.

Matt Wells is a good coach. TTU has an injured QB and hasn't had a winning season in like four years I don't really know what your expectations were for year one but they seem like they might be too high?

I just don't like him. Haven't from the start. This is not at all related to the results on the field.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

kayakyakr posted:

I just don't like him. Haven't from the start. This is not at all related to the results on the field.

Then why don't you like him? Did he gently caress your girl or something?

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

What's Holgo's buyout?

I am not exactly well-versed in the politics around the Houston gig, are people seriously talking about this already?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blotto_Otter posted:

I am not exactly well-versed in the politics around the Houston gig, are people seriously talking about this already?

Quick trigger on the last coach, dumb quote from the president that she'd fire anyone for going 8-4.

I don't really think they'll get rid of him unless maybe he goes 2-10 or something, but Houston kinda built a reputation of not being patient.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blotto_Otter posted:

Not really. They're just pointing at something dumb the school president said when she wanted to fire Major Applewhite

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Quick trigger on the last coach, dumb quote from the president that she'd fire anyone for going 8-4.

I don't really think they'll get rid of him unless maybe he goes 2-10 or something, but Houston kinda built a reputation of not being patient.

Ah, well that certainly was a dumb thing for her to say!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

vyst posted:

Then why don't you like him? Did he gently caress your girl or something?

He's the world's most generic dude head coach. His staff is full of guys who failed at previous P5 stops. He's the reaction hire (opposite of the previous coach), but he's not even really a proper reaction. I guess he's the reaction in the sense that he's more CEO style than x & o's style?

I haven't decided yet if Yost actually knows what he's doing. If he actually is trying to run Duo from the spread, then he might be doing something a little interesting. His passing concepts haven't been all that great and have mostly consisted of throwing the ball up for Vasher.

I'm pretty burnt on football on the whole, so I'm not going to get up in arms about it. I don't hate him. It's not like I'm rooting for my team to fail. He just might wind up being that grinder like Beard and Tadlock that a school like Texas Tech needs to be successful on the national stage.

But I stand by my statement that I would have much preferred Fritz over Wells. Willie Fritz would be a hire that excites me. Matt Wells did not.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Grittybeard posted:

Applewhite was a pretty obvious bad hire from the start that I don't think anyone except the most severely Texas Brained fan was all that excited about. Like the defense of it here was literally "well hey no one will hire this one away!" Between that and the complete implosion at the end of last year with the Oliver mess and giving up 700 points to Army I think it's hard to fault them for a quick hook. Holgo is a way more established name and getting him out of the Big 12 was a big coup they had to invest a ton of resources in, I would be shocked if he doesn't get a pretty long rope.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kayakyakr posted:

He's the world's most generic dude head coach. His staff is full of guys who failed at previous P5 stops. He's the reaction hire (opposite of the previous coach), but he's not even really a proper reaction. I guess he's the reaction in the sense that he's more CEO style than x & o's style?

I haven't decided yet if Yost actually knows what he's doing. If he actually is trying to run Duo from the spread, then he might be doing something a little interesting. His passing concepts haven't been all that great and have mostly consisted of throwing the ball up for Vasher.

I'm pretty burnt on football on the whole, so I'm not going to get up in arms about it. I don't hate him. It's not like I'm rooting for my team to fail. He just might wind up being that grinder like Beard and Tadlock that a school like Texas Tech needs to be successful on the national stage.

But I stand by my statement that I would have much preferred Fritz over Wells. Willie Fritz would be a hire that excites me. Matt Wells did not.

Your pattern of Leach - Tuberville - Kingsbury - Wells is pretty ABAB bipolar haha, but Wells was able to do pretty well at Utah State. I think he could cobble something pretty good in a few years, if Tech boosters are that patient.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress Notre Dame

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
8-4 . . . . that's a great season.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

gently caress Notre Dame

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think Wells is really comparable to Tubberville. He's always run a spread offense, even if it's not exactly the air raid and he's not a super old retread or anything. Utah State was usually better on defense than offense but I think that's kind of hard to avoid with the recruiting base there and he had really bad QB injury luck for a big chunk of time in the middle of his tenure. They were a top 30 offense by S&P last year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1175114555124531202?s=19

This should be the sort of thing that makes people talk seriously about ending the series, but lol.

Timeline here:

Right after the game, there were already some social media whispers that something bad had happened with the band, which kicked into overdrive after our worthless failure of an athletic director released a statement that gave no details (beyond the band getting booed, which, duh) but said they were "investigating an incident"

The next day the ISU AD said he hadn't hear anything but also the Iowa State band is mistreated in Kinnick too so both sides are bad and to blame here.

The ISU AD and Iowa's useless empty suit poo poo for brains AD release a joint statement that basically just reiterates the Iowa State "both sides" excuse and tells everyone to chill and be nice to the band and that the investigation into the matter was now closed after all of 48 hours

People in the Iowa Band, who had kept quiet because the administration told them they were investigating, got understandably pissed about being abandoned and started giving details on social media, most notably alleging groping and a physical assault that left one of the band members with a broken rib. This is consistent with some the rumors I'd heard before so I tend to believe it.

In a normal situation this would get everyone involved fired but instead I expect Gary Barta will somehow get a raise

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^^ unacceptable.

MourningView posted:

I don't think Wells is really comparable to Tubberville. He's always run a spread offense, even if it's not exactly the air raid and he's not a super old retread or anything. Utah State was usually better on defense than offense but I think that's kind of hard to avoid with the recruiting base there and he had really bad QB injury luck for a big chunk of time in the middle of his tenure. They were a top 30 offense by S&P last year.

Wells is much better than Tubberville for sure and I do think that, given time, he'll make Tech a decent middle-road Big XII team. A bunch of average 8-4 seasons would be really, really good for the Tech fanbase right now.

Still don't like him.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 20, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
TIL that Vandy owns Texas all-time (7-2) and they once played a game where the only hope of Texas winning was Vandy's hubris from being so good.

Edit: Also Rice has played Bama, Auburn and Georgia 6 times.

It is 3-0 against Bama

2-0 against Auburn

1-0 against Georgia

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 20, 2019

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PostNouveau posted:

Edit: Also Rice has played Bama, Auburn and Georgia 6 times.

It is 3-0 against Bama

2-0 against Auburn

1-0 against Georgia

UConn 1-0 against Notre Dame is good too. And it was recent!(ish at least)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MourningView posted:

This should be the sort of thing that makes people talk seriously about ending the series, but lol.

Timeline here:

Right after the game, there were already some social media whispers that something bad had happened with the band, which kicked into overdrive after our worthless failure of an athletic director released a statement that gave no details (beyond the band getting booed, which, duh) but said they were "investigating an incident"

The next day the ISU AD said he hadn't hear anything but also the Iowa State band is mistreated in Kinnick too so both sides are bad and to blame here.

The ISU AD and Iowa's useless empty suit poo poo for brains AD release a joint statement that basically just reiterates the Iowa State "both sides" excuse and tells everyone to chill and be nice to the band and that the investigation into the matter was now closed after all of 48 hours

People in the Iowa Band, who had kept quiet because the administration told them they were investigating, got understandably pissed about being abandoned and started giving details on social media, most notably alleging groping and a physical assault that left one of the band members with a broken rib. This is consistent with some the rumors I'd heard before so I tend to believe it.

In a normal situation this would get everyone involved fired but instead I expect Gary Barta will somehow get a raise

Well that's loving awful.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

MourningView posted:

This whole thing is abhorrent but this argument makes my skin crawl. Last time I checked, ISU didn't play in Iowa City this year. Grow the gently caress up.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

MourningView posted:

Holgo is a way more established name and getting him out of the Big 12 was a big coup they had to invest a ton of resources in, I would be shocked if he doesn't get a pretty long rope.

Not to mention the team is way short on talent at this point and needs a year or two just to get anything resembling depth. And if red-glassed fools want to give Holgo the hook that quick then they deserve to see UH at the bottom of the conference in time for the next realignment.

Those fools are the same fools calling for Deriq King to be redshirted for next year. To which I say sure, do it, and don't get mad when he wins a Heisman at OU.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

Spacemonkey57 posted:

For solace FSU fans should go back and read 2018 Wisconsin previews. Wisconsin has finally found a quarterback that's not just a Scott Tolzien clone!

Wisconsin's offense looks a lot better this year because they now have a qb who can complete screen passes. That's all you need to know about Hornibrook.

For a while, whenever I typed 'loving' into my tablet 'Hornibrook' would come up as one of the recommended next words.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

MourningView posted:

Is there an actual quote somewhere? That sounds really bad.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MourningView posted:

Timeline here:

i know exactly why Gary Barta still has a job, but jesus loving christ why does that man still have a job. he's been through a few incidents that would have gotten a less entrenched AD shitcanned, and each time it underlines that he could not give half a poo poo about any student who is not actively making him and the athletic department money. if all the gender discrimination stuff didn't do the job, unfortunately this probably won't either

but ooh look a rose bowl guess he should stick around

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
That int owned

E: for anyone not watching, LA Tech QB tried to throw the ball away, it hit an FIU lineman in the foot while he was running, he kicked it up in the air and another FIU guy dove to intercept it

Pakled fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
lmao